Type keyword(s) to search

Weight Loss Support Group!

• Start Topic

Hi guys, all this stuff fascinates me, particularly when it comes to exercise.  However, I've never really had much of a struggle with my weight except for gaining fifteen pounds at one point that I thought I'd be stuck with forever and it was only when I just decided "Eh, so now I'm bigger.  I'm also older and thems the breaks" and carried on, simply because I wasn't facing any kind of health issue, just a vanity one.  Then the weight just suddenly dropped off a few years ago and hasn't returned.  

However, when I tried to lose it, when I was doing things like working out 2+ hours a day and really risking hurting myself,  love nor money would not have persuaded my body to lose a single ounce.  That's why I just had to come to the "fine, bigger now" decision.  

But I'm not just chiming in here to talk about stuff that is solely down to my genetic makeup and please forgive me for barging in: 

Now, I'm no doctor or expert, but I think I understand what your problem may be, particularly the "I was working out 2+ hours a day" thing.   You need to make sure you are doing weight training, not just cardio and not wee little weights either, muscle building weights where it actually becomes a bit difficult to lift for the last two reps of any set (and that can still be light, it's just that 3 pound weights likely won't cause the microscopic tears that actually allow muscle to build) .  If you try a five to ten minute warmup, then lift, then do some cardio you may see results.  It's only recently that trainers have started recommending weight training prior to cardio. 

Also, as with any of this, I may be wrong, but if you aren't losing weight from what you are describing, you may wish to change what you are doing, because it's not suited to your particular makeup and I'm not really telling you that, I think  your body is   So maybe consider some weight training and scale back on your working out to 3-4 times a week. Try just walking for 20 - 30 minutes on the days you aren't working out, if sitting still is going to drive you nuts, but don't break a sweat.  Whereas a lot of articles try to say that weight loss and fitness are simple formulas about calories in and calories out, it's just usually not that simple, in my experience and from what I've read from other folks.  

Your body may be conserving fat stores because it has registered "Wow, okay, lots of exertion here.  Going to need those fat stores to make it through."  we are pretty complex systems when you get right down to it and bodies can do some funky-dunky things.  To lose more the answer isn't always EXERCISE, it is sometimes "do something differently"  ....cardio helps people burn fat while in motion, but what allows you to burn more calories when you are not in motion is muscle mass, so building muscle is as important to weight loss -- for most people, again, this is all generalized and it's not like I have degrees in this stuff -- as anything else.  

But maybe try that.  Workout 3-4 times a week for a couple of weeks.  Make sure you are getting plenty of protein (and I also don't eat meat other than fish, so make an effort to seek out protein because protein is what feeds muscle growth...tofu, black beans and corn also build a complete protein, quinoa is a protein rich grain) .  Try making one of those workouts solely weight training, because I think -- and again, I'm just guess here -- that it's all that cardio that is actually causing the problem rather than solving it.   Your body is on "We need this mass to survive, look how much we're doing, gang!  Fat cells, how you holding up?  Good.  Keep at it.  God knows what we'll be expected to do next! We are at Defcon 2 folks!"  alert and you need to figure out how to take it to Defcon 5 so that you aren't storing for the winter that your body is anticipating, essentially.  

Again, sorry to barge in and I'll show myself out again :-)  But it's so hard for people when they are doing every recommended thing and not getting the result they want, so I thought I'd chime in.  When you aren't the answer isn't "More and more extreme!" it's sometimes "aha, okay, so then what do I need to do differently because if this isn't working, there's a highly personalized reason"....and you kind of have to solve the mystery that is you.  

And I promise, that's all from me in here :-)  Good luck everyone! 

stillshimpy, thank you for your advice.  That's actually pretty similar to advice I got from a nutritionist and an exercise physiologist about a year and a half ago (when I was at the same weight I am now).  The exercise physiologist suggested that I exercise only 5 days a week for 1 hour each session, and 3 of those days, spend 20 minutes doing weights (3 sets of 10-15 reps at a weight where the last set was hard to do).  I did that for about six months (~250 lbs lower body, ~40-60 lbs upper body), and what happened was my muscles (especially my biceps) got enlarged to the point where I felt unattractive.  I was hoping to get lean, defined muscles, but I guess my tendency is to bulk up, which I hate.  And my weight basically stayed the exact same throughout.   So, I quit weight training about a year ago, and my muscles have been slowly shrinking back to normal. 

