Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E01: The Sweet and Sour Life

• Start Topic

Having survived yet another brush with death, Tammy recovers at rehab, but a new scare threatens her life. The family adjusts to life without Tammy, and Amy's big surprise stuns everyone.

Air Date: January 17, 2023

• Like 2

I'm surprised the rehab place allows them to film in their facilities.  TLC must have made them an offer ($$) they couldn't refuse.  In this episode, they show the nurses interacting with Tammy both in her room and in the hallway and even showed footage of the emergency beeper going off and the night nurse running to Tammy's room when her trach got clogged and she couldn't breathe.    

Amy has definitely gained back a lot of weight and is again using her pregnancy as a reason to overeat.  She says she wants to get down to 150 lbs, but says she'll worry about that after she has the baby.

• Like 4
  • Sad 3
4 hours ago, Gemma Violet said:

Amy has definitely gained back a lot of weight and is again using her pregnancy as a reason to overeat.  She says she wants to get down to 150 lbs, but says she'll worry about that after she has the baby.

I doubt she's lost any of the weight since the baby has been born, in fact, I bet she's gained even more because she's probably eating more to keep up her strength as a mom. 

I don't know how, but I had forgotten how nasty Tammy & Amy were.

Edited by GaT
  • Like 10

The delusion is strong in this family.  How can one take anyone in this family seriously about getting healthy and really Amy has some nerve.  Knocking back can cheese was more disgusting than Tammy talking about booger blocking trachs.

• Like 11

I watched but I'm not inclined to watch this crap anymore.  It just seems like "same olld, same old".... Amy's eating everything in sight and claiming it's because she's pregnant.  OK, she's pregnant but since when did being preggers give you permission to eat every frickin' piece of junk food (AND canned cheese) in the world?

I think Tammy's just doing the rehab thing because she knows she can't take care of herself and this is probably the last place she's gonna live.  Even IF she loses 200 pounds, she's still not gonna get there given all her OTHER conditions.

It's TIME for this show to just GO.  

• Like 7
  • Applause 2
18 hours ago, Gemma Violet said:

I'm surprised the rehab place allows them to film in their facilities.  TLC must have made them an offer ($$) they couldn't refuse.  In this episode, they show the nurses interacting with Tammy both in her room and in the hallway and even showed footage of the emergency beeper going off and the night nurse running to Tammy's room when her trach got clogged and she couldn't breathe.    

I bet they picked that particular rehab because they would agree to filming on their premises.    They wouldn't at the beginning as I recall (that might be to prevent disease transmission to vulnerable patients).    The trach blocking would be terrifying.     

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 4

OMG Amy's electric blue hair & yellow dress 10 sizes too small was quite a sight 😵💫.  She's really piling on the pounds, sad to see. Nice she has gage making decisions for her.  Sure Tammy seems motivated but how long before she's begging to come home.  Trach & all.  

• Like 7

Judging by the small number of posts, I think many people feel like I do . ENOUGH! 

Things I think production will do this season:

Add more relatives to the cast, show Amy's ridiculous take on eating everything in sight due to being pregnant, have Tammy and Amy call each other "bitches", let Gage make any major decisions, fart, talk about farts, watch Tammy leave rehab and resume her life style, see Tammy's new love interest, have the family go on a trip to a park or the beach, I think I've pretty much covered it!

But, I will keep reading this blog!

• Like 5
  • LOL 9
6 hours ago, Snarkastikate said:

OMG Amy's electric blue hair & yellow dress 10 sizes too small was quite a sight 😵💫.  She's really piling on the pounds, sad to see. Nice she has gage making decisions for her.  Sure Tammy seems motivated but how long before she's begging to come home.  Trach & all.  

Even at his young age I think Gage is the best choice to make life decisions in that family!

• Like 5
  • LOL 16

I'm no one to judge weight gain, but, I'm concerned about Amanda. I didn't go back and look at her in previous seasons, but I think she's put on quite a bit of weight. I hope she's not trying to hop on the gastric gravy train. 

• Like 7
2 hours ago, HoneyBeach said:

I'm no one to judge weight gain, but, I'm concerned about Amanda. I didn't go back and look at her in previous seasons, but I think she's put on quite a bit of weight. I hope she's not trying to hop on the gastric gravy train. 

Well I've got good news and bad news on that. Sadly, Amanda has already had a gastric bypass.  But good news....I don't think Misty has had one yet!  Or Britney! 😉.   Although like a functional couple, seems that Britney has lost a few pounds along with her hubby.   Nice to see. 

