Type keyword(s) to search

The View: Week of 1/9/2023

falltime
  • Start Topic

Monday, Jan. 9 – Rita Wilson (“A Man Called Otto”)

Tuesday, Jan. 10 – Anna Kendrick (“Alice, Darling”); Jamie Oliver (author, “One: Simple One-Pan Wonders”)

Wednesday, Jan. 11 – Steve Harvey; “Property Brothers” Drew and Jonathan Scott (“Brother vs. Brother: No Rules”)

Thursday, Jan. 12 – Chelsea Handler (“Revolution”); Melanie “Mel B” Brown (“Special Forces: World’s Toughest Test”)

Friday, Jan. 13 – Melissa Rauch (“Night Court”)

• Thanks 2

Using Patti Davis’ op-ed as a counterpoint and springboard to considering Harry’s bombshells was worthwhile and provoked good discussion.

Sunny’s comments about how her mother (who encouraged her to be truthful and honest “You’re only as sick as your secrets”) was dismayed at some of Sunny’s revelations in her book was worth hearing. Sunny was sage in sharing that Sunny’s honesty and truth was not her mother’s honesty and truth. Also -- wonder of wonders -- Sunny had a very brief kind and complimentary word for Alyssa!

Actually, each panelist’s take on this situation was well-considered and well worth hearing. These kinds of intelligent and thoughtful “views” are what make this show worthwhile. Unfortunately, this kind of well rounded, high-minded, useful and well-considered convo is too infrequent.

Whoopi with the red plaid shirt looked like hell. Just sayin’… 

• Like 5
  • Applause 5
  • Useful 1

I thought that Patti Davis offered some good advice from a person who has "been there". She and her brother both had issues with their parents (Ronald and Nancy Reagan - on the off-chance that someone doesn't already know that) and made some of their issues public with interviews, articles, and books. Interesting to hear from her what she thinks about all that now.

Of course, Prince Harry isn't going to take Patti's advice, because he's already very busy telling everyone how awful his family is, but hopefully he doesn't try to make a career out of this. Some people can vent their frustrations and get over them, but others just get deeper and deeper, as if their problems are quicksand. TBH, some of the "bombshells" are unimpressive to anyone with even mildly complicated family relationships. Dad doesn't want to support the new spouse, thinks that they are spending too much money? Maybe this is a newsflash in royal circles, but for most people, that is just the way things are. Issues with the stepmother? I'm pretty sure that therapists hear similar stories all the time, and the background of those relationships may be just as sordid as King Charles / Queen Camilla's. 

Rita Wilson was quite fun; fun stories shared and a positive outlook. I wondered if she's not actually in the movie though, because the scene clip didn't feature her. Is she only the producer, or does she have a part in it?

• Like 4

Sorry, the original book and movie, A Man Called Ove, was wonderful, so I'm not giving Rita W Hanks credit for copying such a much-beloved book/film. I'm saying it wd be hard to fuck it up.  Plus, she keeps trying for years to make her singing a bigger thing than her talent.  

I guess I don't think a new version of Ove was needed, and a bit tired of big celebrities buying up great books for themselves.  I would like to see some newer/lesser known actors get a chance--otherwise I'm watching Tom Hanks as Ove/Otto vs. getting into the story more.

I also thought Sam Elliott would have been better in the movie News of the World. Sam even looked like the character and his voice!!! Would have made it a gem. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Mollywolly555 said:

I guess I don't think a new version of Ove was needed, and a bit tired of big celebrities buying up great books for themselves.  I would like to see some newer/lesser known actors get a chance--otherwise I'm watching Tom Hanks as Ove/Otto vs. getting into the story more.

Interesting viewpoint,  but why is it the buyers' fault that the author has hawked the screenplay around to either the highest bidder or just someone who would like to make a movie of the book ? And using newer/lesser known actors may not get them noticed as much, these movies usually need a big name lead just to get shown in cinemas.

• Like 4

Fredrik Backman didn’t hawk his book around. There was a perfectly delightful movie produced in his native Sweden a few years ago. (I recommend it as well as the book.) Rita even said she approach Backman to buy the US rights after watching the Swedish movie.

I still plan on seeing the new version since it is such a charming story. 

• Like 3

Like Haleth ssid above,   Backman didn't hawk it around.. Rita said today they sought him out. The book and Swedish film have been out for several+ years.

There have been some amazing little, indie films and actora who got attention on their own merits v. Big star/ Heavy promotion/Beaucoup $ spent. 

• Like 1

What are everyone's thoughts on being open and honest vs protecting your family and keeping embarrassing stuff private? I feel like a lot of us can relate to the royals on a much smaller scale. 

