Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E01: We're Back (The Weight is Over)

• Start Topic

On 1/6/2023 at 9:42 AM, SunnyBeBe said:

Yeah….I don’t understand those who are morbidly obese drinking copious amounts of sweet soft drinks everyday.  I know a couple of people who do this and they are over 200 pounds overweight.  And, most of the time a milkshake with their fast food meal. It boggles the mind.  

This show may need to focus more on the mental health aspect of obesity.  TLC touches on this, but they don’t really take it seriously.  They seem to prefer raucous and bizarre behavior that portrays the patients in a negative light.   Obesity is a complex disease and the TLC shows tend to poke fun rather than address it.  

I know a couple who are really obese--they're short, so 250 (my estimate) is really a lot for them to weigh--and they drink "coffees" all day long that are essentially milkshakes.  They're both type 2 diabetics on insulin, so they just shoot up when they eat/drink too much.  My friend the woman said she allows herself two York mint patties every night "because that's a reasonable serving."  Oy.  I value our friendship too much to come down hard on her; she has other problems as well (bipolar disorder) so my job is to be her friend, not her medical advisor.  But she and her husband are so oblivious about what they're eating (and drinking) it breaks my heart.

Another friend of mine, a man, had gastric bypass surgery and almost bled to death.  His recovery was slow and painful.  But as soon as he was able, he started putting on the weight again.  He was a real estate agent and drove me around when we were looking for a house.  He kept the drink holder in his car filled with M&Ms and ate them all day long.  A little bit of high-calorie food eaten non-stop didn't make him have dumping syndrome or anything.  First he got a wound on his foot that wouldn't heal; then his leg was amputated; then he refused to cooperate with physical therapy to learn to use his prosthesis.

All his teeth fell out and he became incontinent.  And he died.

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 3
  • Hugs 1
  • Sad 5

Meghan needs intense therapy.  She really has some deep issues that need resolving.

Her and her fiance should have found somewhere else to live rather than cramming into Tina's hotel quite.  Probably a TLC shenanigan for sure.

• Like 6

Let me just start by saying I am pumped this show is back bc I’m trash and this is my version of scared straight.  

On 1/4/2023 at 10:11 PM, SunnyBeBe said:

If Meghan doesn’t want to lose weight, why is she on the show?  

I really liked Megan on too large, even well into half of last season but she’s coming across as a real asshole and her jealousy toward Vanessa is palpable.

On 1/4/2023 at 11:45 PM, SunnyBeBe said:

I’d hate being crowded into that hotel room, which really should have been just for Tina and her family.  Meghan should have made other arrangements, since she was a guest.  And, no doubt it’s scary and depressing, but it would be just as hard to feed the family high calorie food as not.  Fast food for that many would be expensive and inconvenient, except for pizza.  And any food would take a lot of room in the fridge.  I wonder how they’ll manage.  

From what I recall, Megan was fairly well off in school, at least that’s how Vanessa described her. And she has a mom close by. I just don’t get how she and her fiancé/bf think it’s ok to take up a bed in a hotel room that someone else’s insurance is paying for, like girl WAT? And the unicorn helmet skating, coke on girl.

On 1/5/2023 at 12:33 PM, magemaud said:

It annoys me how Meghan dismissively refers to the surgeon who saved her life as "Proctor"

Yup. Mister at one time too. You were unsuccessful with the surgery. Everything is someone else’s fault. I really hope this isn’t Megan’s whole personality this season.

On 1/6/2023 at 1:35 PM, Mothra said:

Meghan was the poster child for weight loss at the very beginning, as I recall.  Because she wore makeup, styled her hair and dressed nicely, she was the prettiest, too, and able to lord it over Vanessa.  I think she really liked that role, of being "better" than Vanessa and their other friends because her weight loss was moving right along, and she was the prettiest.  Her relationship with Dr. Proctor bordered on the flirtatious (on her part).

Then Vanessa began to succeed, after a ghastly, drawn-out period of being unable and unwilling to stick to her diet.  She was poor and ugly; her obesity wasn't firm and cute like Meghan's but loose and floppy and repellent.  Meghan's weight loss stalled (I think partly due to Vanessa's success) and now she's feeling mean and jealous and spiteful.  Since she is no longer Queen Bee, she doesn't get to tell the other ladies what they're doing wrong; she's no longer an example for them to look up to.

I think it's all psychological in Meghan's case.  I think she was so invested in being the best at weight loss and at being pretty that she just can't tolerate anyone else catching up to her and getting all the praise from "Proctor" and their friends.  The only attention she's getting now is worse than negative; people are not giving her much sympathy or concern because they know she's capable of doing so much better.

Perfectly said, but I do think that Vanessa’s success, no matter how it looks, sticks in her throat and she will forever use her as a barometer for how bad things are. Yes, I’m fat but not as fat as her. Yes, she’s losing weight but my weight loss is more even, prettier. Yes, I’m living in a basement/hotel room but I don’t have to live off of the food pantry. It sucks bc I liked Megan but this season is showing a really dingy side to get.

• Like 6
  • Applause 3

It’s difficult to tell who’s working at a regular job, working remotely or just using the show as their job.  We can’t know how much they make, but unless they are working for health insurance, it might make more sense to devote your time to filming the show.  Driving somewhere for minimum wage might not cover the gas money.   Of course, it would really be smart to get that medical care, skin surgery, etc. and lose weight so you could live a healthier life while on TLC payroll, but maybe they think failing makes them more appealing as cast members, so they keep playing the same role…..idk.  I wish them all the best, but for some reason I’m not expecting a lot from most of them.  Hope I’m wrong.  

