Type keyword(s) to search

America's Got Talent All-Stars: All Episode Discussion

• Start Topic

Auditions 1 Premiers Monday, January 2nd, 8:00 PM Eastern Time. 

Winners, finalists, fan favorites and viral sensations from AGT and Got Talent franchises around the world audition for the chance to win the ultimate title of All-Star. One act is given a Golden Buzzer and earns a spot in the finals. The AGT Superfans vote on one additional act to move onto the finals.

I haven't watched this show in years, but I turned in several minutes ago.  There's a singer named Jimmie who blew me away.  I call it old school "sangin" and this guy needs a record contract.   I would definitely buy his music.  

I watched for Terry Fator and was thrilled with the new dimensions to his act. Loved it. Then, I was sad he got sent home. So, I'm done but I know Terry's got a great career already so he'll lick his wounded pride and count the money later.

• Like 4
9 hours ago, Crashcourse said:

There's a singer named Jimmie who blew me away. 

I agree, he's got a phenomenal voice, but I didn't like his song choice. 

Overall, a snooze-fest. I thought they would push Terry Fator through, but I was wrong. I've never seen him before. His material was weak, but he is a great ventriloquist. 

Maybe I'm a sucker, but I think Light Balance Sr. and Jr. are both fantastic. Of course they got the sentimental golden buzzer, but I'll be glad to see them again. 

10 hours ago, stonehaven said:

I watched for Terry Fator and was thrilled with the new dimensions to his act. Loved it. Then, I was sad he got sent home. So, I'm done but I know Terry's got a great career already so he'll lick his wounded pride and count the money later.

2 hours ago, Superclam said:

I agree, he's got a phenomenal voice, but I didn't like his song choice. 

Overall, a snooze-fest. I thought they would push Terry Fator through, but I was wrong. I've never seen him before. His material was weak, but he is a great ventriloquist. 

Maybe I'm a sucker, but I think Light Balance Sr. and Jr. are both fantastic. Of course they got the sentimental golden buzzer, but I'll be glad to see them again. 

I also just decided to watch this because of Terry Fator.  I swear I saw a similar routine from him before, just not with Elton John.  But, the voice going from one character to the other.  When we were in Vegas I really wanted to go to his show, but my husband wasn't really into it.  So, I thought I could see a little more of his show on AGT. 

Here's the thing, though.  As Simon said- Terry signed HUGE contracts in Vegas.   He doesn't need AGT All-Stars.  If it were just up to actual "superfans" there's no doubt in my mind he would've gone through.  He and Shim Lin are the two most recognized acts from this show and are doing huge shows now.  I think he just came on to give the show "cred" as the "best of the best" and wasn't interested in truly competing.  And, I give him props for that.  1. He doesn't need this show anymore for his own career and 2. It gives another act the chance to succeed where they haven't already. 

That's my guess, anyway.  I have no insider information.  But, just like The Masked Singer, I think he came on with the agreement that he was only doing this one show and now he's done.  I was happy to see him again, but I'm probably out now.  I FF'd a lot of the acts because I didn't remember them and they weren't my cup o' tea.  

• Like 5
  • Applause 1
2 hours ago, Whimsy said:

I think he just came on to give the show "cred" as the "best of the best" and wasn't interested in truly competing.

My thoughts exactly!  I wouldn't be surprised if they paid him a boat load just to come on the show to bolster the ratings/interest.  I'm glad he made an appearance though.  That is true talent.  Other than the Light Balance Kids, I thought the rest of the show was meh.  

• Like 2
6 hours ago, ChitChat said:

My thoughts exactly!  I wouldn't be surprised if they paid him a boat load just to come on the show to bolster the ratings/interest.  I'm glad he made an appearance though.  That is true talent.  Other than the Light Balance Kids, I thought the rest of the show was meh.  

Agree with you both.  With all the competition and them hammering home how much money he is making , I didn’t see him actually winning if he got further.  It had to be for  ratings and for the general public to see him again. 

• Like 1

A flute and a beatboxer. Was definitely not expecting that. Can they open for Lizzo? Of course Terry hit the Buzzer for DYC again. I really think most of the other talent was better. It would have gone to Vitoria otherwise I'm sure. Had very much forgotten the b-o-o-t-y guys, who were still funny. They sure put the effort into being a one hit wonder. Aiden gets the (deserved) win over Dustin, whose act was just as lame as usual. 

• Like 1

I realized my disconnect with this show.  What I find enjoyable on a TV screen is different from what the producers see as talented in a live show.  There are a few points where that breaks:  "TV vs. live" is undoubtedly big, but it's also "they think I care about the backstory, and I want to find out if the act is any good first", and "are a lot of people dancing at the same time entertaining?  I mean, a LOT.  That's talent, right?"  (Producers:  YES!  Me:  sometimes, but it's not a given.)  Some of that is a difference in an appreciation for what's hard to do.  Occasionally, like Shin Lim, an act checks all the boxes for both of us (the man practices a lot, looks great on TV, etc.), but often, I felt like this was "watchable later", but I fast-forwarded a lot.

