Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E02: Infected

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

On 1/23/2023 at 5:42 PM, Danny Franks said:

So we're going to get more of the 'before' stuff, setting up the outbreak. That's cool. I enjoyed the opening scenes in Indonesia, with the scientist being so immediately panicked by the revelation that cordyceps can infect humans.

No. It wasn't "before." the title said it was in 2023, which means that the fungus didn't get around the world at the same time, Indonesia didn't get it for 20 years. (or maybe they did, but they were really careful, like china with covid).

Edited by Notwisconsin
added stuff.
3 hours ago, Notwisconsin said:

No. It wasn't "before." the title said it was in 2023, which means that the fungus didn't get around the world at the same time, Indonesia didn't get it for 20 years. (or maybe they did, but they were really careful, like china with covid).

2003.thumb.jpg.b6969831a241ad135878d8f1ae035b21.jpg

• Like 6
  • Useful 1

So I'm finally two episodes into this because while I've never found zombies particularly novel or interesting, I'm a complete sucker for end of the world stories. That's what kept me hanging in with the Walking Dead long after most people had shuffled on to other things, the grotesquely beautiful decay and worldbuilding for a world that doesn't exist anymore.

I don't know yet if there's really enough there there for this to not be yet another retread of every other ZA story we've ever seen. A lot of the reluctant surrogate daddy for the special miracle child that may save them all is hitting all the usual tropes pretty hard and feeling pretty worn. I also have no familiarity with the game it's based on, so I can only go by what I'm seeing on screen. And what I'm seeing is terrific casting and acting and phenomenal Life After People meets present-day Chernobyl visuals. Everything once they got beyond the wall was just a visual feast.

But because I'm not coming at this from a gamer perspective, I'm also rather disappointed to see the only adult woman who's gotten more than a couple of lines condemned to shuffle off so soon even if her flaming kiss exit was fantastically done. I knew it was probably coming as all the promotional stuff I've seen has been the same tired surrogate daddy/hardened miracle baby imagery, but I was really liking the weary platonic partners in crime chemistry and interplay between Anna Torv and Pedro Pascal. Tess was also the most likable of our trio so far in a way that was almost giving off early Daryl Dixon vibes, who also wasn't a source character and look how that turned out.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, nodorothyparker said:

the weary platonic partners in crime chemistry and interplay between Anna Torv and Pedro Pascal.

They were 100% not platonic, thus entire Tess's finale speech. She loved him, she lived with him, and he was emotionally unavailable but caring and loyal dude.

• Like 4

I don’t mean to be all Pearl-clutchy, but the swearing is starting to get on my nerves. I get it, the game probably has a ton of swearing, but it just doesn’t sound natural to me. Almost every single sentence that’s said has a swear of some kind. I just wish that they wouldn’t try to shoe-horn swearing in

A pet peeve of mine. Just because it's allowed on TV now doesn't mean lazy writers should make it ever other word. I'm noticing it on Tiny Beautiful Things and Beef.

Edited by pasdetrois