• Like 1
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Bugfrey Von said:

Let me just start by saying I am pumped this show is back bc I’m trash and this is my version of scared straight

suev333:  Absolutely ..same here!  😆    Bring it on,  ladies .  Megan (sour grapes)  is acting bratty this so far.   She's so unhappy with herself she has to make "Proctor" the villain. 

And way to go Vanessa!  She looks much better with her progress.

I can't believe the gall of Megan and hub staying in a one BR hotel room with another family of 6 .  I'm sure they have no where to go but they should have bowed out .   Get their own room at Super 8.   Doesn't  Megan's hubby work?   Why wouldn't he?   I don't get these people.

Edited by suev3333
Getting used to the new set up on here
  • Love 1
19 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

but maybe they think failing makes them more appealing as cast members, so they keep playing the same role…..idk.

Well once they are all down to healthy weights there is no more show.  They don’t exactly have riveting personalities.

• Like 2
  • LOL 2
1 hour ago, MrBuhBye said:

Well once they are all down to healthy weights there is no more show.  They don’t exactly have riveting personalities.

Let's face it, the chances of that happening are mighty slim.  Meghan went through her gastric bypass honeymoon, now Vanessa is going through it. Then the hard work kicks in.  I don't wish her ill, but the same thing will likely happen with Vanessa.  Ashley has already blown through a less invasive surgery & she admits she's bigger than before.  I think Tina is a wild card.  She's petrified of surgery & can't even lose Dr Proctor's (extremely) modest request to lose 10 lbs.  Doesn't bode well but who knows?

(I know of what I speak, I had a gastric bypass almost 20 yrs ago - down to 170-ish but gotta keep on top of it, should be lower)

• Like 7
  • Hugs 1
  • Love 1

Vanessa 's new house is really nice....Much more updated than most I know irl.  Has to be Bravo provided based on the house she moved from, so why is Megan jammed in that hotel room? Has to be for storyline.  Same with that total fit she had when the scale came out. I've never seen a grown woman act like that.  It was sweet of Ashley to make those notebooks, and Megan just threw hers like it was trash. I'd have been pissed.  I'd like to see more of Ashley and her life, as well as Tina separate from Megan. She seems to be putting on a certain personality around Megan that comes off a little fake. Not as an insult to her, but like she can't be herself when Megan is around.  I can see Megan feeling like they're sticking it to her now that she's probably gaining, but she was so pushy with all of them when she was losing. So, suck it up ya big baby.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Wow - I never thought Vanessa would be someone to root for after last season. But I truly hope she continues a positive path to a healthy weight. Same goes for her son. He’s much too young to be that massive. I foresee a life of misery if he doesn’t get some kind of medical intervention soon. Having said that - Megan is an insufferable asshole. Never mind that she’s had surgery but is too lazy to follow up at all. She’s also living in Tina’s basement and has the absolute audacity to complain about anything. This grifting a$$hole and her feeder should be thankful for anything at this point. But maybe I’m naive and think Tina is a friend and not some fame whore and/or tax avoidance grift. At this point - who knows? All I can say is that it pains me to see people suffering and waiting for help and these assholes are just “figuring it out”. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1
On 1/6/2023 at 11:50 AM, tvfanatic13 said:

Good god Meghan. Get your own freaking room. Can’t Vanessa put them up? And her son disgustingly put food back in the bowl? Why do I watch this?

I know, right?  What  is wrong with HER and what the hell is wrong with her BF??  You'd THINK they could at least GET THEIR OWN FRICKING HOTEL ROOM!!! 

Good Gawd Almighty.  I'd have run her big ass off already. MOOCH!  Shit, move into the homeless shelter if you're that hard up.  Stop with the leaching off a family already in trouble.  And Tina's husband could have done that easily.  Bunch of nuts!

• Like 3
2 hours ago, goofygirl said:

I know, right?  What  is wrong with HER and what the hell is wrong with her BF??  You'd THINK they could at least GET THEIR OWN FRICKING HOTEL ROOM!!! 

Good Gawd Almighty.  I'd have run her big ass off already. MOOCH!  Shit, move into the homeless shelter if you're that hard up.  Stop with the leaching off a family already in trouble.  And Tina's husband could have done that easily.  Bunch of nuts!

Don’t Meghan and her bf have any family they could stay with for a short time?  I’m smelling production hijinx to create conflict.

Also don’t pipes typically burst in subzero temps?  April in Kentucky?

Edited by MrBuhBye
  • Like 2

Meghan is definitely playing the villain this season.  Man, she’s pretty horrible, but I still find Dr. Proctor laughing at her intolerable.  Yes, she was diverting responsibility for noncompliance with the program, however, that’s no justification for a doctor to laugh or scoff at a patient.  I’m pretty shocked, since it’s unprofessional.  I have to believe it was contrived and Meghan consented to it.  If not, it’s disturbing.  Even if she did consent, it seems inappropriate.  Ugh…An honest discussion about the situation and accountability can be made without attempts at humor at the patient’s expense.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Like 3
10 hours ago, Tipsymcstagger said:

This grifting a$$hole and her feeder should be thankful for anything at this point.

I am not a fan in any way, shape of Meghan at this moment, however I'm curious as to how she's a grifter?

How different the outcome if Meghan would have calmly listened then say to Dr. Proctor "I messed up but I need the help to get back on track.  I want to be proud of myself and I want to be one of your success stories."

But then TLC wouldn't have much of a show, would it?

On 1/15/2023 at 4:33 PM, auntjess said:

How did Meghan come to freeload off of Tina?  I can't remember.

I think it was something vague like neither she nor her boyfriend were working so they couldn’t keep their own place.  When we have record low unemployment lol.

• Like 1