Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E10: Abseiling Away

• Start Topic

Tension between departments leaves Faye fed up; Capt. Kerry mentors Lewis in the wheelhouse; misconduct on the radio upsets the captain and thrusts Lewis back on deck; Kasie makes a plan with Jess to do a room swap.

Airdate: 01.10.2023

Uh oh y'all - Faye is fed up!  <yawn>

• LOL 2

Like someone who is all that and a packet of crisps (bag of chips), these comments are in the order of episode scenes broadcast…

Chav Faye and Ross must both suck on the same helium balloon – their voices are equally annoying.

Jess and Captain Clueless establish early on the importance of chips with a meal for the guests – pay attention because there will be a quiz later.

I just don’t have the filter for all the high-pitched bitchiness from all the interior hens and their complaining.  Hopefully this will be revealed later.  Honestly, the Three Witches from Shakespeare’s Macbeth had nothing on these three.

A bug or not a bug in the champagne?  Really?  Bug-gate?  Setting the scene for a crap tip?

Who cut the cheese?  Oh, yes, the chef.  Can you belittle the local dish more?

The guests and the deck crew in drag – most demeaning episode ever.  Doesn’t bear commenting on.

First bugs in the drink, now a hair in the food?  Jess’ solution is to remove the hair and sprinkle some cheese into the bowl.  This is behind the scenes for all who eat out, y’all.  And by the way, chances are equal the hair belongs to any of the interior crew, who let it fly with impunity.  And then to add insult to injury, the guests find *another* hair in the food – as Chav Faye flips her hair back for the umpteenth time.  Oriana tries to tell Captain Clueless about the hair, but he’s more interested in his video game or phone and doesn’t hear/care.

Chav Faye – your narcissism is surpassed only by your incompetence.  If you think you’re going to go to war with the chef – you will lose. 

Will a bug spoil the day?  Will Captain Clueless kill Nathan?  Will anyone find the chips?  Stay tuned, if you can be bothered to remember to….

• Like 3
  • Love 3
5 minutes ago, Tanukisan said:

First bugs in the drink, now a hair in the food?  Jess’ solution is to remove the hair and sprinkle some cheese into the bowl.  This is behind the scenes for all who eat out, y’all.  And by the way, chances are equal the hair belongs to any of the interior crew, who let it fly with impunity.  And then to add insult to injury, the guests find *another* hair in the food – as Chav Faye flips her hair back for the umpteenth time.  Oriana tries to tell Captain Clueless about the hair, but he’s more interested in his video game or phone and doesn’t hear/care.

In fairness, the problem really wasn't that Kerry wasn't paying attention. She came to him all coy like a kid about to tattle on their sibling about something and said, "Just so you know, the interior's on very thin ice and I'll let them both come talk to you, but..." and then left in a hurry without finishing because she thought Jess was coming. If she hadn't wasted time on the dramatic preamble, maybe she'd have gotten to the actual issue in time. I can't really fault him for being like "Huh?" at the end of that interaction.

This is the most dysfunctional crew I've ever seen on one of these shows. Neither Lewis nor Faye has any business being in a power position; neither of them has the skills needed to effectively manage people.

• Like 14
  • Applause 2

Yeah Hair-gate and Chip-gate indeed.  Kerry thinks Americans just love potato chips, which they do but not on a charter they're supposedly paying tens of thousands for.

He said it because Jess doesn't like making picnic food.  As others pointed out, the experience is going to suck because it's cold out there and they're going to sit out in the cold to have the picnic and then possibly another lunch, followed by dinner?

But Faye insists.  It's her way or the highway and when she doesn't get her way, she won't stop squawking about it in her annoying voice.

It seems in all the BD shows, they don't make more than the number of servings expected for the guest.  In fact when the captain dines with them unexpectedly, they're sometimes short of having enough servings.

Again it's unusual to have one chef, no help, to prepare all those meals, as well as staff meals.  They usually have other chefs or sous chefs and in other shows they had a deck or interior member help with th prep.

So expecting Jess to have extra servings of this course or that course isn't realistic.  The hairs may or may not have come from the stews with their hair flowing, the way Faye wanted them to glam up for the guests.  Also what's the deal with the white gloves.  Is it good etiquette to shake hands with someone while wearing gloves?

Then the chip gate, well shit happens, so what's the point of going on and on about it?  That's not going to bring them chips.  In fact, probably the miserable weather and those uncovered picnic tables will be bigger issues.

But it's not like chips would have improved on sandwiches and some veggie sticks that much.

Now she's going to use Hair-gate to get Jess in trouble?  Who's going to cook then?  It took awhile to get a new deck hand, how long is it going to take to get a chef up to Norway who's willing to deal with the normal stresses of producing all that food by themselves on a TV show but also having to put up with Faye?

