Type keyword(s) to search

• Start Topic

When Bob alerts MaxDot’s longtime friend and sock manufacturer that he will no longer need their services, Dottie steps in to try to salvage their relationship. Also, Abishola tries to manage her discomfort while attending a drag brunch with Olu and Morenike.

Airdate: 01/23/2023

I'm very impressed that Abishola recognized the drag queen out of drag.

I'm somewhat perturbed that Wati agreed to move to the US without consulting his wife.  I suppose she will be glad to be closer to her daughter and happy that Wati will still be drawing an income.

I was also thinking that an 80-year old shouldn't still need to be working to pay a child's current college tuition, but the actress who plays his wife is 59, so I guess it's possible.

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Like 2
On 1/23/2023 at 9:05 PM, ItCouldBeWorse said:

was also thinking that an 80-year old shouldn't still need to be working to pay a child's current college tuition, but the actress who plays his wife is 59, so I guess it's possible.

I thought when Bob pointed out that Wati said he wanted to retire, Wati replied “not now,” but in 20 years when he would be 80.
Edited: Actually, Wati does say is 80 now. 
But actor Raymond Ma is only 57. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Edited by shapeshifter
On 1/23/2023 at 9:41 PM, shapeshifter said:

I thought when Bob pointed out that Wati said he wanted to retire, Wati replied “not now,” but in 20 years when he would be 80.

That would make more sense since the actor is 57.

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Wink 1

I was going to mention this during the episode where Dele gets his car, but I wasn't sure if Abishola still rode the bus to work. There is no way that Abisohla would ride the bus to work, especially now that she lives in the suburbs. The ride each way would take hours. She has a car in the garage, why wouldn't she use it until Dele can legally drive, then he could drive her to and from work every day to pay it off.

This opening of a manufacturing plant is getting sillier and sillier, now they can afford all brand new equipment for their run down factory.

• Like 8
5 minutes ago, AnimeMania said:

I was going to mention this during the episode where Dele gets his car, but I wasn't sure if Abishola still rode the bus to work. There is no way that Abisohla would ride the bus to work, especially now that she lives in the suburbs. The ride each way would take hours. She has a car in the garage, why wouldn't she use it until Dele can legally drive, then he could drive her to and from work every day to pay it off.

I was just coming here to say the same thing.  I think they're making Abishola far too unwilling to enjoy life to the point of still taking public transportation when she doesn't have to.  Or maybe she doesn't want to appear too affluent to others.  But I also got the sense that she continued doing it to be able to meet up with Kemi, although I don't really remember if she ever said anything about it.

I enjoyed Wati and Dottie's banter in this episode.  He would be a funny addition to the show but I didn't appreciate him making the decision to move to the US without consulting his wife first.

• Like 2

While I liked Wati, I agree that a) the manufacturing plant storyline is silly and b) for the love of all holy, move Christina to a marketing position!!!! The janitor storyline is sillier than the manufacturing storyline.

Kofe sucks in marketing.  I liked how Dottie put Goodwin in his place. He maybe "President" but she is God.  It is her company (along with Bob, Douglas and Christina's) as Dottie has to own the majority shares.

I did like the drag brunch and Abishola out of her element but with Auntie loving it and joining in.

• Like 5
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, greekmom said:

for the love of all holy, move Christina to a marketing position!!!! The janitor storyline is sillier than the manufacturing storyline.

Kofe sucks in marketing.

Oh! Right! That explains Kofe’s bad new logo design with the too-small “dot.” 
I wonder what Christina will come up with? 
Maybe the O in Dot will be bigger than the rest of the letters and filled in with an argyle pattern or something?

Anyway, I’m guessing when Wati arrives and sees a college-educated daughter and granddaughter of the presidents of MaxDot is a janitor, Wati will decide to take his daughter and wife back to Malaysia and enroll his daughter in a prestigious university in Singapore for about a quarter of what he was paying to have her in an American school.

Or something similar.

