Type keyword(s) to search

Weight Loss Support Group!

• Start Topic

(edited)

I’ve heard a parallel theory about sugar.  So if you eat sugar substitutes, you’re body isn’t sated so that drives you to eat more of these foods that don’t satisfy the need.

The recommendation was, in moderation, eat a product with real sugar.

My sil would eat a small piece of good chocolate, so hitting both sugar & fat, each night.  Her husband, my brother, goes the route of no ice cream during the week, but he can have some on weekends.

Edited by DeLurker
Because correct spelling goes to sleep before me.
  • Love 4

Well, today marks 50 pounds, peeps.  In just under 7 months.  The surprising thing is that I have not moved my ass off the couch the entire time - this was all food, not one bit of exercise.   My love for food is about equal to my hatred of exercise, but I figured restricting my intake was the easier path. So I guess Dr. Now is right.  

Actually I did exercise once.  I took a city vacation, walking up to 10 miles a day for a week, but also allowed myself to eat whatever I wanted - desserts, fried food, bread, cheese, candy, potato chips.  Lots of ice cream.  I gained one pound.  And it was totally worth it.  

According to some online calculators I could stand to lose 40-50 more. The Hell?  I am about 10-15 pounds from the healthy weight that I maintained comfortably for many years (being mindful of food and exercise, but not obsessively strict about it) before getting sick a few years ago.   So that's the goal.

I celebrated with Dairy Queen, and added the points to my daily WW tracker, so I've had nothing but chicken and vegetables for the rest of the day.  The DQ wasn't as good as I remembered.

• Love 7
On 8/26/2018 at 6:44 PM, Quof said:

Well, today marks 50 pounds, peeps.  In just under 7 months.  The surprising thing is that I have not moved my ass off the couch the entire time - this was all food, not one bit of exercise.   My love for food is about equal to my hatred of exercise, but I figured restricting my intake was the easier path. So I guess Dr. Now is right.  

Actually I did exercise once.  I took a city vacation, walking up to 10 miles a day for a week, but also allowed myself to eat whatever I wanted - desserts, fried food, bread, cheese, candy, potato chips.  Lots of ice cream.  I gained one pound.  And it was totally worth it.  

According to some online calculators I could stand to lose 40-50 more. The Hell?  I am about 10-15 pounds from the healthy weight that I maintained comfortably for many years (being mindful of food and exercise, but not obsessively strict about it) before getting sick a few years ago.   So that's the goal.

I celebrated with Dairy Queen, and added the points to my daily WW tracker, so I've had nothing but chicken and vegetables for the rest of the day.  The DQ wasn't as good as I remembered.

CONGRATULATIONS!  That's a huge accomplishment.  I'm working on getting my body in motion too.  I stay active, but, I need full on, cardio.

After a week of staying on focus, I decided that I would treat myself with a couple of Lemon glazed Krispy Kreme donuts. They are only available one time a year and that was through Sept. 2.  But, I wasn't planning on being in town and so Friday was my last day to get one.  So, as I drove through the drive-thru, I was a little hesitant, but, thought as a treat, it would be okay.  But, the lady said, "Sorry, we are out and won't be getting more today."  lol  I laughed out loud.  I said, okay, God, I got the message.  I was able to back out of the drive thru! lol I didn't even want another flavor.  So, until next year.  

• Love 2

What's your favorite breakfast go to's?

I'm been a WW member for 10 years. But I still get stuck in a breakfast rut. I eat oatmeal topped with Fage fat free plain yogurt and fruit everyday. 

The only way I shake it up is by using steel cut oats vs what old fashion or Trader Joe's muti grain hot cereal.

Your breakfast?

Edited by stormy
  • Love 2

I think there's nothing wrong with being in a breakfast rut. For me, the vast majority of mornings is fruit and coffee (with half and half.) 

And that rut works for me, because in Weight Watchers terms, I know I've started the day with 3 points. Knowing that I'm hitting lunch time with the same base already set down then lets me play with how much I distribute to the rest of the day.  And there is way more desire from me to mix up the lunches and dinners than breakfasts.  

If I start messing around with breakfasts, adding in oatmeal or yogurt or cereal, then I need to remember to wipe out a whole bunch of what I normally eat later in the day.  So the rut works for me, simply so that I don't have to think about anything later in the day.

