Type keyword(s) to search

S17.E15: One on One: Part 1

Scarlett45
  • Start Topic

The Brown family sits down individually to discuss the challenges they have faced over the past year. Kody and Christine give insight about their separation, while Meri learns of an instance when Kody thought about reconciling.

Air Date: December 18, 2022

I would love to know Jenelles take on the oh I'm going to reconcile with Meri story.

Kidney can't keep his lies straight. And Robyn is full of shit. Her wanting Christine and Kidney to go to therapy and how she would talk to him. Christine has been trying to work on the relationship and talk to him and he dismissed her. Or in his terms she was playing games. Yeah she was even playing games while heavily pregnant with Truly and his Kidneyship couldn't even help out with his own kids. 

And I don't blame Christine one bit for not wanting a relationship with Meri. That is no way to treat someone. 

And Kidney was all good and fine having all his wives make the money, make their own decisions and raise their kids by themselves, until it wasn't okay anymore because he said so. This dick never does shit if it inconveniences him. And all of those things did.  I don't know how the originals even stayed with him this long. They all have been doing it on their own and deserve to find a true partner instead of some dick head who says they were panting after him and all the other shit he has said. 

• Like 15
  • Applause 6
  • Love 1

I don’t understand why Meri thinks that Kody was considering her kissing him when he pulled away and got stiff as a board.  If he reacted that way, he was repulsed and defensive…..not considering it.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Like 13
  • Love 1

And likely against popular opinion, to me, Christine came off as somebody trying to sell me something. Which I find sad because regardless of who did what when, she made a smart move and left an unhappy marriage. IMO, she needs to sit there and not try and make herself some kind remarkable hero for doing something women everywhere do.

I won't be watching this episode until tonight, but I feel like Christine has spent this entire season refining her story to sell us on her version of events. I haven't forgotten about how she screamed about the joys of polygamy for years, and I don't see her as a victim or worthy of real sympathy. All 5 Brown adults are opportunists. They're all working an angle, and they all need sympathetic fans to buy the products they are shilling in their side businesses. Except Robyn, who doesn't appear to work or parent full time.

They all throw around that word "safe" too, without explaining what it is exactly that they don't feel SAFE about. It's like they've all had way too much therapy and are using all the therapeutic buzz words. It's fine if Christine doesn't trust Meri or want to be her friend, but the SAFE thing is overblown. 

Kody is still the biggest asshole though. 

• Like 9
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 5
  • Useful 3

I think Christine is defensive about the fact that she left.  She feels like the questions are an accusation, and responds accordingly.  
Meri’s body language is interesting - it’s as if a great weight has been lifted.  She seems to be more understanding of Christine’s choice.  It makes me wonder when the TH scenes in the episodes were filmed versus the tell-all.  Because she’s changed her tune in the meantime. 
Something we don’t know is where are the others when one person is answering questions. Are they backstage watching?  In a room watching?  Because having them watching would affect the interview. 

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Like 17
  • Useful 2

I hope in the next episode that the host/interviewer nails Cody to the wall for the segment regarding Gabe. I am sure Cody will try to weasel out by saying he has too many birthdays, anniversaries, and other celebrations to remember.  I hope the host does not cut him any slack and he is made to understand how hurt Gabe felt.  That is what electronic devices are made for, Cody.  This is a perfect example of why his relationships with his children (other than Robyn's kids) are falling apart. 

Anyway, that is the one piece I will be watching for because everything else so far seemed to be a rehash of prior episodes. 

• Like 11
  • Love 1
26 minutes ago, laurakaye said:

Also, Kody - keep your slimy hands off of the interviewer.  Would he have done that if it were a man doing the interview?  It speaks to his raging ego.  He's disgusting.

Exactly!!!!!!!

8 hours ago, Aspenglow said:

Has Meri ever worn clothing that isn’t two sizes too small? 

Maybe Season One! 

5d601730-82e1-34ab-bd7b-d62ebcce2117.jpeg

u5ds8ljafxx61.jpg

• Like 7
1 hour ago, Kellyee said:

I won't be watching this episode until tonight, but I feel like Christine has spent this entire season refining her story to sell us on her version of events. I haven't forgotten about how she screamed about the joys of polygamy for years, and I don't see her as a victim or worthy of real sympathy. All 5 Brown adults are opportunists. They're all working an angle, and they all need sympathetic fans to buy the products they are shilling in their side businesses. Except Robyn, who doesn't appear to work or parent full time.

