Type keyword(s) to search

Degrassi in the Media

I find Miles to be pretty much insufferable, so I'm not going to be thrilled if the early part of the season is going to have a heavy focus on him and his relationship with Tristan (another character I'm not a fan of).

The little bit with Becky and Luke is still easily the most interesting part of these two promos.

Oh and I guess we know who got Clare pregnant, as if there was much doubt.

And especially since it looks like Maya's going to witness it (I thought it might be an editing trick with the audio but you can just see someone in the background). I guess it'll make some people happy, if this makes her revisit her feelings about Cam, but I think it's tacky and uninspiring to have Miles do the same thing in the same location. Hopefully it'll be better in context and not simply Cam 2.0.

Maybe he's not jumping to injure himself, but for the rush of it, or for control. Of course, he'll hurt himself in the process but it's not the goal. Everyone has their breaking point but this would be a very over the top way to introduce a physical harm plot for him. Ah, I don't know. The balcony thing throws me off completely. Everything else I can more or less wrap my mind around but this is just... and this is just for the first block of episodes! Geez. But I'm excited.

As for the rest of the promo, I'm excited to see the cheer team back, and with new uniforms. The baby blue doesn't match the school colors but I wouldn't be mad about a new color palette with the school repairs and everything.

Isn't there enough drama with Drew and Clare as it is? Working together to get through whatever she decides to do with the pregnancy? Clare figuring out which guy to choose (since Eli's back, ugh) and what to do about college? Why add this Drew/Becky thing to it, too? I could buy it if Bianca or Katie had returned but they went with Becky, one of the last available seniors he hasn't already gotten with, and couldn't even be bothered to spend time setting it up.

I hope we see more of the niners and the rubber room kids, get things set up for when the seniors leave.

• Love 1

That Shark in the Water clip really helped build buzz for that season, which paid off with a strong group of early episodes. I hope this year's video can have a similar impact.

Speaking of videos, the other day the official Degrassi YouTube page posted a clip of cast members playing Musical Chairs. There's nothing particularly remarkable about the clip (other than just how many skinny people are on this show), but I can't help but notice that this group will now be the core of the cast as the seniors graduate.

I think Shark in the Water is my favorite. The S12 one is good too, but S10 is is really creative and stylish. And the song is pretty catchy.

I noticed in the musical chairs video that Tiny was part of the group, so I'm assuming he'll be around more; and that Lyle's hair is darker again; and I think Eric Osborne's hair was a little longer. I tentatively approve of all these things.

• Love 1

Wait, that was Miles? I thought it was "Mike, no!" Like, Dallas, pretty much my fav male character besides the Forgotten Dave. So, I literally said "Mike, no!" I liked Cam way more than Miles.

I loathe Tristian and his lack of a personality, so I'm mildly interested if it is Miles. I remember when the LGBT characters were rrelatable. Tristian is just a stereotype, imo. I miss Marco and definitely Paige. These characters need Paige to counsel them. I'd even take a rapidly aged Spinner/Emma baby now.

And ugh. Drew is ruined now. I was starting to like Drew again. Claire ruins everything. She's worse than Emma since she doesn't have dolphin pants. But at least Luke is in jail. I wonder who Zig is shirtless, I like you for. Zoe?

The show is returning on October 28th.

E! Onine has a little behind the scenes clip about the promo and more importantly, a write-up about the new characters. Plus points for no new little blonde girls. And here's a cast picture. Someone should tell Olivia and Lyle to cheer the fuck up. Or perhaps they thought they were at a different photo shoot than the others?

2cn47r.jpg

Edited by Slade347

Here's a short BTS look at the filming of the S14 music video, which will premiere tomorrow (not sure when it'll be online but it's supposed to air on TeenNick at 9pm Eastern):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whmhvf2HXDw

Some photos from the season premiere episode can be found on MTV.ca, and DegrassiBlog is updating this page with promotional photos as they come out (I think most of them are coming out tomorrow as well). @Slade347, I agree, Lyle and Olivia look out of place with their somber expressions but in another cast photo, Olivia's (somewhat) smiling, though Lyle's still doing the model thing... Morpheus (Tiny) looks serious in one photo but is smiling in the other, so who knows what the direction was, if they were supposed to be in character or what.

Edited by omgsowicked

Hopes and speculation from the promo...

I hope Zig's bare chested confession of like is for Zoe and not Maya because enough already.