I don't like being at my current weight, but as of yet, it hasn't negatively impacted my health (I'm not diabetic; my cholesterol has kept steady at a healthy 150; I don't have high blood pressure; my TSH is normal; I don't suffer from chronic pain or impaired mobility).  I come from a family where almost everyone has a large build and is overweight (and many, including cousins my age, are morbidly obese), yet there's not a family history of early death, cardiovascular disease, hypertension, or diabetes (except for my 87-year-old grandmother, who developed it due to poor dietary control in her 70s).  I just feel like being at this weight into my 30s-40s, and being under high stress that comes with my chosen profession, is going to spell bad things in the long run.  (Also, as part of my profession, I will have to counsel people about their weight and healthy lifestyles, and I feel like people won't take me seriously when I give that advice based on how I look.)

You know, genetics really dictate a lot and really all this stuff is about health and feeling well.  I'd love to have the butt of a twenty-two year old stripper, but basically only reincarnation or a time machine is likely to make that happen, so I hear you, but the only thing I'd say to the bulk issue is: 

I did that for about six months (~250 lbs lower body, ~40-60 lbs upper body), and what happened was my muscles (especially my biceps) got enlarged to the point where I felt unattractive.  I was hoping to get lean, defined muscles, but I guess my tendency is to bulk up, which I hate.

That's fair and anything that makes you have less self-esteem from this process is not a good bet, because again....overall wellness is a good goal and that's part of wellness.  Having said that, perhaps you could try core and lean lower body exercises instead, which uses your body weight?  Our biggest muscle groups are actually the quads, glutes, core...etc.   So you can weight train without curls, or chest presses, or any of the other things that add bulk.  

Just a thought on that, but if it was specifically your biceps that you didn't like having, there's a way around that,  don't train them specifically.  There's a lot of lunges I do that involve simply holding weights, but if you fear bulk then perhaps try body weight exercises on the core and lower half.  The coolest thing about all of this?  There are so many answers and so many combos.  Yoga might be your best bet, or something that lengthens and strengthens muscles. :-) 

• Love 1

You know, genetics really dictate a lot and really all this stuff is about health and feeling well. I'd love to have the butt of a twenty-two year old stripper, but basically only reincarnation or a time machine is likely to make that happen.

Everybody's different, and what works for each of us changes as we age. Bottom line: Weight loss takes a whole lot of trial & error to find what works for you.

• Love 3

You know, genetics really dictate a lot and really all this stuff is about health and feeling well.  I'd love to have the butt of a twenty-two year old stripper, but basically only reincarnation or a time machine is likely to make that happen, so I hear you, but the only thing I'd say to the bulk issue is: 

That's fair and anything that makes you have less self-esteem from this process is not a good bet, because again....overall wellness is a good goal and that's part of wellness.  Having said that, perhaps you could try core and lean lower body exercises instead, which uses your body weight?  Our biggest muscle groups are actually the quads, glutes, core...etc.   So you can weight train without curls, or chest presses, or any of the other things that add bulk.  

Just a thought on that, but if it was specifically your biceps that you didn't like having, there's a way around that,  don't train them specifically.  There's a lot of lunges I do that involve simply holding weights, but if you fear bulk then perhaps try body weight exercises on the core and lower half.  The coolest thing about all of this?  There are so many answers and so many combos.  Yoga might be your best bet, or something that lengthens and strengthens muscles. :-) 

Thank you again, stillshimpy.  Back when I was on Weight Watchers in college, I was doing yoga using the Namaste 30-minute TV series most days (in addition to moderate exercise - 30 minutes of brisk treadmill walking most days), and I found it went at a good pace and was enjoyable (whereas I've tried but haven't enjoyed group fitness classes, yoga or otherwise, since I prefer to work out solo).   I have some Namaste videos saved on my home computer, so I think I'll try to do those a few times a week and see if that helps.

• Love 2

Fabricationary, I've been in the same boat(s) as you in many cases.   I also come from a family with "big builds" but no serious health issues except high blood pressure.  My dad was was always close to 400 pounds and had hypertension, and he keeled over at 84 -- not the worst thing in the world.  I'm not sure I even want to get to 84. My older sister has always been the twig of the family, and she has terrible hypertension, so it's not a weight-related thing.

