Type keyword(s) to search

S17.E15: One on One: Part 1

Scarlett45
  • Start Topic

2 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I did notice Meri had a different hairstyle, but couldn’t figure out the details…..it wasn’t the most flattering on her, imo.  She has nice hair, so I’m not sure what the difficulty is in presenting it.   I wonder if she was struggling to stay relevant, since the season didn’t feature her that much and it was primarily done for attention.  

Meri is the type of person who’s never figured out how to enhance their natural attributes.  Her eyes are stunning, but she puts on her eye makeup so heavily it actually distracts.  And her natural hair texture seems to be soft and silky. But her stylist seems to still be rocking a razor cut that results in hair resembling a porcupine. 

Janelle hasn’t figured out how to flatter her eyes either. I wish she would put a little warmth in her hair color.  I also noticed on this episode that she has full lips that are very pretty. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1
  • Useful 1

It is rather sad (and pathetic) the way Meri’s face lights up whenever she feels even a sliver of hope that Kody even notices her. Watch her face when the host tells her that Kody was once considering reconciliation. You could see the excitement and hope in her face. Then again, look back in the season and notice her reaction whenever they all had their stupid family circles and Kody turned to her for her thoughts (it was plain as day that Kody was just feeling cornered in each of those moments and just wanted his lapdog wife to back him up in whatever hairbrained opinion he had just expressed, knowing that she was forever desperate to please him). Each time she giggled awkwardly, like a little girl who has a crush on the unattainable boy in school. Even though Kody was using her in each of those situations, Meri was gitty with excitement. 

I think she’s so damaged from that catfishing thing that she’s willing to accept such a terrible and humiliating situation, begging for scraps from an asswipe like Kody, because she doesn’t think she can attract anything or anyone any better. I’m hopeful in a few years she’ll be look back and question why on earth she put up with what she did for so long. 

Edited by Spectator
  • Like 11
  • Sad 2
  • Applause 4
1 hour ago, javajeanelaine said:

I didn’t think Kody could sink any lower, but surprise!  He did.  That panting about how Christine and Janelle wanted to marry him is beyond the pale.

The lengths Kody will go to punish Janelle and humiliate Christine knows no bounds.  I thought it incredibly vile of him to portray his wives of decades and the mothers of his children as “pick me, lap dogs.” That was just mean and nasty.  I couldn't believe the interviewer let him get away with those remarks.  Others would have called him on it.  He seems to forget that in the polygamist culture, a woman is allowed to make the first move and let a man know that she is interested.  

• Like 14
  • Love 5

Another thing that was in this episode was the interviewer asking them what Robyn meant by the "Christine is still spiritually married to Kody until she has sex with another man"-- and they couldn't answer it definitively. I still do not get it. If adultery is a sin in their religion, does that mean one has to sin in order to remarry (in the AUB)?

Does it mean that technically, Kody was in fact courting a spiritually married woman when he courted Robyn? The interviewer should have asked Robyn and Janelle (?) how it worked for both of them when they left their first husbands.

• Like 14
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Applause 4
  • Useful 1
4 hours ago, barshi50 said:

What? No one has mentioned that Meri brushed her hair?

Meri’s hair is always a crapshoot, it either looks like she went at it with a weed whacker in a wind storm or too much product and glued in place!

I thought Christine’s hair looked like a Great Dane licked her head… wtf was up with her hair?

• Like 1
  • LOL 10
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I did notice Meri had a different hairstyle, but couldn’t figure out the details…..it wasn’t the most flattering on her, imo.  She has nice hair, so I’m not sure what the difficulty is in presenting it.   I wonder if she was struggling to stay relevant, since the season didn’t feature her that much and it was primarily done for attention.  

I think her hair looks like dry straw, but that's just me.

• Like 6
  • Applause 1
4 hours ago, toodywoody said:

Like dude I understand you don't want to be intimate with these women. Be up front eith them and let them be with someone who will love and cherish them.

