Type keyword(s) to search

Dirty Jobs - General Discussion

FormerMod-a1
  • Start Topic

DIRTY JOBS profiles the unsung American laborers who make their living in the most unthinkable -- yet vital -- ways. Our brave host and apprentice Mike Rowe will introduce you to a hardworking group of men and women who overcome fear, danger and sometimes stench and overall ickiness to accomplish their daily tasks.

This show came back in 2022.  Anyone else watching it?

I see the older reruns on Discovery.  My favorites are the Mule Logging, the reindeer farm with the moose that eats bananas (I understand the moose died a while after this was filmed).   The Mackinac bridge painting is hard to watch, I don't like heights.      As a mean person, I enjoy the Hair Fairy one from 2011, (they help people with lice infestations, Dave Barski touched his hair, so he had to shave his head, and it was funny, at least to me), then the one where Mike learns how to wax hair off, and poor Dave Barski is the target again.    

The few 2020 episodes were compilations of themes, animal shows, tight spaces, were fun.   

From this season I watched the rock sucker/mountain carver (still working on the Crazy Horse monument), and enjoyed them.   They have a marathon of older and a few new ones tonight.   

There was a story the first episode of the new original show about a man who works processing the leftover soap from hotels, and they change it into useful soap, and distribute it all over the world. 

https://cleantheworld.org/dirtyjobs/  

The pool cleaner episode was interesting, I've seen pools that bad before.    The Jelly Ball jellyfish episode is on now, how interesting that you can mix Jelly Ball ground up into any food, and it tastes just like the other food.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 1

I soured on Mike Rowe in 2012, but used to love this show.  I tried one of the new episodes and didn't like it as much as the old ones, but I'll try it again because I really appreciate the concept.

Mike leans too hard on his double entendres these days, and they're not as sharp as they used to be.  He even used the same one in two episodes.

I loved the segment on the soap recycling company!  I had no idea someone was making a dent in that particular waste, and saving lives in the process.

And, of course, the TNR segment, but that is such a stressful day for the feral cats, and the presence of a film crew made it longer, so that made me a little uneasy.  Worth it to show how important it is, though.

I had no idea there was caviar that came from the Mississippi River, so I learned something new from that episode.

That's the last one I watched before falling asleep, so I think I'm about halfway through.

• Like 2

The segment with the not-Old Bay seasoning was another good one; it's interesting that so many locals think Old Bay is what their commercial establishment is using.

I know we've seen Mike's parents before, but don't remember specifics; "I look like I'm ready for a colonoscopy" and "Oops, I'm mic'd" from his mom amused me, and I like his dad having read up on the showcased company.

The biochar company is interesting; I'll have to look into that.

I wish they'd put up a screen at the end of the necropsy one letting us know the dolphin's cause of death.

I couldn't watch the one about the deer pee; I got as far as seeing those tiny, dark, concrete pens they keep them in overnight to catch the pee - and not for any good cause, mind you, but to make something hunters can use to easier lure them to their deaths - and I was out.

• Like 2

That sewer in TN was absolutely pristine compared to the NYC disaster he was in during the first season (cracks and weeping in multiple places, rats and cockroaches galore).  If Mufreesboro's infrastructure problems and finances are such that they can go ahead and pay for having that coating while someone's down there patching a tiny leak, they are in great shape.

Any time they've done a sewer segment, it's frustrating to see how many things people inappropriately flush. 

The clock segment was interesting for the priest who's all excited about the history of time-keeping, but I cannot believe it took as long as it did for the last part to be called off for complete lack of safety protocol.

• Like 2

I love the woman in the beaver relocation segment telling him to "stifle" with the beaver jokes.  Seriously, dude.

It's rather fascinating how beavers are such accomplished engineers, building dams so they can create safe homes for their families.  And that, by creating wetlands, they provide a habitat for numerous species who have no way of creating such an environment themselves.

Obviously, you don't want them doing this in the wrong places, but they shouldn't be killed because we want farmland, so it's great to hear how many they've been able to successfully relocate in the relatively short time this program has been in existence.

This BBC Earth piece has great footage, including of inside a beaver lodge:

This is interesting, too, how they actually constitute a climate action plan:

• Like 1
  • Applause 3
On 2/7/2023 at 4:42 PM, Bastet said:

It's rather fascinating how beavers are such accomplished engineers, building dams so they can create safe homes for their families.  And that, by creating wetlands, they provide a habitat for numerous species who have no way of creating such an environment themselves.

Where I went to college in OR (the beaver state), we had a big ravine that ran through the center of the campus. An environmental engineer presented a plan to some official government agency (I think the EPA, but I'm not positive about that) that would cut down 2 specific trees and build a dam in a specific spot. The agency rejected the plan claiming it wasn't "natural." Within 2 years, the beavers living in the ravine felled the exact same 2 trees and used them to build a dam in the exact spot that had been proposed by the engineer. 

Your tax dollars at work!

• LOL 3