Type keyword(s) to search

I'm So Disappointed In You: Celebrity Missteps

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Out of everything Meryl Streep has done, Viola Davis, Katharine Hepburn, Bette Davis, every actress from the 20s, 30s, 40s,  etc. foreign film, etc. out of everything she's seen this is the best female performance of all time.  I mean really.  Why do people feel this need to phrase everything as so hyperbolic?  It automatically makes the person lose credibility.

This is what makes me think this actress's supporters are just doubling down and that is not helping matters.  Was it a good performance?  I don't know I haven't seen it.  But as I said before if this performance was to use Kate Winslet's words, the greatest female performance onscreen ever, then why wasn't she nominated for more awards?  This film was shown at South by Southwest in March.  It had a limited theatrical release and on demand streaming in October.  There was time to get the attention of other Award organizations.   Also neither she or the movie won any recognition at the SXSW.

1 hour ago, Spartan Girl said:

That had better not happen. I'd accept it if Michelle Yeoh loses to Cate, but to Andrew because because of this shit? The Twitter uproar over Chadwick losing* the Oscar in his very last role will be nothing compared to the hellstorm that will be unleashed.

I agree with you.  

• Like 13
3 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:

But as I said before if this performance was to use Kate Winslet's words, the greatest female performance onscreen ever, then why wasn't she nominated for more awards? 

Yeah, if she was that amazing in whatever that movie she was in, why did anyone need to fake generate buzz for her to get a nomination? She should have been a shoe in. This whole thing to me is just silly. I get that they care if they get the award because people will blindly hire an actor with "Oscar Nominated" in front of their names, but it's just such a waste of all these people's time and effort. Like, why are these other actresses even propping this woman up?

• Like 8

I only have this reaction to a particular type of person and Lauer is one of them. My first thought is he needs to stay wherever he's been hiding. My second reaction was ‘more humble’ my ass...

‘More humble’ Matt Lauer considering a media comeback attempt: sources

Here are a few outtakes from the article...

“He thinks that he should be able to have a comeback,” one source said, while Lauer’s friends are said to be pushing him to make a move like Megyn Kelly and put himself back in the games on his “own terms.”

“He’s still pretty upset about how he was ousted at NBC and upset at all the people he thought were his friends who turned their backs on him,” an insider said. “He knows he made mistakes, and he is a lot more humble.”

He understands that there might not be any sort of appetite for [a comeback],” said the insider. “In other words, he wants to see if there would be any chance — but he understands fully that there might be zero chance. He’s not unrealistic.”

“His friends would love to see him do something again,” said the insider “He’d be great at a podcast or his own production firm, using his skills behind the scenes.  He looks at how someone like Megyn Kelly has reinvented herself on her own terms.

Edited by Jaded
  • Mind Blown 11
  • Fire 1
1 hour ago, Jaded said:

I only have this reaction to a particular type of person and Lauer is one of them. My first thought is he needs to stay wherever he's been hiding. My second reaction was ‘more humble’ my ass...

From where I sit Megyn Kelly is still not welcome.

And Matt Lauer can stay gone.

• Like 11
  • Applause 2
  • Love 3
5 minutes ago, Vermicious Knid said:

Didn't Megyn Kelly's attempted network comeback crash and burn?

I guess that's what they mean by 'on her own terms'.  I haven't heard anything about her doing anything since she left NBC.  Then again, I really haven't been looking for her either.

Lauer can just stay out of sight, too.  It's been 5 years since he got the boot.  The public hasn't missed him and I don't see any groundswell of interest in seeing him back in broadcasting again.

• Like 16
3 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

Didn't Megyn Kelly's attempted network comeback crash and burn?

I was gonna say, I read that bit about her "reinventing herself" and was like, "...she has?" 

Edited by Annber03
  • Like 9
  • LOL 1

Why would I not be surprised if Mr. Lauer's actual MO for an attempted 'comeback' might be that he kept spending high on the hog doing little if anything to cut back despite evidently earning no salary in the last five years- and now could be running out of money and not believing he could exist on Social Security despite now being 65?

Maybe he and Katie Couric could entertain each other with ZOOM calls  but leave everyone else alone.

• Like 6
  • LOL 3
5 hours ago, Annber03 said:

I was gonna say, I read that bit about her "reinventing herself" and was like, "...she has?" 