He is unable to care about anyone but himself so the idea of letting anyone else be happy is way outside his capability.  Making people bend to his will, even if it makes them miserable, even if it's morally wrong, even if they are the mothers of his children is what he embraces.  Remember, it's all about respect which he seems to think can be forced.  Self-absorbed moron.

• Like 9
  • Sad 1
  • Love 1

They should probably consider clearing up some of this "faith" stuff. It's the cornerstone of their arrangement and commitment - yet they "haven't talked about it in a long time" and seemingly don't know who believes what. Christine left the "faith" in Vegas apparently.  Kody wants to be done- but now reverses and wants to reinstall his patriarchal order? Janelle says she didn't sign up for that - except patriarchy is what the "principle" dictates. None of them make any sense and tbh all of them seem to have trouble keeping track of what stories they've told us in the past. Ironically Meri is the only one who was somewhat honest - yup she signed up for patriarchy and yup apparently it's incompatible with "strong independent woman." Exhibit A.

• Like 15
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, bichonblitz said:

They all had too much powder on their faces which made their skin look dry and lifeless.   

Yes!  Especially Christine…she has forehead lines when she raises her eyebrows, and the heavy powder made this even more pronounced. It was distracting to me. It was unfortunate, because Christine looks terrific post-Kody in other photos.

• Like 7
  • Love 1
15 hours ago, UsernameFatigue said:

And the most ironic thing is that Meri once was his legal wife, I assume he loved her once. But he has made it very clear that he has never loved or been attracted to Christine. But he was devastated by her leaving. Only because it was her idea.

During the discussion when Christine is explaining that the relationship is over, Kody says when he married Christine it was not romantic for him.  But that later they did develop a real marriage.  I don't think Kody said he never loved Christine.  I think he did as long as she kept things light and nonconfrontational and as long as she demonstrated her usefulness to the family.  But as soon as Christine asked for anything then she was seen by Kody as whiny and selfish. 

• Like 13
  • Sad 1
  • Applause 1
8 hours ago, Kellyee said:

I won't be watching this episode until tonight, but I feel like Christine has spent this entire season refining her story to sell us on her version of events. I haven't forgotten about how she screamed about the joys of polygamy for years, and I don't see her as a victim or worthy of real sympathy. All 5 Brown adults are opportunists. They're all working an angle, and they all need sympathetic fans to buy the products they are shilling in their side businesses. Except Robyn, who doesn't appear to work or parent full time.

All the wives screamed about the joys of polygamy for years and they all described the difficulties.  In season one Meri and Christine talk very openly about their jealousy when Robyn joins the family.  In season two (?) Janelle describes how angry she was when Kody married Robyn.  I wonder whether inviting Robyn into the family was Meri's idea like getting a legal divorce was "Meri's idea".  It doesn't seem like any of the wives were comfortable with the thought of another wife joining the family.  And I do see a lot of the screaming about polygamy to be a result of conditioning.  I don't understand so much Janelle's endorsement of polygamy since she wasn't raised in that environment, but for Christine and Meri polygamy was part of their upbringing.  I don't think Christine sees herself as a victim.  I think Christine sees herself as a realist.  She's faced the fact that she's in a loveless marriage.  Okay then it only makes sense to move on.  After all Christine never claimed to have been knifed in the kidneys....

• Like 16
  • Applause 1
15 hours ago, UsernameFatigue said:

The most interesting thing I learned in this epi was that Kody is terrified of being poor. He must see the caboose on the gravy train, and it must terrify him. 

He was creepy in that segment, when he told the interviewer that he wasn't afraid of anything (twice) with his serial killer eyes.

2 hours ago, toodywoody said:

The run their will into mine, someone please tell me wtf he was talking about. Or is he saying that no matter wtf they wanted, it was his way or the highway.

Your will (wishes / desires / opinions) become subservient to his. So yes, just another way of saying my way or the highway.

I rilly need the final episode of this season to be grouped interviews: Christine and Janelle, Kody and Robyn (no need to see or hear anything further) from Meri. And then the 4 of them together, 2 on each side, with a tv in the middle showing clips.

