Type keyword(s) to search

S01 - 1999, ICQ and Beepers

Bort
  • Start Topic

3 hours ago, RedInk said:

Well this pond is sadistic, huh? Is it taking you where “you need to be” or where it “needs you to be?” Because it really doesn’t do anyone any favors. 

And Kat & Alice got over the accident a lot quicker than I’d imagined. I see they’re going with the if you hadn’t caused it, something else would have angle, but I’d still need a little more than a day for that one. 

Why doesn't the pond take you to buy the winning lottery numbers in your state?  😂

Edited by Simba122504
  • LOL 7

I really enjoyed this show and am so glad it is getting a second season. It does such a good job with both the mystery aspects and they emotional relationship between Del, Kat and Alice. 

I was concerned there wouldn’t be a lot of places for them to go next season but they setup both the 1812 time travel and the implications of Colton recognized Kat. Makes me wonder if Colton ever traveled farther into the future. 

I thought Elliot’s decision made a lot of sense. He didn’t specifically know he was going to start dating her but he did know he was waiting for her to return home. No matter what he did he knew he was going to be back in his hometown teaching science. 

On the subject I really liked how they subtly seeded hints. His simmering and quickly buried resentment when telling Alice the burden of knowing your future, him telling Kat that it wasn’t hard to come back home because he always knew it was going to happen and his conversation with Byron last week about moving on. I wouldn’t be surprised if there is a time jump between season (giving Kat’s hair time to grow out) and he moves away for a while. 

I always loved that they hinted at the dog being the key from the very beginning. The very first time the pond was mentioned it was Del saying she couldn’t keep the dog out. That was why the dog being involved didn’t surprise me but I never clocked Jacob talking about seeing a dog. I’m curious what other hints there are. 

13 hours ago, Daff said:

Moreover, plunged into 1814, he would have been completely perplexed by the people and surroundings.

If not much time has passed after he went missing he would know her as Alice’s mom. 

On 3/27/2023 at 11:31 AM, kariyaki said:

There’s also the caveat of them going to where the pond sends them. So while we know that Kat is in 1814 to rescue Jacob, that doesn’t necessarily mean that the pond originally sent him there. Could be that it sent him to 1794 and he’s 20 years older — which would make him harder to rescue, as he'll have mostly forgotten his origin, chalked it up to childhood imagination and may not want to be rescued.

This has been my assumption.  In the first episode they established that the amount of time spent in the past (hours, days, etc.) also passes in your own time.

I suppose the pond could choose to send Kate into a mid point of his jump. But I cannot see the pond allowing him to return before he's reached the amount of time he was gone in his original time period.  Kat may visit him at various points in his life.  But his return should match up in passage of time unless the pond makes up rules for any series of travels as it sees fit... which, would be annoying from a world building perspective but we're dealing with nonsense in the first place.

The one thing the show world seems determined to preserve is the anti-paradox theory discussed above. Jacob, whatever age he is when/if he comes back, cannot return earlier than the amount of time already seen pass in his original time or it would effect the actions necessary for Kat's travels to find him.

Edited by RachelKM
  • Useful 1
On 3/7/2023 at 9:49 AM, Daff said:

Also, I watched the intro to episode one again, after seeing how long, black, and curly Del’s hair was in the 90s. The woman running is wearing long white nightwear, she’s barefoot, and we only see her back and side (never her face). But that sure looks like Del’s pre-grey hair. And what could that woman possibly have done in 1814 to cause men with guns to be chasing her down?

I have not watched the finale yet, so I skipped the last couple of pages of posts, so I apologize if this has been addressed already, but when I read this post, I laughed in my head and started coming up with a list of reasons:

1.  Independent thought.

2.  Trying to own land

3.  Knowing how to swim.  (!!)

4.  Working knowledge of algebra.

And *especially* if she is in fact a modern woman gone back in time.  She wouldn't fit in at all!

