Type keyword(s) to search

S17.E15: One on One: Part 1

Scarlett45
  • Start Topic

22 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Also funny that Christine, the only wife of the bunch who has never been married, doesn't give a shit.

I think having never been married bothers Christine quite a bit. I think seeing her daughters in supportive monogamous marriages is what finally prompted her to leave, among various other things. 

Robyn is such a snake.

While violence is never the answer, Kody deserved a serious beating for that panting comment. Of course, he would never say something like that about Robyn. 

Kody looked like he was suffocating in that too small buttoned up suit. 

• Like 13
  • Applause 5
  • Love 1
16 hours ago, SemiCharmedLife said:

I think it's despicable that Kody and Robyn have come up with this Meri reconciliation story to discredit Christine.  It is an obvious lie to paint Christine as the bad guy.  And it's not fair to Meri, either (though I don't care for Meri at all).  I hope Suki will call them on their bs in the next episode.

I agree.  During the discussion where Christine told the group she was leaving, Kody was furious, what with being knifed in the kidneys and all.  Anyway, he made sure to let it be known that Christine treated Robyn like crap from Day One.  At one point, he asked Meri if she had anything to say.  Common sense dictates that if Christine had asked him not to reconcile with Meri, that would have been the perfect time for him to bring it up and use it as ammunition against her.

• Like 18
  • Useful 3
  • LOL 1

In a weird way, Robyn's comment about Christine needing to have sex with somebody else to be divorced makes a kind of sense to me. If the marriage commitment/sacrament as they see it involves the wife's eternal salvation being linked to the man for eternity, even the most patriarchal church is likely going to take that sort of thing pretty seriously. The one thing tilted in the woman's favor in this equation might be that the guy can't arbitrarily back out of the agreement to call her through the veil. He needs cause, a cause upheld by the church. So whatever their temporal disagreements, barring a formal divorce, he may be on the hook for calling her through. If she commits adultery, however, that frees him instantly.  

In a modern world, that creates a scenario where the wife can leave the faith and not participate in whatever the formal church divorce proceeding would involve, and then only excommunication or "adultery" on her end would terminate the agreement.  And these people were already kicked out of their home church as I recall, so all that's left is the moving on to another guy option. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 5
15 hours ago, mythoughtis said:

I think Robyn’s statement about adultery is not well explained.  Putting it in context she probably meant that it is the only other way to be divorced since Christine did not apply to the church to be divorced. Something Christine doesn’t feel the need to do. 
However Robyn’s statement doesn’t jive with Kody’s statement about his marriage to Meri being over.  He’s not applied for divorce anywhere and Meri didn’t actually have sex with anyone. Have sex with another man  is the actual words Robyn  used. 

Wouldn't it go both ways?  So when Sobbyn & Douchie bumped uglies BEFORE they got MARRIED, didn't HE divorce Meri and just not say it out loud?  But of course, there was SHOW $$$ and property being sold....

• Like 2
  • Love 2
51 minutes ago, goofygirl said:

Wouldn't it go both ways?  So when Sobbyn & Douchie bumped uglies BEFORE they got MARRIED, didn't HE divorce Meri and just not say it out loud?  But of course, there was SHOW $$$ and property being sold....

He didn't need to divorce Meri at the time of marrying Robyn because they were living their dogma of polygamy, in which a man can take more than one wife.  

• Like 3
On 12/19/2022 at 10:08 PM, Ms.Lulu said:

I thought that Suki handled Kody and Robyn with kid gloves and really wanted her to ask the hard questions:

• Kody, Are you paying child support?
  • Kody, Have you repaid Janelle for giving you her 401K and profits from the sale of her house?
  • Kody, Why didn't you remember Gabe's birthday?
  • Kody, Did Robyn teach you to gaslight?
  • Robyn, Why are there no tears when you cry?
  • Robyn, How can you love a man who wouldn't go with his child for surgery?
  • Robyn, Why won't you admit the Covid rules were yours?
  • Robyn, Will you leave Kody when you have to move into a trailer again?

These are the questions I want asked.