I had the same reaction. Apparently, she has a Spotify podcast. Lauer’s newfound humility doesn’t stretch to realizing that his target audience was happy when he was fired while Kelly’s never thought she did anything wrong. 

10 hours ago, Jaded said:

It says more than he will ever realize that he thinks a lack of humility was the main problem. Everything in the quoted part says he still hasn’t found an ounce of humanity. 

8 hours ago, stonehaven said:

More humble? Umm, that implies that there WAS humility in him in the first place. If there WAS humility in the carcass of ML, he wouldn't be wonderfully(for us) unemployed right now....

Not to mention that he had respect for females (especially his co-workers) to say nothing of respect for the commitment he'd made with his now former wife!

• Like 5
  • Applause 2
11 hours ago, Jaded said:

“He’s still pretty upset about how he was ousted at NBC and upset at all the people he thought were his friends who turned their backs on him,” an insider said. “He knows he made mistakes, and he is a lot more humble.”

Upset about how he was "ousted?"  Like dude, you were FIRED for LOCKING WOMEN IN YOUR OFFICE AGAINST THEIR WILL (among other things).   You're lucky all you got was fired.   

Upset his friends turned their back?   Oh the nerve of people not wanting to be associated with a slimeball who did the things he did.   They had NO right to make choices about who they associate with.

Yeah I don't think he gets it.

• Like 16
  • Applause 7

Russell Wilson and Ciara's charity pays more in salaries than it actually gives out.

In total Russ’ foundation received $7.5M in revenue in through 2021, but only reported $2.8M being passed on to any charitable activities. In the expenses of the foundation includes a six-figure salary for a personal friend of Russell and Ciara Wilson, who is an employee of the foundation — but digging deeper goes further than that.

The website for “Why Not You?” doesn’t list any employees or a CEO, but does show its board of directors. This is a veritable who’s-who of nepotism. Not a single member of the charity’s board has a non-profit background, but rather they all share personal connections to Russ and Ciara.

Furthermore, Wilson’s charity raises specific questions because it was used as a key reason Wilson won the Walter Payton Man of the Year Award in 2020...Essentially the basis of winning Russ the award, and the justification by the NFL was the work Wilson did with his charity — which we now know went more towards benefitting his family and friends than the needy children it purports to help.

Sad but not surprising. 

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 5
  • Sad 12
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
2 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Oh shut up, Roseanne. This didn’t just happen to you, you made choices and instead of apologizing for them you quadrupled down. 

Are you really canceled when Fox Nation is streaming your comedy special?

• Like 7
  • Applause 12

She’s also got some nerve accusing ABC of trying to drive her to suicide, claiming that she knew she had “mental problems.” But it’s perfectly all right for her to harass people—school shooting survivors, no less—on Twitter? Screw her.

• Like 16
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 3
  • Love 2
6 minutes ago, Bastet said:

But she's forever coming from a place of "I did nothing wrong and shouldn't have been fired".  So, no. 

She is never going to apologize because she doesn't think she has anything to apologize for.  How entrenched is she in her offensive way of thinking if she can't even muster up a fake apology?  

7 minutes ago, Bastet said:

She can also miss me with "whose life’s work was stolen, stolen by people who I thought loved me" -- you got paid for your intellectual property, Roseanne. 

She was paid mighty handsomely for her intellectual property.  Paid so much her being "canceled" didn't hurt her pocketbook one bit.  

As much as I loved the original show it's tough for me to look at it now because she has forever tainted it for me.  I noticed Peacock has the streaming rights to Roseanne now and it includes the tenth season.  I refused to watch that season when it aired and I still won't watch it.

• Like 8
  • Applause 1
6 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Oh shut up, Roseanne. This didn’t just happen to you, you made choices and instead of apologizing for them you quadrupled down. 

“I’m the Only Person Who Lost Everything” - Even if we only count celebrities in the movie/TV industry, that is not in the slightest bit true.

• Like 13
  • Fire 1
44 minutes ago, JustHereForFood said:

“I’m the Only Person Who Lost Everything” - Even if we only count celebrities in the movie/TV industry, that is not in the slightest bit true.

The only thing she lost was her show.  And correct me if I'm wrong but she agreed to that.  She didn't lose the ability to continue her career. As I mentioned earlier she has a comedy special streaming on Fox Nation. Which was advertised during the NFL playoff games.  If she wanted to do comedy shows she could.  I'm sure there are venues in certain states that would book her.  If she wanted to do a podcast there would be people who would listen.  Roseanne is just the latest celeb to want to play the aggrieved victim.  

