Type keyword(s) to search

S01 - 1999, ICQ and Beepers

Bort
  • Start Topic

Kat Landry, her 15-year-old daughter Alice and Kat’s estranged mother Del are all strong, willful and independent. More than 20 years prior, lifechanging events created a chasm in their family that time has yet to repair. Kat and Del still aren’t on speaking terms. Alice has never met her grandmother and is unaware of the reasons for their fractured family. When the three generations come together under one roof for the first time in more than two decades, a surprising discovery unexpectedly sets the trio on a path toward healing and helps them find their way back to each other. Premieres Sunday, January 15, 2023 on Hallmark.

23 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

Does anyone know if this will also be on Peacock?

Not that I’ve heard. It’s not a streaming show, it’s just something playing on the regular Hallmark channel.

3 hours ago, kariyaki said:

Not that I’ve heard. It’s not a streaming show, it’s just something playing on the regular Hallmark channel.

For those in Canada this will also be shown on the W Network.  I've been seeing the promos and I admit I'm interested.  I'll be giving it a chance.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, kariyaki said:

Hallmark is on Peacock now. I assume you could watch this live since they have the live Hallmark channel on Peacock but I'm wondering if it will be On Demand for 3 days like the Christmas movies were.

Andie MacDowell as Del Landry
Chyler Leigh as Kat Landry
Sadie Laflamme-Snow as Alice Landry
Evan Williams as Elliot Augustine

The Way Home is a family drama following the lives of three generations of women – Kat Landry, her 15-year-old daughter Alice and Kat’s mother Del, who are all strong, willful and independent. More than 20 years prior, life changing events prompted Kat to move away from her small, Canadian farm town of Port Haven and she remains estranged from Del to this day.

Alice has never met her grandmother and is unaware of the reasons for their fractured family. With Kat’s marriage coming to an end and having just been laid off from her job, she decides to return home after receiving an unexpected letter from Del urging her to come back. Although Alice is none-too-thrilled, Kat and her daughter arrive at her family’s farm, though the reunion isn’t what Kat had envisioned. As the three generations of women slowly work on finding their footing as a family, they embark on an enlightening – and surprising – journey none of them could have imagined as they learn how to find their way back to each other.

S01.E01: Mothers and Daughters

Kat and teen daughter Alice move in with estranged grandma Del; escaping the tension, Alice explores the farm and finds herself on a surprising journey.

Premiere Date: January 15, 2023       9pm     Hallmark Channel 

I am not a Hallmark girl but I saw Chyler was in this so I decided to give it a try.  I have to say, I really liked the first episode.  This is the type of role I think Chyler excels in.  I feel like so many shows these days are so poorly written, but so far I'm liking this.

Spoiler

So I'm guessing Kat was in charge of Jacob when he died?  And mom/Kat can't figure out how to forgive each other?

• Like 3

Decided to give this series a try and I’m happy I did.  Will definitely watch the next episode.  

I will say I liked the teenage character Alice much better in 1999.  She came off as an obnoxious brat in present day.  I suppose I could say the same for her grandmother.  

• Like 3
12 hours ago, sskrill said:

I am not a Hallmark girl but I saw Chyler was in this so I decided to give it a try.  I have to say, I really liked the first episode.  This is the type of role I think Chyler excels in.  I feel like so many shows these days are so poorly written, but so far I'm liking this.

Reveal spoiler

So I'm guessing Kat was in charge of Jacob when he died?  And mom/Kat can't figure out how to forgive each other?

Might be, we don’t really know anything yet. Is it a statement of Alice’s character that she knows nothing of her grandfather or uncle? Kids ask endless questions about family, maybe Kat just cut her off when she did, so she just stopped. But that’s a contradiction to Kat’s accusations of the house being void of pictures/memories. 

I’m super intrigued.

Science teacher (Evan Williams’ character) knows some stuff, obviously. 

Any guesses regarding what happened to Kat’s dad and brother? Did they die at the same time? Did the brother “drown” in the pond and the dad died trying to save him? That would be crazy if Jacob made his way through the pond portal and is actually alive. There would have to be some reason why the body was never found, though.