They all throw around that word "safe" too, without explaining what it is exactly that they don't feel SAFE about. It's like they've all had way too much therapy and are using all the therapeutic buzz words. It's fine if Christine doesn't trust Meri or want to be her friend, but the SAFE thing is overblown. 

Kody is still the biggest asshole though. 

Good points and I absolutely agree on the way they all throw in the term “unsafe.”  I’m guessing it’s a term they picked up in therapy, but they should explain it before the show airs.  It gives the impression they are afraid of physical assault.  I don’t think that’s what they mean.  Why can’t they just say what they mean?  For example, Meri said hurtful things to me and I was wary of her continuing to be verbally abusive.  Or, Meri cheated on me and I never regained trust in her.  For me, throwing the term unsafe is lazy and gives ambiguous connotations.  

I am always aware that all the wives put out positive representations about the state of the family for years.  So, were those therapy sessions working at all?  Why the joint agreement to relocate to AZ?  I’m guessing the whole group effort was to stay on tv, no?  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Like 11
  • Applause 2
  • Useful 1

I find  it unbelievable that rice crispy treats would take him from being totally repelled by her an hour earlier to wanting to reconcile. What is he, six years old?  And even if he did decide to make it a go with her, what kind of pussy would he be if Christine lost her shit? He should explain to her the reasons why, not just back off like the asshole he is.  So much for the communication he demands from his wives.

I was kind of shocked at the beginning of the show when they flashed back to earlier days. They did all look happy and Codyvirus  was showing affection to all of the wives vs now when he won't even touch them and we see his Shakespearean soliloquies about how he fought to love them.

God, how hurtful of him to say he wasn't in love or attracted to Christine when he married her. On national tv. 

Edited by MsMalin
  • Like 15
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, 65mickey said:

What I want Sukanya to ask Kody is what to you think that Janelle feels when she sees you and Robyn living in a $900,000 house and she lives in a small apartment?  What do you think that Christine felt when she sees you fawning over Robyn's girls saying that you were devastated that you had been able to see Aurora for 10 days when you all maybe had Covid.

As much as I agree with what you are saying, we're talking about an idiot here who doesn't know the meaning of the words sympathy and empathy. There is no way he would understand how his actions upset other people. There is only one true vision of the world and what is going on, and that is his vision. So, unfortunately, it's going to be pointless to ask him to reflect on his behaviour towards others. You'll just get the same angry and accusative reply.

• Like 12

In the story about the Rice Krispie anniversary and the possibility of Meri and Kody kissing all I could think of was mykelti’s expression when Kody explained the hormonal exchange in a kiss.   Kody will never want Meri’s hormones again.  Ew!! Can’t believe I wrote this.  
not sure if safecis a time out word. I think something is not safe if it hurts their feelings or embarrassed them and “triggers” them. 

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
1 hour ago, MsMalin said:

I find  it unbelievable that rice crispy treats would take him from being totally repelled by her an hour earlier to wanting to reconcile. What is he, six years old?  And even if he did decide to make it a go with her, what kind of pussy would he be if Christine lost her shit? He should explain to her the reasons why, not just back off like the asshole he is.  So much for the communication he demands from his wives.

I was kind of shocked at the beginning of the show when they flashed back to earlier days. They did all look happy and Codyvirus  was showing affection to all of the wives vs now when he won't even touch them and we see his Shakespearean soliloquies about how he fought to love them.

God, how hurtful of him to say he wasn't in love or attracted to Christine when he married her. On national tv. 

When Kidney had the bag or rice krispie treats and ate one, he looked awkward as fuck and like he was about to take off and run away from Meri. He did not look like ohhhhhh, maybe I'll reconcile with her. He looked like he wanted to run for the hills to get away from her. So I call bullshit on his sudden change of mind.

And yes, the shit he's said is hurtful. Like dude I understand you don't want to be intimate with these women. Be up front eith them and let them be with someone who will love and cherish them. They are the mothers of most of your children and watch wtf you say. That shit is devastating to a person. And he's been a prick to Christine for years and now she's hearing that. Those words are so fucking hurtful. 

Then we have Jenelle asking Kidney if the roles were reversed would he be as upset like he was about Robyn and he never answered and got in her face with his bitch face. 

All three need to run as fast as they can away from him.

