Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E01: We're Back (The Weight is Over)

• Start Topic

Vannessa reveals her post-surgery body while Meghan struggles with stalled weight loss. Later, Ashely hopes to get surgery and makes journals to help stay on track, but it gets thrown in her face, and Tina's house floods.

Air Date: January 4, 2023

• Like 3

Vanessa has done a great job- I know her apron makes mobility difficult but she’s moving so much better! You can see the joy in her face. It’s infectious!!

I remember hearing in social media that their home flooded. Poor Tina and Meghan, Tina looked so afraid in that footage. Anyone would be in that situation. I have a high bed too, but I’m 5’7 so it’s never been a problem. 

Now I like cauliflower (I love the riced cauliflower stir fry from Trader Joe’s, and I liked it roasted), but it’s no substitute for potatoes! Vanessa and her son Jacob are tall, I knew Vanessa was taller, but I saw her son in comparison to the double oven, he’s gotta be 6’4? 6’5? I think her tears were genuine. She doesn’t want to see her son struggle the way she struggled. 

I get that Meghan is emotional about her stalled weight loss, it’s hard, but taking it out on the other women isn’t going to help. 

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
  • Love 2

I guess the skating idea was from producers.  No way an obese person would risk skating….it could derail your life and disable you.  Not a smart idea, imo.  

Vanessa needs skin surgery!  Did she get bypass or gastric sleeve?  

If Meghan doesn’t want to lose weight, why is she on the show?  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Like 7
5 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I guess the skating idea was from producers.  No way an obese person would risk skating….it could derail your life and disable you.  Not a smart idea, imo.  

Vanessa needs skin surgery!  Did she get bypass or gastric sleeve?  

Yes- skating can be dangerous for obese people, so easy to twist an ankle. 

Dr Proctor said they didn’t want to skin surgery twice, so he wanted her near 180lbs. I think she got bypass. 

• Like 3
  • Useful 3

I have read that patients can get the same results with the sleeve, but all the cases I’ve seen on tv and in person seemed to show the bypass providing much better results…..I know two people who got the sleeve and you never could tell they lost any weight…maybe ten pounds and they gained that back.  

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Useful 1
22 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

It’s not that much more difficult to eat lower calorie without a full kitchen.

https://greengiant.com/products/detail/green-giant-riced-cauliflower-broccoli/

https://www.target.com/p/usda-all-natural-homestyle-turkey-meatballs-frozen-20oz-good-38-gather-8482/-/A-16636689

sliced tomatoes

sliced cucumbers

sliced apples,

I would think it’s a lot more difficult. I could manage as a single adult, but feeding EIGHT people with a mini fridge? No freezer, and everything in the microwave so the texture is off for so many things. You’d be going to the store every other day (or every day), even if a friend was generous and let you have dinner at their house a couple nights a week. Plus all of the temptations every time you go into the store. 

I get why Tina was upset, she was forced to evacuate her home, that’s a huge stressor, and often when people are stressed they want that dopamine hit of hyper palatable foods. 

Yes it can be done, but I’d be complaining too and it’s just me! Much less 7 other humans. 

• Like 3
  • Applause 1

I’d hate being crowded into that hotel room, which really should have been just for Tina and her family.  Meghan should have made other arrangements, since she was a guest.  And, no doubt it’s scary and depressing, but it would be just as hard to feed the family high calorie food as not.  Fast food for that many would be expensive and inconvenient, except for pizza.  And any food would take a lot of room in the fridge.  I wonder how they’ll manage.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Like 5
  • Useful 1
4 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

Vanessa has done a great job- I know her apron makes mobility difficult but she’s moving so much better! You can see the joy in her face. It’s infectious!!

I remember hearing in social media that their home flooded. Poor Tina and Meghan, Tina looked so afraid in that footage. Anyone would be in that situation. I have a high bed too, but I’m 5’7 so it’s never been a problem. 

Now I like cauliflower (I love the riced cauliflower stir fry from Trader Joe’s, and I liked it roasted), but it’s no substitute for potatoes! Vanessa and her son Jacob are tall, I knew Vanessa was taller, but I saw her son in comparison to the double oven, he’s gotta be 6’4? 6’5? I think her tears were genuine. She doesn’t want to see her son struggle the way she struggled. 

I get that Meghan is emotional about her stalled weight loss, it’s hard, but taking it out on the other women isn’t going to help. 

It's not anyone's fault except Meghan's that she's not following the diet, and losing weight.   

• Like 8
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1

While weight loss is undoubtedly a huge endeavor, I’d think that being in the tv show would be an enormous incentive.  Knowing you’re going to step on scales on tv would likely keep me on track.  I can’t imagine going all those months and not really addressing it.  It’s almost like they aren’t interested in the project.  They only show up to do the skits and say the same things.  

