Type keyword(s) to search

Inside The Actors Studio - General Discussion

• Start Topic

It was on this weekend too? I caught it on Thursday. I feel like it was, originally, either 90 minutes or 2 hours, but the version they showed Thursday was an hour.

It was a little tough to watch now. 

Loved the Neil Patrick Harris interview, but I actually wish James had spent a little more time talking with Neil about his experience playing Doogie Howser. He was only 16 years old, leading a show, and I really loved him as Doogie. I think they did it a disservice by simply treating it as if it was "Doogie was an underage doctor by day, horndog teenager who wants to have sex with his girlfriend by night..." That's really not what the show was for me when I watched it back then. 

The first season or so I felt like I was watching an acting class.  The questions were fascinating, and I felt like I learned so much about the craft.  I loved it!  Then, as the seasons continued and the caliber of guests lessened, I felt like I was watching a really long promo for whatever movie the guest was promoting.  By the time James got to Julia Roberts I realized he had completely run out of anyone who had anything meaningful to teach to the students.  I don't know that I have watched more than a handful since, which makes me sad because for awhile I counted the days for the next show.

• Love 2

I moved to NY in about 1994, and I audited this class at the New School.  Sally Field was the first guest.  It was awesome.  Lipton was not yet so full of himself.  I took the class for a few semesters, but they pushed the non-degree students out when the show became known.

• Love 3

Went on the Wikipedia episode list, and would wish to see, in addition to the senior British classical actors with crossover appeal that they've actually managed to snag, the following obvious names: Kenneth Branagh, Judi Dench, Patrick Stewart. And if they're going to do repeat visits, how about trying to get Sondheim back, since it's been more than 20 years?

• Love 2

I hope it will be available at some point on Netflix or another streaming service, because I no longer have cable or U-Verse so I don't have access to Ovation.

I love this show. The discussions are so fascinating! I hope that no matter who takes the hosting baton, they will continue to close out the program with the Bernard Pivot questions. That is a CLASSIC staple and should not change. 

• Love 1

Was that Ellen Burstyn in the audience? Right after the Barry clip?

I did not like the student asking the Questions at the end. I did like Henry answering student questions and teaching them. He was great with them.

Those chairs looked very uncomfortable.

Edited by chitowngirl

Without Lipton this is almost unwatchable. He had a way of asking questions and keeping the actor on track so we understood their craft. With this new format I notice the actors just ramble on and on, and maybe it’s because they have other actors interviewing them that maybe they don’t want to be too forceful or interrupt but the interviews just aren’t focused. I really wanted to hear from Pacino but he just kept veering so far off track that he lost my interest and Godfather is one of my top 5 favorite films. It may be time to retire this series if they can’t find a permanent host that knows what they are doing. 

• Love 3

I finally watched (or started to watch) the Pacino episode.  I made it half way through.

I don't think the fault necessarily lays with the interviewer.  For all we know Lipton let the guests ramble on and on.  This falls on the producers.  The Pacino episode needed to be edited severely and wasn't.  

• Love 1
On 11/4/2019 at 4:36 PM, sadie said:

Without Lipton this is almost unwatchable. He had a way of asking questions and keeping the actor on track so we understood their craft. With this new format I notice the actors just ramble on and on, and maybe it’s because they have other actors interviewing them that maybe they don’t want to be too forceful or interrupt but the interviews just aren’t focused. I really wanted to hear from Pacino but he just kept veering so far off track that he lost my interest and Godfather is one of my top 5 favorite films. It may be time to retire this series if they can’t find a permanent host that knows what they are doing. 

THIS, THIS, THIS.  I find the rotating hosts super annoying and the show has lost all sense of continuity.  The Pacino episode was a complete wreck, IMHO.  Lipton did have a way of getting things out of his interviews whereby it felt new and refreshing, and helped us understand the actors.  This setup now just feels like a bunch of "fan-girling or fan-boying" for the sessions.

• Love 2
(edited)

In honor of James, I asked my friends and family to fill out the James Lipton / Bernard Pivot questionnaire (if they want to). Some really interesting answers so far! ❤️ 

Some of those questions were tougher for me to answer than I thought.

Edited by sinkwriter