They already aired previews of Tammy's new BF & of her on phone saying she wants to come home, but OMG, really??  With him?  Both super morbidly obese, both with trachs?  

Amy is a big hot mess.  Badly diabetic & pregnant, her eating is out of control, she's really cruisin' for a bruisin'.  As in diabetic coma.  I honestly feel sorry for Michael but then again he married her when she was 400 lbs.....

• Like 6
3 hours ago, Snarkastikate said:

Amy is a big hot mess.  Badly diabetic & pregnant, her eating is out of control, she's really cruisin' for a bruisin'.  As in diabetic coma.  I honestly feel sorry for Michael but then again he married her when she was 400 lbs.....

I'm sorry, because this is really judgy of me, but I really can't understand what Michael found attractive about Amy in the first place. She's obese, stupid, blind in one eye, & fairly unattractive. Michael is pretty much an average guy, what was it about Amy that he thought "she's the one"?

• Like 11
  • Sad 2
  • Applause 1

I'd think that Tammy would be propped up to sleep, rather than flat, and she'd breathe better.

I've come to see that Tammy is more intelligent than Amy, and more well spoken.
Doesn't Michael have a job?  He did last season.

• Like 5
35 minutes ago, BellaBabe2022 said:

So many people live in food deserts. Gas stations and convenience stores are their only options. 

Yes, but I bet they don't all squirt canned cheese down their throats while they're still in the car.

• Like 3
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, Snarkastikate said:

With him?  Both super morbidly obese, both with trachs?  

Well at least he won’t be a feeder like the previous thin boyfriends with fetishes.

51 minutes ago, BellaBabe2022 said:

So many people live in food deserts. Gas stations and convenience stores are their only options. 

Yeah but I think they have shown them at grocery stores before.

• Like 4
8 hours ago, BellaBabe2022 said:

I was pleasantly surprised to find that Dollar General, which are located everywhere in rural areas in NC, now have fresh produce sections.  And, the prices aren’t horrible either. They have essentially mini grocery stores.  Everything except fresh meats.  Sheets convenience stores that are everywhere also offer lots of healthy options.  

• Like 3
  • Useful 2
22 hours ago, Quilty said:

Why does Chris’s wife always wear that headband thing? I used to think she was growing out a short cut. 
How many live does Tammy have?

I thought it might be hair loss. Years of pulling her hair back could maybe cause a receding hair line.

Tammy apparently has many lives. I can see why her family is done being terrified with her frequent crises.

• Like 3

Reminder: Episode threads should not include spoilers.  All talk should focus in what we see during the episode and what was known up until the episode was filmed. If you want to talk about future events, please take it to the character or media threads. Posts have been removed.

• Like 2
On 1/18/2023 at 4:30 PM, Snarkastikate said:

I  thought Amy was making a joke about letting Gage pick the color of his own room.    Thinking about it now ...I think she was really serious about it!   In her own half witted mind.     

"It's his room,  he should decide"    ooooook.  

• Like 1
  • LOL 4

I can’t believe we’ve watched this mess for four seasons and not a damn thing has changed. Tammy doesn’t even look human anymore. Quite frankly, I don’t even know how she’s still alive. She’s a complete waste of resources. Any weight she’s lost is the result of hospitalization or nearly dying. 

Not that Amy is any better. Yeah she’s probably not as bad off as Tammy but she still looks like she’s one blocked artery away from Michael being a single parent. She clearly doesn’t give a damn about her health. Any Designing Women fans here? I couldn’t help but think of Julia’s “pig tour” rant during the gas station food fest. I see she’s back to blaming pregnancy for eating like shit. I wish someone would ask her what was her excuse when she wasn’t pregnant. I’m still traumatized from her putting bacon in lasagna. 

• Like 6
  • LOL 1
On 1/19/2023 at 6:13 PM, auntjess said:

I've come to see that Tammy is more intelligent than Amy, and more well spoken.

I agree completely.  I think she is smart and could have made something of her life.  Amy is another matter.

Tammy seems to have finally hit bottom.  Her attitude seems different.  When she is finally out of a controlled environment, it will become obvious if there is a real transformation. 

I think Amy is a lost cause.  She got what she wanted - the ability to breed.  What kills me is that she goes on and on about what Tammy should be doing.

Chris, on the other hand, is the real success story.  I also think that he and Amanda have really attractive faces.

• Like 12
On 1/20/2023 at 8:17 PM, WhitneyWhit said:

Any weight she’s lost is the result of hospitalization or nearly dying. 