Can anyone travel through the pond, or is it just The Landrys/their ancestors?

Who do you suppose the lady being chased in 1814 was? Could have been Ali, could have been a younger version of Andy MacDowell’s character, could have been someone else. So many questions!

Edited by SonofaBiscuit
  • Love 1
18 hours ago, Woopwoopkitty said:

Episode was better than the previews.  I’m in.

i just saw a teaser for next week, but I’m already on “tape delay” so I can’t rewind and listen. I’ll try again, Hallmark will repeat it a gazillion times.

Apparently, with a series, they won’t. They’ll send it straight to streaming. My DVR will give me a choice to record a future airing if available, and I tried with this because of all the Sunday night PBS shows. The best you can hope for is some marathon of the season once it’s done. 

18 hours ago, SonofaBiscuit said:

I’m super intrigued.

Science teacher (Evan Williams’ character) knows some stuff, obviously. 

Any guesses regarding what happened to Kat’s dad and brother? Did they die at the same time? Did the brother “drown” in the pond and the dad died trying to save him? That would be crazy if Jacob made his way through the pond portal and is actually alive. There would have to be some reason why the body was never found, though.

Can anyone travel through the pond, or is it just The Landrys/their ancestors?

Who do you suppose the lady being chased in 1814 was? Could have been Ali, could have been a younger version of Andy MacDowell’s character, could have been someone else. So many questions!

I definitely think that woman was the catalyst to the “magic” of the pond that gran calls “sink hole”. On the down side, I tuned out what she said about being from SC, on the upside, I can go rewatch that speech. I’m thinking the woman running at the start was being chased because someone had imprisoned her for being incompetent (mad, deranged, whatever), and she escaped. I really liked the first episode, so I truly hope they don’t make a hash of it. 

I’m intrigued by the concept. I really liked the cast and that none of the characters were one note. They felt realistically likeable and unlikeable at different points. 

On 1/16/2023 at 7:59 AM, Daff said:

Might be, we don’t really know anything yet. Is it a statement of Alice’s character that she knows nothing of her grandfather or uncle? Kids ask endless questions about family, maybe Kat just cut her off when she did, so she just stopped. But that’s a contradiction to Kat’s accusations of the house being void of pictures/memories. 

I didn’t think that Alice knew nothing of her grandfather and uncle. She seemed to know the basics. 

I was hesitant to watch another Hallmark show after Chesapeake Shores turned into a crap fest, so am pleased to hear that it’s good so far. Looking forward to watching it on Peacock.

Edited by twoods
  • Like 1
On 1/17/2023 at 1:49 PM, Daff said:

Apparently, with a series, they won’t. They’ll send it straight to streaming. My DVR will give me a choice to record a future airing if available, and I tried with this because of all the Sunday night PBS shows. The best you can hope for is some marathon of the season once it’s done. 

I meant they would repeat the teaser repeatedly which they did.

i was able to record the repeat of the episode on Saturday night.  My DVR is full so I don’t record until I know there’s something worth giving up my older stuff for

S01.E02: Scar Tissue
the-way-home-season-1-episode-2-scar-tis
Kat is presented with a book deal that requires her to dredge up terrible memories. Del wants to say goodbye to the past, while Alice yearns to return there.

Premiere Date: Sunday, January 22, 2023      9pm     Hallmark 

My re-watch picked up on a couple of things I missed first time around.  Maybe others noticed but I was only casually watching at the time.

when Kat and Alice show up at the farm in present day, and Elliot sees Alice for the first time, he’s startled and to me clearly recognizes her as the girl that showed up in 1999.

And in 1999 when Alice is in the kitchen with the family and saying goodbye to Jacob he tells her to be careful so the white ghost witch who steals children doesn’t get her.  I’m assuming this woman is the one from 1814.

I’ve speculated that Jacob went in the pond and dad died trying to save him.  Or that Jacob went in to the pond and time travelled and never came back.  Perhaps he was foreshadowing and got abducted by the ghost woman.