• Like 18
  • Useful 1
14 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

The only thing she lost was her show.  And correct me if I'm wrong but she agreed to that.  She didn't lose the ability to continue her career. As I mentioned earlier she has a comedy special streaming on Fox Nation. Which was advertised during the NFL playoff games.  If she wanted to do comedy shows she could.  I'm sure there are venues in certain states that would book her.  If she wanted to do a podcast there would be people who would listen.  Roseanne is just the latest celeb to want to play the aggrieved victim.  

Isn't getting a comedy special basically a requirement nowadays for someone to claim they've been cancelled?

• Like 8
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 5
27 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

"I've been cancelled! It's not fair! Let me tell you all over and over again on every media outlet possible just how cancelled I truly am and how much I'm being silenced!" 

I don't like the whole concept of "cancel culture" but it does seem like a joke when most of the people who have been "cancelled" seem to be EVERYWHERE. I mean, to me being cancelled means you're gone, no one will give you the time of day, hire you, it's the new version of being blackballed however, every one of these so called victims of cancelation seem to be getting more attention post cancelation. I wish the shows I love that got cancelled had half as much air time as people like Roseanne. 

• Like 15
  • Useful 1
3 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

I don't like the whole concept of "cancel culture" but it does seem like a joke when most of the people who have been "cancelled" seem to be EVERYWHERE. I mean, to me being cancelled means you're gone, no one will give you the time of day, hire you, it's the new version of being blackballed however, every one of these so called victims of cancelation seem to be getting more attention post cancelation. I wish the shows I love that got cancelled had half as much air time as people like Roseanne. 

Yep. Which is why I find consequence culture to be more accurate. Cancel culture seems closer to what existed before “cancel culture” even became a concept. For example, some of Weinstein’s victims were more effectively cancelled than someone like Roseanne will ever be. 

7 minutes ago, Dani said:

Yep. Which is why I find consequence culture to be more accurate. Cancel culture seems closer to what existed before “cancel culture” even became a concept. For example, some of Weinstein’s victims were more effectively cancelled than someone like Roseanne will ever be. 

Yes! Some regular people even call any criticism or backlash they get online cancel culture. It's ridiculous. 

• Like 11
  • Applause 4

I’ve thought there was something nasty and unhinged about Roseanne ever since I heard about that bizarre incident with Julia Louis-Dreyfus’s car in the 1990s. That whole thing was just ridiculous and childish.

• Like 3
  • Applause 3
1 hour ago, AgathaC said:

I’ve thought there was something nasty and unhinged about Roseanne ever since I heard about that bizarre incident with Julia Louis-Dreyfus’s car in the 1990s. That whole thing was just ridiculous and childish.

This is a new one on me. What happened?

• Like 5

Miss Barr seems to view herself as a one-way steamroller who insists everyone worship her and applaud her constant barrage of meanspirited actions and insults- yet instantly throws herself gigantic pity parties if anyone so much as objects to any of the above. I feel sorry for any minor relatives  who have no choice but to endure her- yet let's keep in mind that the rest of us DON'T need to endure her or publicize her antics!

Edited by Blergh
  • Like 9
  • Useful 2
7 hours ago, Zella said:

This is a new one on me. What happened?

As I recall:

Seinfeld and Roseanne filmed on the same lot. One day, a construction crew parked some equipment in Julia’s space and instructed her to park in another spot — which turned out to be one of the ones assigned to Tom Arnold. He responded by leaving a nasty note on her car.

She showed the note to Larry David and Jason Alexander, who confronted Tom in a “was that necessary?” way. Roseanne went on to go on Letterman and call out the Seinfeld people for being snooty, entitled elitists. She also put a Polaroid of John Goodman’s bare ass on Julia’s windshield and soaped obscenities on her windows.

You know, as mature, professionals do.

All absolutely ridiculous responses to what was a simple situation with no malice intended.

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 22
  • Sad 3
  • Useful 1
10 hours ago, Dani said:

ome of Weinstein’s victims were more effectively cancelled than someone like Roseanne will ever be. 

THIS.

They didn't get a comedy special, or get to go on talk shows to talk about their treatment.   They literally had to CHANGE THEIR FIELD OF EMPLOYMENT in order to earn a living.  