Edited by shapeshifter
typo
  • Like 4
45 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Anyway, I’m guessing when Wati arrives and sees a college-educated daughter and granddaughter of the presidents of MaxDot is a janitor, Wati will decide take his daughter and wife back to Malaysia and enroll his daughter in a prestigious university in Singapore for about a quarter of what he was paying to have her in an American school.

Or something similar.

I thought something similar - I was hoping Wati would see that situation and scold Dottie and the rest of them for treating Christina so poorly and guilt them into promoting her to a better position.

• Like 6

Personally, I don't like that Goodwin was made president What credentials does he have to be president? The company does not belong to him, it belongs to the family. He is behaving quite entitled if you ask me. I agree completely about the janitor situation. Christina should be re-instated. The brother should be made floor supervisor or something like that by now. I don't think this show can stand more characters. They already have a too large cast and their characters/storylines don't have time to really shine. What happened to the "bus driver romance"? We haven't seen hide nor hair of her or that storyline, which I like. I hoped that we would see it grow. 

• Like 5
9 minutes ago, floridamom said:

What happened to the "bus driver romance"? We haven't seen hide nor hair of her or that storyline, which I like. I hoped that we would see it grow. 

I don't recall if Douglas and the bus driver girlfriend had a definitive break up, but if that story were to be a regular thing, it could quickly overshadow everything else. If this were the 1970s, it would spin off into its own show.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
22 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

I don't recall if Douglas and the bus driver girlfriend had a definitive break up, but if that story were to be a regular thing, it could quickly overshadow everything else. If this were the 1970s, it would spin off into its own show.

Yeah I don't think we've seen Olivia on any episodes after the one last May where he introduced her to the family.  It looks like they've just dropped her, although you never know with these shows.  One day they could pull her out of a hat for an episode like nothing's changed and they're still together.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, floridamom said:

They already have a too large cast and their characters/storylines don't have time to really shine. 

I agree. Wati was great in small spurts with the funny calls.

These guys are really going to push themselves to cancellation.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, greekmom said:

These guys are really going to push themselves to cancellation.

Well, that is the eventual end of all shows, so they might as well cram in all the stories they want to tell.
Maybe one or more will inspire a new show.

• Like 1

Personally, I don't like that Goodwin was made president What credentials does he have to be president? The company does not belong to him, it belongs to the family. He is behaving quite entitled if you ask me. I agree completely about the janitor situation. Christina should be re-instated. The brother should be made floor supervisor or something like that by now. I don't think this show can stand more characters. They already have a too large cast and their characters/storylines don't have time to really shine. What happened to the "bus driver romance"? We haven't seen hide nor hair of her or that storyline, which I like. I hoped that we would see it grow. 

Didn't Bob drop out of college to run the company?  What's his credentials?   Don't recall if they gave Goodwin much backstory, but many immigrants come to America with college degrees/professional certifications from their home counties, and work what are consider "menial" jobs here.  Goodwin worked for the company for years, was floor manager and Bob's right hand.   Definitely more qualified than the other Wheeler siblings.    

• Like 5

Personally, I don't like that Goodwin was made president What credentials does he have to be president? The company does not belong to him, it belongs to the family. He is behaving quite entitled if you ask me

Goodwin had been Bob’s de facto go to for years while keeping him on floor. He earned his promotion. Confidence & Entitlement seems to get misconstrued around here when discussing Goodwin. 

• Like 7

Goodwin seems way more competent and experienced than Douglas at least. I'm not sure Douglas was ready to move back up from the warehouse work. I continue to not like the way Christina is being treated. If Dottie wanted to punish her for the reasons I can't remember, she would do better to put Christina in the warehouse job Douglas had or something similar. They are treating her like crap now (and they have previously) and it doesn't sit well with me. It just makes it obvious Dottie has treated her kids poorly, though I'm not sure if that's the viewpoint the show intended

• Like 7
17 minutes ago, DanaK said:

Goodwin seems way more competent and experienced than Douglas at least. I'm not sure Douglas was ready to move back up from the warehouse work. I continue to not like the way Christina is being treated. If Dottie wanted to punish her for the reasons I can't remember, she would do better to put Christina in the warehouse job Douglas had or something similar. They are treating her like crap now (and they have previously) and it doesn't sit well with me. It just makes it obvious Dottie has treated her kids poorly, though I'm not sure if that's the viewpoint the show intended

Yes to all of your post…. 
however…. 
Christina has a documented history of being mentally ill and acting on impulses in regrettable ways, which Dottie and Bob cannot forget…
however [again]…
Christina has also proven to be highly capable and talented (as well as empathetic), but I doubt that is as apparent to Bob and Dottie as it is to us.