• Love 1

I have a couple breakfasts I rotate:

1 - Eggs and 0 smart point turkey sausage.  I can make this to be 0-3 points, depending on if I put reduced-fat cheese in my scrambled eggs

2 - Overnight oats (I use the Chocolate Peanut Butter and Banana recipe from WW).

3 - On days that I need to grab something and go, it's a Clif Bar.  They are 9 points, so I need to work it into my day, but it does keep me full.

• Love 2

I haven't checked in for a while because I haven't been doing good for a while. But I recently finished this book and I highly recommend for anyone still struggling. Even if you don't want to embrace a larger body type, I think it would help you come better accept where you are at every stage of your journey. 

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13594976-hot-heavy?from_search=true

Also, I'm on vacation but I've managed to get 2 workouts in when I could find a gym in the hotel. One 30-minute, and one 1 hour. So I'm currently feeling good about that. I mostly manage with weights and body weight and when I'm not concerned about sightseeing, I'll add cardio back in. I feel like I'm finally settling into a routine that feels manageable regardless of what equipment/machines are around. An exercise ball, treadmill, etc. are bonuses but if I have 5-12 pound weights and a floor that isn't too hard to lie on, I can manage. 

Aradia22, bravo for working out on vacation.  That's awesome. It does make you feel good though.  

I have the same thing almost every day for my brunch.  I combine breakfast and lunch as one meal, and so far, I'm not tired of it. We'll see how it goes. I like the same thing, because, I have Type I diabetes and so I can eat the same and take the same amount of insulin and hopefully, my blood sugar will behave and be consistently the same each time. 

I have have one egg, either boiled or fried in olive oil and one piece of toast OR

One medium banana. The banana is normally when I'm short on time, but, if not, I might add an egg to it.  

Sometimes, I might have a cup of unsweetened Almond milk too.  It holds me well and then I have a small snack in the afternoon of a protein and small carb. 

On the weekends, I might switch it up and have two scrambled eggs with a piece of whole wheat toast. No butter, just olive oil. 

My dinner is lean protein, small serving whole grain and at least 2  veggies. I'm heavy on the veggies.  It holds me well, but, I'm still prone to snack at night. I'm not sure how I will ever conquer that.  It's always been my weakness. I'm not hungry, but, snack from habit, craving, etc.  Just a hard thing to eliminate for me.  I have healthy snacks, but, too many. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 1

I have to eat breakfast because I work out six days a week and on Sundays I ride my bike but just for fun.

I'm going to add eggs and vegetables to my breakfast and try that with oatmeal. Use my Fage with fruit for dessert. I have to have dessert after dinner or I'm not happy. ?

• Love 1

My mom has started trying to eat better over the last few days. I'm very supportive, as she tends to really be a poor eater.  She eats things that are not very helpful for her condition. (Fried foods, especially.) So, I was thrilled she prepared this meal for me.  She made this chili from ground turkey breast, black beans, salsa, and brown rice.  It's really good.  I had it for dinner last night, with sides of mixed veggies and it was very filling and tasty.  I'm going to make it myself for next week. 

• Love 1
10 hours ago, forumfish said:

*Because I love dark chocolate and it is beneficial in small amounts, I bought a 7-day pill box at Dollar Tree yesterday. It's large enough so one square of a good-quality bar will fit in each day's little cubby. I plan to use it to help me with portion control.

I love that idea!

• Love 2
On 9/6/2018 at 7:04 AM, stormy said:

What's your favorite breakfast go to's?

I'm been a WW member for 10 years. But I still get stuck in a breakfast rut. I eat oatmeal topped with Fage fat free plain yogurt and fruit everyday. 

The only way I shake it up is by using steel cut oats vs what old fashion or Trader Joe's muti grain hot cereal.

Your breakfast?

I am doing WW as well.  I don't know if your TJ's has these but I buy their Vegan Bran Blueberry muffins.  The entire muffin has something like 12 grams of fiber and are really good.  I use the WW program from 1999 and they are 3 points with that one.  I love them and eat them everyday.  I also have fruit.  

Had a bit of a plateau for a few weeks but since May I am down 31lbs.  4 more!