We know from the teasers that Elliot knows about the time travel, but I don’t know if Kat and Del do.

Edited by Woopwoopkitty
  • Like 2

At first I thought this was going to be one of those typical finding oneself stories done a million times before... but I liked the time travel twist.. and will be watching again.

And I do think Elliot is aware of Alice being in the past, hence why he was reassuring Kat that Alice was alright.

• Like 4
9 hours ago, Woopwoopkitty said:

My re-watch picked up on a couple of things I missed first time around.  Maybe others noticed but I was only casually watching at the time.

when Kat and Alice show up at the farm in present day, and Elliot sees Alice for the first time, he’s startled and to me clearly recognizes her as the girl that showed up in 1999.

And in 1999 when Alice is in the kitchen with the family and saying goodbye to Jacob he tells her to be careful so the white ghost witch who steals children doesn’t get her.  I’m assuming this woman is the one from 1814.

I’ve speculated that Jacob went in the pond and dad died trying to save him.  Or that Jacob went in to the pond and time travelled and never came back.  Perhaps he was foreshadowing and got abducted by the ghost woman.

We know from the teasers that Elliot knows about the time travel, but I don’t know if Kat and Del do.

There’s definitely nuance in the facial expressions and body language of these actors that warrant undivided attention. I really like the quiet, understated performance of Elliot. And I did think of the episode 1 opening chase scene when Jacob said that to Alice. 

• Like 1

LOL, I should not have laughed at Alice bursting into the classroom and telling Elliot "We need to talk about last night," but I did. Yikes, that didn't look good!

Elliot's wonderful - He's kind, smart, a great friend to Kat, a useful confidant for Alice...and he's a cutie. When's Kat going to find out that he's been in love with her his whole life?

That family heirloom book with the birth and death dates in it was an 1814 Almanac, so I take it that is when the Landrys first settled in the area. In the pilot episode, the woman in white was being chased through the forest in 1814, so was she an ancestor? I'm guessing so, but I'm interested to find out.

I'm really enjoying this show and the mysteries (who was the woman in white, why was she running from those men, where did she end up when she jumped into the pond, what happened to Jacob?). So far, this is the best show I've ever watched on Hallmark.

• Like 11

This so far has me intrigued.  I like Elliot and Kat and am happy Alice has settled a little from the pilot.  Del is kinda awful.  Andie is playing her well, but I’m curious to see why she seems to hate her daughter.  I mean, setting her up to be humiliated by her high school nemesis was really unnecessary.  Listening to her eulogize Jacob as her perfect baby after that treatment of Kat rubbed me the wrong way.

Ready for next week!

• Like 3

A (male) friend called me to tell me to watch this on Peacock. He is NOT a Hallmark guy ut his sister loved it so he gave it a chance and loved it too. So, I watched both episodes tonight inbetween a boring new NCIS. I gotta say, it really intrigues me and is worth sticking around for as well.

I get why Del is the way she is. My Grandmother was like that. My mom lost a child a billion years ago and the whole family never talked about it except my mom who wanted to talk about him while she remembered him. So, she told me. A missing or dead child haunts and reshapes a family. 

I do wonder if the writers named Jacob after Jacob Wetterling. a boy who went missing in 1989 from St. Cloud, MN and whose remains were finally found a few years ago.

• Like 3

I am enjoying this way more than I expected. The mystery and time travel aspects are used really well to support the family drama aspect. I like that they aren’t flinching away from letting the main characters be unlikeable. They are each grieving in their own way which is preventing them from seeing or sharing each other’s pain. 

11 hours ago, Crs97 said:

This so far has me intrigued.  I like Elliot and Kat and am happy Alice has settled a little from the pilot.  Del is kinda awful.  Andie is playing her well, but I’m curious to see why she seems to hate her daughter.  I mean, setting her up to be humiliated by her high school nemesis was really unnecessary.  Listening to her eulogize Jacob as her perfect baby after that treatment of Kat rubbed me the wrong way.

Ready for next week!