This problem was more noticeable for the All-Stars version, where it was like the producers were saying "isn't that incredible?" and I found it good, but in a highly credible way.  It wasn't a waste of time, but it wasn't time to start booking tickets for a live show, even though the translation to TV is part of the problem.  (Also, seriously, I don't need audience reaction shots ever again, unless it's a magic trick where they're told to look under their seats.)

• Like 2
1 hour ago, marketdoctor said:

I realized my disconnect with this show.  What I find enjoyable on a TV screen is different from what the producers see as talented in a live show.  There are a few points where that breaks:  "TV vs. live" is undoubtedly big, but it's also "they think I care about the backstory, and I want to find out if the act is any good first", and "are a lot of people dancing at the same time entertaining?  I mean, a LOT.  That's talent, right?"  (Producers:  YES!  Me:  sometimes, but it's not a given.)  Some of that is a difference in an appreciation for what's hard to do.  Occasionally, like Shin Lim, an act checks all the boxes for both of us (the man practices a lot, looks great on TV, etc.), but often, I felt like this was "watchable later", but I fast-forwarded a lot.

This problem was more noticeable for the All-Stars version, where it was like the producers were saying "isn't that incredible?" and I found it good, but in a highly credible way.  It wasn't a waste of time, but it wasn't time to start booking tickets for a live show, even though the translation to TV is part of the problem.  (Also, seriously, I don't need audience reaction shots ever again, unless it's a magic trick where they're told to look under their seats.)

I think they should have just made it open for 2nd and 3rd runner ups for the US.  No past winners here or other places.  Maybe make a separate show for  them 

• Like 1
19 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

A flute and a beatboxer. Was definitely not expecting that. Can they open for Lizzo? Of course Terry hit the Buzzer for DYC again. I really think most of the other talent was better. It would have gone to Vitoria otherwise I'm sure. Had very much forgotten the b-o-o-t-y guys, who were still funny. They sure put the effort into being a one hit wonder. Aiden gets the (deserved) win over Dustin, whose act was just as lame as usual. 

Dustin’s act was awful, and he looked not happy about not moving on.  I couldn’t believe the audience was in shock about his act.  It was clear he just changed his shirt and the picture while it was covered with a sheet.  Lol

Ugh, we have to see Avery Dixon's above average sax playing at least one more time. 

Simon is a dick. No way that act deserved an X. 

That act where the Indian guy hits the coconuts without hitting the other Indian guys was actually pretty entertaining. 

• Like 2

So the fans (or desperately trying to remain fans) keep saying we want to see undiscovered, amateur acts and instead they give us a rehash of millionaires or acts that have made a career of these got talent shows.

And the little kid with the super rehearsed routine about humans bad, nature good…. So trite and shallow. 

On 1/17/2023 at 8:10 PM, Tango64 said:

So the fans (or desperately trying to remain fans) keep saying we want to see undiscovered, amateur acts and instead they give us a rehash of millionaires or acts that have made a career of these got talent shows.

And the little kid with the super rehearsed routine about humans bad, nature good…. So trite and shallow. 

In this case since it is AGT "All-Stars", we are going to see acts that have been on the show before.  The judges explained this in the first episode.

This AGTAS is nothing but a "filler" until the regular show starts.  Why the producers....errr, I mean "superfans" haven't been revealed is suspicious indeed.

• Like 1

No GB for the third ep?

I was partial to the latin dancers originally, and in this ep.  

Shocking as to how mundane the singers have been in this All star mess.  Comedians are typically bland with little humor.

Simon was right about the boring magician.  The Japanese trickster was entertaining, but the light trick especially, was beneath the standards of anything approaching this venue/stage. 

There has never been an AGT that was beholden to actual vote totals.  The producers have the full right to name ongoing contestants and winners.  I like this "superfans" straw man.  It makes people wonder about the integrity of this series, which has none beyond the strictest legal adherence.  

Fine by me that Avery advanced.  That was a nice arrangement, professionally played by a tight group.  

Wow, Simon, way to be a jerk to the two guys playing cellos. (And Howie naturally jumped right in too). I mean, if you didn't love it, say so, but why attack their personalities and career choices? I guess they didn't grovel enough. Simon seems to love it when the acts claim that winning this stupid program is their ultimate goal in life; that they'll be crushed and lose all desire to live if they don't win; etc.  It's ridiculous. Everyone knows that only 2 acts go through, and if you don't get the golden buzzer you aren't likely to move on, so kudos to those two guys for not pretending that this show is their only goal in life.