• Like 12
  • LOL 1
1 hour ago, Tuxcat said:

They should probably consider clearing up some of this "faith" stuff. It's the cornerstone of their arrangement and commitment - yet they "haven't talked about it in a long time" and seemingly don't know who believes what. Christine left the "faith" in Vegas apparently.

Because a man wants a wife and as many concubines as he desires and wants to be able to justify it and validate it,  so he comes up with a "religious" principle.  Who suffers most from this delusion are the children.

They go on and on about how to get divorced and except for Meri and now Robin, they were never married!!!!

Edited by Kid
  • Like 9

If the Browns act as if their celestial marriages can just be walked away from, it illegitimizes them. Its funny though, only Janelle and Robyn seem to care. I don't recall Meri mentioning their faith in regard to this. Also funny that Christine, the only wife of the bunch who has never been married, doesn't give a shit.

• Like 7
1 hour ago, Tuxcat said:

They should probably consider clearing up some of this "faith" stuff. It's the cornerstone of their arrangement and commitment - yet they "haven't talked about it in a long time" and seemingly don't know who believes what.

They SHOULD and they should have off and on through the show. But the religion seems to have been set aside long ago, or maybe TLC didn't want them being too detailed or we the viewers would have said, "Are these people crazy?" Of course, now we're saying it anyway. They've said the word "religion" but haven't mentioned how they're practicing it in a very long time. I don't remember any of the adults saying they don't believe any more until this season when it was clear Christine isn't a member of their church. Well, actually, if the AUB church threw them out, what DO they consider to be their church? Who would they go to to get that piece of paper that says those spiritual marriages are done, if they don't have a church to go to to get it?

• Like 7
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, bichonblitz said:

I thought it was advertised as 4 parts. I may be wrong, My mind is not as sharp as it used to be. 😏

The One on One is advertised as 3 "explosive" parts. You might be confusing it with the "90 Day Fiancé Tell All" which will have 4 parts. 

Edited by magemaud
  • Like 2
  • Useful 3
  • LOL 2
1 hour ago, Tuxcat said:

Ironically Meri is the only one who was somewhat honest - yup she signed up for patriarchy and yup apparently it's incompatible with "strong independent woman." Exhibit A.

Meri really impressed me with her honesty.  It was as if she knew she had nothing to lose and wanted to clear the air.  She was handed the opportunity to throw Christine under the bus but chose not to do so.  The interviewer seemed to believe Kody and Robyn, rather wholeheartedly.  The fact that she took Kody's word that Christine stopped him from reconciling with Meri is rather concerning. 

• Like 16
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

I think it’s slowly dawning on Kody and Robyn that they are not the fan favourites. I’m sure Kody believed the higher ratings were due to him being tough and manly not people cheering on Christine as she finally left her raving lunatic husband.  
Going forward it must have sunk in that Christine, Janelle and Meri are under no obligation to contribute to the family pot of money and that is where Kody’s fear of poverty is coming from.

• Like 11
  • Applause 3
  • Love 1

Did Kody throw in the poverty statement to use as an excuse for his behavior, once the show is cancelled? I can see him saying, I have 18 kids and 4 wives to support, that was all acting, I needed that money so I amped it up to keep the show going.

Not that I think that's true, but now that he knows he's both hated and laughed at, he's planting a seed of an excuse. Oh shit, this is Kody, his thoughts can't make it past the minute mark without becoming another thought, so I doubt he can have any consistent well thought out future plans.

Please disregard. 

• LOL 13
3 hours ago, laurakaye said:

'cause your TLC gravy train is coming to a swift end, you moron.

I’ve been wishing for this for eons, believe me, but the ratings are up this season, so I don’t think it’s getting canceled.  Not yet, at least.  It’s kinda ridiculous to air a show called “Sister Wives” when the patriarch (sorry) rilly only has one wife and the family is so fractured, but TLC will find some way to milk the drama, don’t you think?  

• Like 7
  • Sad 2
  • Love 1
18 minutes ago, LotusFlower said:

I’ve been wishing for this for eons, believe me, but the ratings are up this season, so I don’t think it’s getting canceled.  Not yet, at least.  It’s kinda ridiculous to air a show called “Sister Wives” when the patriarch (sorry) rilly only has one wife and the family is so fractured, but TLC will find some way to milk the drama, don’t you think?  