Despite having a bad attitude (as illustrated in the previous paragraph), I've been fighting weight all my life and losing -- the battle, not weight -- most of the time.  And when I do lose, I always gain back more.  I've seen doctors and other health professionals who've ranged from supportive to bullying to completely disinterested.  

Anyway, stillshimpy is right, IMO -- everyone's different, and different things work for different people.   Right now I'm in an exercise program my local hospital's bariatric program runs; you don't have to be in the bariatric program per se, just need a referral.  Anyway, it's supposed to be more supportive and less judgmental/intimidating than a regular gym. I hate every minute of it, but have vowed to stick with it for three months, and maybe if I notice any results, I'll start to like it.  Previous to this I've done the Y, working out with a friend/friends, going on my own, working on my own at and around home -- everything but a gym membership (and maybe it's just the one in my town, but the Y is damn expensive!).  

So to make a short story long  -- if yoga at home has worked for you, by all means start it back up. If you have a Roku or something like it (Amazon Fire, Apple TV etc.), there a lot of fitness channels available, many of them free, and many of which offer yoga at various levels -- if you're looking for variety at some point.   

Weight loss and/or getting healthy is not easy -- well, not for everyone, anyway -- but you are soooo not alone.  

Edited because how many times can you use "anyway" in a post?  If there isn't a law about it, there oughta be. 

Edited by harrie
  • Love 5

My exercise consists of taking two Zumba classes a week and walking at least a mile twice a week (although it's raining today so I'm sitting it out).

Since starting on the Nutrisystem at the beginning of the month, I've lost 7 pounds even.  Though I seem to have plateaued the last couple of days.

Plus my blood glucose level has plummeted a couple of times recently.

• Love 1

Everybody's different, and what works for each of us changes as we age. Bottom line: Weight loss takes a whole lot of trial & error to find what works for you.

That's the truth!  When friends said that they were eating less and exercising and it wasn't working for them, I couldn't help but wonder why since it's what I did.  Then, when my mom came to visit and was on Weight Watchers (that's worked well for her and my dad over the years), my mind was blown at the fact that it was less about calories and more about carbs and other things.  I'd look at a serving of ice cream at the end of the day and say "Nope--too many calories" and she'd look at her points and say "I can have two servings!".  It just didn't compute for me.

And no, it is not easy.  I'll never forget watching an interview with Sylvester Stallone after he did the movie Cop Land.  He had to gain a significant amount of weight for it and had a big eye opener when it came to losing it again--even with his money and training, he couldn't believe how hard it was.  He apologized for every ignorant thing he'd said about people who couldn't lose weight before that experience.  No matter what idiotic things he may or may not have said in the years since then, I'll never forget that moment.

Funny that weight training was mentioned.  I just emailed a friend of mine who is a physical therapist to ask if it was really that important, that I only did it once a week anyway.  Her response was a resounding "Yes!". 

(and that can still be light, it's just that 3 pound weights likely won't cause the microscopic tears that actually allow muscle to build)

My shoulder muscles are so weak, I have to use the 2.5 pound weights and by the end of the song, I'm doing one arm at a time!  It's a bit embarrassing and a lot frustrating. 

• Love 2

Funny that weight training was mentioned.  I just emailed a friend of mine who is a physical therapist to ask if it was really that important, that I only did it once a week anyway.  Her response was a resounding "Yes!". 

(and that can still be light, it's just that 3 pound weights likely won't cause the microscopic tears that actually allow muscle to build)

My shoulder muscles are so weak, I have to use the 2.5 pound weights and by the end of the song, I'm doing one arm at a time!  It's a bit embarrassing and a lot frustrating. 

Weight training isn't just lifting weights—it includes weight-bearing exercise (like yoga, tai chi, even walking—not biking or swimming). According to the National Osteoporosis Foundation, weight-bearing and muscle-strengthening exercises are important for building and maintaining bone density.

• Love 1

My shoulder muscles are so weak, I have to use the 2.5 pound weights and by the end of the song, I'm doing one arm at a time! It's a bit embarrassing and a lot frustrating.

No, that's actually good! It's called "working to fatigue" and that is precisely what builds muscle, Shannon :-)

There are a bunch of ways to do weight training (which is muscle building) though and if one method doesn't work for you, there are lots of others. Resistance bands are another alternative that are really good for building without bulk.