I don’t know why she doesn’t lose more when she is bedridden and the facility is in control of how many calories she gets each day.  Unless she is bribing the staff or calling Door Dash like she did at home.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
On 1/18/2023 at 2:35 AM, GaT said:

I doubt she's lost any of the weight since the baby has been born, in fact, I bet she's gained even more because she's probably eating more to keep up her strength as a mom. 

I could see her using that as an excuse, like she did when she was pregnant with Gage and was eating what she claimed HE was craving in utero. I'm sure Baby #2 signaled to her that he wanted canned cheese. 

Edited by magemaud
  • Like 4
  • LOL 7
On 1/20/2023 at 8:22 PM, suev3333 said:

I  thought Amy was making a joke about letting Gage pick the color of his own room.    Thinking about it now ...I think she was really serious about it!   In her own half witted mind.     

I remember last season when Amy was serious about trying to keep Gage's first birthday party a SURPRISE from him.

• Like 1
  • LOL 13
On 1/19/2023 at 6:23 PM, GaT said:

I'm sorry, because this is really judgy of me, but I really can't understand what Michael found attractive about Amy in the first place.

They grew up together and his brother is married to Amanda, so they probably just got together at school and family functions and didn't look any further for a partner. 

• Like 5
  • Useful 8
34 minutes ago, magemaud said:

They grew up together and his brother is married to Amanda, so they probably just got together at school and family functions and didn't look any further for a partner. 

I didn't know that. But that would explain a lot. I think this shit show doesn't have a very long shelf life. Tammy and Amy are so not interesting. It's just like watching new episodes of reruns.

• Like 6

I don’t even like for my dog to be given canned cheese at the vets office. They use it as a bribe. My first pappy turned her nose up at it but the second one likes it. It’s so gross! That scene with Amy in the car was horrendous. She’s just acting for the camera now. Tammy, believe it or not, seems like she’s being herself, whether that’s a good thing or not. I don’t get the sense that she’s changing the way she is for the camera.

• Like 4
On 1/19/2023 at 11:43 PM, BellaBabe2022 said:

I did a little googling and Amy's house is only 1.8 miles from a grocery store called Alps and only 2 miles from a Walmart Supercenter so she can't use the excuse that she doesn't live near a grocery store.

• Like 3
  • Useful 5

I think it’s gross that TLC showcases this family. So many awful things “swept under the rug” about the Slaton family. All so we can point and laugh at the freak show. Let them do whatever they do in private. Maybe I’m coming from a place of anger…but I lost my mom recently from an illness having ZERO to do with her lifestyle. And to see this woman - Tammy - use and abuse the system makes me furious. I’m sure I’ll get a lot of pushback on this post so I apologize in advance. But I can’t stand seeing horrible people get enabled and “rewarded” for their crappy behavior. 

• Like 2
  • Hugs 2

I have a question and please don't think I'm purposely being rude. 

I've noticed that Tammy has a large lump on her forehead which I assumed was a fatty deposit. However, in her earlier school photos, prior to the big weight gain, she still had that bulbous forehead.

Can anyone explain to me if this is a raised part of her skull, or is this a cluster of fat cells?

4 hours ago, Chalby said:

Can anyone explain to me if this is a raised part of her skull, or is this a cluster of fat cells?

Fat. The explanation I've read is that the fat had nowhere else to go. That always seemed like a strange reason to me.

• Useful 1
On 2/22/2023 at 12:51 PM, GaT said:

Fat. The explanation I've read is that the fat had nowhere else to go. That always seemed like a strange reason to me.

Thank you for an explanation. Once again, I am not being critical, just curious.

On 1/22/2023 at 9:23 AM, magemaud said:

I could see her using that as an excuse, like she did when she was pregnant with Gage and was eating what she claimed HE was craving in utero. I'm sure Baby #2 signaled to her that he wanted canned cheese. 

I've never tried cheese from a can, but I immediately felt nauseous at the thought of trying it.

9 minutes ago, Chalby said:

I've never tried cheese from a can, but I immediately felt nauseous at the thought of trying it.

It is by no means wonderful cheese but it is not horrible either. I keep it on my ' hurricane shelf' it is shelf stable and make a nice snack when you have no electricity.  Don't go by me though I also gave Spam and Potted mean for the same reason and I will eat both.

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, crazycatlady58 said:

It is by no means wonderful cheese but it is not horrible either. I keep it on my ' hurricane shelf' it is shelf stable and make a nice snack when you have no electricity.  Don't go by me though I also gave Spam and Potted mean for the same reason and I will eat both.

Lol, well, I can truthfully admit to throwing up after trying spam when I was 8 years old. So, I may still pass on canned cheese.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1