Type keyword(s) to search

The View: Week of 1/23/2023

falltime
  • Start Topic

Monday, Jan. 23 – The Political View with Sen. Raphael Warnock (D-Ga.) (author, “Put Your Shoes On & Get Ready!”) 

Tuesday, Jan. 24 – Sarah Michelle Gellar (“Wolf Pack”); Meagan Good (“Harlem”) 

Wednesday, Jan. 25 – Brianne Howey (“Ginny & Georgia”) 

Thursday, Jan. 26 – ABC News’ Linsey Davis (author, “The Smallest Spot of a Dot: The Little Ways We’re Different, The Big Ways We’re the Same”) 

Friday, Jan. 27 – “The View” honors International Holocaust Remembrance Day with Josh Gad joined by Daniel Patt (co-founder, From Names To Numbers) 

• Thanks 1
4 hours ago, Haleth said:

Good thing Whoopi is off on Fridays.

I adore Raphael Warnock.  I should keep his speeches on a loop because they are so calming and make me feel better.

I know. I would love to sit in worship and hear Warnock preach. 

• Like 3
3 hours ago, geekburger said:

Whoopi back on her “We don’t know what the documents were!” loop....regardless they were classified documents?

No.  We know they were MARKED classified.  What we don't know is if the documents were later declassified.  At least I think that's what Whoopi was trying to say.   

• Love 1

Shut up, Whoppi!  Just now watching and am really horrified at W’s outpouring of confused misinformation suggesting that Biden declassified the documents (which nobody had indicated previously) although she finally said it was just her opinion.  Another reason she should take more days off. And I’m tired of the panel moderator TRYING to say “stuff” and “things,“ two words she eventually resorted to when trying to convey her thoughts on the documents, forcing her viewers once again to interpret her poop (to use another fav term of the panel’s leader.)  Thank goodness for Ana insisting on pointing out a basic difference between the parties - Democratic senators (and close friends of Biden) publicly admonished their Prez, while most of the Republicans refused to criticize even the admitted liar, freshman Rep. George Santos (or whatever his name is😉.)

And the desecration of American natural beauty continues, with Sara’s smears of highlighter and heavy eyeliner, plus new brows. WTH! She looks like Tippi Hedren in The Birds with that hairstyle and overdone, obvious makeup.  Were the early 1960’s really a style zenith?

Edited by flummoxd
TRYING to clarify my poop
  • Like 5
  • Applause 1

Nice Alyssa smack down, Sen Warnock!  She asked whether Biden should continue his bid for re-election, in view of documents scandal, and the Sen. completely deflated her by saying he’d let the pundits “pund.”

• Like 7
  • LOL 2

Today for the first time, I actually felt the “Whoopi eye-roll” on everything coming out of Sunny’s mouth. Not only is she the perfect parent with perfect children (the list goes on and on), but she is also the most successful woman with an amazing husband!!  

Of course, Whoopi takes it too far and has to let everyone know that the subject they are discussing is much too beneath her contribute.  (It is, after all, not about her) But, I felt it.

• Like 5
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1
21 hours ago, flummoxd said:

She looks like Tippi Hedren in The Birds with that hairstyle and overdone, obvious makeup.

Please don't equate Tippi Hedren with Sara.  There's no contest, that green suit is iconic!

21 hours ago, flummoxd said:

Were the early 1960’s really a style zenith?

Yes.

• Like 1
  • LOL 2

On the parenting topic, I think Sunny's delivery came across a little bitter over how the other co-hosts disagree with her in those kinds of discussions all the time. That said, good for Whoopi actually letting her give her view for once, even though she disagrees.

And I agreed with Whoopi during the opening that DeSantis isn't an off-ramp from Trump, the difference between the two of them is almost non-existent at this point.

• Like 1

I get that Whoopi is disappointed that Till didn't get any nominations (though the only category it was being talked about in was Best Actress, so she shouldn't be that surprised) but it was so sour grapes that they didn't even discuss the Oscar nominees.  This was an amazing year in movies and the first time in a long time that I can remember the Oscars having a list of Best Pictures nominees that was so interesting and diverse (blockbusters, indies, foreign films, bio pics, etc) and the fact that they basically just skipped over it (to go over whatever new nonsense Trump is up to, no less), is just ridiculous.