4 hours ago, stonehaven said:

A (male) friend called me to tell me to watch this on Peacock. He is NOT a Hallmark guy ut his sister loved it so he gave it a chance and loved it too. So, I watched both episodes tonight inbetween a boring new NCIS. I gotta say, it really intrigues me and is worth sticking around for as well.

I get why Del is the way she is. My Grandmother was like that. My mom lost a child a billion years ago and the whole family never talked about it except my mom who wanted to talk about him while she remembered him. So, she told me. A missing or dead child haunts and reshapes a family. 

I do wonder if the writers named Jacob after Jacob Wetterling. a boy who went missing in 1989 from St. Cloud, MN and whose remains were finally found a few years ago.

I’m more sympathetic toward Del than Kat. Both are rather controlling (especially over their daughters), but Del has assembled a support system to help herself. Kat isn’t there yet. I think she’s finally realizing the trauma Del experienced at the loss of her younger child and husband, seemingly all at once so many years ago. Del likely didn’t realize asking the woman in town to hire Kat would be embarrassing to her. I was happy to see Kat begin to soften a bit, empathize with her, and write the presumed death date in the almanac. I ho

(Oops, accidentally hit submit mid-sentence!) I hope we see more of this more reasonable Kat going forward. 

• Like 3

I think Del knew exactly what she was doing with the nemesis (which is a little Hope Floats rip-off).  She also kept denying writing the letter she clearly wrote, and I was glad Alice called her out when she said she lost everything and Alice reminded her she still had Kat.  I do have sympathy for her; I think a child’s disappearance is the worst thing a mother deals with, but it’s like she blames Kat for it.  I am sure it will all become clearer as the show continues.

• Like 4
3 hours ago, Crs97 said:

I think Del knew exactly what she was doing with the nemesis (which is a little Hope Floats rip-off).  She also kept denying writing the letter she clearly wrote, and I was glad Alice called her out when she said she lost everything and Alice reminded her she still had Kat.  I do have sympathy for her; I think a child’s disappearance is the worst thing a mother deals with, but it’s like she blames Kat for it.  I am sure it will all become clearer as the show continues.

Del doesn’t deny writing the letter, she just denies sending it. Of the people who might have dropped it in the mail, I suspect Elliot first, Del’s support friend second. Who knows, maybe it’s the white witch who steals kids. 

• Useful 1
6 hours ago, Crs97 said:

I think Del knew exactly what she was doing with the nemesis (which is a little Hope Floats rip-off).

I doubt that she even thought about whatever dynamics existed between the two women or Kat’s feelings at all. 

6 hours ago, Crs97 said:

She also kept denying writing the letter she clearly wrote, and I was glad Alice called her out when she said she lost everything and Alice reminded her she still had Kat.

I really liked Alice pointing out that Kat isn’t gone but Del doesn’t really have Kat. She still has the potential of a relationship but Kat has been lost to her for decades. That is probably due to her own actions but I could see Del’s perspective being that she also lost Kat when she lost her son and husband. Del’s statement could have been an extremely cruel one speaking to Kat’s value or a more matter of fact, if self pitying, one. 

I watched both episodes last night and really liked it.  I've been stressed out, so the memorial had me bawling. 

I have to agree that the trailers didn't really do it justice.  It's better than the description and clips promised.

On 1/17/2023 at 8:28 PM, Dani said:

I’m intrigued by the concept. I really liked the cast and that none of the characters were one note. They felt realistically likeable and unlikeable at different points. 

I agree with this.  All of the characters were displaying realistic (often unpleasant) coping strategies for the various forms of grief (including divorce) they were at various stages of processing.  I have seen the devastation of the death of a child can level on a family up close. The loss feels present in interactions for years or permanently if people don't figure out how to process it and reform as a family with a new configuration.

I do think that Del knew what she was doing in setting Kat up with that BS job because she considers the notion of a vague promise of a book deal a pie in the sky notion and was punishing her daughter to a degree for her absence (and possibly perceived abandonment).