How is it possible that a person who weighs over 400 pounds can’t even lose 15 pounds?  I assume she’s being paid to be on the show. I think I might like it more if it was really a show about weight loss and not silly scenes of joking or banter. The roller skating was silly and just a waste of time to me.  Meghan didn’t seem to want it either.  Just contrived for entertainment and it wasn’t even entertaining to me.   And there doesn’t seem to be but one in the group who really is serious about it.  

• Like 2
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

How is it possible that a person who weighs over 400 pounds can’t even lose 15 pounds?

Portion size is part of it.  They showed a flashback where Jennifer was in a restaurant and had three bowls of soup.  You wonder what the waitperson thinks when they order.  

10 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

t's not anyone's fault except Meghan's that she's not following the diet, and losing weight.   

Both she and Ashley had the sleeve right?  You would think after Ashley gained all the weight back and more Meghan would know that the surgery is not an answer in itself.  Although with the stomach being smaller wouldn’t you have to eat almost nonstop to maintain or gain the weight?

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
11 minutes ago, magemaud said:

It annoys me how Meghan dismissively refers to the surgeon who saved her life as "Proctor"

I think she called him Mister instead of Doctor once.  Then when she said he was mean to her they rolled the tape and he was kind but firm.  He has an ethical duty to impress that she will die if she doesn’t take it seriously.  It does look in the promo like he basically laughs at some of her bs but maybe she needs that tough love.

Edited by MrBuhBye
  • Like 2
  • Love 1
15 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

If Meghan doesn’t want to lose weight, why is she on the show?  

I guess the same reason that Tammy Slaton remained on 1000 Sisters.  To be the villain.

And, yes, Vanessa turned it around. 👏👏👏

Edited by Kid
  • Like 6

I watched but Meghan's  appalling behavior is hard to take.  Tina in her frustration let it slip when they were moving 8 people into that tiny suite....she said that in addition to her 4 kids, she really had 2 more dependents.  How on freaking earth did Tina become responsible for this overgrown baby & her null & void BF?  Is it just for the show?  How does Tina's husband put up with it?

• Like 6
  • Applause 4
  • Love 1
19 minutes ago, Snarkastikate said:

I watched but Meghan's  appalling behavior is hard to take.  Tina in her frustration let it slip when they were moving 8 people into that tiny suite....she said that in addition to her 4 kids, she really had 2 more dependents.  How on freaking earth did Tina become responsible for this overgrown baby & her null & void BF?  Is it just for the show?  How does Tina's husband put up with it?

Meghan claimed it would take hours to throw expired food out of the refrigerator.  She must move at a glacial pace.

• Like 4
  • LOL 1

I am not the strongest or the most active person, but I can toss everything from a fridge/freezer combination appliance in less than 20 minutes, including bagging and throwing in the trash can.   I can clear a full freezer just as fast.    So, for them to claim it takes horrible amounts of time to clean the fridge and freezer out is ridiculous.     Usually with a flood in a house, if you have insurance the remediation people are there the same day, your insurance company has a contract with them.   So, I'm guessing Tina didn't have insurance?  

• Like 3

I really don't know why this show isn't more interesting. It's four mini-episodes of 600PL all happening at once! They managed to drag out 10 seasons of Whitney "doing" things, but the best they can do on a season premiere is one time around a roller rink and a thrown notebook. When I watched Megan's episode of Too Large, I was pleasantly surprised with her attitude and had reasonably good expectations for this series. But at best, it's boring. I can't believe the 180s both Meghan and Vannessa have made. Good for Vannessa, but I really hope her kid can get some help. He deserves a future.

I can't imagine why one would call 911 for non-life-threatening flooding? Like, yeah, that's bad and scary, but 911 seems a bit overwrought. Police non-emergency, okay. Maybe for help in evacuating? That would make sense, but then why would she do a tour of her house poking at wall bubbles if they needed to evacuate? That said, I'm in the middle of the atmospheric river zone and live on the coast, so if I find myself in the same situation in a few hours, I guess it would be karmically reasonable. And I really don't understand why Meghan and her boyfriend (husband? IDK) can't get their own hotel room. More TLC shenanigans, I guess. 

Edited by monagatuna
  • Like 3
  • Hugs 2
  • Applause 1
4 hours ago, MrBuhBye said:

Both she and Ashley had the sleeve right?  You would think after Ashley gained all the weight back and more Meghan would know that the surgery is not an answer in itself.  Although with the stomach being smaller wouldn’t you have to eat almost nonstop to maintain or gain the weight?