It will be something like: Sister Wives: Picking up the Pieces or Sister Wives: Fractured Fahmlee etc.

• Like 7
  • Sad 2

I hope in the next episode that the host/interviewer nails Cody to the wall for the segment regarding Gabe. I am sure Cody will try to weasel out by saying he has too many birthdays, anniversaries, and other celebrations to remember.  I hope the host does not cut him any slack and he is made to understand how hurt Gabe felt.  That is what electronic devices are made for, Cody.  This is a perfect example of why his relationships with his children (other than Robyn's kids) are falling apart. 

His excuse for forgetting will be that he, his wife and his "little ones" were all DYING of COVID and he had bigger worries than a birthday. 

• Like 5
  • Sad 4
  • LOL 1
2 minutes ago, Elizzikra said:

His excuse for forgetting will be that he, his wife and his "little ones" were all DYING of COVID and he had bigger worries than a birthday. 

I’ll think he’ll blame the wives.  In this case, Janelle.  It’s each wife’s responsibility to remind him, blah, blah, blah....  Part of his conspiracy theory that Janelle and Christine are turning the kids against him.  Watch. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 6
  • Useful 2
1 hour ago, Cetacean said:

What was that lunge he took at the interviewer all about?  Why didn't she tell him to back the hell up?

He wasn’t really lunging at the interviewer.  He reached out in illustration of how he told his wives he was considering reconciling with Meri.  He was re enacting the scene.  Still not appropriate (where’s all of his Covid protocols now?).  Someone should have given him a laminated booklet of Covid protocols before coming on the show…

• Like 8
  • Useful 1
7 minutes ago, procrasstinator said:

He wasn’t really lunging at the interviewer.  He reached out in illustration of how he told his wives he was considering reconciling with Meri.  He was re enacting the scene.  Still not appropriate (where’s all of his Covid protocols now?).  Someone should have given him a laminated booklet of Covid protocols before coming on the show…

4 hours ago, procrasstinator said:

All the wives screamed about the joys of polygamy for years and they all described the difficulties.  In season one Meri and Christine talk very openly about their jealousy when Robyn joins the family.  In season two (?) Janelle describes how angry she was when Kody married Robyn.  I wonder whether inviting Robyn into the family was Meri's idea like getting a legal divorce was "Meri's idea".  It doesn't seem like any of the wives were comfortable with the thought of another wife joining the family.  And I do see a lot of the screaming about polygamy to be a result of conditioning.  I don't understand so much Janelle's endorsement of polygamy since she wasn't raised in that environment, but for Christine and Meri polygamy was part of their upbringing.  I don't think Christine sees herself as a victim.  I think Christine sees herself as a realist.  She's faced the fact that she's in a loveless marriage.  Okay then it only makes sense to move on.  After all Christine never claimed to have been knifed in the kidneys....

Wasn’t it something like when the show started , Big Love was a popular show, and TLC chose them to be the reality version because they were a plyg family that was adding a new wife? Seriously they wouldn’t have much interesting conflict without the whole Stealth Bitch Robin drama as story arcs. None of them were particularly good looking, interesting, or doing anything really remarkable enough to merit more than a special program otherwise.

• Like 11

Robyn's surety that Christine isn't divorced until she gets a different peen reminds me so much of the many times I have been approached by well-meaning fundamentalist Christians. Being Jewish, the overzealous fundies start salivating when they learn that no, I don't recognize Jesus as my messiah. "BuT yoU aRe dooMEd to HeLL FoR All ETerniTy unLesS yOu comE To cHuRch" is their common refrain.

Judaism doesn't have a hell. I was not raised to believe in Christ as my savior. I identify strongly with Christine, who is clearly no longer ruled by fear and religion, and Robyn can't wrap her tiny shitbiscuit brain around this. She must have said "that's my understanding, according to our beliefs" about seven times.

Christine thinks your beliefs are for shit, Robyn. Sit the fuck down and take your cookie with you.