I agree 100%. This host always handles these two with kid gloves. It's so annoying!! I knew when I saw that she was hosting this tell nothing again, that she was going to be sympathizing with Sobbyn the whole time. And she did. She asks no important questions that viewers want to know. She acts like she believes that Sobbyn is such a hurt victim that Christine didn't want to have a relationship with her. They need to get a better host. Like Kevin Frazier, who doesn't hold back and asks the straight up questions everyone is wondering about. I have a long list of questions I want to ask them too. I wish viewers could call in live during the taping and ask all the questions they want and make Kody and Sobbyn answer each and every one. The only question Suki asked Sobbyn was if Kody told her that he didn't want to be intimate anymore, would she be fine with that and stay with him. And that's the only question like that she asked. The rest was all kissing up to Sobbyn acting like she feels so bad for her. The whole hour was pointless. 

• Like 6
  • Applause 9

Is there some kind of agreement where they get the questions ahead of time and have the ability to say "cross that one out, not answering that one, etc".  Because it seems like it plus if that is the case, it really isn't a tell all it is a tell some according to what we are willing to share.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3

Is there some kind of agreement where they get the questions ahead of time and have the ability to say "cross that one out, not answering that one, etc".  Because it seems like it plus if that is the case, it really isn't a tell all it is a tell some according to what we are willing to share.

I've seen several posts about this same issue, and I'm curious what you all think the host should be asking instead? She can't attack the interviewees, and she's not supposed to take sides. This is a reality show, not a CIA interrogation. 

• Like 3
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 3
20 minutes ago, lookeyloo said:

I kind of doubt it. From what I understand reality show celebrities sell their souls when they sign on the dotted line. TLC basically owns them while they're being filmed

• Like 7
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, lookeyloo said:

I think it’s more of a case where she’s having to deal with Kody with  kid gloves early in the interview because she is concerned he will explode on her and/or walk off.   Maybe part 3 will be more direct because she will be at closer to the end of the interviews and will lose less content if he reacts badly.  She’s having to treat Robyn the same way because Kody is so protective of her. 
Christine walked off in an earlier season tell all, so it wouldn’t be the first time one of them has reacted badly.  I think the wives have become more resigned to the interview process over the years, while Kody has become a walking disaster the last few seasons. 

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Like 11
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 2
3 hours ago, lookeyloo said:

It really does seem like that to me. At least with Kody and Sobbyn. I can see those two going over each and every question and crossing out the ones they refuse to answer or that they don't like. I've never seen a tell all host completely avoid so many important questions.  It's like she tiptoes around them. Mostly Kody and Sobbyn. 

• Like 9

I wonder how the interviews are done. Are they done all at once, one after the other? Are they done in segments, meaning 20 minutes with each, then another 20 minutes, etc.? Are they texting each other, or sitting with each other, in between interviews? Like if Kody went first is he sitting with Robyn giving her the low down while another wife is being interviewed? I would think if they're allowed to talk, Meri would be disadvantaged seeing as she's not close to anyone.

Clearing I'm now thinking about the one-on-ones way too much.

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
  • LOL 8
4 hours ago, TurtlePower said:

She almost nailed the grating voice. Hilarious. 

Anytime Meri speaks I mentally yell at her..."clear your throat before you speak!!!" She always sounds like she is gargling to me.

• LOL 7
4 hours ago, mythoughtis said:

I think it’s more of a case where she’s having to deal with Kody with  kid gloves early in the interview because she is concerned he will explode on her and/or walk off.   Maybe part 3 will be more direct because she will be at closer to the end of the interviews and will lose less content if he reacts badly.  She’s having to treat Robyn the same way because Kody is so protective of her. 
Christine walked off in an earlier season tell all, so it wouldn’t be the first time one of them has reacted badly.  I think the wives have become more resigned to the interview process over the years, while Kody has become a walking disaster the last few seasons. 

I'm pretty sure that happened with Kody during the season 16 tell all.  Coming back from a break Suki came back drying her eyes and Kody on the couch apologized and said "I'm not angry at you".  I will re-watch and check again.

