Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E11:Rising Sun

Raja
  • Start Topic

When Special Agent Pike is ambushed while working undercover with a local Japanese crime family, the team must find the person responsible for orchestrating the attacks.

I get Whistler is now FBI, but they played it as if she was on the Yakuza case for years when she would have been Defense Intelligence Agency. Of course if they follow the New Orleans template she will transfer again next year to NCIS.

CGIS again for the win! Pike's surviving the hit on him was impressive.

• Like 1

I decided to tune in again to see how it was going and was pleasantly surprised that Whistler didn't bug me. Apparently as long as Lucy is gone, Whistler is okay.  Please TV gods, lose Lucy aboard ship out somewhere on the Pacific. Apparently she is what makes Whistler unbearable to me.

Speaking of TV gods, isn't it miraculous how no matter how many bad guys are shooting and how big or automatic the guns, our folks never/almost never get hit and take them all out with regular handguns. Every time. And no matter how big a headstart the bad guy has, our heroes always manage to out run them and catch them. They really need to teach our real law enforcement how to do that.

• Like 3
7 hours ago, Andyourlittledog2 said:

I decided to tune in again to see how it was going and was pleasantly surprised that Whistler didn't bug me. Apparently as long as Lucy is gone, Whistler is okay.  Please TV gods, lose Lucy aboard ship out somewhere on the Pacific. Apparently she is what makes Whistler unbearable to me.

Speaking of TV gods, isn't it miraculous how no matter how many bad guys are shooting and how big or automatic the guns, our folks never/almost never get hit and take them all out with regular handguns. Every time. And no matter how big a headstart the bad guy has, our heroes always manage to out run them and catch them. They really need to teach our real law enforcement how to do that.

I think being presented as an in-progress Lucy-Tate almost office romance, like Agent Boone is presented as a family man might be beyond the skill set of the production. 

Given an ex tank commanders eye to the choice of weapons by the Yakuza prince when he drove up on his technical I was thinking he choose wrong. Finding machine guns being difficult he used what he could get.  However if any real law enforcement thinks that even an armored SUV is going to provided anything more than visual concealment (Firefighter-Paramedic Gage once used the approved Army terminology on Emergency) as those .50 caliber rounds would tear through anything less than a main battle tank they are in for bad day.

The problem I had was Janey calling in her on folks/FBI as emergency help instead of HPD for immediate effect. And with the crossover and her Agent in Charge status being there, or missing for plot purposes, what happened to the REACT force used in the early episodes this season. Maybe I have gotten used to FBI shows since Criminal Minds playing up their ranks above Special Agent.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Raja said:

Given an ex tank commanders eye to the choice of weapons by the Yakuza prince when he drove up on his technical I was thinking he choose wrong. Finding machine guns being difficult he used what he could get.  However if any real law enforcement thinks that even an armored SUV is going to provided anything more than visual concealment (Firefighter-Paramedic Gage once used the approved Army terminology on Emergency) as those .50 caliber rounds would tear through anything less than a main battle tank they are in for bad day.

I have zero training and even I knew that gun was going to go right through pretty much anything it hit. I understand that the impulse in the situation would be to duck behind the truck though. There wasn't much else they could do. And the one guy needed to take out a bunch of people at once. Usually on a show like this that means poison or bombs. But it's not as exciting as the big ass gun. TV writers are pretty predictable. Unfortunately.

Enjoyed seeing Agent Pike.  He is funny, and I liked the bro bond that he and Ernie formed by the end of the episode. 

But what happened to Alan(?).  The agent that was temporarily replacing Lucy.  

I enjoyed seeing Whistler in the field, she is gaining confidence being a field agent and was completely unafraid to back Jane up.  

I too wondered why after they knew that Kenji had taken that huge gun, why wouldn't they have gotten backup?  There would have been teams with body armour and shields.

I actually couldn't care less about AJ Hale and Wally and the investigation.  Don't care at all.  Wouldn't mind seeing Wally more, but I keep hoping we will see more of Jesse's family life.

• Like 2

Yeah, Whistler is a good character on her own, or rather when she's not involved in relationship drama with Lucy. I like her interactions with all of the team and I hope the writers let that dynamic intact and ease up on the drama once Lucy returns.

As for all the shooting relating shenanigans and nonsense: ten seasons of Hawaii Five-0 have me convinced that bullets and human anatomy just work differently in Hawaiian air, no biggie.

• Like 1
  • LOL 5
9 hours ago, blackwing said:

But what happened to Alan(?).  The agent that was temporarily replacing Lucy.  

I think he was a one off comic relief and Agent Pike had that role on this episode with the crossover event too stuffed to even give many main cast members on all three of the shows little more than a cameo appearance.

• Like 1
On 1/17/2023 at 9:37 PM, Andyourlittledog2 said:

Please TV gods, lose Lucy aboard ship out somewhere on the Pacific.

I don't think the show would be brave enough to go this way but this is not the first time I have thought that Tennant and Whistler would make a much better couple.

On 1/18/2023 at 5:40 AM, Raja said:

those .50 caliber rounds would tear through anything less than a main battle tank

Fortunately NCIS Hawaii has installed Plot Armor®️ on their SUVs. Good thing Jesse didn't bring his family-mobile, would have been awkward trying to explain the .50 cal holes to the wife and kids. Or is it kid? I know he has a daughter because we've seen her but I feel like he might also have a son too. But I don't remember the details of his family life because we aren't constantly being dragged into some contrived nonsense involving them, unlike some agents...

On 1/18/2023 at 12:04 PM, blackwing said:

I actually couldn't care less about AJ Hale and Wally and the investigation.  Don't care at all.

Same here, this plot is just dumb false tension. OMG you must talk to the FBI so they don't think you're a criminal! Because that's how that works! You explain to them that you borrowed money from the gangster because your son let you down (real dick move there, Dad) and so you just had to take dirty money in exchange for favors instead. Because if your restaurant went out of business you'd evaporate or some shit. But at no point was money laundered. The FBI will believe you on this provided you invite them to come and talk to you and tell them in person how innocent you are.

• LOL 2

Yupp, Whistler is more tolerable without Lucy. Nothing will happen to their relationship, they have quite a strong, active fandom.

I giggled when Jane started yelling in Japanese. When she learned the language? I think she didn’t speak any Japanese in Gaijin episode (S01•E05).

🤔🤔🤔