• Like 5
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, 2JEWELL said:

Today for the first time, I actually felt the “Whoopi eye-roll” on everything coming out of Sunny’s mouth. Not only is she the perfect parent with perfect children (the list goes on and on), but she is also the most successful woman with an amazing husband!!  

I was Ok with Sunny's description of not forcing her kids to hug or kiss anyone and not making them eat everything (because I too, didn't like those things as a child - or now as an adult), but not making them have a specific bedtime seemed a little too much. Obviously, they all got through it, but why would you allow a child to be up at all hours when you need to get sleep to be able to go to work? Did she leave them up unsupervised? Did she have to force them to get up for school in the morning? I think this is a recipe for trouble or at least difficulty in daily life.

Topic of spouse not good at his job - if he really isn't that good at it, he either won't get a job or won't do well when he does. Not sure that there's any benefit to the wife saying that he's no good at it. Just encourage him to get a job and explore other options if it doesn't work out. 

• Like 2
33 minutes ago, KittyQ said:

but not making them have a specific bedtime seemed a little too much. Obviously, they all got through it, but why would you allow a child to be up at all hours when you need to get sleep to be able to go to work? Did she leave them up unsupervised? Did she have to force them to get up for school in the morning? I think this is a recipe for trouble or at least difficulty in daily life.

I have a hard time believing  her kids didn't have a set bedtime.  Or maybe they were just so perfect they decided to go to bed at the right time every night.  I've been honest about my increasing dislike of Sunny.  She is smug and for the past year or so I find  her insufferable. 

• Like 5
  • Love 2
22 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

I have a hard time believing  her kids didn't have a set bedtime.  Or maybe they were just so perfect they decided to go to bed at the right time every night.  I've been honest about my increasing dislike of Sunny.  She is smug and for the past year or so I find  her insufferable. 

Agree.  I can see teenagers not having a specific bedtime, but come on.  8 and 10 year olds (and younger) staying up as late as they want?  They need the sleep and parents need the time after they go to bed to have some time without kids.  Can you imagine little kids running around, staying up until you go to bed?  OMG

• Like 4
42 minutes ago, debbie311 said:

Agree.  I can see teenagers not having a specific bedtime, but come on.  8 and 10 year olds (and younger) staying up as late as they want?  They need the sleep and parents need the time after they go to bed to have some time without kids.  Can you imagine little kids running around, staying up until you go to bed?  OMG

Not Sunny’s. Her children are perfect. 🤣

• LOL 10

I was hard on Whoops yesterday but applaud her comment today re Florida’s Gov. De Santis limiting the teaching of black history: “the more you try to avoid things that have already happened, we’re going to be facing it again” - a bit clumsily expressed, perhaps, but I got and support her point.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1

Had to laugh (albeit bitterly) as the panelists stretched to understand the economic situation of lower/middle income earners, where maybe long term pampering of one’s spouse’s career dreams is not financially feasible.  Yeah, Asunción, you were a highly paid & bonused lawyer, and pore ol’  Manny just setting up his orthosurgeon practice when you “sacrificed” to go to CNN - not comparable at all to a tech writer working 2 jobs to pay household bills.  

interesting to hear that all the panel clothing belongs to the show - even Whoopi’s?  (Although she’s been looking smarter this season, imo.). At least now I won’t blame the panel for any fashion faux pas.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
3 hours ago, sugarbaker design said:

Please don't equate Tippi Hedren with Sara.  There's no contest, that green suit is iconic!

Yes.

I agree, especially about the early 60's and style. Good heavens, those were the days of Jackie Kennedy and Audrey Hepburn. It was the last great style period for women.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, flummoxd said:

I was hard on Whoops yesterday but applaud her comment today re Florida’s Gov. De Santis limiting the teaching of black history: “the more you try to avoid things that have already happened, we’re going to be facing it again” - a bit clumsily expressed, perhaps, but I got and support her point.