I had a difficult childhood. Most people just think it must have been great because my parents were together, and they were great at putting on a nice front. I normally just talk about the more positive elements of my life growing up. I generally don't open up about much because I love my parents and don't want them to look bad. But Sunny has a point that secrets make you sick. When you pretend everything is peachy when it's been far from it, you feel like you're living a lie and constantly acting. 

• Like 2
  • Hugs 4
  • Applause 2

Not Alyssa making the most sense in this Nepotism topic! Whoopi/Sunny completely missed the point, barely anyone has said these A-list Nepo celebs didn't work hard to get there but... they had that door open because of their family. That's the point. 

• Like 7
  • Useful 1
6 minutes ago, Primal Slayer said:

Not Alyssa making the most sense in this Nepotism topic! Whoopi/Sunny completely missed the point, barely anyone has said these A-list Nepo celebs didn't work hard to get there but... they had that door open because of their family. That's the point. 

Not surprised Whoopi and Sunny missed the point considering they have nepo babies.  Gabriel is going to Harvard.  Good for him but would he  have have been accepted if he didn't have rich parents and one of them happens to be a celebrity? Whoopi's daughter had that failed reality show a few  years back.  I think we can all agree that would have never happened without Whoopi's help.  

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, bluegirl147 said:

Not surprised Whoopi and Sunny missed the point considering they have nepo babies.  Gabriel is going to Harvard.  Good for him but would he  have have been accepted if he didn't have rich parents and one of them happens to be a celebrity? Whoopi's daughter had that failed reality show a few  years back.  I think we can all agree that would have never happened without Whoopi's help.  

To be honest, if she wasn't related to Whoopi, it doesn't seem likely that she would have even been considered for a show. Show business seems to be one of those careers where the term "family business" is common. Some families have lots of members who are dentists or doctors, military people, carpenters, etc. In most of them though, the child has to attain at least an acceptable degree of proficiency to work. With show business, just having the name seems to be enough in some cases.

• Like 2
  • Applause 2
22 minutes ago, sugarbaker design said:

And sometimes getting that door open is more than half the battle.

It's the defensiveness that bothers me.  How  hard is it for these nepo babies to acknowledge that yes their parents or whoever enabled them to have opportunities they might not otherwise have had?

11 minutes ago, GiveMeSpace said:

Whoopi says no one can teach you to act and suddenly acting teachers all over the land quit their jobs and filed for unemployment. 

Some of the greatest actors of all time studied acting.

I don't think Whoopi is a great actor. I think sometimes she is great in a role but overall I think she is mediocre.

• Like 14
17 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

How  hard is it for these nepo babies to acknowledge that yes their parents or whoever enabled them to have opportunities they might not otherwise have had?

Seriously!  Just admit you've had a whole new level of privilege on your behalf, and move on!

• Like 7

Sort of meh show today. I agreed with Joy that it was the obstruction that made Trump's case so bad. If he simply returned the documents when asked, he wouldn't have been in trouble over the situation at all. (And that's not even getting to all the other differences between the two situations.)

What a nightmare @ Kendrick's story of being trapped in a packed elevator.

• Like 4

Golden Globes discussion seemed all over the place. I had to laugh when Sunny asked Whoopi why the Hollywood Foreign Press Association didn't have more diversity (because the world is a diverse place) and Whoopi's response was basically, "How do I know?"  I'm often annoyed when Whoopi brushes off some topic, but her reactions to the GG topics today struck me funny. 

• Like 5
  • LOL 1
On 1/10/2023 at 10:55 AM, bluegirl147 said:

It's Harvard.   Likely 80% of the student body has rich parents.   So yes, he probably would have.  He was a kid from a good private school, likely had good grades and high test scores, was a student athlete, and had plenty of extra-curricular activities.     I doubt his "celebrity" parent had little to do with it.  If celebrity parents were the ticket then Laurie Laughlin and Felicity Huffman would not have gone to jail for what they did to get their kids into "good" universities.  .  

• Like 8
  • Applause 2
  • Useful 1

^ And I believe Sunny said during that discussion that she didn't have the money to buy a building or whatever to get her kids in, lol.

Another unremarkable show today. Last week was mostly okay other than Thursday, feels like this one is lagging, but maybe not watching Monday's makes less interesting shows even more of a drag for me. The only thing I remember much about was Whoopi talking about her house in California she was (is?) selling because there are rattlesnakes everywhere thanks to climate change or whatever.