• Like 1
  • LOL 2

Ok, someone asked me a question that I can't seem to answer adequately.

Here goes: How can Alice be the one to send the letter to her mother if she never would have even been in Port Haven without the letter being sent. So, if Kat and Alice never came to Port Haven, they wouldn’t have discovered time travel and couldn’t have traveled back to send the letter.

11 hours ago, kamminj said:

Ok, someone asked me a question that I can't seem to answer adequately.

Here goes: How can Alice be the one to send the letter to her mother if she never would have even been in Port Haven without the letter being sent. So, if Kat and Alice never came to Port Haven, they wouldn’t have discovered time travel and couldn’t have traveled back to send the letter.

I think it's along the same lines as "it was as it ever was."  Adult Kat recognized that she was always at the fair where Jacob disappeared.  No matter what she tried to do, he was always going to disappear because what happens always happens.  Adult Elliot knows what happened in both timelines but there was nothing he could do about it.  He just told Alice he would help her because he knew what was going to happen.  At some point, in some time line, the letter was sent even though the people in this timeline didn't know about it.  (Got a headache yet?  Time travel is loopy.) 

Does anyone understand the writing in the book - Jacob's initials and the ripped out page? Was that not there before? It seems like Kat thought it was a clue but it lost me?

38 minutes ago, LGK said:

Does anyone understand the writing in the book - Jacob's initials and the ripped out page? Was that not there before? It seems like Kat thought it was a clue but it lost me?

They didn’t explain the book but I’m guessing Kat figured out that Jacob's doodle logo was written in the 1800s.

On 3/29/2023 at 7:58 PM, kamminj said:

She couldn’t. It would be a chicken and egg paradox. But if the timeline is self correcting and ensures that fixed events always happen it would be possible. It would mean that Alice would have had to end up in Port Haven the first time a different way. Like if Kat somehow found out about Jacob being declared dead and decided to return. 

I thought the breakup was a little out of the blue, but don’t blame him for doing so.  They aren’t ready.

As much as he wants her to understand he’s been living this forever, he needs to understand that she hasn’t.  Of course she is obsessed with the past right now.

• Like 2
11 hours ago, Crs97 said:

As much as he wants her to understand he’s been living this forever, he needs to understand that she hasn’t.  Of course she is obsessed with the past right now.

I think he did get that. But she was so wrapped up in everything she was experiencing and feeling that she was completely unaware of what he was going through. I don't really blame her and I don't think Elliot necessarily blamed her either. He just reached a point were he couldn't do it anymore. He spent his entire life paying attention to Kat's feelings with her only partially returning that. And for 20 years of that life he was trapped by the knowledge that everything in his life was leading him back to Kat whether it was what he wanted or not keeping him from getting over her. And he was alone in that knowledge. That's a lot. 

• Like 3
On 4/1/2023 at 6:37 PM, Sproutlet said:

I know a lot of fans were upset with Elliott for breaking things off,

My 14 year old was SOOOO upset by this, I can't even tell you.  I had to keep reminding her that there is a second season and Elliot can come back at any time.  

Okay, I just watched this series because I am a fan of the very niche category of Canadian female led time travel dramas (Being Erica!!!!) and it did not disappoint.

(I know it's not fully canadian, but it's close enough)

I did take a break after a couple of episodes because I wasn't sure, but once I watched a few other shows on my list and I wanted something different to watch... I went back to this and I was happy I did! Some of the stuff was predictable, some of it wasn't - and the drama was done well!

I grew up in the 90s (born 1990) and I enjoyed the 90s references (and the music!). Definitely hoping they keep the quality up next season (or at least don't have a huge nosedive in quality)

• Like 2

I sure wouldn't mind if they repeated Season One before they begin Season Two.  I may need a refresher on some of the characters and storyline details.  We are somewhat limited on streaming some programs in Canada, so I think I'll go on a bit of a search to see what I can find. 👀

• Like 1