Type keyword(s) to search

Down Home Fab - General Discussion

• Start Topic

“Teen Mom 2” meets HGTV in “Down Home Fab,” starring MTV series alums Chelsea and Cole DeBoer. "We have a design business showing clients how to take risks and go bold with their design," said Chelsea. "Life with Cole, our four kids and our business is all I've ever wanted. This is what I want to do forever." The series premieres Monday, January 16.

Chelsea has zero background in design. Didn't she drop out of high school? Did she ever finish her GED?

I can't image what advice she will be giving, probably while wearing ripped jeans, a flannel shirt and a knit hat.

• Like 2
  • LOL 2
On 1/10/2023 at 11:56 AM, applewood said:

Chelsea has zero background in design. Didn't she drop out of high school? Did she ever finish her GED?

I can't image what advice she will be giving, probably while wearing ripped jeans, a flannel shirt and a knit hat.

If I remember correctly she went to school to be an esthetician or something? Or maybe hair? She used to work in a salon. I believe she did makeup too. They were one of the first TM to actually buy a normal house so maybe that gives her the authority to be a designer now. She bought a lot of junk on Amazon and her house is pretty so voila, she’s an interior designer. I also remember their house always being dirty and messy too. Which always surprised me that people go on tv and let all their grossness fly free. 

• Like 1
On 1/10/2023 at 11:56 AM, applewood said:

I have no problem with that. There are a lot of people out there with design degrees who I wouldn't let near my sons' doll house (and he's not even particular!). 

• Like 3
  • Love 4

They way she described her "design aesthetic". Basically parroting every other hack on HGTV.

But I presume they got the show based on the number of social media followers they have. 

I'm skipping this one just like I skip all of Christina Whatever-Her-Current-Last-Name-Is's shows. 

Please, HGTV, don't completely become a bastion of mediocrity. 

• Like 8

Watched a few minutes of a Brother vs. Brother episode a couple days ago. (No idea if it was a new episode or rerun.)

One of the real estate expert judges was Kendra Wilkinson.

Maybe she is, and I'm dead wrong in this assessment, but ...

If this is the level of "expert" a show is resorting to use, isn't it time to put it out of its misery?

• Like 1
  • LOL 3

They are super boring.  They go in a room and say we are going to paint this wall such and such color, and do a little of this or that, and on and on.  She has no qualifications so I assume her contractors do most of the work and planning and she paints a few things.  The way that HGTV dumps new shows so easily, I am hoping they dump this one asap.

• Like 2

They should acquire the rights to the Rolling Stones' Paint It Black for a theme song.

Seriously I did not like the whitewash of the fireplace. Would love to have seen that room finished but with the natural stone remaining. 

• Like 3
2 hours ago, TeenMom69 said:

They should acquire the rights to the Rolling Stones' Paint It Black for a theme song.

Seriously I did not like the whitewash of the fireplace. Would love to have seen that room finished but with the natural stone remaining. 

Yes, the before looked much better than the after!  I felt that way in a lot of the spaces they did.  It was clear to me she lacks a lot of polish in her design.  I also didn't like how their whole thing is about pushing people's boundaries, but then they painted most of the walls white-ish like most of the HGTV shows.  Whew, that is pushing some boundaries there to paint the walls white and throw some animal rugs on the floor.  

• Like 1

Having shelves that open on the sides above a stove? That's a food splattered, greasy mess waiting to happen. Open concept, tear out half the cabinets in the kitchen. Who needs storage? Antelope skin carpet and mustard yellow chairs, a teal/green lamp, and alligator wall paper accents?  Her color choices are terrible. Slap black paint on everything and toss in a bunch of unmatched other color accents. Everything goes with black, right? The fireplace looks terrible "whitewashed". It came out more like a half-assed paint job. What's with the 47 cords of wood stored in the wall by the fireplace? Someone hoping they only have to make 1 trip outside for firewood all winter?

No practicality or personality or taste.

• Like 2
On 1/22/2023 at 2:08 PM, Lurk said:

Having shelves that open on the sides above a stove? That's a food splattered, greasy mess waiting to happen. Open concept, tear out half the cabinets in the kitchen. Who needs storage? Antelope skin carpet and mustard yellow chairs, a teal/green lamp, and alligator wall paper accents?  Her color choices are terrible. Slap black paint on everything and toss in a bunch of unmatched other color accents. Everything goes with black, right? The fireplace looks terrible "whitewashed". It came out more like a half-assed paint job. What's with the 47 cords of wood stored in the wall by the fireplace? Someone hoping they only have to make 1 trip outside for firewood all winter?

No practicality or personality or taste.

I thought the same about the shelves by the stove. 

Episode two… they are so bold, not.  They painted everything white again, there is a hodgepodge of accessories that are just meh.  The floor plan turned out very strange as well.  I think they just lack the necessary skills.

Edited by alexa

Could you imagine being someone who went to school and/or spent their careers learning about design and construction etc, sitting back watching this show and thinking how unfair the world really is? These two are ridiculous and should just stick to having babies on camera. They spent half the episode ooohing and ahhhing over painting a wall of windows white. Granted it looked nice, but your big reveal was “look, we painted your house white and installed some ugly sink that my famehwhore dad carried in on camera”. That Randy, never met a cameraman he didn’t like. 