Anyway (tm harrie ), it's a really good avenue to explore for weight loss and there are so many ways to get it done. Fabricationary, if you don't like going to a class, try some of the online options. There are some instructional beginner videos out there for yoga. Here's the site I use several times a week and I'm linking your directly to their beginner yoga stuff, Melissa McLeod is a really good person to start with for them under the instructors.

And if that's a bit too much?  Search Yoga for seniors, seriously.  I got several friends -- who aren't seniors -- started that way, because those videos tend to be very carefully paced and it's okay to need to slowly and carefully learn basics.   Absolutely everyone does, except for the rare few who tumbled down from Mount Olympus and joined the rest of us mere mortals, but everyone I know?  Had a learning curve on all of it.  

I clearly love all this stuff, but I don't love all forms of exercise, luckily there's a gajillion different methods and approaches (roughly speaking). 

• Love 3

According to the National Osteoporosis Foundation, weight-bearing and muscle-strengthening exercises are important for building and maintaining bone density.

Exactly - and you want good bone density.  I don't know that my mom was ever diagnosed with osteoporosis, but she broke her collarbone turning over in her sleep and stuff like that.  She broke a lot of bones in her later years, and she must have been miserable a good part of the time.  If I get biceps and stuff, that is fine, but I'm pretty zealous about weight training for that reason. 

stillshimpy, I am going to check out your yoga link.  I used to google "yoga for fat people" and got good results - I never thought of going the more dignified-sounding route for probably a lot of the same info and techniques.  Noted for future reference!

• Love 2

To add to the yoga links, the Namaste series has a website with a full-length video sample:  http://www.namaste.tv/pages/share .  There are also DVDs available, but they're pricey (I managed to surf the interwebs and find some other videos that way).   When I was back in college, I did the majority of the first and second series as they were being aired on TV.  Only a few of the sequences had moves that were too challenging for me (I can still never get crane pose!).  I have always been hyper-flexible, so that's good for yoga!

There's actually a lot I like about Namaste - some of the sequences are filmed outdoors in really gorgeous backgrounds, the narrator (Kate Potter) has a very soothing voice, there are a variety of floor and standing sequences, and the stretching and shavasana at the end (repeated during every episode) is really relaxing. 

• Love 2

Weight training isn't just lifting weights—it includes weight-bearing exercise (like yoga, tai chi, even walking—not biking or swimming). According to the National Osteoporosis Foundation, weight-bearing and muscle-strengthening exercises are important for building and maintaining bone density.

Good point.  I tried yoga a few times with the same instructor and wasn't liking it.  Then, we had a sub one week and he did something different-the first half was very tiring, with a lot of emphasis on the upper body.  Lots of fluid movement from one position to the next (only holding each position for a couple of seconds).  My muscles were aching and I was working up a sweat.  I forget what a friend of mine said it was called (Venyasa?).  Maybe I'll see if that instructor has regular classes somewhere.

• Love 3

Shannon L., it's Vinyasa aka Vinyasa Flow.

I tried yoga one time, and there was just way too much downward head activity. I was getting highly dizzy, and had to quit.

Every yoga teacher is different, and there are lots of different styles. And as someone said above, there's a learning curve.

Yoga should be done at your own pace, and a good teacher should suggest modifications. There's no shame in "treading water" whenever necessary—going into child's pose, seeing what your fellow students are doing, or doing whatever your body needs in that moment. Listen to your body!

(That being said, one pilates or spinning class was enough for me!)

• Love 2

An 11-day trip to the Southwest = 4.3 pound weight gain. So now I am 9.7 pounds above my goal weight. ::sigh::

The good news is that I can shed 4 pounds pretty quickly. But my body seems to settle in 6 pounds above where my brain and my clothing want it to be.

• Love 1

Bella I had a very feel sorry for myself the other day. This consisted of fast food, cookie dough and alcohol. I, in self loathing, stepped on the scale the next day and had gained five, yes five in one day. So hats off to 4.3 for 11 days.

That day after beating myself up and feeling bad I ate my normal allotment and did exercise 2 hours. I lost 3. Goes to show how easy we go up and down.

i understand about that six pounds. My body was fighting me so bad to hit 159. I started at 174 and did pretty well til 162 I eventually went just really serious and didn't eat a whole lot. My 1200 wasn't getting me there. It worked. I thought it would hate being there but now it is 154. So I made it. i still have some to go, but man it takes levels it didn't take when I was 22. If only I had known. You'll get there though, just keep it up.