• Like 16
  • Applause 1
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, MsMalin said:

I find  it unbelievable that rice crispy treats would take him from being totally repelled by her an hour earlier to wanting to reconcile.

I thought it was the reverse order. She gave him the treats BEFORE their ill-fated car ride during which he rejected her advances. Which means the interviewer raised her hopes for a few seconds before revealing when the supposed fleeting window of reconciliation happened. And when she heard it was that day because of the rice krispie treats, she knew the whole thing was a lie because he so blatantly snubbed her on camera hours later. I felt bad for her there, because she's been holding out for any kind of dimmest ember of possibility, she's told one actually DID exist, only to realize it was just a self serving lie on Kody's part. 

The "I told the other wives I was thinking of reconciling" thing was an obvious lie, but I do think his heart was temporarily touched by the gift. First of all... a ton of his favorite snack, given to him outside of other company so he can keep it in his truck and eat it all himself. Also, I think it triggered older memories and seemed to have been given without strings attached - something that would genuinely please him. He's probably sentimental.  Later, on the car ride, he was reminded of everything else he doesn't care for and it faded.  The later invention that he was about to take Meri back into the inner circle was just to make Christine look bad. 

I know Christine comes off as phony to people. I think she's just naturally enthusiastic and earnest, and the early show propping up of polygamy was also her trying to convince herself that staying was a good thing. Now that she actually has some genuine independence and freedom I'd expect that enthusiasm to come through again in celebration.  May she enjoy it.

I haven't read their book, but have seen enough comments from people who have to have come away with the idea that Kody was extremely brutally frank in that book that he was never attracted to Christine and the sight of her eating Nachos repulsed him (or something like that). If I knew about it years ago, she had to have. So his initial disinterest in her was well established at least since that book came out. 

I'm enjoying Janelle's matter of fact acceptance, and her candid wry dismissal of Kody and Robin's spin. In the past she would be accepting of other people's positions in a conflict, but imply that everything would work out fine and it was just a rough patch that would all be worked out, no big deal. Now *shrug* "Nothing these people do or say makes sense to me. I just want my fair share."

I'd say Robyn suffers from dry eye, but I have it and the irony is your eyes water all the time! A yawn will send me reaching for a tissue, let alone defending myself on national television.

Edited by kassa
  • Like 7
  • Applause 2
  • Love 8
2 minutes ago, barshi50 said:

What? No one has mentioned that Meri brushed her hair?

My daughter has seen a couple of SW videos on Tik Tok.  She asked me, "which wife looks like a sad golden retriever?"  The answer, when I got some more context, was Meri.

• LOL 8

I did notice Meri had a different hairstyle, but couldn’t figure out the details…..it wasn’t the most flattering on her, imo.  She has nice hair, so I’m not sure what the difficulty is in presenting it.   I wonder if she was struggling to stay relevant, since the season didn’t feature her that much and it was primarily done for attention.  

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I did notice Meri had a different hairstyle, but couldn’t figure out the details…..it wasn’t the most flattering on her, imo.  She has nice hair, so I’m not sure what the difficulty is in presenting it.   I wonder if she was struggling to stay relevant, since the season didn’t feature her that much and it was primarily done for attention.  

Ugh, don't get me started on the beauty industry, "trends" and societal expectations as a whole... but I think Meri falls prey to what many do, following the latest trends. And Meri, like many, don't consider if it works for them and don't have the tools and/or talent to pull off most of the trends.

IMO, Meri looked her best with her own softer, more natural version of Kody's noodle hair. She might wanna soften the eyebrows too. And while we're at it, lighten up on the eye liner.

• Like 9
  • Love 1

For what its worth - my take on the reconciliation saga is this:

I think Kody likely had more than a few times when he considered getting back with Meri. I'm guessing at least one of those times he mentioned it to Christine and she nonconfrontationally said something like, can we work on our marriage first. I don't for one minute think any wife influenced Kody's feelings about taking Meri back though. IMO, Kody has never taken Meri back because he thinks a man, a 'real man', who has been cheated on would never reconcile. Its more important to him to be seen as a 'real man' to his male friends and males fans (lol) than to do what he wants.

So while there may have been a Rice Krispy moment and a Christine fit, IMO, neither had anything to do with the other.

Edited by GeeGolly
  • Like 19
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

I’m not sure how old Meri is, but it seems she’s stuck on makeup application from the 90’s.  I have to resist doing that too.  It sort of dates you, imo.  Don’t get me started on brows!  🫣 lol. I’ve given up on that.  So many bizarre options.  

