Type keyword(s) to search

S01 - 1999, ICQ and Beepers

Bort
  • Start Topic

2 hours ago, Notabug said:

I think the other names have to be living children of either Colton or Stephen and, since there has been no suggestion that Del has other kids or Kate has other siblings; they have got to be Stephen's.

Or Colton has one or more older siblings with kids. I suppose it’s also possible that Stephen could be a cousin of Colton. 

In my family a book with that structure would have be impossible to follow since my mom was one of five and her dad was one of eight. 

The thing that stands out to me about Colton's funeral program is the line about "the land that raised him". Normally I'd just think it's a pretty way of stating he farmed the land where he'd lived all his life and it was really important to him. But don't forget, this is a show where we are debating possible sentience of a pond. Does this mean there are some other supernatural phenomena on this land? Sounds like some things happened to Colton growing up as well...

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
On 3/15/2023 at 4:14 PM, Dani said:

In my family a book with that structure would have be impossible to follow since my mom was one of five and her dad was one of eight. 

I wasn’t clear why it was in an old almanac.  Do they really have space in those for this kind of information?

1 hour ago, Crs97 said:

I wasn’t clear why it was in an old almanac.  Do they really have space in those for this kind of information?

Seems like it wasn't an almanac, just an old blank book? It did, however, indicate 1814 on the cover, which was the date the book began - and was coincidentally the same year the girl jumped into the pond at the very beginning of the first episode.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
On 3/14/2023 at 8:18 AM, RedInk said:

I’m afraid it is someone from the past that causes him to swerve, mainly because it’s a clip they show repeatedly, and I can’t think of a reason his death scene would be filmed if it weren’t crucial to the plot. Of course if we stick to the “we can’t change the past” rule, it could be a fakeout, and he dies in a different accident later. 

I’ve been making a lot of false assumptions based on this being a Hallmark show, but this series breaks from the formula quite a bit. It reminds me of when I watched the first season of “You” on Lifetime - I couldn’t convince anyone to check it out because of the Lifetime stigma, and I’m having the same issue here. I tell people this one is different, but no one believes me 😜

This is my first Hallmark TV series. I also watched the first season of "You" live on Lifetime, but I still haven't watched the Netflix season. Can they bring in another possible love interest for Alex because she and her classmate have no chemistry. I'm glad she has moved on from Nick, though. Yeah, the crying woman will turn out to be Alex. 

9 hours ago, Crs97 said:

There are usually pages for notes, but they’re not typically at the front of the issue. Anyone notice if there are loose pages stuffed in the book? This doesn’t seem strange to me, as both sets of grandparents were very frugal. I have several little leather bound books in which were glued/taped recipes, news clippings, etc. 

S01.E09: The Day the Music Died
thewayhome-ep109-0002-cb-rv1.jpg
Alice says goodbye to the past, knowing she needs to make a life in the present; Kat tries to stop her father's death; Del revisits memories in a new light.

Premiere Date: Sunday, March 19, 2023      9pm     Hallmark 
Next New Episode at New Time: March 26, 2023      8pm     

1 hour ago, ShowsILoveToHate said:

Sorry, guys, but where have you seen a funeral scene? I’ve watched every episode. 🤔 Thanks! 

There hasn't been a funeral scene.  Just Del saying that the 'other woman' was crying loudly at Colton's funeral.  We suspect that Kat ends up returning and is the other woman but we haven't seen it so far.

• Useful 2
Just now, Sproutlet said:

I suspected either Kat or Alice would be connected to Colton's death, but damn, that was a gut punch. What a devastating scene.

I love how this show brings in all sorts of emotions without being saccharine. In my opinion, at least. The scenes with Kat and Colton in the support group and Alice singing with Colton one last time were really moving.

Once again, I love Elliott for standing up for himself and telling Kat what she needs to hear. 

I agree, all of the final scenes with Colton, including Del's, were really well done.  So, now we know the cause of Colton's accident, are we to think that he would not have had it if his daughter and granddaughter hadn't decided to travel back to stop it?  