If you take your time, eat high calorie foods constantly, and stretch your stomach out, so then you can regain a lot.     I've heard pudding and milk shakes are big factors in regaining, or sugary soft drinks can put a bunch of empty calories to regain also.   

• Like 3
  • Useful 2
3 hours ago, monagatuna said:

That said, I'm in the middle of the atmospheric river zone and live on the coast

I had never heard this term before last night when I was chatting with my friend who lives in San Jose. 

• Useful 2

I think Tina had insurance because she said they were paying for their hotel room and said it could take from a few weeks to a few months to fix the house.  Hard to imagine they’d pay for a hotel for that long.  

She might have called 911 because there are things to consider like gas lines and power that can electrocute you if you’re in water.  The fire dept checks it out and ensures the power gets cut off.  I learned that recently, after my aunt and uncle lost their house due to fire 2 days before Christmas.  Super sad.  

• Like 2
  • Useful 5

When you have a fire department respond, the electric company shows up immediately, and takes the meter off (the meter on the outside wall of the house, the round part) , where the electricity comes into the house.    Can you tell I had a small house fire about 10 years ago?   

After the fire at my house, it was better than before (no, it was a lightning strike, not me cooking and charcoaling).   

I hope Tina's house comes out as well as mine did.   At least no one was injured.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 3
  • Hugs 1
9 hours ago, magemaud said:

It annoys me how Meghan dismissively refers to the surgeon who saved her life as "Proctor"

Meghan's starting to show another side of herself and it ain't pretty.  I think she needs some psychological help STAT!

8 hours ago, MrBuhBye said:

If Vanessa’s son is 500 at 19, what will he be at 30?

In the ground.

• Like 3
  • Sad 4

I can’t imagine Meghan and her boyfriend living indefinitely in Tina’s basement.  Of course, maybe they don’t make enough to pay rent or a mortgage, but they are able to pay Tina something each month that covers their portion of utilities, plus something a little extra, that she can put aside for the kids college.  

• Like 3
16 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

If you take your time, eat high calorie foods constantly, and stretch your stomach out, so then you can regain a lot.     I've heard pudding and milk shakes are big factors in regaining, or sugary soft drinks can put a bunch of empty calories to regain also.   

Yeah….I don’t understand those who are morbidly obese drinking copious amounts of sweet soft drinks everyday.  I know a couple of people who do this and they are over 200 pounds overweight.  And, most of the time a milkshake with their fast food meal. It boggles the mind.  

This show may need to focus more on the mental health aspect of obesity.  TLC touches on this, but they don’t really take it seriously.  They seem to prefer raucous and bizarre behavior that portrays the patients in a negative light.   Obesity is a complex disease and the TLC shows tend to poke fun rather than address it.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Like 4

I remember that Meaghan and Tina's daughter I think started a go fund me to help pay for their insurance deductible. I seem to recall it was a really high one. Then Tina's daughter had another go fund me or maybe it was Tina to help fund a fence for a dog. That completely turned me off as well as their on-line wish list to fans such as a play station and junk like that. Get jobs people!

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

They have jobs, on a TV show.   They're hoping to become media stars, make appearances for money, and be celebrities.    Maybe a book deal with ghost writers.     They think it's easy money, they should search what happened to Ruby from the weightloss show a long time ago, almost no one remembers her. 

I really hope all four women and Vanessa's son, embrace the program, get healthy, and get a life that will make them healthy and happy.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 5
  • Love 1

A lot of people are one paycheck from homelessness.  Even working full time, living…buying and maintaining a house is expensive.  Rent may be more than a person earns in one month, especially if they make minimum wage.  It’s sad.  So, this show hopefully offers these ladies a chance to make a better life.  Both with the money and the health benefits.  To get free surgery, follow up, nutrition counseling, skin surgery, etc…..plus get paid!  That’s an awesome opportunity and a shame to squander.  I’m glad Tina had insurance, even with a steep deductible. I wonder what happened to cause the leak.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Like 3

I’m not sure if I’m remembering this correctly, but wasn’t there a ceremony for Meghan when she was initially introduced?  Was it a wedding?  I think it was outside. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
23 minutes ago, tvfanatic13 said:

Good god Meghan. Get your own freaking room. Can’t Vanessa put them up? And her son disgustingly put food back in the bowl? Why do I watch this?

I watched this carefully and I'm pretty sure he put it down next to the bowl, thankfully. Still gross, but slightly less so.

• Like 3
  • Useful 2

Meghan was the poster child for weight loss at the very beginning, as I recall.  Because she wore makeup, styled her hair and dressed nicely, she was the prettiest, too, and able to lord it over Vanessa.  I think she really liked that role, of being "better" than Vanessa and their other friends because her weight loss was moving right along, and she was the prettiest.  Her relationship with Dr. Proctor bordered on the flirtatious (on her part).