Season 16 One on One part 3 at 31:06 "I'm a little angry.  I'm not angry with you" as she is taking her seat again.

Edited by procrasstinator
Add episode number.
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1

Kody: This might've worked if I woulda been more patriarchal. That's probably a stupid thing to say.

Me: Wow, who knew you were capable of even the smallest amount of self-reflection?

If Kody talks about his wives (um, wife now) being "compliant" to the patriarchy one more time, I'm going to sneak Nair into this shampoo.

Well, I might do that anyway, but still...

Edited by the-grey-lady
  • Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 11

I don't know that they are aired in the same sequence they are taped. I think they tape the interview footage and then edit it together, so what we see in Part 1 may actually have been later in the actual interviews and vice versa.

• Like 12
On 12/21/2022 at 8:14 AM, Kellyee said:

I've seen several posts about this same issue, and I'm curious what you all think the host should be asking instead? She can't attack the interviewees, and she's not supposed to take sides. This is a reality show, not a CIA interrogation. 

You can do a lot of damage with a gentle "Help me understand how THIS is okay, but THAT is not okay." "What confuses me is that you just said _______, when that time at the ____ when you spoke to _____, you said _______" And then sit back and let them explain. 

Gentle, friendly, but unrelenting is a great quality in an interviewer. I think this lady is better than a lot of them have been, so maybe she'll press more in the remaining episodes. 

Edited by kassa
  • Like 17
  • Useful 1
On 12/21/2022 at 12:22 AM, SemiCharmedLife said:

He didn't need to divorce Meri at the time of marrying Robyn because they were living their dogma of polygamy, in which a man can take more than one wife.  

Maybe they were "spiritually married" by mutual agreement and had sex well before they were legally married which they had to do in order for Kody to adopt Robyn's kids. 

• Mind Blown 1
  • LOL 2
23 hours ago, Sandy W said:

Anytime Meri speaks I mentally yell at her..."clear your throat before you speak!!!" She always sounds like she is gargling to me.

I think it's because she can't take a deep breath due to wearing size XS.

• Mind Blown 1
  • LOL 16

I don't think anyone goes on reality TV without a high degree of narcissism and as Dr Drew said a low level of emotional awareness.  Think about it, how many of us think our lives are worth other people watching?  How many of the reality show people seem addicted to being on reality show?  Kate Gosselin is on there along with Bill Arnold and Jen Klein.

• Like 14
1 hour ago, Absolom said:

I don't think anyone goes on reality TV without a high degree of narcissism and as Dr Drew said a low level of emotional awareness.  Think about it, how many of us think our lives are worth other people watching?  How many of the reality show people seem addicted to being on reality show?  Kate Gosselin is on there along with Bill Arnold and Jen Klein.

I for one would absolutely hate having my life exposed on TV. I don't even have any social media accounts under my full name.

Just now, Teafortwo said:

I for one would absolutely hate having my life exposed on TV. I don't even have any social media accounts under my full name.

ETA except FB, where my account is visible only to those on my friends list.

I don't see the "edit" option anymore....

• Like 7

On 12/19/2022 at 2:01 PM, toodywoody said:

The run their will into mine, someone please tell me wtf he was talking about. Or is he saying that no matter wtf they wanted, it was his way or the highway.

He's saying "submit" without using the word.

On 12/19/2022 at 2:37 PM, Adiba said:

Another thing that was in this episode was the interviewer asking them what Robyn meant by the "Christine is still spiritually married to Kody until she has sex with another man"-- and they couldn't answer it definitively. I still do not get it. If adultery is a sin in their religion, does that mean one has to sin in order to remarry (in the AUB)?

Does it mean that technically, Kody was in fact courting a spiritually married woman when he courted Robyn? The interviewer should have asked Robyn and Janelle (?) how it worked for both of them when they left their first husbands.

See below.

On 12/20/2022 at 8:10 AM, mythoughtis said:

I think Robyn’s statement about adultery is not well explained.  Putting it in context she probably meant that it is the only other way to be divorced since Christine did not apply to the church to be divorced. Something Christine doesn’t feel the need to do. 
However Robyn’s statement doesn’t jive with Kody’s statement about his marriage to Meri being over.  He’s not applied for divorce anywhere and Meri didn’t actually have sex with anyone. Have sex with another man  is the actual words Robyn  used. 