Edited by KnoxForPres
  • Love 2

Okay, I hit my goal of ten pounds off.  That makes me 10 pounds under the weight that brings me self loathing but 12 pounds over my skinniest-as-an-adult weight.  I'm going to keep doing what I'm doing for now but would be interested in some insight about what I'm supposed to do when I'm ready to maintain rather than lose.  I've never figured out how to just stay put at a weight my head is happy with especially if my stomach has a different opinion.

• Love 4

Just like weight loss, maintenance takes a whole lot of trial & error to find what works for you. Your weight will fluctuate, so rather than a goal weight choose a range. For example, +/- 3 lbs.

When you began eating at a deficit, you lost a lot of weight all at once. That was mostly water & glycogen, and you'll gain it back when you stop eating at a deficit. Don't panic!

I lost weight by logging everything I eat & drink in http://www.myfitnesspal.com. When I entered maintenance this summer, I gradually increased my calorie goal every week until my weight eventually stabilized. From the beginning, I approached weight-loss as a lifestyle change rather than a diet. I ate "good" 80% of the time, and fit yummy, portion-controlled treats into my calorie goal.

So in maintenance I do everything I did whilst losing—I just eat more.

• Love 5

You know, I am very confused by everyone's seeming determination to "diet"and log exercise and food consumption and calories. I gained an enormous amount of weight about 10 years ago and kept at that level for all those years because I had stressors I couldn't control and food was my solace. Once some of my stress was reduced, I started a change in my style of eating that didn't require diaries or weighing or anything that reminded me I needed to "lose weight."

The result so far is a fifty pound loss while still being able to eat out occasionally and not making my whole life about my food intake. But not one single person gave me the "thumbs up" in this thread which is bizarre to me. Anyway, it took many months but I continue to lose without making my food intake the highest priority in my life. I only point this out in case someone else is of the same mindset because I would be happy to share.

• Love 7

I "liked" your post.

To lose weight, you have to eat fewer calories than you burn. There are many ways to do that—one of which is logging. Logging worked for me because it makes me mindful and helps me make better food choices. But it's not the only way.

Everybody's different, and weight loss takes a whole lot of trial & error to find what works for you. Congratulations on finding what works for you!

• Love 3

Everybody's different, and weight loss takes a whole lot of trial & error to find what works for you

This is true.  I never overate because of stress.  I lose my appetite when stressed.  I gained weight mostly because as I got older my metabolism slowed down, and I couldn't keep eating the same amount of junk I used to.  Also, habit was a big factor.  I got in the habit of having unhealthy snacks after work.  I wasn't even hungry, and the snacks weren't all that great, but it was a habit.   Another factor was portion sizes kept going up.  Chicken pieces, pork chops, slices of bread, cans of soda, kept going up in size, and of course being human, I just tended to consume the whole thing, rather than just stopping when I was full.   Now I measure the portion of chcken, try to buy smaller hamburger buns, and have elminated sodas entirely.  

• Love 4

Different things work for different people, that's all there is to it. I tend to forget what I've eaten and how much I've eaten unless I keep track of my food/calorie intake on a daily basis. But that doesn't mean my whole life is consumed by my food intake.

Edited by emma675d
  • Love 7

My main issue is clothing fit and the fact that I feel healthier when I'm a few pounds lighter. That's it. Recording my intake is a factor in my not snacking, my Achilles heel.

• Love 3

For years, every Sunday night I vowed to eat better the coming week. What happens when I "eat better" is I maintain at best, gain at worst. And it's not because I didn't really mean it when I had the thought, it's because I suck at self discipline and food. I can rationalize anything.

So when I track calories, it makes me feel in control. I know when I've hit my limit. It keeps me in check and that's the only way that works for me. I need the black and white of it.

I envy anyone who has the discipline to make better choices and succeed. When I attempt to do that, and I'm serious, the result is me eating a Totinos pizza and thinking "better tomorrow then".

• Love 9

I envy anyone who has the discipline to make better choices and succeed. When I attempt to do that, and I'm serious, the result is me eating a Totinos pizza and thinking "better tomorrow then".

Exactly.  When someone says "I just cut out carbs and sugar" or whatever, I'm like how do you do that?  I mean, I know how you do that, but I refuse to eat salad with chicken breast  or steamed fish and vegetables every day.  Staying on that track would make me more nuts than counting what I'm taking in, so I'm calorie/activity tracking until I feel like I can accurately eyeball things like I did once upon a time. The accounting part takes about 10-15 minutes out of my day. 