My impression of the dynamic between Del and Kat is that of two similarly strong willed women who were the more practical and serious members of their family with dad Colton and cherubic Jason being the lighthearted dreamers and the more emotionally open of the family. When they died, the more stoic Del and Kat retreated into their respective emotional shells while resenting the other for doing so.  To the extent that Kat was the child, I blame Del slightly more.  But the loss of a child is decimating and to add the loss of a husband a bare 3 months later would cripple anyone for a while.

Kat clearly blames herself and likely believed her mother blamed her too.  It's even possible that, in her grief, Del felt on some level that Kat had done something wrong and/or conveyed that she felt that way whether in word or behavior.

I guess we'll see.

On 1/23/2023 at 8:43 AM, SonofaBiscuit said:

LOL, I should not have laughed at Alice bursting into the classroom and telling Elliot "We need to talk about last night," but I did. Yikes, that didn't look good!

I laughed out loud too.  Elliot's reaction was spot on and hilarious. 

Edited by RachelKM
  • Like 4
  • Love 3
14 hours ago, Daff said:

Del doesn’t deny writing the letter, she just denies sending it. Of the people who might have dropped it in the mail, I suspect Elliot first, Del’s support friend second. Who knows, maybe it’s the white witch who steals kids

I think Alice is going to send it (in the past) at some point, in a bit of time travel chicken/egg scenario.

• Like 2
  • Useful 3
17 hours ago, redpencil said:

I think Alice is going to send it (in the past) at some point, in a bit of time travel chicken/egg scenario.

I've been wondering about this too. But I HATE paradox stuff. I mean, it is a possibility and flaw in all time travel stories no matter how carefully crafted.  But something that circular would drive me nuts.

On 1/23/2023 at 11:43 AM, SonofaBiscuit said:

I laughed at that as well. I really liked the reaction shot of everyone in that scene. Elliot did have some good lines in the two episodes. The Buffy/Giles reference and past Elliot saying there was no way that guy became president, when Alice was heading back to the pond and trying to convince him she was from the future, both made me chuckle as well.

I thought maybe the newspaper guy that Dell seems to like sent the letter. I too, thought Past Alice may have done it, but if the letter was written recently I am not sure if she could. 

I am with all the others that said this was better than they expected. I do like the cast as well. I hope it continues to entertain me.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

S01.E03: I Don't Want to Miss a Thing
the-way-home-season-1-episode-3-motor-bo
Alice falls in love with the past and has her first kiss; Kat starts a job at the local paper; Del deals with bittersweet memories attached to Colton's boat.

Premiere Date: Sunday, January 29, 2023      9pm     Hallmark 

Episode 3 and I'm still in.  I'm not typically a hallmark/lifetime girl but I am really enjoying this.

I can't get over how much young Kat looks like Chyler.  

Also appreciating that there's plenty of conflict without any character being an outright asshole.

Why hasn't Alice figured out to leave herself a towel and some dry clothes?  And that poor girl in and out of the water - I'm assuming the pond is on a stage somewhere - at least I hope.

I feel like if its such a small town, they would realize no one knows where Alice lives or who her mother is.  Suspension of disbelief I guess. 

• Like 2
43 minutes ago, sskrill said:

I can't get over how much young Kat looks like Chyler.  

It really is uncanny. Especially if you compare with something Chyler did in 1999, like Not Another Teen Movie.

• Like 1
On 1/26/2023 at 11:50 PM, Misslindsey said:

f the letter was written recently

For no particular reason, I’m thinking Del wrote the letter around the time she finally decided to have Jacob officially declared dead. We don’t know when that was, as all they’ve given us is the date he disappeared: October 29 or 30, 1999 (can’t remember which day Kat wrote). The grave marker only has the years he lived, no months or days. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Daff said:

For no particular reason, I’m thinking Del wrote the letter around the time she finally decided to have Jacob officially declared dead. 

You’re right. In the second episode Del tells Kat she wrote the letter when she got Jacob’s death certificate. 

10 hours ago, Dani said:

You’re right. In the second episode Del tells Kat she wrote the letter when she got Jacob’s death certificate. 

