Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E10: The List

WendyCR72
  • Start Topic

Airing January 3, 2023:

Detective Nyla Harper and James find themselves in the middle of a bank robbery which leads the entire team on a citywide manhunt. Meanwhile, Tim and Lucy finally go on their first date, but it does have a few complications.

• Thanks 1
14 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

Meanwhile, Tim and Lucy finally go on their first date, but it does have a few complications.

Unspoiled speculations:
Likely “complications” for a first date with Tim and Lucy:

• Tim’s ex messages him that she’s pregnant
  • Lucy’s ex shows up at the next table with a date who looks a lot like Lucy and hums the tune Lucy sang when she was kidnapped and buried in the barrel with a video camera in the desert  
  • The restaurant becomes an active crime scene

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 1
  • LOL 5
18 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Unspoiled speculations:
Likely “complications” for a first date with Tim and Lucy:

• Tim’s ex messages him that she’s pregnant
  • Lucy’s ex shows up at the next table with a date who looks a lot like Lucy and hums the tune Lucy sang when she was kidnapped and buried in the barrel with a video camera in the desert  
  • The restaurant becomes an active crime scene

Ooooh or maybe some of the wait staff is people they have arrested and they feel uncomfortable being served by those people

or Tim's car gets stolen!

Well..it wasn't a bad episode, apart from the cliche writing of our beloved heroes being constantly cops even during their private lives. It is so predictable by now, that a big or a small crime will happen while they are on a date, a diner, a party, they walk the dog or they are just at their home. LA must be a real hell..
Although I am very surprised Bailey did not appear. At all! wow!

So I guess this was a crossover and Nolan goes to Rookie Feds next as a liaison.. Good for him. I will not follow. The "you must  all love my huge boobs-it is an order!" FBI lady reminded me how much annoying she is. Thanks the TV Gods she wasn't too much present in this one. I am pretty much sure in some of the darkest prisons of our planet her recorded voice is used for torture .. 

• Like 8

So now we know, Chenford had to stop an assault with a deadly weapon. But the big plot point how to counsel Officer Nolan's "rookie", I guess with the Rookie Universe "Boot" is now gone probably along with "Probie" over on Feds. Fears of hypercritical  advice.

The bank escape manhunt takes from Heat and the real life North Hollywood bank shootout. I was expecting Bailey's fire company to save Sergeant Bradford and Officer Thorson in the scene that looks like Fire Country's holiday season cliffhanger. Pretty good episode all told. Can The Rookie: Feds keep up the dramady?

• Like 1

This is actually quite a good episode, by The Rookie's standard.

And there's NO BAILEY! Only badass Nyla with her spidey senses.

There are some interesting lines that make me chuckles...

"Sir, with all due respect, Lucy will kill me if I let you die, so I'm dead either way."

- Aaron to Tim

Wesley : "Of course. We'd love to. I mean, first, we'd be very sad because you're dead but..."

Angela : "But then we'd raise her [Leah] like our own."

James : "You're the richest people we know."

Tim : "I guess this is our official first date."

Lucy : "Last night was. For sure. I mean it's a better story for the grandkids."

Tim : "We've got grandkids now. Nice."

Chenford trying to figure out what to wear on their first official date is awkwardly cute!

Am not much of a shipper, but the good thing is Chenford happens in a more organic way as compared to Miggy.

Edited by SnazzyDaisy
  • Like 7
  • Love 3

I suspect Bailey was driving the medic unit used as the distraction during the hostage situation when Bradford slipped under the car with the drill, but her scene got cut.  Thankfully.

Actually at first, I didn't understand the medic unit was the distraction and was all "Of course, here comes Bailey to save the day.   Again."

Not a bad episode.  I liked the running gag of crimes interrupting the Chenford dates.  Especially the "Hey, moron!" badge flash.  The Chenford date wasn't as bad as I feared, they were both being adult and funny, and Chen steered clear of her Jr. High tendencies.  Maybe now that the awkward flirtation stage is in the past, so will those sorts of immature hijinks?  Their paranoia about everyone knowing it was a date was amusing, especially when nobody really cared or even added two plus two.  I liked how they are so obsessed with this new change in their relationship that they don't realize the rest of the world isn't as caught up in it as they are.  I'm cautiously optimistic.

• Like 9

The bank employee was told by Nyla to hit the silent alarm.  Instead she sat there for several minutes before Nyla told her again, and she finally did it.  Hit the damn button lady!  That was bad writing.  Also, "good guy with a gun" definitely broke the law by walking into a bank with a gun.  They all have those "No guns allowed" signs posted - which also proves that a sign doesn't do shit.  And the "good guy with a gun" storyline was cringey and stupid. 