It's been said several times, but it always comes down to different strokes and all that. 

Someone mentioned that they use Spark People, and I'm using it, too.  It may essentially be the same as My Fitness Pal, but to me it just feels less pressure-inducing, and if I miss a day of tracking I don't feel like anyone will be hunting me down or anything.  Just my perception, correct or not.  

• Love 4

KnoxForPres and harrie, I agree with what you're saying about wondering how people can just stop eating certain things, or start making better choices.  I couldn't eat a salad every day either!  But, make no mistake about it, counting calories (which is what I did), also takes a lot of discipline.  You still need to be conscientious of portions size, too.  Remembering to read labels, chart calories, measure portions--that takes some getting used to!

• Love 4

Oh, cosign a million times it takes discipline to count calories . It's like anything -you have to do it. Exercise too. Getting my ass up to do it is the hardest part. Once I am it's like, oh yeah, my self esteem and overall feeling of self sure is better. Tell that to my evil twin when I'm in a downward spiral.

I'm just a candidate for "losing weight for dummies". I like to see numbers that make sense. As you guys said, for me if I'm like "today I will cut out all white flour and sugar" I panic a bit. Even just "today I will abide by portion control". I'm laughing all the way to the refrigerator. I can't do it.

Why I can log food and succeed, I don't know. . Maybe it has to do with instead of feeling like work, it feels easy? Yet I so see the converse being true. We all have our struggles in life.

Upside being we all handle certain things well too. So we have our battles and then excel in other aspects. I will say, for inspirational purposes, this time I forced myself to keep on keeping on. I didn't lose 5 and revert. I've stayed the course. If you let yourself get to that place where you feel so much better (this is broad. My sis and I both have a number and they are 80 lbs apart), but I finally let myself get there and regret not doing it sooner. Motivation kicks in.

• Love 6

I'm kind of bummed at Subway sandwich stops.  During the month of October, their 6 inch ham sub was on special for 3 bucks and it was a great go-to when I needed something low-cal on the run.  This month their special is a sandwich with chips and a drink for $6.  Even if you choose water and baked chips, it's just not something I would buy.  Why would a place that emphasizes healthy options encourage you to have potato chips and soda to round out your meal?

• Love 1

I'm kind of bummed at Subway sandwich stops.  During the month of October, their 6 inch ham sub was on special for 3 bucks and it was a great go-to when I needed something low-cal on the run.  This month their special is a sandwich with chips and a drink for $6.  Even if you choose water and baked chips, it's just not something I would buy.  Why would a place that emphasizes healthy options encourage you to have potato chips and soda to round out your meal?

Having spent some time in the food industry - though it was a very long time ago - I always wonder why things are on sale or special. There's always a reason. Did the store order too much, are they using a low price to lure in shoppers who might buy something else, or did they get a deal from the distributor or wholesaler? 

In this case, since much of Subway's advertising is oriented to healthy choices, I suspect they were offered a deal. The deal could be a low price on chips, a cross-promotion (Subway has Coke! and You can get Coke at Subway!), or something like that.

It could also be that the company's advertising department has consumer segmentation information that indicates that certain segments need advertising at particular intervals. They've got the "healthy" eaters thinking of Subway. Like you, DH and I stopped there while on a road trip because we needed food as fuel and knew that Subway offered reasonable options. So who else do they need to reach? Kids who don't care? Teenagers on break at lunch? People who love chips and soda?

Who knows? All I can say with certainty - great certainty, however - is that this is being done for a reason.

• Love 2

This reminds me of: http://www.theonion.com/video/horrified-subway-execs-assumed-people-were-buying,36800/

I presume the sugary sodas and chips at Subway are to appeal more to the mass consumer who's satisfied that he or she is eating healthily by choosing Subway, and therefore doesn't mind adding some less healthy foods to their order (or just the people who are conditioned to the fast food way of dining, where there's always one or more extra components to the meal - burger and fries, burger and milkshake, sandwich and chips, etc.).

• Love 2

Love The Onion news clip, Fabricationary!

To be fair to Subway, they offer baked chips in their chip selection and water in their soda cases -- plus you can get fizzy water without the soda syrup at most soda filling stations.  That being said, I agree that they change up the monthly specials to appeal to different demographics.  However -- if Subway made a point of offering a 6-inch sandwich with a different filling each month for $3 and calling it "this month's healthy option" or something, it would probably do very well.   