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

Probably an unpopular opinion but I think this would have been better as a movie rather than a series. It seems like they are really stretching the material to fill all the episodes. The plot is moving at a glacial pace with minuscule developments from week to week. I liked the show initially but it's become tedious. I have no idea what they will do with a second season.

• Like 2
39 minutes ago, Jillybean said:

Probably an unpopular opinion but I think this would have been better as a movie rather than a series. It seems like they are really stretching the material to fill all the episodes. The plot is moving at a glacial pace with minuscule developments from week to week. I liked the show initially but it's become tedious. I have no idea what they will do with a second season.

I was wondering the same. If they don’t shift focus to Del’s origin story (or Jacob’s), I can’t see where they can go.

I also don’t want to spend a season watching the two leads process that they’re somewhat responsible for the death of their father/grandfather. That’s a plot point most of us saw coming, but I hated how it was executed. Alice and Kat standing in the very road at the very time his accident occurred should have made one of them consider that they could play some part in it, just like interfering with Jacob the night he disappeared may have lead to his disappearance. I understand that what-happened-will-always-happen is show canon, but it was so logic-defying - it’s kind of exactly what someone would do if one WANTED to cause an accident. 

• Like 8

Wow, I really hate that they had Alice and Kat end up being the cause of Colton's accident (totally saw it coming, though). How will they (Kat, especially) ever get over what happened? After Kat ended up being the reason that the bike was at the fair/carnival the night Jacob disappeared, I don't understand how none of them were like "Hey, maybe we shouldn't stand in the road in the VERY spot where Colton crashes. Maybe we actually CAUSE the accident." 🤦‍♀️

Nobody is really too bothered by Kat and Alice repeatedly showing up in cold weather with wet hair, which is strange.

Del mentioned that the pond completely freezes over in the winter. Is that going to be relevant sometime soon? Like Kat or Alice time travel and end up trapped under the ice at some point? (I think we only have one episode left this season)?

"The pond sends you where it wants you to go" or whatever it was that Elliott said. Well, this pond is evil if it allowed Kat and Alice to show up the night that Colton died and cause his death! 

I think we'll end the season with a Jacob sighting or some big new clue about what happened to him. 

• Like 8
14 hours ago, Jillybean said:

The plot is moving at a glacial pace with minuscule developments from week to week.

Interesting because I’ve felt the opposite. The show is moving much faster than I expected, particularly given the shortish season. When this started I would have guessed the farthest they would go by the season finale would be Jacob’s disappearance or Kat finding out the time travel. 

13 hours ago, SonofaBiscuit said:

Del mentioned that the pond completely freezes over in the winter. Is that going to be relevant sometime soon? Like Kat or Alice time travel and end up trapped under the ice at some point? (I think we only have one episode left this season)?

I doubt it. I think that was just for Alice to realize she might miss the opportunity to go back and would regret it. She’s already gone back to New Years Eve. 

13 hours ago, SonofaBiscuit said:

"The pond sends you where it wants you to go" or whatever it was that Elliott said. Well, this pond is evil if it allowed Kat and Alice to show up the night that Colton died and cause his death! 

In fairness to the pond, it didn’t make them stand in the middle of the road like idiots. Just like when Kat inevitably shows up to the funeral knowing Del saw a strange woman there crying it really won’t be the ponds fault.

I knew it was coming but I really wish the went with a different cause of the accident. 

4 hours ago, Dani said:

In fairness to the pond, it didn’t make them stand in the middle of the road like idiots. Just like when Kat inevitably shows up to the funeral knowing Del saw a strange woman there crying it really won’t be the ponds fault.

I knew it was coming but I really wish the went with a different cause of the accident. 

Agreeeee. To add to my earlier post, it’s also kind of ridiculous that Kat - a newspaper reporter who meticulously investigated her brothers disappearance - missed the detail in the same newspaper that covered her father’s death about two mysterious women running into the woods after the accident. And doesn’t even consider that she or her daughter would be the grieving woman at the funeral? I mean…

This time travel business really negates free will, huh? I guess if what happened will always happen, they really can’t stop themselves from going back into that pond to screw everything up. They were always going to be making poor decisions 😉

• Like 3

So, Byron is leaving the country. Anyone think that he looked a lot like Colton in that last scene, talking to Elliot?