Speaking of hosts we often criticize, I'll give kudos to Alyssa's comments on the same topic for being honest and acknowledging that while naturally people like McConnell see DeSantis as having better chances than Trump in a general since he comes with less baggage, insider figures have had very little impact on what the base chooses to do the past few years in the end.

• Like 1
  • Applause 2

My siblings and I never had a bedtime. Now, our kids don't either. Everyone just falls asleep when they want to. Needless to say, we are all a bunch of night owls. 

I do think that kids should be encouraged to hug others (i.e. relatives). I was never and kinda wish I was because now  hugs are awkward. I guess my mom was a lot like Sunny as a parent. We all turned out almost as good as Sunny's kids too. (None of us went to Harvard. 😉)

• Like 1
  • Wink 1
11 hours ago, MMEButterfly said:

I agree, especially about the early 60's and style. Good heavens, those were the days of Jackie Kennedy and Audrey Hepburn. It was the last great style period for women.

Ha - asked & answered!  How could I forget Jackie's pillboxes, bouffants, & Camelot glamor, A. Hepburn's Givenchy (?) style, & even MT Moore's sexy(?) capris.  I was a kid & only became interested in fashion after Carnaby St/Mod styles (& the Beatles, of course) became popular in flyover country.

Edited by flummoxd
typo
  • Like 1
13 hours ago, flummoxd said:

interesting to hear that all the panel clothing belongs to the show - even Whoopi’s?  (Although she’s been looking smarter this season, imo.). At least now I won’t blame the panel for any fashion faux pas.

Which segment did this happen? I will admit I only half watch the show but would be interested in going back to hear this topic. I can't believe anyone in wardrobe has any say in what Whoopie decides to wear. 

Edited by js9548
  • Like 1
5 hours ago, js9548 said:

Which segment did this happen? I will admit I only half watch the show but would be interested in going back to hear this topic. I can't believe anyone in wardrobe has any say in what Whoopie decides to wear. 

During the interview with Sarah Michelle Gellar.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, flummoxd said:

Ha - asked & answered!  How could I forget Jackie's pillboxes, bouffants, & Camelot glamor, A. Hepburn's Givenchy (?) style, & even MT Moore's sexy(?) capris.  I was a kid & only became interested in fashion after Carnaby St/Mod styles (& the Beatles, of course) became popular in flyover country.

I binged watched Mad Men a few years ago and swooned over the fashion.

On-topic: I'm shocked how much I like Alyssa. She doesn't get on my nerves like Bitsy, Candace Cameron Burd, Jedediah Bila, and the Princess of Arizona.

• Like 15
  • Love 1

Whoopi was pretty funny in the way she opened the first topic ("I, too, have found classified documents at my house"--for those who haven't watched yet). I agree with Joy that the Pence situation takes a lot of the partisanship out of the discussion, and keeps the spotlight on Trump's obstruction as compared to Pence and Biden who were both forthright and cooperating.

I like that Joy can mess around with all of them, like bringing up Sara's therapy at one point today.

• Like 10
24 minutes ago, TheGreenKnight said:

I agree with Joy that the Pence situation takes a lot of the partisanship out of the discussion, and keeps the spotlight on Trump's obstruction as compared to Pence and Biden who were both forthright and cooperating.

Pence also having classified documents definitely takes some sting out of Republicans wanting to hang Biden for it.  

48 minutes ago, Bookish Jen said:

On-topic: I'm shocked how much I like Alyssa. She doesn't get on my nerves like Bitsy, Candace Cameron Burd, Jedediah Bila, and the Princess of Arizona.

She doesn't bother me.  She didn't even bother me in the lead up to the midterms.

• Like 7

I may not always (often) agree with Alyssa but when she offers a contrary opinion I appreciate that she doesn’t shriek or pout. She sometimes has some interesting insight into the WH, like today when she said staffers were told not to pack up. Wow. 

• Like 19
  • Mind Blown 1
4 minutes ago, Haleth said:

I may not always (often) agree with Alyssa but when she offers a contrary opinion I appreciate that she doesn’t shriek or pout. She sometimes has some interesting insight into the WH, like today when she said staffers were told not to pack up. Wow. 