Kasie so wants to switch roomies but Oriana is going to torture her.  Oriana is something, she was egging on Faye to tattle on Jess.

For a slim girl, she was stuffing her mouth really well.  That was like Ashley from BDSY last season, there's a shot of her mouth full of spaghetti.  It wasn't quite like that but she was swallowing a lot.

Guess they do some real work now and then, work up an appetite!

• Like 2
  • Love 2

I can't stand Faye and her annoying voice. I don't remember another chief stew that has said anything about glamming up with "full hair and makeup."  She must think she is audtioning for a Los Vegas showgirl. Ugh!  And she thinks she runs the boat and can boss the deck crew around. Too bad Jess didn't say to Faye and her little it up  tattletale gee why didn't you girls notice the hair on the plates when you were carrying it to the guests??

For the record who believes that there was really one bug and 2 hairs in the food /drinks? I don't. I think it was the producers again playing theri little games. 

• Like 6
  • Wink 2

Although Jess does have her hair up, she puts it up while in the galley when she should take care of that in her cabin.  Seeing the scraggly mess of Faye's hair that she doesn't even bother to put up after the hair in the food incidents makes everything unappetizing.  The crew wearing the white gloves at departure made no sense.

• Like 8
7 hours ago, 65mickey said:

I can't stand Faye and her annoying voice. I don't remember another chief stew that has said anything about glamming up with "full hair and makeup."  She must think she is audtioning for a Las Vegas showgirl. Ugh!  And she thinks she runs the boat and can boss the deck crew around. Too bad Jess didn't say to Faye and her little  tattletale gee why didn't you girls notice the hair on the plates when you were carrying it to the guests??

For the record who believes that there was really one bug and 2 hairs in the food /drinks? I don't. I think it was the producers again playing theri little games. 

Edited by 65mickey

Although Jess does have her hair up, she puts it up while in the galley when she should take care of that in her cabin.

And they made a point of showing her flipping her hair back and pulling it into a bun while standing in the galley. It should have been easy enough to figure out whose hair it was in the food by the color and length. Ultimately Jess was right, the girls serving the food should have their hair pulled back. That's just common sense. And I'd like to know why Faye spends so much time using a curling iron only to have her hair turn out more or less straight and messy looking.

I do not see the appeal in rappelling down the side of a mountain. I can see the appeal in zip lining and hang gliding and sky diving and even bungee jumping, but not rappelling down a mountain. 

Faye is the one who keeps insisting on these outdoor meals after the "adventure" portion of the trip when neither the chef nor the bosun wants to do them. Why is she so surprised they keep turning out poorly when nobody else wants to do them? 

• Like 10

Yeah I’m no fan of adventure sports.

But you can enjoy the views more on the helicopter or even the cable car when they went paragliding.

The real popular thing in the fjords are hiking, which can be very challenging and take all day.  Or there are some trains which go up some steep tracks.  Then you take boat rides to return.  That’s how Norway in a Nutshell tours are set up.

https://www.norwaynutshell.com

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
7 hours ago, mytmo said:

Although Jess does have her hair up, she puts it up while in the galley when she should take care of that in her cabin.  Seeing the scraggly mess of Faye's hair that she doesn't even bother to put up after the hair in the food incidents makes everything unappetizing.  The crew wearing the white gloves at departure made no sense.

I also would not want to eat any of the crew food, after watching Faye curling (?) her hair while eating in the crew mess, with open serving dishes of food on the table.  That ws disgusting!!  Given the fact that Faye's hair always looks like a rat's nest, uncombed and unkempt, she may want to take her hair styling to the bathroom or her cabin, where there is a mirror so she can see what she is doing.

I also don't understand the whole "full makeup/bold red lips/hair done/hair down" orders from Faye.  WTF?  Why is she so insistent that these young women, who are very naturally pretty, glom on full makeup and wear bold red lipstick?  I've never, ever heard any other chief stew require that.  

Faye is "all show and no go".  She is a pretty horrible chief stew, seems unable to manage two other young women, likes to boss EVERYONE around and is a terrible manager.  One of worst chief stews across all franchises.  She always seems to be running around, but she doesn't seem to accomplish anything.

I'm not really warming up to anyone on this franchise, but I'll watch to see if there is a showdown between Jess and Faye.  Jess appears like she could mop the floors with Faye. 

I'm not a fan of Jess, either - I think she's pretty bitchy and seems a little full of herself.  Her chef skills are basic and somewhat adequate, but not what I would expect from a luxury superyacht.  And, I was repulsed by the removal of the hair and just sprkinkling some cheese on the pasta and sending it back out.  I bet that charter guest was getting nauseous last night, just watching what happened in the galley.