What I did like is that the Chenford date was realistic.  She wasn't acting like an immature idiot, and she was confident.  Sure they were both nervous, but they weren't childish about it.

• Like 9
  • Love 1
5 minutes ago, Slider said:

The bank employee was told by Nyla to hit the silent alarm.  Instead she sat there for several minutes before Nyla told her again, and she finally did it.

I was convinced at that point that the bank employee was the third bad guy!

• Like 17

Why is the Scorpio astrological sign (Aaron's sign) considered a deal breaker when seeking a romantic partner?

3 hours ago, SnazzyDaisy said:

"Sir, with all due respect, Lucy will kill me if I let you die, so I'm dead either way."

- Aaron to Tim

I took Aaron's remark to Tim that "Lucy will kill me if I let you die" to mean that everyone knows about Chenford.

2 hours ago, HurricaneVal said:

I suspect Bailey was driving the medic unit used as the distraction during the hostage situation when Bradford slipped under the car with the drill, but her scene got cut.  Thankfully.

Actually at first, I didn't understand the medic unit was the distraction and was all "Of course, here comes Bailey to save the day.   Again."

Even if the Bailey actor wasn't available, they could have had a throwaway line about Bailey driving the medic unit as a distraction. 
Maybe Bailey will just fade away from the show?

1 hour ago, Slider said:

The bank employee was told by Nyla to hit the silent alarm.  Instead she sat there for several minutes before Nyla told her again, and she finally did it. 

1 hour ago, HurricaneVal said:

I was convinced at that point that the bank employee was the third bad guy!

Narratively, what was the point of the bank employee failing to hit the silent alarm immediately?
Red herring?

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 4
36 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Why is the Scorpio astrological sign (Aaron's sign) considered a deal breaker when seeking a romantic partner?

As a Scorpio, I was highly offended! Not really, as my astrology knowledge is minimal so I have no idea why Scorpios make questionable romantic partners. 

That said, it was very interesting to see the show's perspective shift on workplace relationships from the first season.  

I'm not invested in Chenford, but I thought they seemed more relaxed and natural on the 2nd date (1st date, take 2?).  I thought Bradford hated fancy-ish restaurants, so I didn't understand why they went to one.  

I love the bond between Harper and Diaz (best part of the season), although I question the wisdom of asking another cop to be the godparent of your child. But there was plenty of implausibility to go around, and this was the least of it. 

I've no interest in Rookie: FBI edition.  Still, I'm kind of curious what happens to the black woman as the last of bank robber trio still standing and apparent mastermind. 

• Like 6

Two points:

1. The appearance of Niecy Nash/Simone Clark is a reliable indicator of imminent cringe.
  2. What sort of cheap budget does this show have? Baddie burns his car and has to use a match.  What, Props can't afford a Zippo?
2 hours ago, Slider said:

Also, "good guy with a gun" definitely broke the law by walking into a bank with a gun.  They all have those "No guns allowed" signs posted - which also proves that a sign doesn't do shit.  And the "good guy with a gun" storyline was cringey and stupid.

Does a  posted sign saying "No Guns Allowed" make it a crime? It doesn't where I come from, because banks don't make laws. Here, that sign would be considered a request. And a not-particularly-polite one at that. It's Hollywood's contribution to the anti-gun movement. They can't refute the "good guy with a gun" argument, so they discredit it socially with silly script-writing. FBI (the show) pulled the same stunt about 18 months ago.

1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

I doubt we will be so lucky!

1 hour ago, ribboninthesky1 said:

As a Scorpio, I was highly offended!

I don't know what they were getting at. Everybody knows that Scorpio holds the title of the sexiest zodiac sign!

• Like 2
16 hours ago, ribboninthesky1 said:

I've no interest in Rookie: FBI edition.  Still, I'm kind of curious what happens to the black woman as the last of bank robber trio still standing and apparent mastermind

In Rookie: Feds:

Spoiler

A few minutes into the episode, Amy (the third bank robber) rips out her post-surgery drip lines, gets dressed, and runs like the wind with her machine gun (not sure how she got it back) shooting it out in the street with the Feds until she gets accidentally fatally pancaked by a speedy truck.

15 hours ago, Netfoot said:
17 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I doubt we will be so lucky!

