Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E12: Fight

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, mansonlamps said:

Just seemed like normal Queen Bee conflict to me.

That's what it seemed like to me, too.  I got my little butt kicked twice in elementary school but, in my defense, I was small for my age.  One thing I learned is that you'd better be ready to fight if she's got older brothers like those girls did, because they probably learned a lot about fighting from them.  😅  The good thing was, I wound up being friends with both of them.

• Like 1
On 1/14/2023 at 12:12 AM, kickingnames said:

I have a couple of teacher friends who are definitely shorter than a few 8th graders — they would NOT get pushed around though. (They are some fierce elementary teachers who also enjoy this show.)

I was an early bloomer and I’m tallish (5’8”), and I was taller than my fourth and fifth grade teacher (same teacher - it was a vertical class). She was petite, maybe 5’1”. I also went to middle school with a guy who looked 25 when he was 14 - he had a goatee (he was really good-looking). I think Quinta is under 5’ tall, so a lot of the middle schoolers are probably taller than she is.

Edited by Empress1
  • Like 2
5 hours ago, Empress1 said:

I was an early bloomer and I’m tallish (5’8”), and I was taller than my fourth and fifth grade teacher (same teacher - it was a vertical class). She was petite, maybe 5’1”. I also went to middle school with a guy who looked 25 when he was 14 - he had a goatee (he was really good-looking). I think Quinta is under 5’ tall, so a lot of the middle schoolers are probably taller than she is.

I’m 5’2” and most of our middle schoolers are taller than I am, especially the 8th graders. I avoid the hallway during class changes.

• Like 3
22 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

But not recognizing the difference between spinach and collard greens? OMG, was he raised in a cave by wolves?

That part was confusing to me. Even if Jacob cannot tell the difference between the two, I can't imagine that Barbara does not either. She's older, she's a mom, she's done her share of cooking. So I wondered if this was about confusing the seeds, as in Jacob handled planting them and of course Barbara can't see what went into the dirt. I haven't rewatched the original episode where Jacob and Barbara started the garden, but I don't remember them splitting up the garden and saying Jacob would be responsible for one half and Barbara would be responsible for the other. They seemed to be working together, so Barbara wouldn't be staying out of Jacob's half and thus not noticing that he was mixing up the two greens. So it seems to me like it had to be a planting issue, especially since Gregory directed this specifically at Jacob and not Barbara.

• Like 2
  • Useful 2
On 1/14/2023 at 12:12 AM, kickingnames said:

Y’all are making me so grateful that I’ve never seen Toy Story 3. Sounds brutal emotionally.

On 1/14/2023 at 12:17 AM, Annber03 said:

I think I've seen bits and pieces of that one before, when at my sister's place. 

But yeah, I'm hesitant to sit down and watch the whole thing, too. I can't rewatch the second Toy Story movie because of "When She Loved Me". Nope. Can't do it. 

I haven't ever seen that one, and now I don't know if I should watch it for further context, or should definitely avoid it. Or watch while doing something else?

I lived this episode. Barbara was perfection, Gregory's dad was exactly as I imagined, Janine's issues ring perfectly true, and the fantasy football team ups were great. The kids, as always, are a constant delight in their truth and vivacity. Love this show!

• Like 3
17 hours ago, possibilities said:

The seeds of spinach and collards look very different from each other (I've grown both), but I could believe people who haven't grown them before might not know that. But seeds come in packages clearly labeled.

Thanks for confirming that the seeds look different!

I could see Jacob emptying out the packages prior to planting. That wouldn't be a problem for an experienced gardener like yourself or Gregory, but for Jacob it would be.

• Like 3
On 1/11/2023 at 9:40 PM, peridot said:

I'm surprised that Janine didn't do anything after that girl cut off her sentence and when the other girl slapped the drawing down.  I know she's disciplined kids before, this episode made her seem inept. 

Yeah, I thought Janine showed terrible judgment in trying to force those girls to be friends, and how she handled what was clearly an escalating situation.  I also felt like the character we know is too experienced a teacher to be making these kind of mistakes.  I don't love it when characters are made to look incompetent for the sake of the story.    

• Like 2
On 1/11/2023 at 9:31 PM, Annber03 said:

"Do you want to watch Toy Story tomorrow?"

"Which one? I can't do three again."

There's a reason I've only watched Toy Story 3 once!

And "Hidden hoe-ing" just took my ass out!!!

• Like 3