Also, I hate that whole "personality" thing. Yes, you may need a special "spark" to be a star, but one person's opinion on what that is doesn't mean no one else sees any star quality. I guess the cello guys didn't have enough of a sob story, or "We overcame all these difficulties to be here" story. THAT's why Simon thought they were "boring" -- they weren't playing the game properly. 

• Like 3

I really thought Simon was being an unnecessary jerk to those guys.  I know it's his schtick, but I'm pretty sure all the acts were invited to be on this show. 

Overall, one of the worst episodes of AGT I've seen in all incarnations. I actually really liked the choir at the end, so of course they didn't go through. 

Why are we wasting time bringing back dumb acts that Simon hates so that he can X them on a show described incessantly as “the best of the best”?

Other than it’s obviously just a TV show 100% manipulated by the producers (er, superfans) and not a legitimate competition, of course. But EVEN knowing that, it’s ridiculous. 

• Like 2

At least once, I hope they cut to a shot of "the superfans", and it's four really heavy, middle-aged guys with mustaches, all wearing Bears jerseys.  They could say things like "I think the Bears have a shot at the Superbowl this year", and have someone point out that they're not, technically, in the playoffs, "but that doesn't matter."

That, and realizing the whole thing is a talent show, not a "talent contest", helps me.  Then I wonder why we need judges to explain what we just saw, but that's always been true for the voting rounds.  Maybe they're more like cheerleaders?

• Like 1

The freaky gal act is ridiculous, but she is one of my faves.  Why?  Because the outward contempt she shows to all concerned, especially the jidges, is marvelous.  The lady just does not give a flip.  You go, girl.

I really liked the choir when they first appeared and again in this series.  I was legit sad when they just missed (allegedly) moving on.  I would make them a GB, no question.  

Is there any chance there will be a call back/wild card?  

I liked the young girl from Romania who won tonight, she reminded me of Darcy Lynn.  I did not care for the little boy and was surprised he made the Final 3...there were several other acts that impressed me more, like the English lad who did magic, the Korean Karate group(Amazing jumps!) and the older gentleman who sang "Aint No Sunshine".

• Like 1

This week had the fewest acts I wanted to ff through.  They really need to work on balancing the crew.  I agree with the acts that impressed BuckeyeLou, and also thought the woman who came in third had a really nice voice. 

I'm not a choir person most of the time, though I respect the work that goes into a good one.

I looked at the ratings, and they are still the second highest for the night. That's why they stretch this mediocrity out as long as they can. 

Anyway, wikipedia says Ep. 8 is the last one, so hopefully that's correct. 

wiki is wrong this time. This from Gold Derby:  

February 27, 2023: “Finals Results” — The winner will be announced, but first, the Top 11 contestants perform alongside superstars like Weezer, Babyface, Adam Lambert and Lindsey Stirling, and past “AGT” acts Terry Fator, Mat Franco and Voices of Hope Choir.

• Sad 1

Just a rant, because it's not like the producers are asking me how I feel:

There's no reason:

1. We need the results show next week, since they've been doing the "superfan" nonsense all season.
  2. We couldn't have voted, since it's a week until the results. 

Anyway, I liked Light Balance, Mike E., and the young magician who has a lot of charisma for such  a young fellow. I don't like Tom Ball, but I agree with Simon that he surprisingly made that song work for him. I don't like Avery, but that was as good as he's ever been, and his increased confidence is quite evident. 

That said, I'm sure Kodi will win this, with Light Balance, Aiden Bryant and Avery as "maybes." 

I’m super curious as to who these “super fans” really are. 

Kodi Lee’s song was not as good as other performances. He might still win though because he’s Kodi Lee. 

Avery Dixon was great, loved his increased confidence, but I’m hoping Light Balance Kids or the aerialist win. 

It doesn’t make sense that the results are next week when they’re typically always aired the following day in a borderline excruciating episode that’s 10 mins of preview, an hour & 45 mins of brainless filler and 5 minutes of actual results. 

• Like 2

That might have been the worst magic act I've seen in any talent competition. It was ridiculously obvious that he forced the card on Simon. And then he palmed and dropped the card. I'm no magician, but I could have done that trick. 

Edited by satyre
  • Like 1

Someone I actually liked won. Congrats, Aidan. I did expect Kody to win because a disability almost always trumps everything else, and was also surprised Avery was in the top 2. 

It would be cool if Adam was touring to support his album and hired Aidan to perform like he did for Chandelier.

• Like 1

I agree, I was surprised (and happy!) that Kodi went out so early, and thought first Light Balance and then Avery were going to win. 

Either way, I'm glad it's over. Very tedious with only a few bright moments the entire season. I thought it would be 4-6 weeks, if I knew it was going to be that many episodes I wouldn't have watched it. 

• Like 1