Also in Rookie: Feds:

Spoiler

Simone has a throwaway line to Nolan about “that cute little firefighter you’re dating.”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Useful 1
21 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I believe they're supposed to be very intense and hot-tempered.  I had a friend in high school who was a Scorpio and whenever she got in a mood or was over the top about something, she'd claim it was because she was a Scorpio.

I hate when couples are written so poorly.  Why have Angela and Iceman (can't remember the character's name right now so I'm going with his X-Men character...who might actually have been played by his twin brother. , now that I think about it.  Never sure with those two) never discussed how many kids they want or how far apart they'd like the spacing?  And what was with the awkward declaration that Chen made about how she wasn't planning on sleeping with Bradford right away?  I mean, we're most of us assuming that they weren't just going to jump into bed together?  Don't know why they had to write dialogue about that.  

Overall, I just found this episode boring and started doing housework in the middle of it.

Edited by Snapdragon
  • Like 2
  • LOL 1

I haven't watched the Feds episode yet. Not sure if I'm going to. I watched the last "crossover" and felt duped into watching it. It was BARELY a crossover, and that show sucks.

Loved the Bradford and Chen stuff 😬 I love them together, mostly because I just adore Eric/Tim.

• Like 4
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, LakeGal said:

I started to fast forward the minute Niecy's character showed up.  Then I kept doing it and never bothered to watch the Feds ep.

I sometimes watch late-night showings of Reba on Hallmark channel.  Last night they showed a 2003 episode where Niecy Nash played a Lamaze coach!  She looked exactly the same! 

2 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

I too like the Lucy/Tim pairing.  They seem to have swept under the rug the Lucy/Nolan relationship, as if it never happened. 

I think the writers are just waiting for an appropriate time to bring it up again- probably right at the point when Lucy and Tim are hitting a nice groove in their relationship.  Maybe I have watched too many soaps... lol

• Like 1

@shapeshifter, thanks for the (kind of hilarious) spoiler! Saved me some time.   

7 hours ago, Snapdragon said:

Why have Angela and Iceman (can't remember the character's name right now so I'm going with his X-Men character...who might actually have been played by his twin brother. , now that I think about it.  Never sure with those two) never discussed how many kids they want or how far apart they'd like the spacing? 

You took it all the way back to X-Men! I think you have the right twin - his brother has a fuller face, if I recall. I just realized I used the actress' last name (Diaz) instead of Lopez in an earlier post, so can relate to the name mix-ups. 

Anyway, yes, you would think they would have already had a discussion about the number of kids.  Totally understand why Angela wants to postpone, but why not make make that clear before you get pregnant or (at least) while you're pregnant with the first? I'm unfair for putting the onus on her, but given she bears the physical burden and risks of pregnancy, it's on her to set the boundaries, IMO. Her body, her responsibility. 

7 hours ago, Snapdragon said:

And what was with the awkward declaration that Chen made about how she wasn't planning on sleeping with Bradford right away?  I mean, we're most of us assuming that they weren't just going to jump into bed together?  Don't know why they had to write dialogue about that.  

Which made her quip about the grandkids on the very next date even more ridiculous.  Taken alone, it would have just been fun flirting.  But her "no-sex, take things slow" declaration the night before made her seem fickle. But hey, I barely tolerate Chen.  

2 hours ago, domina89 said:

I think the writers are just waiting for an appropriate time to bring it up again- probably right at the point when Lucy and Tim are hitting a nice groove in their relationship.  

I don't know...I feel like the show has forgotten about them.  Or at least, they want the viewers to do so, given the last of chemistry between the actors.      

• Like 1

As a Scorpio cusp, there is a belief that we are hot tempered, possessive, opinionated, and hold grudges. Also, a high percentage of murderers are Scorpios. But it matters what the person’s rising and Venus is to get a good romantic picture. Scorpio confession - I will remember my second grade bully’s name to the day I die.

Edited by Grammaeryn
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1

Without delving into gun politics, and regarding the firearm plot points in this specific episode, run-of-the-mill bank robbers having access to full-auto "machine guns" (unlikely, in and of itself) firing so many rounds without reloading is a stupid-bad level of writing. For the number of rounds they fired they'd need an accomplice lugging around a 250 pound wheelbarrow full of loaded magazines. At most they'd get 2 or 3 seconds of fire before it was empty. I don't honestly care about baddies shooting things up in movies and TV, just make the scenario possible with good writing. Bad guy fires a 3 second burst and his weapon is empty. Good guys put one between his eyes, or tackle him for a loss; game over. And as for those signs, in some states violating them is a First Degree felony. In others it's only a suggestion. YMMV.