Stay tuned?

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Yes to all of your post…. 
however…. 
Christina has a documented history of being mentally ill and acting on impulses in regrettable ways, which Dottie and Bob cannot forget…
however [again]…
Christina has also proven to be highly capable and talented (as well as empathetic), but I doubt that is as apparent to Bob and Dottie as it is to us.

Stay tuned?

I think it was Christina taking a high level job with a competitor and poaching Goodwin that put her in the doghouse (and then she got fired from the other company), but putting  her in a menial job and treating her like crap is going too far, especially given that Goodwin, who also went to work for the competition, was made president of the company

By the way, Wikipedia reminds me that Goodwin was a professor of economics in Nigeria or on the path to doing so

• Like 6
  • Useful 2

I'm so tired of Abishola's mom.  She brings nothing to show. She's even more dower than Abishola is and I've only recently grown tolerate of Abishola (seeing how horrible her mom is helped).   As noted, this show has too many characters and she's one I'd like to send packing!  What does she even do there all day long in Bob and Abishola's house?  Does she contribute anything other than negativity.

I liked the Drag Brunch and how  Abishola talking to the performer on the bus (even if Abishola has no reason to take the bus).  She clearly had some misconceptions about Drag but at least she seems willing and open to listen and learn.  More Auntie and less Mommy!

• Like 7

I thought the plot with Abishola at the drag show was fun and interesting. Its out of her comfort zone and makes her uncomfortable, but she's trying to keep an open mind, it can be hard to so easily let go of problematic things you were taught, especially when your as stubborn as Abishola.

Aunt Olu is such a blast, I would love to go to a drag brunch with her. 

Can they just end this Christina the janitor story now? Its just getting depressing.

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Like 6

I've been watching this show since day 1 and loved it so much but at this point I won't even be mad if it's cancelled after this season. STOP FOCUSING ON GOODWIN HE SUCKS! STOP THIS STUPID FACTORY STORYLINE IT'S TEDIOUS & UNINTERESTING! Ebun never needed to appear in more than 2-3 episodes!!!

So many horrible decisions.

Meanwhile actual fun characters like Kemi, Tunde and Olu are more and more sidelined each episode.

• Like 2
  • Applause 2
  • Love 2
On 1/23/2023 at 8:41 PM, shapeshifter said:

I've already deleted it form my DVR but I thought Bob's reaction was because Wati was 80 already implying in 20 years he'd likely be dead. 

• Like 4
On 1/23/2023 at 9:05 PM, ItCouldBeWorse said:

...I'm somewhat perturbed that Wati agreed to move to the US without consulting his wife.  I suppose she will be glad to be closer to her daughter and happy that Wati will still be drawing an income.
I was also thinking that an 80-year old shouldn't still need to be working to pay a child's current college tuition, but the actress who plays his wife is 59, so I guess it's possible.  As shapeshifter points out below, Wati said that he was planning to retire in 20 years, when he would be 80.

36 minutes ago, joanne3482 said:

I've already deleted it form my DVR but I thought Bob's reaction was because Wati was 80 already implying in 20 years he'd likely be dead. 

The transcript is up now, and you are correct:

• [BOB] Look, this is good, you just said you wanted to get out.
  • [WATI] I meant decades from now. I'm only 80!
  • [BOB] Well, now you're still young enough to enjoy time with your wife.

So I guess it's "comedy."
I also double checked it on Paramount+.
However, actor Raymond Ma is only 57. 
I wonder if the line was originally "I meant decades from now. When I'm 80!" and Raymond Ma said it the other way and they liked it? It is funnier, but Ma does not look 80. 

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 3