• Love 2
17 hours ago, stormy said:

Excellent. Congrats!

I'll have to look for those TJ's muffins.

THANKS!!!  They are really good in my opinion!  The brand they are a copy of is Zen Muffins.  They had just come out when I started WW in '99 and I have been hooked since.

Sigh... I know I shouldn't try on clothes that don't fit so I can feel bad about myself. But I also know that I can't just let myself keep gaining weight. It's been a bad few weeks. Depression and a terrible sleep schedule have knocked out workouts and let me get away with bad eating habits and using sugar as a mood enhancer. 

I'm spending next week out of town which means I don't know what I'll be eating and I will have no equipment (staying with family, not at a hotel). I'm going to try and at least not make the worst food choices and also try and get in some body weight exercises though they're not my favorite when I'm getting back into workouts. I prefer the security of weights and machines until I start feeling flexible and strong again. Trying to support my weight usually means a lot of joint pain and flopping on the floor. I do think when I get back I need to get serious about joining a gym. I know what works for me and trying to work out in my tiny apartment with all the distractions is not what works for me. 

• Love 2

They are opening a new gym in my area.  I'm gong to check it out. I just had some outpatient surgery, so, I can't workout for a few weeks, but, after that, I'm going to really make a concerted effort. 

I returned to doctor today and had lost 2 pounds!  AND, my blood pressure, without meds was 120/78, which I was very pleased with. Doctor said that I don't need meds for that. 

• Love 4
13 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

They are opening a new gym in my area.  I'm gong to check it out. I just had some outpatient surgery, so, I can't workout for a few weeks, but, after that, I'm going to really make a concerted effort. 

I returned to doctor today and had lost 2 pounds!  AND, my blood pressure, without meds was 120/78, which I was very pleased with. Doctor said that I don't need meds for that. 

Good luck!  If your gym offers classes, I always find them to be the most motivating

• Love 1

Better news.  My doctor visit last Friday and my blood pressure was 117/68!  I think I figured out what was inflating my BP.  I would drink coffee before the doctor visit.  I stopped doing that and my BP is now normal!  I strongly suspect that is what happened. 

• Love 4

No one has posted here in a while, so I thought I would post about my New Year's health resolutions.  As of January 1st, I've managed to stay on my healthy eating regimen (I don't like the word 'diet').  I'm trying to put off weighing each week until at least  Sunday, maybe even Monday (which will help me keep from over-eating on the weekends).  I didn't weigh today, but will tomorrow.  The weather has been perfect this weekend (low 60's, low humidity, slight breeze, and sunshine with bright blue skies) so I've been working on my jungle of a backyard.  I've made some progress, but there's still a long way to go.  But, I'm working off some calories.  For the next few work days, I'm getting off from work about a half hour earlier than usual, so I'm going to try to work in the back yard for at least 45 minutes to an hour (until I lose the last of the light).  Every bit will help.

I hope everyone else working on getting (or staying) healthy is okay and working hard (and it is very hard work). 

• Love 5

I completely fell off the wagon in December, but I've been pretty good since the arbitrary date of 01/01/2019.  I think I have the usual goals (eat better, move more, get enough sleep), but one thing I am consciously working on is expanding my veggie palate.  When the great romaine scare of 2018 happened a few weeks ago, I realized how dependent on salads I and my family had become.  So, now I'm working on incorporating different veggies into our meals.

• Love 2

When the great romaine scare of 2018 happened a few weeks ago, I realized how dependent on salads I and my family had become.

I know!  Even though I wasn't eating as healthy as I should, I had salad almost every night as part of my dinner.  I went through withdrawal.  I just realized that I'm out of romaine, so I'll need to pick up some in the next day or so.  I decided to come on in for the day (after spending most of the day working in the yard), because my neighbors are having company and are playing semi-loud music on the back porch.  But, it's not as loud as it has been in the past (I may have just jinxed myself by saying that) and they've been good about keeping it down after I complained a couple of times when they moved in around May, so as long as it's not rattling the dishes in the cupboards, I'm okay with it.  

• Love 2

The healthcare scares on lettuce left me wary and so I have really been avoiding it, though, I was never a huge fan.  I mainly eat other veggies like broccoli, squash, cauliflower, green beans, cabbage, etc.  I'm actually partial to baby greens and arugula and I don't think that they were effected, though, I've still steered clear of them lately. 