I’m wondering if any of these characters will be part of a second season, or if a whole new set, or generation will be involved?

Edited by Daff
  • Useful 1
4 minutes ago, RedInk said:

This time travel business really negates free will, huh? I guess if what happened will always happen, they really can’t stop themselves from going back into that pond to screw everything up. They were always going to be making poor decisions 😉

I don’t think it was shown to negate free will mainly because Kat never even tried to not go back. She was always determined to be there on that night. 

Just now, Daff said:

So, Byron is leaving the country. Anyone think that he looked a lot like Colton in that last scene, talking to Elliot?

Yes. This episode had more than a few scenes that seem to hint a deeper mystery for a few characters. At this point I would be surprised is there isn’t some bigger reveal for Colton, Del and Byron. There was a lot of odd dialogue. 

14 minutes ago, Dani said:

I don’t think it was shown to negate free will mainly because Kat never even tried to not go back. She was always determined to be there on that night. 

I realize I’m nerding out and taking this too far 😂, but that’s what I mean. It’s a confusing concept for me to explain, but her dad died because she was there. That means she had to do the exact thing that led them to this reality. They’re showing that the past isn’t the only thing unchanged - the future can’t be changed either. So there aren’t really choices, they’re just on this trajectory of doing what they do. Is that right? Or if she realized it was a mistake to go back, her dad would just…appear in the present? Idk.

Edited by RedInk
1 hour ago, RedInk said:

I realize I’m nerding out and taking this too far 😂, but that’s what I mean. It’s a confusing concept for me to explain, but her dad died because she was there. That means she had to do the exact thing that led them to this reality. They’re showing that the past isn’t the only thing unchanged - the future can’t be changed either. So there aren’t really choices, they’re just on this trajectory of doing what they do. Is that right? Or if she realized it was a mistake to go back, her dad would just…appear in the present? Idk.

I have to admit I have thought about more than I should. What you’re saying is the reason I’ve never liked stable time loop plot. It’s like trying to figure out if the chicken or the egg came first. Did Kat ever make a choice or is she just making the same choice because each time she is the exact same circumstances with the same knowledge. If the next time Alice or Kat go back could they tell past Elliot what really happened would he then give Kat information that could actually change things. 

I’ve seen other time travel plots go with the idea that the past can be changed and some where the past will always “right” itself. So Kat chooses not to go back but still ends up there no matter how hard she tries not to or she doesn’t and an animal causes him to swerve and he dies anyway. I don’t know what the show is going with and I’m not sure the show even knows yet. But I do think we will get more answers. 

15 hours ago, Jillybean said:

Probably an unpopular opinion but I think this would have been better as a movie rather than a series. It seems like they are really stretching the material to fill all the episodes. The plot is moving at a glacial episode, Katestretch minuscule developments from week to week. I liked the show initially but it's become tedistretcho idea what they will do with a second season.

I actually agree and brought up the same issue some weeks ago. I enjoy it because it's different compared a lot of other shows on TV, but I don't know how long they can stretch it out. In the episode, Kate graduated from high school and moved to Minnesota. She stayed gone for over 16 years. Her daughter just met her grandmother. So is time going to change again? Create a new timeline?  Present Kate goes back to look for Jacob?  Young Elliott also left town after graduation?  Is it possible that Colton had a heart attack?  But an autopsy would have shown that. 

Edited by Simba122504
17 hours ago, RedInk said:

Agreeeee. To add to my earlier post, it’s also kind of ridiculous that Kat - a newspaper reporter who meticulously investigated her brothers disappearance - missed the detail in the same newspaper that covered her father’s death about two mysterious women running into the woods after the accident. And doesn’t even consider that she or her daughter would be the grieving woman at the funeral? I mean…

One thought. What if the newspaper coverage changed after they went back to stop it? Kat wouldn’t have seen the item about two women running into the woods because it hadn’t happened yet. So essentially they did change history. It was them and not some deer crossing the road that caused the crash.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

Hmm, now that I think about it, why wouldn't Kat and Alice confront young Elliott at Colton's funeral next week to tell him they caused the accident and he needs to stop them from jumping back (on whatever date that was) in the future? It doesn't seem like that's going to happen next week, since present-day Elliott only figured out they were there by reading about it in the newspaper. (Also, they were on a rural road in the middle of the night, and some witness saw them running away or running through the woods or whatever? Weird). 