The natural beauty of the fjords of Norway is the real star of this show - not any member of the cast.

Lastly - I didn't understand the whole sandwiches MUST be served thing, and then the subsequent meltdown over not having potato chips.  Faye was obsessed with the fact that a couple of bowls of Lays' chips were going to the be the thing that puts that paltry spread over the top?  So obsessed that she had a hissy fit in front of the guests?  Made no sense to me!  

Edited by njbchlover
  • Like 9
  • Applause 1
12 minutes ago, njbchlover said:

I also don't understand the whole "full makeup/bold red lips/hair done/hair down" orders from Faye.  WTF?  Why is she so insistent that these young women, who are very naturally pretty, glom on full makeup and wear bold red lipstick?  I've never, ever heard any other cheif stew require that. 

Every time I've seen Faye I think "Chavette" (a pejorative term used in parts of Britain).  A Chavette is the female of the species "Chav", and a Chavette can be characterised by outlandish hair, far too much makeup, gaudy jewelry, poor taste, and hideous grammar.  They are often depicted as smoking and drinking under virtually all circumstances.  A rough equivalent in the USA would be "Jersey Shore", which applies to both male and female varieties.  

There is a hilarious article on "Wiki how to do anything" that instructs one in "How to speak like a  Chavette".  In one outstanding example, instead of saying "That was a good lesson.  Ms. Jane is a good teacher",  imitate Faye's voice (if you can/dare and don't care about your dogs) and say "That were a good lesson, yeah?  Ms. Jane is a proper good teacher, like!"

Oh my, I think I've burst an eardrum just thinking about it...

• Like 3
  • Useful 2
  • LOL 4

The chef really showed her a** this episode.

- when the guest found the hair in her food, Jess was more obsessed with whose hair it was that she was about correcting it

- her correction of just dumping more cheese on the dish. OK, while I'm not shocked that plates are sometimes sent back, she could have at least replated and reheated it.

- her snark over cutting up the Norwegian cheese called gjetost.  She positively turned her nose up at it.  It's an unusual chese, a combination of savory and sweet, but it's a big part of Norwegian cuisine and could have been a chance to feature local food items.  Believe it or not, I first had it at the Norway pavillion at Disney Epcot, and now my husband and I love it as part of a cheese platter with sliced apples or graham crackers. She just seemed so narrow minded to pooh-pooh such a Norwegian staple   https://www.wine4food.com/food/gjetost-norwegian-cheese/

• Like 8
  • Useful 1

But Faye, you haven't been "the nice chief stew"  the whole time.  You even admitted what a bitch you are and were surprised they supported you on that jumping thing.

The bitchier you are, the less help you will get.  Then they have this silly cat fight over something.  

Seth and Faye deserve each other.  Her voice has become like nails on the chalkboard.

Did Kerry keep quiet to Lewis about Seth's power move?  Or did I miss it.  Hmmm

Jess is right.  As others have said, these picnics are stupid.  Have a nice (sand free) lunch on the boat and go to the beach for a few hours afterwards if you really need a beach fix.

Kasie is taking bitch lessons from Faye.  If switching bunks helps "calm the waters", go for it.

But Oriana seems to be having none of it.  She was on WWHL last night and was well composed and gave thoughtful, intelligent answers.

Bugs?  Get over it.  They grow 'em huge in northern latitudes.  I've seen giant mosquitos in Maine.

Radio?  That whole thing was confusing.  Was Nathan's radio malfunctioning or was it operator error?

Hair?  It's probably one of the guests.  It shouldn't be that hard to figure out.  Jess should have done a better replating and reheating job.

Faye thinks she's going to get Jess fired when she can't manage her own department?

Good luck with that.  I was hoping it would pour down rain when her stupid picnic started.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
1 hour ago, PaperTree said:

But Faye, you haven't been "the nice chief stew"  the whole time.  You even admitted what a bitch you are and were surprised they supported you on that jumping thing.

< snip >

Did Kerry keep quiet to Lewis about Seth's power move?  Or did I miss it.  Hmmm

< snip >

I don't think Kerry outright said anything to Lewis about Seth. He did tell Lewis he should maybe have a lead or something, maybe alluding to having Seth in that role.....so he could teach or let Lewis do more Captainy stuff.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

I don't think Captain Kerry is aware it takes teamwork between the deck crew, interior, and chef to make a great experience for the guests.

He is not interested in most of it. But I get the Captain is most interested in the deck crew for anchoring and docking.