• Love 1
On 1/8/2019 at 5:51 PM, SunnyBeBe said:

The healthcare scares on lettuce left me wary and so I have really been avoiding it, though, I was never a huge fan.  I mainly eat other veggies like broccoli, squash, cauliflower, green beans, cabbage, etc.  I'm actually partial to baby greens and arugula and I don't think that they were effected, though, I've still steered clear of them lately. 

I think I got sick from one of those salad mixes, or the McDonald's salads that were implicated, four years ago, so I don't blame you. I love salad, though, when my stomach can handle it.

On 8/24/2014 at 7:22 PM, mansonlamps said:

I don't intend to say that I will never eat bread again, but I realize now that it can't be a daily occurrence for me anymore. Ever. 

Conversely, my good friend who started a weight loss plan a few months earlier than I did has a thirty day killer diet she follows in which she loses a TON of weight, but in the maintenance weeks after that she gains at least 50% of it back. Every single time. I find that approach too depressing and I'd rather lose at my own snail's pace as long as it is permanent which is my intention.

This. Big time. Bread is very high in carbs, and it's carbs that cause weight gain and make weight loss difficult. A lot of people focus on reducing fat to lose fat. Seems to make sense, but it's the wrong approach. Carbs are a quick, easy source of energy for your body, so when you're body requires energy it picks available carbs over fat.

In addition to lowering carb intake, consider a 7-Keto DHEA supplement. DHEA is a hormone that speeds up the metabolism, resulting in fat loss. DHEA is also a hormone that is a precursor for the female and male sex hormones, including estrogen and testosterone. That is, it gets turned into those hormones. It's tendency to alter hormone levels understandable gives DHEA a bad rap from some people. 7-Keto DHEA is different. It is a hormone formed from DHEA but, and though it is similar to its parent, DHEA, 7-Keto DHEA does not convert to steroid hormones.

(edited)

I admit I have a slight build and a good metabolism. BUT because of my small build, the little weight I can gain shows up like crazy. I also had an eating disorder in my teens and know what it's like to take dieting to the extreme. 

I lost a total of about 15 pounds in several months or so on my small frame. It was an enjoyable process, and I continue to get more fit. People who see my body think I must go to the gym. I never thought I'd look as toned as I do from walking, but I think because I enjoy it and try to do it as much as I can, the results show more than working out three times a week might. Even though I was never overweight, my body looked much softer before, and I had cellulite. It's almost entirely gone now. I only see it in the worst lighting. 

I strongly believe slow and steady wins the race. I think a lot of people give up because they go from eating whatever and not working out at al to strict diets and workouts they dread.

I strongly advocate to make gradual changes if you can. (If your doctor says lose a certain amount of weight asap, my advice is not for you.) I gradually tried to eat better, and I still enjoy all the food I love to some degree. I continue to look for ways to enjoy what I eat while trying to get healthier. 

I started going on walks now and then during the beginning of my fitness journey, and now I try to walk every day I have the time. Some days I'll miss, and some days I'll go on two walks. I'll occasionally jog a bit, but only if my body craves it. I don't force myself to do anything I don't want to do. If I'm tired, I'll let my body rest. I'll take stairs sometimes. I'll do sit-ups on my bed once in awhile. I try to maintain an active lifestyle, but I am gentle on my body. 

Look for stuff you look forward to. Dancing, swimming, yoga, pilates, hiking, playing a sport. I am not at all against the gym or boot camp style workouts if you truly enjoy them, but if you don't, good luck keeping any of it up long term. 

Try eating the same foods you love, but cutting back on the portions and maybe adding some veggies to your plate instead. Have a couple of pieces of chocolate instead of the whole bar. If you want a decadent dessert, have it on a cheat day so it doesn't become a daily habit. Try to minimize the goodies you keep at the house.

I've heard some studies show there folks who are abstainers, and there are those who are moderators. If you tell me I could never have chocolate cake again, I might cry. But if you say everything in moderation like it's easy peasy, that doesn't quite work for me. It's very easy to have an excuse to constantly indulge. Someone brought doughnuts. It's your birthday. You had a rough day. You had a great day and want to celebrate. Someone baked cookies. There's a sale on your favorite treat. You get the picture. I say make the stuff you enjoy part of your life, but set realistic limits. 