Also, we have to get some answers next week regarding the White Witch thing from the premiere, right?

2 hours ago, barshi50 said:

One thought. What if the newspaper coverage changed after they went back to stop it? Kat wouldn’t have seen the item about two women running into the woods because it hadn’t happened yet. So essentially they did change history. It was them and not some deer crossing the road that caused the crash.

That would make a lot of sense and would be a good plot development. If that’s that plan I wish they would have laid some breadcrumbs up to this point. 

7 hours ago, SonofaBiscuit said:

Hmm, now that I think about it, why wouldn't Kat and Alice confront young Elliott at Colton's funeral next week to tell him they caused the accident and he needs to stop them from jumping back (on whatever date that was) in the future? It doesn't seem like that's going to happen next week, since present-day Elliott only figured out they were there by reading about it in the newspaper. (Also, they were on a rural road in the middle of the night, and some witness saw them running away or running through the woods or whatever? Weird). 

Good thought! I’m betting that’s at least why they go back, but I can’t tell if it would do any good because this time loop seems to make everything and nothing a possibility. But if they do send Elliot a message, I really hope we’re not headed for a reset where this all plays out again with different results in S2, Groundhog Day style. 

About the unlikely rural witness…weren’t there also sirens? I deleted from my DVR, so maybe I’m wrong, but I seem to remember thinking that was quick. 

Edited by RedInk
11 minutes ago, RedInk said:

I really hope we’re not headed for a reset where this all plays out again with different results in S2, Groundhog Day style. 

Although I would find it internally hilarious if it did, as this show does have Andie MacDowell in it.

• Like 1
  • LOL 8

I am equal parts annoyed and devastated by this episode.  You could see it coming, but I really didn’t want it to be Kat on the road.  Her silent scream did me in.  

Why does Del keep getting angry when Kat figures out Colton wasn’t a bad guy?  I’m sick of her insisting the worst of him.

Elliot’s big speech wasn’t wrong, but came a little out of nowhere for me.

• Like 2

I fell behind a couple episodes and just caught up so I don’t remember which one this happened in but I snorted when young Kat bemoaned that Alice wasn’t on ICQ for her to chat with. I totally forgot about ICQ, I used to hang out on that all the time.

I’ve liked these little turn of the century touches they’ve added, though young Kat’s beeper is more mid 90s. Cell phones were more prevalent than beepers in 2000. I got my first cell phone in 98.

On 3/23/2023 at 7:23 AM, kariyaki said:

I’ve liked these little turn of the century touches they’ve added, though young Kat’s beeper is more mid 90s. Cell phones were more prevalent than beepers in 2000. I got my first cell phone in 98.

I definitely still had a pager in 1999. I can’t remember if I had a cell phone by early 2000. Given the location a pager seemed accurate to me. Although at that point pagers had moved beyond displaying just numbers. 

Husband and I met in late 90’s and he had a pager.  Then blackberry.  Then iPhone.

I still remember how long it took me to get a cell phone because I was just incredulous at the sales pitch.  How could this possibly work?  Then  I thought I had to have a phone first so bought a used one and then sought service.  I didn’t understand till way too many months later why the sales guy looked at me strangely when I pulled out my huge phone rather than let him “give” me their latest model.

I had a cell phone in 98 but none of my friends did yet.  I was in college and my dad had a cell phone he was obsessed with but my mom didn't.  Cell phones were still fairly expensive plan wise and you still had to be a little more cognizent of where you were lest you accidentally stated roaming.  And i don't know how the cell networks would have been in fairly rural bits of Canada.  I never had a pager.

• Like 1
18 hours ago, Crs97 said:

Husband and I met in late 90’s and he had a pager.  Then blackberry.  Then iPhone.