• Like 5
  • Applause 8
  • Love 8
10 hours ago, Adiba said:

Another thing that was in this episode was the interviewer asking them what Robyn meant by the "Christine is still spiritually married to Kody until she has sex with another man"-- and they couldn't answer it definitively. I still do not get it. If adultery is a sin in their religion, does that mean one has to sin in order to remarry (in the AUB)?

Does it mean that technically, Kody was in fact courting a spiritually married woman when he courted Robyn? The interviewer should have asked Robyn and Janelle (?) how it worked for both of them when they left their first husbands.

I used to belong to a very strict Christian religion and the only grounds for an approved divorce was adultery.  This was based on Bible teachings.  Of course, if one of the partners committed adultery, that person would be facing counseling/disfellowshipping, but the partner would be able to seek a divorce.  (This particular religion had no polygamy and all marriages were legal.) 

I think that (scriptural reason for divorce) is what Robyn is alluding to, although she had a strange way of saying it, which confused many of us.  If her ex husband had another wife, she would be free to get her divorce and "marry" Kody.

• Like 2
  • Useful 6

I think it's despicable that Kody and Robyn have come up with this Meri reconciliation story to discredit Christine.  It is an obvious lie to paint Christine as the bad guy.  And it's not fair to Meri, either (though I don't care for Meri at all).  I hope Suki will call them on their bs in the next episode.

• Like 15
  • Applause 6
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, SemiCharmedLife said:

I think it's despicable that Kody and Robyn have come up with this Meri reconciliation story to discredit Christine.  It is an obvious lie to paint Christine as the bad guy.  And it's not fair to Meri, either (though I don't care for Meri at all).  I hope Suki will call them on their bs in the next episode.

Exactly the “reconciliation” is such a pathetic lie and it made it even more obvious that it was a BIG FAT LIE when Kody tried to explain his motivation for reconciling and chalked it up to a giant box of Krispy Treats! 🙄

684FC824-99A8-47FC-A228-907EF9CEE871.gif

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 10
19 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I’m not sure how old Meri is, but it seems she’s stuck on makeup application from the 90’s.  I have to resist doing that too.  It sort of dates you, imo.  Don’t get me started on brows!  🫣 lol. I’ve given up on that.  So many bizarre options.  

This. For someone who seems to try and be trendy, she’s hanging on hard to the 90s. it definitely makes people look older. 

• Like 4

Kody’s statement that his fear of being poor is the only reason he cared so much about Christine leaving. He said his fear was that a nonexistent boyfriend would take all their money.  Also, he wants and needs show income, and he doesnt want to give up what would be Christine's portion. He doesnt give a shit about giving up time with Truely. Never has.

Edited by zenme
  • Like 7
  • Sad 9
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1

I think Robyn’s statement about adultery is not well explained.  Putting it in context she probably meant that it is the only other way to be divorced since Christine did not apply to the church to be divorced. Something Christine doesn’t feel the need to do. 
However Robyn’s statement doesn’t jive with Kody’s statement about his marriage to Meri being over.  He’s not applied for divorce anywhere and Meri didn’t actually have sex with anyone. Have sex with another man  is the actual words Robyn  used. 

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Like 8
  • Love 1

I watched most of the episode last night. Kody's panting like a dog to describe his first 3 wives wanting to marry him was insulting and disgusting, and I wish the host had called him out on that. Kody really is a total asshole. 

Meri is the fly in the ointment that ruins Kody's whole tale of victimhood. Everyone has seen that he treats Meri the same way he accuses Christine of treating him. 

I found it interesting that while Christine clearly dislikes Robyn for showing up and being the favorite wife, she seems to have more animosity towards Meri. Christine's body language showed a lot more anger towards Meri than Robyn, in my opinion. I assume it's because Meri and Christine have a lot more history that involves living in the same house, while she and Robyn never actually lived  together. 

Janelle seems like a whole different person, in a good way. Janelle seems more annoyed with Robyn than Christine does, even though Janelle was willing to live in one big house with all of them. 

Do we know when this was recorded? Was it recently, or right after the season was filmed?

