Type keyword(s) to search

The Chosen - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I love this show. It humanizes Christ in a way I didn't even know I needed. 

Anyway. Simon is BY FAR my least favorite. He is bossy and mean and it doesn't help that Matthew is BY FAR my favorite so Simon being a jerk to Matthew just grinds my gears. But as we are deep into season 3 Simon especially is growing. The season 2 premiere is still my favorite episode so far. Every time I watch it I sob. 

• Like 4

I absolutely loves this series and can’t wait for season four. It is well done and has really awakened my desire to ready my Bible more. I have a crush on Simon Peter. Oops, better repent, he’s married. Lol

• Like 2

The CW is about to start airing all 3 Seasons of The Chosen starting on Sunday, July 16, 2023 at 8pm. The first two Seasons can be streamed now for free on the Roku Channel and the show is also available on Peacock.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Just started watching. I hadn’t heard of this show before, but I think they do a phenomenal job of showing Jesus as a man of his time, particularly a Jewish man.

Very well-acted and with high production values

• Like 4

I had never heard of the series but was at a dinner last night where Dallas Jenkins spoke.  He was so genuine and bright and I told my husband ‘we have to start watching this”.  I just watched the first 4 episodes of season 1 and to me, it’s so interesting and makes the Bible come alive in a very relatable way.  Jonathan Roumie who plays Jesus is just right, from the first episodes I’ve seen.  Dallas talked about casting actors and how they imagined people in the Bible would look like.  He talked about how much research they do and how Scripture is the absolute guideline, and they fill in scenes and dialogue with what would be plausible.  I actually enjoy the little anachronisms in dialogue and scenes.  

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Excellent series.  I particularly like how the Romans are portrayed.  No dummies, they.

My main criticism is that the female characters are seen as way more forceful than those patriarchal times would have allowed.  Instead of being cowed and ever weary in public, I see confident and strong women.  This is a serious anachronism.  This is not to say they weren't intelligent and brave IRL.  They had to be.  To that end, they knew their place (in the patriarchy).  

Roumie's Christ is the best portrayal I have yet seen.  

I've just watched the 2023 Christmas special/movie.  I very much enjoyed that we saw a slice of the sheperds' lives.  The Joseph/Mary dynamic carried on the series' propensity to give us women in charge.  This Joseph was certainly faithful and strong.  He exhibited serious wisdom, as well.   Yet. Mary was always proven out to be the wisest.  The reveal at the end of this show seemed reasonable to me.  It was fascinating to see a Mary in physical decline as she aged.  Here again, TPTB were quite reasonable in their imagining of those scenes.

For me, The Chosen is the finest dramatic presentation of those super significant times.    

• Like 4
  • Useful 1

I've found this late but am loving it! I'm on Season 2 episode 7: Reckoning  I especially enjoyed around 27 minutes in where the Roman Quintus speaks with Jesus -- both actors were brilliant in this exchange. 

• Like 1
(edited)

I went to the theater to see the first three episodes of season 4 and it was amazing storytelling. It was actually more powerful watching it on a big screen and I will watch it again when it airs on the app.

Edited by Madding crowd
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

‘The Chosen’ Season 5 Starts Production in April, as Season 4 Prepares to Hit Broadcast and Streaming After Theatrical Run (EXCLUSIVE)

The Chosen Season 4 opened last month No. 2 at the domestic box office, with $8.6 million after just six days in theaters. Timed to Holy Week, the show’s theatrical run was recently extended from Thursday, March 28 to March 30 (with the season’s eight episodes spread out over three days).

Following The Chosen's theatrical release, Season 4 distribution will next go to “The Chosen” app, followed by home video and third-party broadcast and streamer outlets.

The Chosen Season 5 will depict the Holy Week before the crucifixion of Jesus Christ and will start production on April 11, 2023 in Utah, before heading to Texas. 

The entirety of Chosen Season 6 will depict one day in the life of Jesus Christ. The initial plan was for The Chosen series to run seven seasons.

• Like 1