• Love 2

In my area they typically have one foot long variety on sale for $5.  That's a good option when I want to share, especially since they never seem to mind making each half different as far as veggies go, so we can each get exactly what we want.  When I work nights I love bringing a full one to work, since my shifts are long enough I have a half for lunch and the rest for dinner.

I work at a food place, and the wholesale cost of soda and syrup is ridiculously cheap compared to how much we make by  selling them.  So we're constantly encouraged to upsell drinks.

Edited by sunshinelover

I started a change in my style of eating that didn't require diaries or weighing or anything that reminded me I needed to "lose weight."

<snip>

Anyway, it took many months but I continue to lose without making my food intake the highest priority in my life. I only point this out in case someone else is of the same mindset because I would be happy to share.

This is where I'd like to be, mansonlamps. I know logging works for a lot of people. I've done it myself with great success when I did WW. But I absolutely felt like it was taking over my life. I found myself turning down lunch invitations because I didn't want to have to figure out the points. Eating the same thing every day to make logging simpler. I actually increased my intake of prepared foods because it made finding the nutritional information so much easier, even knowing that prepared foods have so much sodium and preservative.

It wasn't that I couldn't do it. It wasn't that it didn't work. It was quite simply that I didn't want to. Not for any length of time, anyway, and I needed to make changes I could sustain forever.

So I started making small changes that didn't take any additional time. Ordering a salad instead of fries with lunch. Baking instead of frying. Paying for gas at the pump instead of going inside, as convenience stores are my kryptonite.

My weight loss has been small so far, but I feel better in a bunch of other little ways. I'll get there. It will take more time, but I no longer feel like I have a second job. :-)

My point is, everyone has to do what works for them. There's no magic formula, because our bodies and our lifestyles are all unique. I've quit in the past because I was doing everything "right" and seeing no results, but now I realize that I need to follow my own plan.

• Love 9

My weight as of this morning is down 10.2 pounds.  We've stopped the Nutrisystem, we just really disliked the food.  I'm trying to just do portion control now.  I was having some severe low blood sugar problems, and I had to cut back on my diabetes meds, but it seems to be under control now.

• Love 6

As of today I'm at 205.4.   Down about 9 pounds from when I started.  I'm doing really good at keeping track of everything I eat but my weakness is sweets.  People at my work keep bringing in brownies, cookies, candy...and I have no self control!  So that's what I'm really trying to focus on now, cut back the sweets.

• Love 1

I never, ever waste my calories on meh food, so lots of what people being in to work is easy to resist. The yummy stuff? Portion control! I fit a small serving into my calorie goal.

Deprivation can lead to bingeing, so don't deny yourself your absolute favorite treats. You can eat anything in moderation and still lose weight.

• Love 3

Okay, you can call the men in the white coats but I've always had trouble staying away from the candy bowls at work.  Then I discovered that if I took a piece of candy and just didn't eat it, I felt satisfied.  I think I have in the back of my mind this little troll that tells me if I don't take a food I like when it's available, I may never have another chance.  So I drop the candy in a sealed container in my file cabinet and then if I find I have some "leftover" calories, it's there for the eating.  Of course this only works with individually wrapped treats.

For baked goods, I take a bite and then think long and hard about whether it's worth the calories to have another bite.  There IS such a thing as a bad brownie!

At least in theory.  There's no explaining that stale chocolate chip cookie I ate yesterday when I wasn't even hungry.

• Love 3

Okay, you can call the men in the white coats but I've always had trouble staying away from the candy bowls at work. Then I discovered that if I took a piece of candy and just didn't eat it, I felt satisfied. I think I have in the back of my mind this little troll that tells me if I don't take a food I like when it's available, I may never have another chance. So I drop the candy in a sealed container in my file cabinet and then if I find I have some "leftover" calories, it's there for the eating. Of course this only works with individually wrapped treats.

Make room in the wagon—I do that, too! Our office candy is Dove Promises. They're 42 calories, and for me a small piece of good chocolate is way more satisfying than a so-so baked good.

When there's an especially yummy flavor (right now it's peppermint bark), I'll take one even if I'm not hungry, then squirrel it away for later. When it's my turn to contribute, I buy a flavor I don't like!