I appreciate her behind the scenes insight and I find her to be intelligent and pleasant. It is just so nice to not have that angry, shrieking gun nut on the show anymore.     I am not a fan of these advice column and throwaway topics during hot topics. What do y'all think this is about? Yesterday's show felt like a pre-recorded one. 

• Like 10
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Bookish Jen said:

I binged watched Mad Men a few years ago and swooned over the fashion.

i was prepared to dislike her because she worked for whats-his-name, but i really am enjoying her.  she seems to really be a happy and sweet person and gets along with the rest of the crew.

• Like 15
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1

Et tu, View?  Yesterday we were told the panelists’ clothing belonged to the show - today we learn Whoops got her 1977 hoodie from her granddaughter.  For f’s’ sake, if we can’t trust The View, is there hope for this nation🤓?

Edited by flummoxd
Accuracy is important - sorry, y’all
  • LOL 4
19 minutes ago, flummoxd said:

today we learn Whoops stole her 1977 hoodie from her granddaughter.

She didn't steal it. Her granddaughter had the hoodie and praised it, and when she opened her Christmas present, saw that granddaughter had gotten one for her (Whoopi) too.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
7 hours ago, cinsays said:

i was prepared to dislike her because she worked for whats-his-name, but i really am enjoying her.  she seems to really be a happy and sweet person and gets along with the rest of the crew.

I am very glad she doesn't scream, that's for sure. And that she can laugh when there's a joke rather than looking stone-faced over everything Joy or Whoopi say. She's alright. When she showed a picture of her sister recently, they looked so similar in the face, although Alyssa gives me more of a "New Jersey" vibe, maybe it's the tan? (She could be from NJ for all I know. 😄 ) Perhaps that's why I thought she looked nice a few weeks ago with her hair bigger. I remember another poster thought I must have been shading her at the time since they didn't like it, lol, but I was being serious.

Joy looked great today in the white blazer. I remember for years she wore nothing but black, they would even joke about it on the show now and again. It's nice seeing her being more free with the clothes the show gives them to wear.

• Like 1

Am I the only one who was disturbed by the story Joy told today about her family today?  Her father hits her for getting the wrong soda so her mother tries to push him out a window?  There is so much trauma in that sentence, I don't even know where to begin.  Poor Joy!

• Like 2
  • Sad 4
6 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

She didn't steal it. Her granddaughter had the hoodie and praised it, and when she opened her Christmas present, saw that granddaughter had gotten one for her (Whoopi) too.

Apparently, no significance to the year, though, other than "some of us were there". Like a lot of "fast fashion", it doesn't seem to have a particular meaning, although it looks as though it might.

11 minutes ago, Snapdragon said:

Am I the only one who was disturbed by the story Joy told today about her family today?  Her father hits her for getting the wrong soda so her mother tries to push him out a window?  There is so much trauma in that sentence, I don't even know where to begin.  Poor Joy!

Depending on her dad's age/experience, it might have been related to his war experience/PTSD. I know my dad (WWII, Korea, Vietnam vet) sometimes had unexpected flashes of temper. My mom never tried to push him out a window, though, but maybe in a New York Italian community at that time, this was the kind of response people would expect? I think in general, early in the 20th century there was a broader acceptance of physical conflict between close relations. Some of it was due to sexism, some due to cultural expectations. Obviously not acceptable now, of course.

• Useful 4
7 hours ago, Snapdragon said:

Ah, the good old days! 😉

• LOL 1

No wonder Joy’s such a proponent of therapy!  Otoh, her mother’s spirited, shall we say, defense probably reinforced Joy’s self esteem. She has often referred quite negatively to her father, the drunken gambler.  The only positive memory I recall her sharing was his picture in his WW 2 military uniform. And as noted above, this parental tussle must’ve occurred around the late 1940’s, a very different ethos than today - picture it, no EEO, few childcare programs (luckily, Joy had several devoted relatives), and probably strict adherence to the sanctity of marriage in her Catholic family, so no divorce even if pa often lost his pay to drink or the dogs.  Somehow, out of that personal prison grew Joy, a very liberated woman - kudos.