• Like 2
17 hours ago, njbchlover said:

I also would not want to eat any of the crew food, after watching Faye curling (?) her hair while eating in the crew mess, with open serving dishes of food on the table.  That ws disgusting!!  Given the fact that Faye's hair always looks like a rat's nest, uncombed and unkempt, she may want to take her hair styling to the bathroom or her cabin, where there is a mirror so she can see what she is doing.

I also don't understand the whole "full makeup/bold red lips/hair done/hair down" orders from Faye.  WTF?  Why is she so insistent that these young women, who are very naturally pretty, glom on full makeup and wear bold red lipstick?  I've never, ever heard any other chief stew require that.  

Faye is "all show and no go".  She is a pretty horrible chief stew, seems unable to manage two other young women, likes to boss EVERYONE around and is a terrible manager.  One of worst chief stews across all franchises.  She always seems to be running around, but she doesn't seem to accomplish anything.

I'm not really warming up to anyone on this franchise, but I'll watch to see if there is a showdown between Jess and Faye.  Jess appears like she could mop the floors with Faye. 

I'm not a fan of Jess, either - I think she's pretty bitchy and seems a little full of herself.  Her chef skills are basic and somewhat adequate, but not what I would expect from a luxury superyacht.  And, I was repulsed by the removal of the hair and just sprkinkling some cheese on the pasta and sending it back out.  I bet that charter guest was getting nauseous last night, just watching what happened in the galley.

The natural beauty of the fjords of Norway is the real star of this show - not any member of the cast.

Lastly - I didn't understand the whole sandwiches MUST be served thing, and then the subsequent meltdown over not having potato chips.  Faye was obsessed with the fact that a couple of bowls of Lays' chips were going to the be the thing that puts that paltry spread over the top?  So obsessed that she had a hissy fit in front of the guests?  Made no sense to me!  

I could not believe Faye was doing her hair in the crew mess! I guess we know who's hair would be in her food. Seriously, it is not like she gets an amazing outcome for all her hair styling, it is a ratty mess all of the time. Put it in a pony tail especially when doing food service.

The radio issue with Nathan confused me too. 

A bug in the drink is not unheard of, at camp we use to have bug juice, it was just regular juice but eventually a gnat or two would wind up in it hence the name, bug juice.

The whole picnic thing was odd, why not just make a somewhat heartier charcuterie board and a mulled wine for the guests or a thermos full of a hearty soup and finger food and didn't we see one of the deckies eating a handful of potato chips prior to the outing? Also, why, why, why won't Faye et al make a check list of everything that needs to go to a picnic? That whole forgetting something is getting tiresome.

I am not impressed by Jess' cooking skills, she actually looks bored doing her job.

I am at an age where taking chances of falling from great heights is not my thing but I would have totally done the repelling, it looked amazing.

Was Faye wearing a helmet while waiting for the guests to come down the mountain? Why?

• Like 5

I can understand guests being hungry and thirsty immediately after physical activity. Did their preference sheet mention potato chips? Perhaps Faye was trying to squeeze them in somewhere. But maybe power bars and a choice of drinks would have sufficed.

Jess is a pill. I don't accept this nonsense about chefs always being temperamental. That's learned behavior and they should not be encouraged to be assholes.

I fussed about long messy hair way back when Kate was chief stew. She specialized in the just-out-of-bedhead. And while I wear makeup, I would not appreciate anyone ordering me to wear a lot of it while I work hard.

I think the only tolerable one in this gang is Kelsie. And Norway.

Edited by pasdetrois
  • Like 5
3 hours ago, Baltimore Betty said:

I am not impressed by Jess' cooking skills, she actually looks bored doing her job.

ITA.  She always looks like she would much rather be somewhere else than on that yacht cooking.  Her food reflects her boredom.

• Like 3
On 1/12/2023 at 6:57 AM, Baltimore Betty said:

I could not believe Faye was doing her hair in the crew mess! I guess we know who's hair would be in her food. Seriously, it is not like she gets an amazing outcome for all her hair styling, it is a ratty mess all of the time. Put it in a pony tail especially when doing food service.

The radio issue with Nathan confused me too. 

A bug in the drink is not unheard of, at camp we use to have bug juice, it was just regular juice but eventually a gnat or two would wind up in it hence the name, bug juice.

Was Faye wearing a helmet while waiting for the guests to come down the mountain? Why?

Sometimes rappellers can kick loose stones while coming down, so those at the bottom wear helmuts.

• Like 1
  • Useful 3

I cannot stand Faye.  When the new charter guest asked for a fresh glass of champagne because there was a bug in it, Faye says “I don’t see one” and then asks the other stew for a fresh glass because “apparently there is a bug in it”.  Basically calling the guest a liar.  

• Like 2