I’ve assumed that it is recent, that whatever prompted her to declare him dead is what also motivated her to have a memorial service.

I wonder if we will see Nick(?), Alice’s beach boyfriend, in the present time. Curious how he turned out.

• Like 1

Did Hallmark get new owners because this show is so not a typical show from their assembly line.

Del shut down after losing her hubby and child, and Kat was wanting emotionally support...like 2 ships in the night.

I'm just hoping Hallmark doesn't do the sudden canceling of this show like Cedar Cove was years ago.

• Like 2

I’m still really enjoying this. Often with multiple timeline shows one time period drags the story down but that’s not happening here.  Both are compelling. Having Elliot be the one aware in the past and present was a good choice. 

22 hours ago, sskrill said:

Also appreciating that there's plenty of conflict without any character being an outright asshole.

That’s one of my favorite things. When they again showed Alex’s high school “nemesis” being catty I thought they were going to the cliched mean girl so I was happy with where that went. 

23 hours ago, sskrill said:

Why hasn't Alice figured out to leave herself a towel and some dry clothes?

Dry clothes and a swim cap. 

2 hours ago, Aliconehead said:

I am glad they are not stringing out the mom not knowing about the time traveling thing.  

I am liking the quick pacing. 

17 minutes ago, JAYJAY1979 said:

Did Hallmark get new owners because this show is so not a typical show from their assembly line.

Their old CEO was fired and the new one is less rigid in following their formula. This is the first series for the “new Hallmark” which hopefully bodes well for a second season. 

Didn’t enjoy this episode as much as the previous ones, but ooh, next week looks good!

LOL at Alice confronting Elliot in front of adults again. “I found the Polaroids.” Ha ha ha, can we make this a running gag? 🤣

Wow, what was Del’s red headed friend’s deal? She sure turned evil awful quick (and she was giving Del’s guy friend some strange looks when he showed up during dinner). Weird.

I think little Jacob’s friend Danny was in an earlier episode where Kat went to visit her dad’s grave stone. That encounter was weird too (he didn’t acknowledge her when she said hi). Wonder what that all means.

It’s kind of strange that Alice got involved with a guy who is her mother’s age when she traveled this episode…awkward. I wouldn’t have time for all that - I’d be too busy buying Amazon and Apple stock.

Okay, so I was wondering if Kat can also time travel through the pond. 

Spoiler

Looks like based on next week’s trailer, yes she can. Not sure how she hasn’t traveled before now, but maybe she’s never actually gone in that water? Aw, she gets to see Jacob and her dad next episode. That one should be good!

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
On 1/25/2023 at 9:05 AM, AheadofStraight said:

Any thoughts on whether Jacob is going to turn up alive? First thing I thought when it turned out there wasn't a body....

And now that we know that the pond is the time travel portal, I'm convinced (sort of) that Jacob has been living in some other time all along. I just haven't figured out how it ties into the story yet.

• Like 5

I hated the cliffhanger. I want to know what happens right now. I’m guessing Kat time travels just because her thinking Alice has drowned is too dark a place for the show to go and it would derail the entire story. I just wonder when she ends up. I would find it more interesting if she goes to a different point than Alice. 

12 minutes ago, SonofaBiscuit said:

Wow, what was Del’s red headed friend’s deal? She sure turned evil awful quick (and she was giving Del’s guy friend some strange looks when he showed up during dinner). Weird.

I not sure if she is just supposed to be evil or just really overbearing. There were hints of it when Kat first showed up and the friend was pissed it might derail Del’s progress.

She actually reminds me a lot of how Del treats Kat. Arranging for the couple to buy the boat is a lot like Del arranging for Kat’s job interview. 

8 hours ago, TVForever said:

And now that we know that the pond is the time travel portal, I'm convinced (sort of) that Jacob has been living in some other time all along. I just haven't figured out how it ties into the story yet.

My feeling is that Jacob will show up in the final scene at the end of Season 1.  Cliffhanger.... 

• Like 4