I'm surprised Whoopi wasn't worse during the Golden Globes discussion actually, but I don't think she liked Joy's comment at the end about how she hates the fashion and would prefer a comic like Gervais who mocks everyone. I personally like looking at the dresses. *shrug* But I do agree about more biting humor being a good thing for those kinds of events.

• Like 2
On 1/11/2023 at 12:23 PM, KittyQ said:

Sunny asked Whoopi why the Hollywood Foreign Press Association didn't have more diversity

I think Sunny was sucking up to Whoopi today.  Not only on that question, but Sunny also asked Whoopi why the California storm was called the Bomb Cyclone.  Seems odd that she'd ask Whoopi of all people a science question.

Edited by Gemma Violet
  • Like 4
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 9

I agreed with Sunny that the special counsel was appointed because of several different investigations going on at once, not simply the one into the obstruction over classified documents. Color me surprised that Sara and Alyssa acknowledged how different the two situations are. Especially Sara. I guess I'm used to her not contributing much more than "BothSideBothSides" the past couple of months on any of the heavier topics, to the point they could just put out a sign for her rather than wasting airtime.

Joy's shoulder pads, lol. I did like the polka dots yesterday, but this one, not so much. I did laugh at Whoopi cracking up over Sunny talking about crimes of "moral turpitude" in regards to McCarthy giving Santos a pass; like Whoopi, I think the horse left the barn on that one a long time ago.

• Like 5
50 minutes ago, rollacoaster said:

I loved Joy's boldly striped jacket, but did anyone else think, "Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice"?

Someone said that at the beginning of the show. Sara maybe?  I liked her jacket.

• Like 1

A “palatial pace?”  What, Sunny?

Alyssa said the Biden documents were about Iran and Ukraine. Has that been established?  Nobody pushed back on that. 

Edited by Haleth
  • Like 2
18 hours ago, Haleth said:

Someone said that at the beginning of the show. Sara maybe?  I liked her jacket.

I actually liked it, too! I came in on the middle of the show and missed Sara's comment at the beginning. 

An interesting coincidence: Dana Gurira wore the same or a similar jacket on Stephen Colbert last night. It's having A Moment. 

• Like 4

Someone (Alyssa?) made the point that even though the specifics of the misplaced classified documents differed, both incidents need to be investigated. It is also a good question to ask why these documents were allowed to be removed from the office, and how often does this happen. 

Appropriate dress - So hard to make a policy here. Even something simple like saying no sleeveless tops can result in questions. As someone said, Washington in the heat doesn't lend itself to wearing a sweater, but there are also some sleeveless tops that are more "nightclub" than "sensibly cool".  

4 minutes ago, KittyQ said:

Appropriate dress - So hard to make a policy here

My opinion is there doesn't need to be a policy. Most people know how to dress appropriately and if someone does dress inappropriately then that should be dealt with on a case by case basis.  But of course any time a dress policy is brought up with regards to adults it's always women and people of color who seem to be the ones who are being told how they can and cannot dress.  Makes me think it's not about clothes but something else.

• Like 7
  • Useful 1
1 minute ago, bluegirl147 said:

My opinion is there doesn't need to be a policy. Most people know how to dress appropriately and if someone does dress inappropriately then that should be dealt with on a case by case basis.  But of course any time a dress policy is brought up with regards to adults it's always women and people of color who seem to be the ones who are being told how they can and cannot dress.  Makes me think it's not about clothes but something else.

I'm not familiar with clothes issues with male people of color particularly, but I think part of the reason men in general aren't as affected by dress codes is that their "professional" outfits don't vary too much. If they wore something super casual (think T-shirts and shorts for example) they'd probably get criticized more. Women usually have wider wardrobe style options, so dressing "appropriately" can be challenging for some people. I have seen a few outfits on The View that I thought could have stayed in the closet because they seemed too dressy, skimpy, or flashy for weekday wear, for example.

• Like 2
13 minutes ago, KittyQ said:

I have seen a few outfits on The View that I thought could have stayed in the closet because they seemed too dressy, skimpy, or flashy for weekday wear, for example.

There have been plenty of outfits worn on the View I didn't like but I don't think I would have called them inappropriate.  They have never shown nudity or been offensive.  Although Elisabeth Hasselbeck wearing the shirt referencing John McCain during the 2008 presidential campaign I would consider inappropriate.

• Like 1
41 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

There have been plenty of outfits worn on the View I didn't like but I don't think I would have called them inappropriate.  They have never shown nudity or been offensive.  Although Elisabeth Hasselbeck wearing the shirt referencing John McCain during the 2008 presidential campaign I would consider inappropriate.