• Applause 1
  • LOL 4
16 minutes ago, Meow Mix said:

Kody is lying outright about the reconciliation business.  It's so obvious and I am very disappointed that the host didn't press him on the whole thing.  At least she exposed the lie by asking him what the awesome gift was that triggered his desire to reconcile.  Several things I noticed about that whole mess:

• Kody first claimed it was a birthday gift Meri gave him.  The krispy treats were for their anniversary at the start of their horrible date.
  • When the host finally asked Kody what the gift was, there was a very long silence.  If a gift makes that kind of impression on you, you don't need to sit there forever trying to remember what it was.  He had to think of a gift Meri gave him and that was the only thing that came to mind.  So the lie was pretty much exposed right there.

It wasn't so much a lie as a memory issue.  Kody said it was a birthday gift that almost made him change his mind about Meri, and he mentioned the Rice Krispies Treat.  However, as we saw, the Rice Krispies treats were an anniversary gift.  About three or four years ago, for his birthday, Meri painted four pictures with 23 trees in each. He was so moved by the gesture that he thanked her in private for such a symbolic gift.  It most definitely was the paintings, not the rice Krispies gift that got to him.  However, it didn't move him enough for a reconciliation.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 9
3 hours ago, Meh said:

Didn't that AUB church kick Kody out because of the way he was treating his wives? Not equally?

I believe it was because they went public by doing the show.

Edited by ginger90
  • Like 6
  • Useful 2
  • LOL 1
18 minutes ago, Adeejay said:

It wasn't so much a lie as a memory issue.  Kody said it was a birthday gift that almost made him change his mind about Meri, and he mentioned the Rice Krispies Treat.  However, as we saw, the Rice Krispies treats were an anniversary gift.  About three or four years ago, for his birthday, Meri painted four pictures with 23 trees in each. He was so moved by the gesture that he thanked her in private for such a symbolic gift.  It most definitely was the paintings, not the rice Krispies gift that got to him.  However, it didn't move him enough for a reconciliation.

Your right, the Rice Krispies treat was an anniversary gift, and yes the paintings were very thoughtful and symbolic, but really? He was so touched by a gesture he couldn’t remember what the occasion was, he couldn’t remember the paintings when asked? 

I’m sure Meri is hell to live with, especially with the other wives, Christine and Janelle are much more personable, can be light hearted  and have a zest for life. Meri, like Robyn, is miserable most of the time, which may be why they get along. 

Well, there you have it, my armchair psychology, for what it’s worth. I do think living with a nutcase like Kody would drive anybody nuts.

• Like 12
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 2
2 hours ago, barshi50 said:

What? No one has mentioned that Meri brushed her hair?

I can't figure out what this woman is trying to do with her hair. It usually looks like a rats nest with too much crunchy gel in it. Kind of like Kody's. It's worse when she wears it straight like last night. You can really see the damage. I think she's perming it. It's always in horrible dry condition which amazes me because in the photo's of her younger years with Kody she had beautiful long, healthy hair. 

They ALL looked awful last night in their Walmart clothes. Hey, nothing against Wally World. I shop sweaters and cute T shirts at Walmart sometimes but I think I would step it up a bit if I was being filmed for TeeVee. Hair, makeup, clothes, everything. Dreadful! That includes Kody. His hair was the worst I have ever seen it. They all had too much powder on their faces which made their skin look dry and lifeless.   

P.S. I never liked Rice Krispie Treats. Any idiot can make them and if I was forced to eat them they better at least be the ones made with chocolate rice krispies.Lol!

Edited by bichonblitz
  • Like 6
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

I've been a therapist for decades and have many therapist friends, coworkers and colleagues. The word safe is not a typical therapy word, at least not in these parts, unless its about suicidal ideation, homicidal ideation or domestic violence.

The only thing I can think of that makes sense to me is a therapist may have suggested the use of a time out word, a word that signals a conversation or situation is too much in the moment. Having a time out word can stop or slow a conversation down without a long explanation and without laying blame. Most of my clients go with the phrase time out, with or without the hand signal. That way it can be used in any situation, not just with spouses and kids. I suggest to my clients they use a word that will make them laugh as it helps to release tension and resets the atmosphere. One of my clients was married with 3 teenage kids at the time. They hilariously settled on the word scrotum. I almost peed my pants when my client told me a story of when her daughter, the only girl, was fighting with a brother. The daughter was growing increasingly frustrated with her brother and yelled out - labia.