Zoe's "no one will know it's us" sounds pretty ominous. Is she going back to her mean girl ways? It would be kind of nice to have a cheerleader again.

So it seems like they're committing to Becky/Drew. From a weak start, Drew has become one of my favorites because of Luke's performance but I'm not a big fan of this couple.

I do not care about Miles' little sister and Winston.

Could the rubber room kids make Maya actually interesting again/will they force a romantic relationship with Grace? Please no.

I doubt they'll be visiting prison/the detention center a lot but I like that Becky's brother isn't completely off the show.

I feel like Miles will still be kind of pointless but I actually don't mind pairing him up with Tristan. As long as Miles/Maya is dead. Which it won't be. But... I give up.

Oy, at Clare's "you got me pregnant." I wish she would have chosen to phrase it another way as though her pregnancy wasn't something that Drew just did to her body without her participation or consent. She's such an irritating character sometimes. She's ready to charge out and make things happen for herself except when something goes wrong and she wants to absolve herself of blame and so she acts like she has no agency and bad things have just happened to her without her contributing anything to them happening. Clare's the worst sometimes.

As for the new additions to the cast... was dramatic hair a requirement? Also, I'm glad Eli's still around because I swear I heard he wasn't even supposed to be in the past season. I doubt it but I hope he'll have more to do than be involved in Clare's baby drama.

S14 Music Video Promo:

That should be viewable in all countries... if you're not geo-blocked, head to TeenNick's site for full HD.

I was underwhelmed... I didn't think it would be like Shark in the Water or anything but I thought it would be more than this. Very short, not as many hints, and it switched between all the characters so quickly. I feel like they should release a director's cut or something, lol. I did like the look of it, though... minus the special effects. That was kinda goofy.

The only part that got me excited was the Tristan/Miles/Hunter part. Shipping aside, I was very happy to see something about the Hollingsworth family. I really like the drama that family brings so I'm glad it's still around and that they're getting Hunter involved (particularly that he'll hopefully be interacting more with Miles... I think they had one scene together in all of S13).

I would have liked the Hollingsworth family stuff more if it didn't involve MIles. I did like the stuff with Becky and Zig and Tiny. I was disappointed (but not surprised) to not see Connor and Jenna. I also was hoping we'd see something with the new characters.

Press releases from MTV (features a description of the premiere) and TeenNick.

And the gallery for Season 14  and for 1401 (Smells Like Teen Spirit).

Edited by Slade347

What happened to the other girl who was always around Zoe and Mile's little sister?  The one who was always dressed inappropriately.  I was hoping she'd get a bigger role because her character was funny in the typical "try to hard freshman" way.

MTV Canada promo for Smells Like Teen Spirit (1401):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yZYMAJFQ4Y

TeenNick hasn't released their promo for 1401 yet but they've been releasing a lot of general promos. It's easiest to just link to Degrassi Source's Tumblr instead of posting each link here. I like that they're using footage from the music video in them, so the promos aren't giving away as much as they usually do.

In addition to those promos, MTV Canada posted the first three minutes of the S14 premiere (accidentally, it seems, since it was taken down shortly after). I was really surprised by the opening of the episode, totally unexpected. Got me super pumped for the season, though.

Where the hell is Jenna??  They have all these concerns about being pregnant, having a baby, dealing with a baby, etc. and the one person who has actually been through it all, who is also supposed to be one of Clare's good friends, is nowhere to be seen.  

• Love 2

I'll Be Missing You (1407) Promos

MTV:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_X4S9jwKkG4

TeenNick:

And I guess I should share the recent news regarding Andre Kim (Winston) and his vulgar comments... HuffingtonPost.ca has an article about it.

I keep going back and forth about what I think should be done but I mostly agree with DegrassiBlog.com's response. It would be easier to fire him and be done with the situation but there's an opportunity to not only educate him (while he's still young enough to be receptive to it) but viewers at home. In the Huffington Post article, one of the producers mentioned that they'll probably end up doing a storyline about this in the future. I've heard fans say that they'd want Winston to have to do it but I don't know that I could handle the secondhand embarrassment, lol.