But do tell Roseanna, et al, how you've been cancelled.

• Like 19
  • Applause 2

Miss Barr's years with Mr. Arnold weren't her best (and, to be fair, both confirmed via interviews,etc. that he DID physically abuse her during their marriage).

However, their unwarranted mistreatment of Miss Louis-Dreyfuss has proven to be typical rather than an anomaly re how Miss Barr has interacted with those who don't instantly worship/kowtow to her way!

• Like 13
13 minutes ago, Angeltoes said:

That came out in Jan. 2022.  It wasn't bad and she's a pretty decent writer.

Except that Miss Pentland doesn't seem to have woken up and smelt the dysfunction her female parent put her through via sending her to 'fat camp' then teen boot camps for YEARS rather than personally deal with her 'rebellious' offspring. And for all of Miss Barr's (for once, correctly) having called out having been fat-shamed, for her to send her own offspring to a 'fat camp' is the height of gall and hypocrisy!

• Like 9
On 2/10/2023 at 6:25 AM, Spartan Girl said:

I hate the way her defenders in comment sections like on TVLine act like it was just that tweet which Roseanne made that got her fired. They seem to completely disregard the fact that she had been warned previously. She didn't heed those warnings probably due in part to thinking they'd never really fire her especially considering what she got away with during the show's first run. I've read she was different behind the scenes this go around, even so that doesn't mean that she couldn't have been in denial that her online behavior would actually result in her firing.

Roseanne being able to behave the way she did online probably made her somewhat easier to work with behind the scenes since she had a completely different outlet for her previous type of behavior this go around.  There's that section on social media who still applaud her while saying she was unfairly fired and cancelled even though she apologized yet again for something she was warned not to do. There's a lot of comparing her situation and Charlie Sheen's saying they were both unfairly fired.

17 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

So speaking of, Candace Cameron Bure is whining about cancel culture again. She showed how much of a bigot she is, people rightly called her out on it, and she continues to spout massively ignorant statements like:

Because only Christians are being persecuted in her tiny little mind. Not like there isn't a huge rise in anti-Semitic attacks including the US, like there aren't a million Rohingya who had to flee, etc etc. 

Candace can stfu with using that "someone has it worse" philosophy to try and excuse her continuous abhorrent behavior by turning herself into the victim yet again due to her "faith".  She and her brother are martyrs in their own minds and the minds of the ones who are their fans.

Edited by Jaded
Corrections where words were repeated. I annoy myself when doing that.
  • Like 14
  • Applause 1

My disdain for Roseanne began years ago when she picked a fight with writer Ken Levine about him being anti-woman. Ken answered back and called her out on her BS. Some of his female friends stood up for him and some female writers took her to task. So, in the industry, she's always had that kind of reputation.

Here's a link to Ken's blog that recounts their fight....

http://kenlevine.blogspot.com/2018/05/my-feud-with-roseanne-look-back.html

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Useful 2
12 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

Candace is the epitome of “when you're accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression." 

That is a really good description of her in one brief sentence.

• Like 18
  • Applause 1

How is Candace Cameron Bure cancelled? Her IMDB page shows steady work with The Hallmark Channel making Christmas specials. Bure (presumably) plans to do the same with GAF. That's a helluva a lot better than many child/teen actors who disappeared forever after their hit TV series ended its run.  

Edited by MissAlmond
  • Like 15
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
52 minutes ago, MissAlmond said:

How is Candace Cameron Bure cancelled? Her IMDB page shows steady work with The Hallmark Channel making Christmas specials. Bure (presumably) plans to do the same with GAF. That's a helluva a lot better than many child/teen actors who disappeared forever after their hit TV series ended its run.  

Until everyone believes what Candace believes and lives their lives the way Candace thinks they should she will think she is being persecuted.  At this point it's not even about religion anymore.   It's about Candace being smug and judgmental all the while saying I can't be free to live my life the way I want.  

• Like 22
  • Applause 2
53 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

Until everyone believes what Candace believes and lives their lives the way Candace thinks they should she will think she is being persecuted.  At this point it's not even about religion anymore.   It's about Candace being smug and judgmental all the while saying I can't be free to live my life the way I want.  

IOW, other than their purported faiths, Miss Barr and Mrs. Bure seem to have a lot in common! Too bad they won't just run off to some island to argue about which is the two is 'right' while leaving the REST of us in peace!

• Like 9
  • LOL 4