Using the word safe is full of blame and likely triggering. Safe, IMO, is not a safe (lol) time out word at all. It figures that is the word the Browns would agree on.

From my years of watching this show and other polygamy shows and reading about the Mormon religion in general I suspect that the "safe" word is part of their religion language.

Kinda like Kody's "run their will into mine"... He uses this term and then can't actually explain it when asked.

However with the Browns..."safe" has taken on its own life and seems to actually mean many different things.

• Like 8
  • Useful 2

The thing with people like kody, they are not worth the effort it takes to communicate. His bloated ego and insecurities frame everything, and will not allow any deviation from his perspective. There will never be an apology, heck there isn’t even an acknowledgment.

All heil the king, or else spin, gaslighting, outright lies, anger, temper tantrums, revisionist history, emotional banishment.

I also found the most interesting comment he made was fear of being poor. Looks like he may have to face his fear-don't see a TLC kody robin show in his future. Jenelles comment while in her little bedroom that "kody likes nice things" may be put to a test. Time to live within your "real job".

• Like 14
  • Applause 4
  • Love 1

That was some new bombshell information that Meri told last night: she wanted to go public about their marriage being over but Codyvirus nixed the idea because he didn't want to deal with the public reaction to it.  Yes Cody, you ARE a coward. Everyone has been on Meri's ass for sticking with you when in reality she wanted to announce a split but you didnt. Yet the only thing that scares you is being poor. No, your ego will let you make people live in misery because you don't want to look bad. You are trying to gaslight everyone but you are so busted.

• Like 13
  • Applause 6
  • Love 1
36 minutes ago, itsadryheat said:

The thing with people like kody, they are not worth the effort it takes to communicate. His bloated ego and insecurities frame everything, and will not allow any deviation from his perspective. There will never be an apology, heck there isn’t even an acknowledgment.

Khaos Kody is scary good at spewing a cacophony of nonsense so thick, no one can parse it out, including himself.  I wanted Sukanya to try, but where do you even begin to unravel the spider web of crap that is Kody's brain?  He manages to double and triple talk over himself in a way that I don't think I have ever seen before on teevee.  

30 minutes ago, MsMalin said:

That was some new bombshell information that Meri told last night: she wanted to go public about their marriage being over but Codyvirus nixed the idea because he didn't want to deal with the public reaction to it.  Yes Cody, you ARE a coward. Everyone has been on Meri's ass for sticking with you when in reality she wanted to announce a split but you didnt. Yet the only thing that scares you is being poor. No, your ego will let you make people live in misery because you don't want to look bad. You are trying to gaslight everyone but you are so busted.

So many things....he didn't want to go public with his and Meri's breakup?  But it was on television.  Did he mean social media public?  And yet, he point blank says that if Meri wants to ride off into the sunset with a banana, he's cool with it.  BUT!  Don't announce it publicly!  Even though they already did, on tv!  And then there's Meri who supposedly wanted to go public at one point but is still hanging onto this guy by the thread of her split LuLa leggings, so which is it?  You wanted to announce a public breakup but you're not going anywhere?  These two are basically the same person, and then throw the Dark Queen's evil whisperings into the mix, it's a wonder that any of them remember their own names sometimes.

And Kody?  If poverty is the only thing that scares you, you might want to get Sol and Ariabelibla working on tagging up all of Mommy's Precious Moment/Willow Tree figurines for the inevitable massive garage sale you're going to be having in a few months to pay the mortgage on the mansion, 'cause your TLC gravy train is coming to a swift end, you moron.

• Like 12
  • Fire 2
  • Applause 4
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
52 minutes ago, Roslyn said:

From my years of watching this show and other polygamy shows and reading about the Mormon religion in general I suspect that the "safe" word is part of their religion language.

Kinda like Kody's "run their will into mine"... He uses this term and then can't actually explain it when asked.

However with the Browns..."safe" has taken on its own life and seems to actually mean many different things.

The run their will into mine, someone please tell me wtf he was talking about. Or is he saying that no matter wtf they wanted, it was his way or the highway. 

But once again before Robyn came along, he just let them do whatever and didn't want to be bothered with anything to do with the hard stuff. He just wanted it all handled by them so he could bounce his way around and be the fun parent.

• Like 10
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1