• Like 6
  • Applause 2

They’re all annoying me today - Whoopi with her inability to string together a complete sentence, Joy with her cringeworthy jokes, Sunny with her snooty perfectionism, and Alyssa with her political talking points. Only Sara has been tolerable. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

Joy had the best comments in the first segment, blowing apart the mental illness deflect from Alyssa with, "Don't they have the mentally ill in the E.U.?" Throwing a bone Alyssa's way though, I did laugh when she was begging that George Santos not end up with a show on Netflix.

The topic about the millionaire paying to get his 18-year-old body back was hilarious to me? Between Joy's "She didn't get these back, she gave them back" about Sunny's, ahem, reduction and then Whoopi going off on a tangent about how a study would know mice got their memories back.

• Like 5

I have a family friend who has a granddaughter who at six years old if she had had access to a gun she most likely would have at the very least threatened someone with it.  She is now 13 yrs old and in a mental health/detention center for adolescents.  This after a history of dangerous behavior.  Thankfully nobody was hurt.  I understand Sunny having compassion for that 6 yr old boy who shot his teacher but if his special needs were serious enough for a parent needing to be with him at school and now he has shot someone I feel like this child is going to need more than parental supervision.  

There is something deeply wrong with our society if con artists like Ana Sorokin and George Santos continue to be rewarded even after they are found out.  Go ahead Sunny watch her new reality show.  I will be over here reading a book. 

Sunny says she would like to reverse the aging process so she can get her perfect eyesight back.  That might be true but I also think she is vain enough to want to keep her looks as well.  We are all probably vain enough to want that.

I thought Sara's and Sunny's outfits looked very nice.  Blue is a good color for the both of them.

• Like 10
1 hour ago, bluegirl147 said:

understand Sunny having compassion for that 6 yr old boy who shot his teacher but if his special needs were serious enough for a parent needing to be with him at school and now he has shot someone I feel like this child is going to need more than parental supervision.  

At the very least think twice about having a gun in the house, no matter how well secured. 

• Like 7
  • Applause 2
On 1/25/2023 at 2:24 PM, cinsays said:

I also like Alyssa. I could see myself being friend with her. 

I know school shootings are sadly nothing shocking in the USA, but I am shocked by just how young the kid was. Is he the youngest school shooter of all time? I thought most school shooters were close to around middle school age and older, but he was freaking kindergarten or 1st grade age. Nuts. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Well, I guess we all know which book will be at the top of Sunny's summer reading picks...

I don't care who you are, using someone else's wedding to announce your big news is just tacky.  My brother's wedding was schedule for right around the time we were planning on announcing my third pregnancy, so I called him a month before and asked if he'd be fine with my husband and I announcing it to the extended family the day after the wedding because I didn't want to steal his thunder like an a-hole.  He was fine with that plan, and then covid hit like a week later, cancelling both his wedding and our in person announcement.   

• Sad 3
On 1/25/2023 at 12:48 PM, flummoxd said:

Et tu, View?  Yesterday we were told the panelists’ clothing belonged to the show - today we learn Whoops got her 1977 hoodie from her granddaughter.  For f’s’ sake, if we can’t trust The View, is there hope for this nation🤓?

I remember many years ago Whoopi said she wears mens white starched long sleeve shirts that were hers ( felt it was a staple) . I think they did a segment backstage showing clothes and their  stylists.   I recall seeing Whoopi’s racks of  crazy shoes that have tamed down quite a bit lately.   Sometimes she surprises me in the open jacket or kimono type wraps or Mondrian tops that have pretty patterns and flatter her and suit here.  Not so much now but I used to hate Joys  black slacks that were intentionally too short so I assumed they were  her own. She’s wearing such great colors now too. 
I agree with the pleasant and likable fun demeanor of Alyssa.  I’m sure the whole  panel was able to cut back on Xanax, Vino and or weed once the last member left not so quietly.   

It such a good segment with Josh Gad 

• Like 4