I understand that it's gamer culture to speak like that but that doesn't make it OK, especially in this case because he's on a show with decades of history and what he said goes completely against everything they show's about. On the flip side, I've seen a lot of people say that he's 18 so he should be old enough to know better but as a 26 year old, I know that 18 ain't shit when it comes to maturity levels. Of course, I'm sure many of us made it through our teen years without saying things as harmful as what he's said but still, I'm sure we've said and done some dumb stuff in our youth (without social media sites to document them) and hopefully we've matured past that. So I don't know if they should attempt to educate him (if he really is apologetic and receptive to bettering himself) or if what he did reflects so poorly on the series that it would seem like they were condoning or excusing his actions if they kept him.

Very messy situation.

Well, it's safe to say I won't be rooting for Winston anytime soon. They should just kill his character off. Gaming culture does seem to create a weird bubble where terms like "r*****" and talking of "raping" people doesn't bat an eye, but his Twitter feed was truly awful. Even teenagers who game should know not to drop N-bombs and joke about killing gay people. This kid clearly has a shitty attitude and is a liability. Poking around, it looks like Degrassi fans who follow the actors closely have been bothered by his comments for years. Only now are they getting attention -- interesting.

On a separate note, next week's episode looks a bit inspired by Pretty Little Liars.

Edited by Falafel

Oh really, @Falafel? If that's the case, then I'm even more surprised this didn't blow up until now. Then again, I never followed anything about Andre, so I probably missed any chatter.

I was wavering on what I thought they should do but I just convinced myself that he should be fired. The fact is that Winston's not a pivotal (or even interesting) character, nor is Andre a big get for the show, so there's not much to gain by keeping him around. I don't think they should kill Winston off, though. In fact, I think they should let him float into the Degrassi Black Hole and call it a day. But since he's connected (as far as we know) to two major characters, they have to say something. So just say that his parents got a lucrative job and they had to move, and give Frankie and Miles a new boyfriend and best friend.

• Love 1

And once again, Hazel is an afterthought.  Lol.  The poor girl can never catch a break!

Daniel Clark is looking good though!  Damn!

I applied for a job were she works I didn't get the job, she is an acting coach to children so many jokes that could be made based on her skills during degrasssi.

I really wish they had done a Degrassi spinoff featuring the older students.  I hope they will give us a peek at how the original Degrassi Community School kids are doing:

Is Craig still a rock star?

Did Ellie, Marco & Liberty finish college?

Is Alex still stripping?

Are Emma & Spinner still married (my bets are on NO)

Is Manny still in Hollywood?

Did Jimmy ever walk?

They had a good run, longer than many other shows.

• Love 3
(edited)

They're still shopping for around for a broadcaster and season 15 is still in the works, but yeah MTV Canada and TeenNick are ending their broadcast of the show. I'm think that was the reason for the delay, like it was probably canceled by MTV Canada/TeenNick earlier this year and they were trying to find a new network and they found one so it's safe to declare it now.

Edited by MegaJ

Wow. I always worried about the day the show would go off the air but I also felt like the series could never die!

But I'm happy and relieved to see that they're still moving ahead with S15 and are looking for new broadcasters. Between the seniors leaving at the end of S14 and this network change, this could be a refreshing kick in the pants for the show. @Grrpants09, I agree, ABC Family might be a good option for the US.

DegrassiBlog.com is updating with news as it comes out, follow it here.

Also, TeenNick and MTV Canada are going to air 14B every day between July 20th and July 31st, which, wow, way to burn off the series. TeenNick is going to air an hour-long special before the 14B finale.

What I wonder is: the MTV Canada press release says the "final" season is 12 episodes long but they also filmed a four episode "summer vacation" special... will that be in limbo until they get their new broadcasters?

• Love 1

I hope they find a new home for the show. I was actually looking forward to Clare, Alli and Drew finally leaving. I like some of the younger kids (Maya, Zig, Frankie) but the never-ending senior year and the Clare-Eli-Drew drama have really been dragging the show down.

• Love 2

I really wish they had done a Degrassi spinoff featuring the older students.  I hope they will give us a peek at how the original Degrassi Community School kids are doing:

Is Craig still a rock star?

Did Ellie, Marco & Liberty finish college?

Is Alex still stripping?

Are Emma & Spinner still married (my bets are on NO)

Is Manny still in Hollywood?

Did Jimmy ever walk?

They had a good run, longer than many other shows.

I second this! I wonder if any of them would actually come back. I know it's a hell no for Aubrey. He's still sensitive about Jimmy getting cut, like he's sensitive about everything, lol! But the others might be receptive. Are any of them, besides Aubrey and Jake doing anything significant right now?