I think that ^ is almost it.

My Understanding of Breaking Plural Marriage Bonds:

Let's say the Browns were all still practicing AUB. Kody and Christine would have gone to church officials to request a divorce. Their church would have to approve the dissolution of their marriage, before she was again free for courtship by another AUB man.

Even once Christine had church blessing to be courted, because they believe marriages are eternal and sealed in the afterlife, in the spiritual or metaphysical sense, nothing breaks that seal (i.e. the man still has eternal "dibs" on that woman) unless and until another man has sex with her. 

A devout but divorced AUB woman would not have sex with another man until she remarried in the church and was sealed to him. The new seal then would not exist in eternity, until consummation of that union.

Now, Kody might consider himself not married to Meri, because she was emotionally unfaithful, but that is likely more of some kind of spiritual spurning than it is a divorce. Like, he he has decided he will not call her up to his planet in the afterlife (that is, if he still believes any of this, at all).

The legal marriages have zero significance to their faith itself. The reason they bother with legal marriage, is because they live in a society where legal marriage does matter, and carries with it legal rights.

To any current or former mainstream LDS people posting here, does my explanation of the above seem correct to you?

Edited to add: 

@Adiba, I do think your explanation is partially right. That is, let's say Kody was still a practicing AUB but Christine had sex with another man. Kody could go to church officials and prove she was unfaithful, and they'd retroactively approve the dissolution of the marriage, because the supposedly eternal bond was already dead. And because this is such a sexist religion in practice, "proving" her adultery would probably amount to little more than claiming she was unfaithful. After all, he holds the priesthood. She is just a broodmare who has stopped breeding.

Edited by General Days
  • Like 2
  • Sad 2
  • Useful 3

Are they permitted to just peace out on calling her up for the planet just for lack of compatibility, though?  Even in a patriarchal religion that seems like a vow that you wouldn't have unlimited wiggle room on or else the sealing wouldn't be so powerful.  

What's weird is that Kody has been pretty open the last year or so (of televised interviews, so maybe 2 calendar years) that he does not really believe in polygamy any more, which makes Meri and Robyn's repetition of "in our faith" a stark contrast to Christine and Janelle shrugging and saying "what are you going to do? If it doesn't work it doesn't work."

Edited by kassa
  • Like 6
5 minutes ago, kassa said:

Are they permitted to just peace out on calling her up for the planet just for lack of compatibility, though?  Even in a patriarchal religion that seems like a vow that one wouldn't have unlimited wiggle room or the sealing wouldn't mean much.

The sealing may not mean much, but it's apparently the best that women can hope for here.  It certainly would help keep women in line and make sure they do whatever their husband wants them to do, so they don't piss him off and wind up in limbo.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 5

This is a time when I wish someone familiar with the AUB beliefs could be on here.   In most religions, it is your own thoughts, beliefs, or actions that get you to your version of heaven( grace, good works, etc).  In the Brown’s ( at least Robyn’s), the wife’s  thoughts and beliefs do not seem to matter.  It’s all about whether Kody  wants her beside him in his version of heaven for  eternity.   What happens to any of  Kody’s female unmarried adult children?   Maybe we need a tell all from Robyn where she details her beliefs so that we actually know what she thinks.  If she actually thinks. 

• Like 3
  • LOL 3
13 minutes ago, Cetacean said:

It's a total mystery to me why anyone would sign up for a lifetime of abuse for some some nebulous "heaven" where they are stuck with the same asshole for eternity.

Because it's what they think God wants them to do.  Suffer in this life to enjoy paradise in the next and so forth.  

• Like 3
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Wink 1

Janelle continues to have problems with fever blisters and lip chapping.  Like everything else on this show, even the big changes, like Christine's "divorce", seem insignificant against the static background of Kotex's assholery.  As it was, so it shall be.