• Love 1

Same here! I took Wednesday through Saturday "off" and got back in the pool yesterday. I'm actually glad Thanksgiving is over and I can get back into my healthy food routine and exercising (not that anyone held a gun to my head and forced me to stop it for a few days, though, I was just lazy!). I'm ready to ditch the post-Thanksgiving belly bloat I've got going on.

• Love 2

I ate a lot of my normal meals throughout the 4 day weekend, so obviously, I was able to keep my calorie counting where that food was concerned.  Everything else, from the loads of baked goods my daughter made, to Thanksgiving dinner, I kept my portions small.  I ended up maintaining my weight and I'm not sure how I managed that--how do you even come close to guessing the number of calories in a moderate sized slice cinnamon bunt cake that has tons of butter and cream cheese in it? And believe me, I had a little bit of everything she made.

• Love 1

Can I take a minute to whine a bit? I've lost 31 pounds now over the course of several months and for some reason people I work with have just now noticed that I'm smaller (I'm not sure what's changed this week other than I put a bunch of pants in the dryer to shrink them since I don't want to buy new clothes yet, lol). This would be fine except that every single person who has said something to me wants to know my "magic secret" and gets annoyed when I tell them the truth--I'm eating less and working out more. I had one lady actually ask me "well, what exactly are you eating? it has to be diet food, eating real food won't cause you to lose weight like that."

I wish there was a magic pill! It sure would be a heckuva lot easier than all of the hard work I've put into this.

• Love 6

I've lost over 10 pounds now and so far, one person has said anything.  I think people are afraid to acknowledge weight loss because it may be due to something sad like illness rather than conscious hard work.  You never know-- just like you shouldn't assume another's pregnancy until the water breaks on your shoes.

And speaking of shoes, I'm finding I have to wear heels more often now because pants that used to be snug at the waist now hover on my hips.

• Love 3

I

've lost 31 pounds now over the course of several months and for some reason people I work with have just now noticed that I'm smaller (I'm not sure what's changed this week other than I put a bunch of pants in the dryer to shrink them since I don't want to buy new clothes yet, lol). This would be fine except that every single person who has said something to me wants to know my "magic secret" and gets annoyed when I tell them the truth--I'm eating less and working out more

The same thing happened to me at work when I lost 35 pounds three years ago.  I lost weight slowly but steadily, and at one point all of a sudden everyone noticed and wanted to know my secret.  Sometimes  would pull out my iPod and show the the exercise app I use (Nike Fitness Club).  When I showed them the exercises they didn't like it, said it looked too hard, would hurt their knees or their back.  I also told them I was logging my food intake, but they said they tried that, but it was too much trouble.  

• Love 3

I agree that many people are uncomfortable commenting on others' appearance. (While others have no filter whatsoever!)

And I hate, hate, hate when people ask my "secret" to weight loss. Losing weight is simple, but it ain't easy. Eat fewer calories than you burn. Or burn more calories than you eat—no matter how you want to look at it, it's really that simple.

• Love 3

I'm another one who gets surprised looks and comments when I said my weight loss was to eat less and exercise.  I had one guy tell me that he'd lost weight by cutting out sugar.  When he asked what I did I said that I ate less and exercised and his response was "Really.  And that worked for you?"  *sigh*

The only people in my life who didn't mention my weight gain until I had lost a lot were the people who saw me regularly (although, emma675, your coworkers must be afraid to say something because 30lbs is a lot) .  The process was so slow that they were getting used to the new me as it happened and didn't just see me one day many pounds lighter than the last time they saw me.

I don't get annoyed if the weight loss isn't mention (well, I take that back-it depends on who doesn't mention it), nor do I get annoyed when people get shocked when I say how I did it.  What annoys me is when they ask for advice and when I tell them, they start in on a ton of excuses about why they can't do it.  At that point I say "well then, you aren't ready to lose because this only works when you're ready to commit to it".  I get that I'm very lucky that I'm a stay at home mom. I can't begin to imagine how much more exhausting it would have been if I'd had a full time job, but, it can be done and excuses, imo, mean you're not going to manage it at this time.

• Love 5

Very true, Shannon L.  I believe that one can only succeed when the time is right be it quitting smoking, losing weight or some other self-improvement program.  

The sole person who mentioned my weight loss hadn't seen me in quite awhile so it was a sudden development to her.  I just remind myself that thanks to my height, I can also gain quite a few pounds with nobody noticing.  Or at least mentioning it.

• Love 1