Then Vanessa began to succeed, after a ghastly, drawn-out period of being unable and unwilling to stick to her diet.  She was poor and ugly; her obesity wasn't firm and cute like Meghan's but loose and floppy and repellent.  Meghan's weight loss stalled (I think partly due to Vanessa's success) and now she's feeling mean and jealous and spiteful.  Since she is no longer Queen Bee, she doesn't get to tell the other ladies what they're doing wrong; she's no longer an example for them to look up to.

I think it's all psychological in Meghan's case.  I think she was so invested in being the best at weight loss and at being pretty that she just can't tolerate anyone else catching up to her and getting all the praise from "Proctor" and their friends.  The only attention she's getting now is worse than negative; people are not giving her much sympathy or concern because they know she's capable of doing so much better.

• Like 2
  • Applause 8
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1

I would love just once to see someone succeed in losing weight without surgery.  

How ridiculous to see 8 people cooped up in a double hotel room.  It's not entertaining and just seems gross.  Damn Meghan is too much to take!

• Like 7
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I’m not sure if I’m remembering this correctly, but wasn’t there a ceremony for Meghan when she was initially introduced?  Was it a wedding?  I think it was outside. 

I swear there was.  It was outside at some gazebo.     I don't know if it was after her second appearance on the show, but it wasn't the first episode of Too Large.    Maybe that was his proposal?   I can't find any reference to it being a marriage.   His name is Jon.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1
3 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Yes!  I can’t recall what it was….hmmm….

Seems like it was a birthday celebration for Meghan and then her boyfriend surprised her by proposing.  Or something like that.  

I initially liked Meghan but now she’s just annoying.  

• Like 5
  • Love 1
16 hours ago, Mothra said:

Then Vanessa began to succeed, after a ghastly, drawn-out period of being unable and unwilling to stick to her diet.  She was poor and ugly; her obesity wasn't firm and cute like Meghan's but loose and floppy and repellent.  Meghan's weight loss stalled (I think partly due to Vanessa's success) and now she's feeling mean and jealous and spiteful.  Since she is no longer Queen Bee, she doesn't get to tell the other ladies what they're doing wrong; she's no longer an example for them to look up to.

I think you nailed it @Mothra.  The anger towards Dr. Proctor is increased because I believe he used to point to her as a great success, and then he told her she was in last place.  That probably needs unpacking with a therapist, not sure she's doing it.  

Didn't Vanessa say something about one of Meghan's triggers being when someone praises or compliments Vanessa?

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

I don’t like Meghan’s behavior one bit, but I do understand why she has a negative feeling about returning to Dr. Proctor.  When a doctor exerts negativity about your progress, it must be hurtful.  She interprets it as she is a failure, not good enough, a disappointment.  I mean, who wouldn’t?  The way the show is set up, it’s difficult to know how much was contrived by the show.  I actually think Dr. Proctor should  have worded things a little differently, other than saying she was the least successful.  Put downs generally don’t inspire, they mortify the patient and they stay away.  I recognize this phenomenon due to my condition as a Type 1 diabetic.  We regularly see our Endocrinologist to review our health and blood sugar levels.   Sometimes, you’re doing good, other times not so good.  No matter how hard we try, results vary.  Judgment and negativity would not be helpful.  My doctor is always helpful, positive and encouraging.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Like 1

Dr. Proctor tells it like it is, just as Dr. Now does.    He's a bariatric doctor, and ignoring someone who is backsliding, isn't doing the patient any favors.   I know it crushed Meghan to hear the truth, but if she keeps going the way she is she'll undo her surgery, and hurt her health again.      Meghan seems to think after she had surgery that the weight would melt off, and she could stop following the program.   The surgery was a tool not magic.    Meghan should be mad at herself, not Dr. Proctor.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
On 1/6/2023 at 12:50 PM, tvfanatic13 said:

Good god Meghan. Get your own freaking room. Can’t Vanessa put them up? And her son disgustingly put food back in the bowl? Why do I watch this?

I thought he was going to but I’m pretty sure he put it on the counter next to the bowl. Still gross, just not as gross. 

On 1/6/2023 at 1:13 PM, monagatuna said:

I watched this carefully and I'm pretty sure he put it down next to the bowl, thankfully. Still gross, but slightly less so.

Just saw this. Great minds!

• Like 5
10 hours ago, DanaMB said:

I thought he was going to but I’m pretty sure he put it on the counter next to the bowl. Still gross, just not as gross. 

Maybe he could walk the two steps to the trash can?  Kid could use the exercise.

• Like 1
  • LOL 2