• Like 6
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, Fosca said:

Suffer in this life to enjoy paradise in the next and so forth.  

But wouldn't they just be suffering in paradise if they have to spend it with someoe like Kootie? The whole thing is just nuts to anyone who can employ critical thinking.

• Like 13
  • Applause 1
16 hours ago, Cetacean said:

But wouldn't they just be suffering in paradise if they have to spend it with someoe like Kootie? The whole thing is just nuts to anyone who can employ critical thinking.

Yep.  Most religions don't make sense to me because of stuff like this.  Maybe they think he will change once he has his own planet, or that suffering with a shitty husband is better than being in limbo.   But one thing many religions don't encourage is critical thinking about the religion itself; instead, rely on faith and suchlike.

• Like 9

I think Kodys hair products are soaking into his brain. Love doesn’t matter, for him it’s respect. I am not a polygamy expert but this makes no sense.

All this asshole wants is people to worship the ground he walks on and kiss his ass!

• Like 11
  • Fire 2
1 hour ago, Fosca said:

Yep.  Most religions don't make sense to me because of stuff like this.  Maybe they think he will change once he has his own planet, or that suffering with a shitty husband is better than being in limbo.   But one thing many religions don't encourage is critical thinking about the religion itself; instead, rely on faith and suchlike.

My main beef is that Jesus directly specifically said there is no marriage in Heaven, see Matthew 22; 29-30. 

• Like 3
  • Applause 2
  • Useful 5
  • Love 1
On 12/23/2022 at 11:46 AM, Cetacean said:

It's a total mystery to me why anyone would sign up for a lifetime of abuse for some some nebulous "heaven" where they are stuck with the same asshole for eternity.

I think for the majority of women, spending eternity with Kody would be sheer HELL. 

But I'm still trying to figure out the logistics of this arrangement. If your daughters don't marry, do they stay on your planet with you like "spinster aunts" who continue to live at home? What about the sons? I assume if the sons don't marry at least three wives they won't get their own planet so can they also live with Mom and Dad? I can imagine Robyn's reclusive son living with her forever. 

Edited by magemaud
  • Like 6
  • LOL 2
33 minutes ago, magemaud said:

I think for the majority of women, spending eternity with Kody would be sheer HELL. 

But I'm still trying to figure out the logistics of this arrangement. If your daughters don't marry, do they stay on your planet with you like "spinster aunts" who continue to live at home? What about the sons? I assume if the sons don't marry at least three wives they won't get their own planet so can they also live with Mom and Dad? I can imagine Robyn's reclusive son living with her forever. 

Yes, spinster daughters can stay on their dad’s planet if he calls them in. But unmarried, non plural married, not called in to the highest level etc have to be eternal servants to them. So explains partially why Meri is mentally tied to this lifestyle. Heaven forbid, literally, that she has to be on a lower social rung than anybody, even in Heaven. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1
  • Useful 3
9 hours ago, RazzleberryPie said:

So explains partially why Meri is mentally tied to this lifestyle. Heaven forbid, literally, that she has to be on a lower social rung than anybody, even in Heaven. 

That’s a very useful point. I can’t blame Meri for not wanting to be demoted to servant status for all eternity. 

• Like 2
  • LOL 3

All of those bizarre rules regarding heaven elevates the relief at being agnostic.  No worries, just live a good and caring life because it's the right thing to do, not because of some cockamamie religious crap.

• Like 5
  • Applause 3
  • Love 2
On 12/30/2022 at 8:33 AM, Cetacean said:

All of those bizarre rules regarding heaven elevates the relief at being agnostic.  No worries, just live a good and caring life because it's the right thing to do, not because of some cockamamie religious crap.

Amen(ish)!

• Like 5
  • LOL 2

I’m watching the more to love  version of this episode. No I don’t know why I’m doing it.     The bonus scene I’m watching is Robyn whining because Christine doesn’t want  relationship with her. First, that’s not what she watched Christine say in the clip - she said she needed space for now.  Second- stop with the Christine took away my dream - Kodt did that - third- it’s not really even a bonus scene as i remember most of it from the original airing. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1