I frankly wish they wouldn't do so many shootouts in this show to begin with. It's billed as a light-hearted dramedy and IMO it would be far better to dial down the cartoonish levels of violence and maybe get into the more thoughtful aspects of crime-solving.

• Like 5
  • Applause 2
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, NJRadioGuy said:

Without delving into gun politics, and regarding the firearm plot points in this specific episode, run-of-the-mill bank robbers having access to full-auto "machine guns" (unlikely, in and of itself) firing so many rounds without reloading is a stupid-bad level of writing. For the number of rounds they fired they'd need an accomplice lugging around a 250 pound wheelbarrow full of loaded magazines. At most they'd get 2 or 3 seconds of fire before it was empty. I don't honestly care about baddies shooting things up in movies and TV, just make the scenario possible with good writing. Bad guy fires a 3 second burst and his weapon is empty. Good guys put one between his eyes, or tackle him for a loss; game over. And as for those signs, in some states violating them is a First Degree felony. In others it's only a suggestion. YMMV.

I frankly wish they wouldn't do so many shootouts in this show to begin with. It's billed as a light-hearted dramedy and IMO it would be far better to dial down the cartoonish levels of violence and maybe get into the more thoughtful aspects of crime-solving.

Yeah, it would've been better if they had had guns they converted into full auto (or at least burst fire) instead of the Uzis or whatever they were using.

It would be good if the show had less in the way of shoot outs and more in the way of "oh crap you have me at gun point, officer. I will surrender now"

Or the taser being used.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, bros402 said:

taser being used.

More of this, please, IRL and TV. 

11 hours ago, NJRadioGuy said:

For the number of rounds they fired they'd need an accomplice lugging around a 250 pound wheelbarrow full of loaded magazines.

Such a missed opportunity for a comedic element!
They could've caught the guy with the wheelbarrow full of bullets and made a deal with him for info. 
I wistfully hope NF reads this, but he probably has little say in the writing anyway. Still, I imagine he'd enjoy the idea. 

Edited by shapeshifter
12 hours ago, NJRadioGuy said:

For the number of rounds they fired they'd need an accomplice lugging around a 250 pound wheelbarrow full of loaded magazines.

Or at least someone who ain't got time to bleed.

7 hours ago, bros402 said:

Or the taser being used.

Of course directors like to show the effect of tasers and bean bag rounds on people as comic effect. You just can't win

54 minutes ago, NJRadioGuy said:

And also the where was all the spent brass that should have been littering the ground after all those rounds were fired?

I think after the Baldwin accident The Rookie was among the shows that announced they would no longer use blanks in productions. And to go back to afterwards would be expensive 

• Useful 1
4 hours ago, Raja said:

I think after the Baldwin accident The Rookie was among the shows that announced they would no longer use blanks in productions. And to go back to afterwards would be expensive 

Yes, that is very much the case. they are using plastic replicas with muzzle flashes added in post. Personally I think that's absolutely the right thing to do post-Rust and just in general. But if you're going to have the bad guys firing machine guns, the machine guns don't keep their spent shell casings to themselves. They are ejected in a torrent. So if they're going to CGI hundreds of rounds being fired (from magazines that might hold 30 or 60 cartridges), the empties should be CGId, or at least later seen on the floor/ground.

• Like 2
On 1/8/2023 at 3:13 PM, Raja said:

Yup - they stopped using blanks immediately and now do CG flashes.

On 1/8/2023 at 8:24 AM, Raja said:

Of course directors like to show the effect of tasers and bean bag rounds on people as comic effect. You just can't win

Yeah, it's sort of annoying - you think they would at least use it a few times seriously.

They sure have forgotten about the bean bag rounds, haven't they - they haven't even shown the less than lethal gun this season, have they?

7 hours ago, bros402 said:

Yup - they stopped using blanks immediately and now do CG flashes.

Yeah, it's sort of annoying - you think they would at least use it a few times seriously.

They sure have forgotten about the bean bag rounds, haven't they - they haven't even shown the less than lethal gun this season, have they?

I think that for Officer Nolan his rookie is not his boot. So they no longer play the scenes of them grabbing all the equipment to load into their shop as that played as hazing and not as training. On the streets it does depend upon the story they write.

With the blank issue I just saw a big crossover event on NCIS another franchise with lots of gunplay. No CGI brass being ejected there either. I guess until the viewers start complaining it is not worth the production cost. On a Filipino show that I watched with a police special forces unit when the change in methods occurred they did continue to show magazine changes, a cool tactical looking move, only I never figured out where they hid all the magazines they burned through on their firefights

• Useful 1