• Like 13
3 minutes ago, Kellyee said:

I watched most of the episode last night. Kody's panting like a dog to describe his first 3 wives wanting to marry him was insulting and disgusting, and I wish the host had called him out on that. Kody really is a total asshole. 

Meri is the fly in the ointment that ruins Kody's whole tale of victimhood. Everyone has seen that he treats Meri the same way he accuses Christine of treating him. 

I found it interesting that while Christine clearly dislikes Robyn for showing up and being the favorite wife, she seems to have more animosity towards Meri. Christine's body language showed a lot more anger towards Meri than Robyn, in my opinion. I assume it's because Meri and Christine have a lot more history that involves living in the same house, while she and Robyn never actually lived  together. 

Janelle seems like a whole different person, in a good way. Janelle seems more annoyed with Robyn than Christine does, even though Janelle was willing to live in one big house with all of them. 

Do we know when this was recorded? Was it recently, or right after the season was filmed?

A member here posted that the tell-nothing was recorded in September 2022, IIRC.  Correct me if I'm wrong?

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
24 minutes ago, Fig Newton said:

Running to the store to get Rice Krispies, Marshmallows and butter.........

I never knew this was how I could get my ex back. Not that he's worth it, but I do love Rice Krispie treats. 🤣  

Hopefully you don't have a sister wife that will throw a tizzy and thwart your plan!

• LOL 14
10 hours ago, SemiCharmedLife said:

I used to belong to a very strict Christian religion and the only grounds for an approved divorce was adultery.  This was based on Bible teachings.  Of course, if one of the partners committed adultery, that person would be facing counseling/disfellowshipping, but the partner would be able to seek a divorce.  (This particular religion had no polygamy and all marriages were legal.) 

I think that (scriptural reason for divorce) is what Robyn is alluding to, although she had a strange way of saying it, which confused many of us.  If her ex husband had another wife, she would be free to get her divorce and "marry" Kody.

Were you church of Christ ?????  Cause I was.    

• Useful 1
1 hour ago, Fig Newton said:

Running to the store to get Rice Krispies, Marshmallows and butter.........

I never knew this was how I could get my ex back. Not that he's worth it, but I do love Rice Krispie treats. 🤣  

I wonder if it works to seal the deal with a new guy or is it only effective in returning an ex to the fold?

• LOL 7
On 12/19/2022 at 7:43 AM, laurakaye said:

During Robyn's interviews I got several extreme close-ups of her face during her Dry Cries™ and to the surprise of no one, there wasn't even a semblance of a tear...yet we got this from Robyn after nearly every question: "(pause).....clears throat....(longer pause)....clenches butt cheeks in an attempt to push liquid into eyeballs...(pause)...apologizes for being unable to speak....etc."  I wish Sukanya had stood up and said, "girl, call me back over when you can talk, I'm going to Starbucks." 

Kody: "Meri made me Rice Krispie treats.  They're rilly good.  So I had a brief thought of reconciling with her.  But then she tried to kiss me and I was all, ew - cooties.  But then I ran back to my other wives and told them that I was thinking about adding Meri back into my sexytimes rotation.  Christine threw a hissy fit.  So I couldn't reconcile with Meri because Christine, the wife that I loathe the sight of, doesn't like Meri.  Get it?"  Why Sukanya didn't take off her shoe and whack his weave off is beyond me, but judging by the looks on her face every time she talked to Kody, she realized it wasn't worth the effort.  Also, Kody - keep your slimy hands off of the interviewer.  Would he have done that if it were a man doing the interview?  It speaks to his raging ego.  He's disgusting.

Christine, rocking her leather pants.  She was feeling herself.  Meri, rocking her XS burgundy jacket and jeggings?  Girl, just stop.  Robyn forgot her eyebrow Sharpie but actually looked normal.  Janelle was all, look - I am over this, ask me anything, I literally don't care.

We have two more parts of this?  For what?

Please, don't interview the kids.  Just leave them out of this sh!tshow.

You have outdone yourself!!  🤣🤣🤣

• Like 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 2