I'm a little tired of seeing AFG legs under the table in her short skirts (even though she has great legs).   But I wouldn't go as far as saying that it is inappropriate or not professional.  I'm guessing she dressed similarly when she worked in the WH.  

Because I'm a Missourian - I had to look up the actual rule.   They are requiring women to wear a jacket/cardigan with dresses, slacks or skirts.  No mention of sequins 🙂.   Men are required to wear a coat, tie, and dress pants.  

• Like 2
  • Useful 3
2 hours ago, After7Only said:

I'm a little tired of seeing AFG legs under the table in her short skirts (even though she has great legs).   But I wouldn't go as far as saying that it is inappropriate or not professional.  I'm guessing she dressed similarly when she worked in the WH.  

Being shallow and a ""leg man" as they say, I am not tired of it as she does have great legs which sometimes makes listening to her bearable.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

On a similar wavelength, maybe it's because I'm a gay man, but I hadn't noticed anything at all in regards to Sunny's chest.* I'm glad for her if she feels better now though.

* I don't think Joy had any idea what she was talking about to begin with either. 😆 EDIT: I see something had been posted in Sunny's topic here a couple of days back, I hadn't seen that. I wasn't sure what she was talking about when she said some people were asking her if she had cancer or something, at first I thought she was about to announce something serious.

Edited by TheGreenKnight
  • Like 1

Hmm...I was taken aback near the end of the segment on special counsels for (evidently) all Prez, when Alyssa wanted to respond but was admonished (by Sunny??) that there was no time.  Of course, Alyssa made her remark anyway🙄 but it just seemed flatly partisan to try to mute AFG at that moment.  I'm sure I didn't agree with whatever she said, but the optics were bad.

Refreshing of Sunny to divulge her "work," & she looks great - but in these days of forced total "transparency," did she also mention her nose job(s)?

All those folks who support covering female arms in super-hot-in-the-summer MO must not watch FOX "news" - never seen more boobs (of any sex) in a daytime workplace.

• Like 2
22 hours ago, KittyQ said:

I'm not familiar with clothes issues with male people of color particularly, but I think part of the reason men in general aren't as affected by dress codes is that their "professional" outfits don't vary too much. If they wore something super casual (think T-shirts and shorts for example) they'd probably get criticized more. Women usually have wider wardrobe style options, so dressing "appropriately" can be challenging for some people. I have seen a few outfits on The View that I thought could have stayed in the closet because they seemed too dressy, skimpy, or flashy for weekday wear, for example.

I agree with you about the differences between men's and women's fashions, and it's not always misogyny either. For example, women can show their legs within reason in the workplace, but men aren't supposed to wear shorts, even if they're longer. I personally wouldn't be distracted at all if a guy came in to work with longer shorts. Think I can manage to get my work done even if I see some hairy legs in the office.

Alyssa has gorgeous legs, and I don't see an issue what she wears on The View. However, Fox was notorious for only featuring women who showed their legs and also oftentimes showed a ton of cleavage. I guess they were trying to draw male viewership by sexing it up or something, but it was so odd to see on a news network. 

I know we're not allowed to bring up political figures, but are we allowed to mention the First Ladies? If not, I'll edit this out.

One of the most accomplished, educated First Ladies we've ever had (if not the most), got flack for showing her arms. Her arms are beautiful, but they are just arms! The other showed everything in sexual photoshoots (not even simply posing nude) and wore a lot of skimpy clothing and was considered the classier First Lady by a lot of folks. The racism is so blatant there imo. Women of color also get policed about their natural hair. It's such bullshit, and even white women with curly hair get told to straighten their hair to look more professional. 

• Like 7
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1

Joy was the one who said they had to go, from what I recall. I didn't think there was anything weird about that considering they let both Alyssa and Ana speak first and for much longer than the others at the beginning of the show yesterday. I could get why they gave Ana more time since she's only there two days of the week, not sure why with the other one.

Sunny was also trying to say something at the end there that she didn't get out, asking about the documents flushed down the toilet, I believe, lol.

• Like 1
  • Useful 2

I was surprised that they didn't mention Lisa Marie Presley on the program Friday morning. I'm on the west coast and they were reporting it on the early a.m. news (Morning Joe) so I would think they would have heard about it before they went on the air.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2
2 hours ago, debbie311 said:

I was surprised that they didn't mention Lisa Marie Presley on the program Friday morning. I'm on the west coast and they were reporting it on the early a.m. news (Morning Joe) so I would think they would have heard about it before they went on the air.

When they did not mention Lisa Marie's passing, I thought they probably had taped the show Thursday afternoon..

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1