I still remember how long it took me to get a cell phone because I was just incredulous at the sales pitch.  How could this possibly work?  Then  I thought I had to have a phone first so bought a used one and then sought service.  I didn’t understand till way too many months later why the sales guy looked at me strangely when I pulled out my huge phone rather than let him “give” me their latest model.

I acquired a cell phone in ‘98 or 9. I remember always driving to the highest point around, and  put in the phone numbers, but they never connected-ever. After spending $100 or more, never having spoken to a soul on it, it was left to die in a drawer. Whenever I went to the mall and saw the blow-up, giant phone outside the carrier, I would give it a little kick and a raspberry as I passed by. Totally useless.

• Like 1

My mom's friend got a cell phone in 92'. It helps that she worked for the cell phone company though.

I like the idea that Jacob ended up in the past, (maybe the 70's?) but I hope he's not Byron.

S01.E10: Not All Who Wander Are Lost

(Season Finale) Note Time Change
thewayhome-ep110-ps-2443-rt-rev2.jpg
Kat and Alice attend Colton's funeral. Del goes to the grief group and makes peace with her memory of Colton. Kat has a new theory about Jacob.

Premiere Date: Sunday, March 26, 2023      8pm     Hallmark 

Just now, AnimeMania said:

Kat and Alice attend Colton's funeral.

Frustrated Fuck My Life GIF

This show is like seeing an accident coming from a mile away but the people involved are to stupid to pay attention. 

1 hour ago, Dani said:

This show is like seeing an accident coming from a mile away but the people involved are to stupid to pay attention. 

I’m thinking this show may not be smart enough for a really clever twist, so yeah. She knows her mother’s pain comes from seeing the strange woman there, so why go? Not to mention she’s *already* attended her dad’s funeral. Unless she’s going back just to reveal everything to Del or her younger self so that she can stop them from ever going in. 

Something I’ve been wondering about, and maybe this isn’t really a spoiler, but 

Spoiler

The actor who plays Colton seems to be aged up a bit. Maybe that’s to match Del’s character? Or maybe it’s because we will see him younger at some point next season. 

• Useful 1

Whoa! Kat is the 1814 woman! That’s where Jacob ended up? 

The dog was time traveling. That’s hilarious.

And Alice sent the letter. That was a nice little thing to find out.

• Like 5
  • Love 2

I think a few people predicted that Jacob jumped in after the dog. Didn’t think that was the route they would take, LOL.

I’m sad that Elliott broke up with Kat. His reason didn’t really make sense to me since his young self had no clue that he ended up with Kat in the future. It was his free choice to end up with her and not something written in stone, or whatever.

I was not surprised that Alice ended up mailing the letter. 

I thought maybe Del would be the woman in 1814 (since if the dog can time travel, I guess anyone can, LOL), so seeing Kat was a little surprising. I hope she finds Jacob, but I don’t know how they will explain that to the townspeople.

• Like 1

I am completely tickled by the time traveling dog. Amazing.

Totally didn't see Kat being the 1814 woman coming. I also thought maybe it would end up being Del.

I get Elliot feeling like he's finally free to chart his own path without knowing anything ahead. I can also see wanting to take some time to figure out what he really wants, rather than jumping into something with Kat solely because she's finally free. I can see him thinking that's just continuing down the same path he's already on but didn't choose. I'm sure they'll end up together regardless.

• Like 5

I also didn't see the 1814 twist coming. We totally thought that was an ancestor at the beginning of the season. So who else can use the pond to time travel?  It's totally unrealistic that only Alice and Kat know about it. With Elliott being a science teacher and all, I'm surprised he never tried it.  It cannot be a Laudry bloodline thing if the dog can do it. 😂   I understand why Elliott broke it off with Kat. You need to live for yourself. At this point we don't even know too much about him. We know he also moved away,  got married and divorced. Years later moved back to his hometown and became a science teacher. But his entire existence so far has been all Kat and Alice.  