Their design skills are right up there with those two grifters in Michigan. 

• Like 2
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1

They really brought some 'wow' to the dentists home.  Love the way they made the fireplace pop!

I know she got this gig from Teen Mom notoriety and I know the city knows she's Randy the dentists kid but she's come so far from Teen Mom show!  She's happy and she's trying at something she's good at.

I think she's the only one to make something of herself.

Giving credit where credits due!

• Like 7
8 hours ago, Jeanne222 said:

They really brought some 'wow' to the dentists home.  Love the way they made the fireplace pop!

I know she got this gig from Teen Mom notoriety and I know the city knows she's Randy the dentists kid but she's come so far from Teen Mom show!  She's happy and she's trying at something she's good at.

I think she's the only one to make something of herself.

Giving credit where credits due!

Yeah, I like Chelsea and am glad she is trying to succeed in a way that makes her happy.  

You forgot about dear Farrah Abraham, who has made a name for herself, not a very nice reputable one, but a name nonetheless.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1

One thing that bothered me about the dentists kitchen was the grain on the cabinets didn't match up. That might just be me.

But good for her for succeeding in this. She and her family seem happy.

Edited by edie3
  • Like 2

I liked the arch for the bar area, and it echoed the fireplace arch which worked. But I disliked the arches in the bedroom. And worse, by adding the bed/bath open arch they reduced the separation between bath and bedroom - a huge pet peeve! The sinks were wide open to the bedroom, and It looked like the shower was nearly adjacent.

Edited by Cancun
  • Like 1
On 2/5/2023 at 7:13 PM, Gam2 said:

Who are these people? What credentials do they have? Why should we watch this show?

Well you know they are stars from Teen Mom, and you know they bought their own house and made some decisions on how to decorate it, so now they are like experts at it.  ya know...  They are going to stretch people past their limits and paint all of the rooms white like the rest of the shows on the channel, so they qualify as designers.  And there you have it!

Edited by alexa
  • LOL 6

Have to say this kind of bums me out.  I thought  / hoped it would be a one time thing, but they got a 2nd season.  I don't mean to be hard on these two--it is just that for me it waters down HGTV quite a bit by having them be considered HGTV designers.  Not that HGTV didn't have its issues already, but I am pretty sure most of their ratings are just from their Teen Mom following. 

https://www.hgtv.com/shows/down-home-fab/articles/hgtv-renews-down-home-fab-for-a-second-season

• Like 3
  • Useful 1

I am so happy for them getting a second season!  Nobody ever expected to see anything good come out of Teen Mom!

I do believe Chelsea saw her daughter struggling with teen mom.  She quit the show for all of their sakes.

Daughter seems Sooo happy now!

• Like 1

I liked Chelsea from Teen Mom but I find her annoying that she says "I am stressed" in every episode and honestly her designs are boring and bland and I guess her favorite color is black since she puts too much black in her designs making it dark, I think she needs someone to teach her better design but I want to know how she got her design taste from? As for her husband, he turns me off, he seems like a creep or something so I do not know what Chelsea sees in him

Edited by DVDFreaker
  • Like 2
9 hours ago, DVDFreaker said:

I liked Chelsea from Teen Mom but I find her annoying that she says "I am stressed" in every episode and honestly her designs are boring and bland and I guess her favorite color is black since she puts too much black in her designs making it dark, I think she needs someone to teach her better design but I want to know how she got her design taste from? As for her husband, he turns me off, he seems like a creep or something so I do not know what Chelsea sees in him

I normally like Chelsea and I don't mind Cole but she was unbearable last night.  I agree that she really needs to go to design school.  She kept going on about how bold her design choices were, but they were all black.  The cedar stuff on the outside of the house looks like when someone's father-in-law retires, takes up woodworking, and pushes all his projects on to family members who are forced to display them.  If I'd have been playing a drinking game and would have taken a drink every time she said farmhouse I would have needed an ambulance. 

• Like 2
  • LOL 2

I just fast forwarded to the end of the last two episodes, and just have to agree she is lacking in design skills.  It is clear in every reveal.  And she goes on and on in the reveals… I wanted to do this, I wanted to do that.  She is trying so hard to look legitimate.  

• Like 4

I have been watching this show (I wanted to know what South Dakota design was...LOL) so until today I had no clue they were from another show (never watched Teen Mom).  I don't mind them that much but I was wondering where her vocal fry came from - do people in South Dakota talk like that?  Is she a wanna be Kardashian?

They do have some cute children and animals.

• Like 4
On 2/9/2023 at 12:51 AM, Jeanne222 said:

I am so happy for them getting a second season!  Nobody ever expected to see anything good come out of Teen Mom!

I do believe Chelsea saw her daughter struggling with teen mom.  She quit the show for all of their sakes.

Daughter seems Sooo happy now!

I caught an episode of this on vacation and thought it was cute. It’s not my aesthetic , but I do see some design and creativity here. I’m happy for Chelsea and Cole too. 

But this show could be 22 min rather than 45- show me the before, tell me about the client’s life, show me the after. Flip or Flop did it in 22min. I thought the same thing about Christina in the Country.

Also- Watson has a mischievous grin. The kids are so big now!

• Like 4