Edited by RealHousewife
  • Like 2

I had a regular checkup yesterday (after not going in for a year) and was pleasantly surprised that my bloodwork was mostly good (my blood sugar level is still in the gray area, so I have to work on that).  So, I have 6 months before I go back for more labwork, so I'm hoping I can lose more than a few pounds by then.  I plan to check in here regularly, and hope others that might be trying to get healthy will do so as well.  I can use all the encouragement I can.

I've decided that I'm too old to keep on yo-yo dieting and am really going to try to stick to the healthy eating (understanding that there might be the occasional unhealthy meal.  But I'm going to keep those few and far between).  My first test came yesterday when I had to make a trip to the grocery store without having had anything to eat that day (fasted for my bloodwork).  I did bring coffee with me, so I was able to have a first cup of the day between the doctor's office and Walmart.  I give myself a gold star, because I managed to get what I needed without buying anything that was bad for me (and rewarded myself by eating a banana in the car before I left the parking lot!).

• Like 3
  • Applause 1

I think those of us who didn't grow up with a lot of ultra-processed foods don't really understand the struggles that others go through regarding weight.  Like @RealHousewife, I also have a very tiny build (and not to mention, petite in height), so if I DO gain more than, say, 2 or 3 lb, it SHOWS.  But for now, it hasn't really been more than that (I have my "winter weight" and "summer weight" which is a difference of 2 or so pounds).  However, some people see it as me buying into "diet culture," something I don't understand.  I eat the way I eat because that's what I do.  And I think that's why my husband and I clash when it comes to meals (leading to a lot of frustration).  Well, until he found out from bloodwork that he had to make changes.  

• Like 4
(edited)

I've decided that Sundays will be my 'weigh in' day when possible.  I don't like to weigh more than once a week, since weight can fluctuate and I don't want to be disappointed if it looks like I gained two pounds when it was because of other reasons, not because I hadn't been eating right.

I lost 3 pounds this week! If you add that to the gradual 'yo yo' weight I've lost and gained recently, this makes me down 12 pounds from my all-time highest weight.  (I'm going to keep that information in the back of my mind, but will 'officially' count down from my weigh-in last Monday).

I'm going to try to see if I can control myself with just one 'cheat meal' a week.  Today is the day.  I ate very lightly for breakfast and lunch and am having a plate of spaghetti with meat sauce for dinner.  I like a lot of meat in my spaghetti sauce, so I made sure I drained it really, really well before I added the tomato sauce mixture.  My stomach is growling and I think I'm going to enjoy it more since I'm looking at it as a treat--something special.

Edited by BooksRule
  • Like 3
  • Love 1

I'm down another two pounds this week.  I ate healthy, but didn't do any exercise except from the little bit of walking I get at work (to and from parking lot to office, around the building from department to department, etc.).  I'm hoping as my energy level rises, I can get in more physical activity.  I'm getting ready to go outside and do some gardening, but I can't do too much (it's about 93 degrees outside), but I can at least pull some weeds and schlep the yard trash bags I filled last week out to the curb for tomorrow's pick-up.

This week's 'cheat meal' will be some chicken tenders and French fries (both with ketchup).  Baked, not fried, but still fairly high calorie if you have more than just a bit. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 4

I decided not to wait for Jan. 1st to begin my healthy eating regimen for the new year. I started on Saturday.  So far, so good.  I'm tracking my food and am trying to become more active as I'm able.

• Like 3
On 1/2/2024 at 5:30 PM, BooksRule said:

I decided not to wait for Jan. 1st to begin my healthy eating regimen for the new year. I started on Saturday.  So far, so good.  I'm tracking my food and am trying to become more active as I'm able.

Congrats on not waiting, and I hope this very much after the fact post finds you still keeping your new way of life going and successful! I have found that it takes a while to really develop new habits in terms of taking care of oneself properly, even when we know it is what we should be doing. However, once you are doing it without having to think (you no longer even reach for that french fry or take the stairs automatically rather than the elevator), you have won!! And it really is a big deal - better than a lottery win, being hard earned and priceless!

• Like 2