Edited by Simba122504
  • Like 5

Just before 1814 Kat jumped into the pond, she said, “I’ll be back for you (Jacob).” That implies she actually found him. He wouldn’t have known grown up Kat from Adam. Moreover, plunged into 1814, he would have been completely perplexed by the people and surroundings. Season 2 may well turn into a period piece, as Kat continues to persuade him to come back home. Seeing Kat’s sleeve as she cowered in the brush was apparently foreshadowing of “the white witch” tales, but where would he have gotten the idea that the witch steals children? He either heard a tale, or experienced it himself.

Oops, I forgot Kat walked him home as “Alice’s mother”.

Edited by Daff
  • Like 3
5 hours ago, Simba122504 said:

With Elliott being a science teacher and all, I'm surprised he never tried it.

Elliott did try it in 1999 and nothing happened, he came to the conclusion that it only worked for Alice. But then it worked for Kat, which surprised him. They didn’t say if he ever tried it again but the pond didn’t always work for Alice and Kat either, they all started thinking of it as an entity that sends someone where they need to go.

• Like 3
  • Useful 3
2 hours ago, Daff said:

Just before 1814 Kat jumped into the pond, she said, “I’ll be back for you (Jacob).” That implies she actually found him. He wouldn’t have known grown up Kat from Adam. Moreover, plunged into 1814, he would have been completely perplexed by the people and surroundings. Season 2 may well turn into a period piece, as Kat continues to persuade him to come back home. Seeing Kat’s sleeve as she cowered in the brush was apparently foreshadowing of “the white witch” tales, but where would he have gotten the idea that the witch steals children? He either heard a tale, or experienced it himself.

Perhaps Kat took or tried to take Jacob back to the correct time and that is how the story started and it has just been passed down.

also witches stealing children is kind of a fairytale standard so even with out evidence or reality this tale would not have been unusual.  

• Like 2

I did see the dog thing coming and I thought Jacob might be in 1814 but I didn’t see Alice being the one to mail the letter happen. 

I don’t love the Eliot decision but I also don’t care that much. 

Well this pond is sadistic, huh? Is it taking you where “you need to be” or where it “needs you to be?” Because it really doesn’t do anyone any favors. 

And Kat & Alice got over the accident a lot quicker than I’d imagined. I see they’re going with the if you hadn’t caused it, something else would have angle, but I’d still need a little more than a day for that one. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Aliconehead said:

it has just been passed down.

I probably should have written HIS (Jacob’s) white witch tales, as no one else seemed to know anything about it. My question was suggestively rhetorical. Remember that Glenda was kind, soothing, and helpful.

I get Elliott feeling like his life has been on hold for 20 years waiting to catch up to Alice and Kat but his conclusion logic doesn’t compute because he didn’t know if he would end up with Kat. Now he can but he’s taking a pass? He better hope she’ll wait around for him to finish his existential crisis.

The logic of Kat and Alice concluding that Colton would’ve died if they’d been there or not works for me, as it’s a common thread in which time travel abhors a paradox. Like The Time Machine movie where the protagonist builds a time machine, saves his fiancée from being murdered in a robbery but then she dies ten minutes later from a carriage crashing into her (and then can’t figure out why, when it’s like, if you’re smart enough to invent a time machine, why can’t you understand why you can’t save her?)

• Like 1

Kat's hair was quite long in 1814, so I guess we're going to see her trying to get to Jacob for a while (which yeah, they're probably going to have to make him a bit older next season since kids grow so fast and the little actor will look very different the next time we see him). I'm all for spending a bunch of time in 1814 in season 2 👍

• Like 2
20 minutes ago, SonofaBiscuit said:

Kat's hair was quite long in 1814, so I guess we're going to see her trying to get to Jacob for a while (which yeah, they're probably going to have to make him a bit older next season since kids grow so fast and the little actor will look very different the next time we see him). I'm all for spending a bunch of time in 1814 in season 2 👍

There’s also the caveat of them going to where the pond sends them. So while we know that Kat is in 1814 to rescue Jacob, that doesn’t necessarily mean that the pond originally sent him there. Could be that it sent him to 1794 and he’s 20 years older — which would make him harder to rescue, as he'll have mostly forgotten his origin, chalked it up to childhood imagination and may not want to be rescued.

• Like 1
  • Useful 3