Type keyword(s) to search

The Rig - General Discussion

NotChristine
  • Start Topic

“The Rig” follows the crew of the Kinloch Bravo oil rig stationed off the Scottish coast in the dangerous waters of the North Sea. When they are due to be collected and return to the mainland a mysterious and all-enveloping fog rolls through. The rig is hit by massive tremors, and they find themselves cut off from all communication with the shore and the outside world. Soon, the crew will be driven to the limits of both their loyalties and their endurance, into a confrontation with forces beyond their imagination.

Full season available on January 6, 2023 on Prime Video.

Stationed on the Kinloch Bravo Oil Rig in the treacherous waters of the North Sea, just off the coast of Scotland. A crew is waiting to be collected and returned to the mainland, when a mysterious and all-encompassing fog rolls in cutting off all communication with the outside world. A series of tremors, accidents, and other unexplainable incidents drive a wedge between their allegiance to each other.
Iain_Glen_.jpg
Iain Glen plays Magnus, an Offshore Installation Manager of the rig and leader of the crew

Emily_Hampshire.jpg

Emily Hampshire plays Rose Mason, the scientist and oil company rep, a fresh face on board the rig
Martin_Compston_2.jpg

Martin Compston plays Fulmer Hamilton, Communications Officer

Rochenda Sandall plays Cat Braithwaite, Medic

Owen Teale is Lars Hutton, Head Driller

Richard Pepple is Grant Dunlin, crew boss
MV5BNmE3NmU2MTAtM2FjZC00M2I0LTk1NDgtYTY2
Mark Bonnar is Alwyn Evans, Deck Foreman

Calvin_Demba.jpg

Calvin Demba plays Baz Roberts, Drill Hand

Emun Elliott is Leck Longman, rig mechanic

Abraham Popoola is Easter Ayodeji, rig crane driver

Stuart McQuarrie is Colin Murchison, Head Chef

Molly Vevers plays Heather Shaw, roustabout  

• Like 1

I thought this was a remake of Rig 45 for some reason so planned to skip it because I didn't like the way that story played out. Now that I know it's an original and has a pretty impressive cast, I'm really excited for it. A mystery with potential supernatural elements in an isolated setting is my favorite type of story and exactly what I need after the news of 1899's cancellation.

• Like 2

The Rig Season 1         January 6, 2023       Prime Video   

Episodes 1-6       Titles and Descriptions

Spoiler

S01.E01: Episode 1
71rJqE31QaL._SX536_.jpg
When the Kinloch Bravo’s crew find themselves stranded on their production platform, first when their chopper is diverted and then by a mysterious fog that affects the entire oil field, rig boss Magnus’ attempts to find a practical solution are thwarted by a horrifying accident and a growing sense of unease onboard.

S01.E02: Episode 2
81HdAdI+XzL._SX536_.jpg
The appearance of the rig’s Stand By Vessel raises hopes of escape in the team – leaving geologist Rose until sunrise to try and work out the scientific nature of the mysterious ash onboard before the crew abandon ship and make a break for it. But with tensions running high, some are compelled to take the situation into their own hands, with serious consequences.

S01.E03: Episode 3
81VjiUr+pZL._SX536_.jpg
With Baz missing and presumed dangerous, the crew split into groups to search the production module and find him, and Rose takes the painful decision to isolate Fulmer. But as Rose makes a perplexing breakthrough, the manhunt becomes more frightening and mysterious when the crew are hit by power failures and paranoia, and they discover things that push them far beyond their comfort zone.

S01.E04: Episode 4
71RZl1n9XCL._SX536_.jpg
Baz and Garrow get closer to understanding their mission when they explore the pump control room, and realise they need Fulmer to help them – leading to painful consequences for Fulmer as he struggles to keep a grip on his sanity. When the crew’s anxieties rise as a glimmer of potential hope turns sour, Magnus finds himself losing his grip as tensions amongst the group reach fever pitch.

S01.E05: Episode 5
81k47M5g23L._SX536_.jpg
The new arrivals on board from the Kinloch Charlie immediately make their presence felt, as Pictor head Coake enlists a group to undermine a weakened Magnus and force their way to the pump control. But when Coake’s motives are investigated and the crew realise he isn’t giving them the full truth, they find themselves locked in an urgent race for answers with lives at stake.

S01.E06: Episode 6
(Season Finale)

81JIJRWLktL._SX536_.jpg

Scores are settled and mysteries revealed as Coake is pushed to explain Pictor’s plan and the true reason for his mission onboard, Rose and Fulmer work out the horrifying extent of what the coded messages they have discovered really mean, and Magnus must put his personal demons to rest and lead the crew in one final bid for their survival.

• Useful 1

I just finished the first episode and found it kind of disappointing. I don't like Rose or her subplot and really don't like the way Emily Hampshire is playing her. Owen Teale's hotheaded Hutton is also annoying, though I do think it's funny that this seems so like his Game of Thrones role from what I remember. And Baz's plight seems similar to a lot of other sci-fi/horror stories where a mysterious force takes control of its first victim to do its bidding.

I was expecting this to be at least compelling enough to binge over the weekend, but I'm not sure I'll bother even though it's only 6 episodes.

• Like 4

Just finished it.
It is starting promising and I like the isolated location. Also the cast is stellar.

But then somewhere in the middle it is getting lost in a maze created by its own ambition.
The dialogues are not good and some of the characters have been taken straight from the "Museum of All Cliche TV".

Spoilers follow, although they do not spoil  much, since most of it is revealed quite early.

Spoiler

At the beginning I thought it was about an ecological disaster waiting to happen. 
But then the supernatural/science fiction starts and it is a tad confusing one.
As far as I understood, there is a supreme natural entity (from now on I will refer to it as... IT)   that protects the planet by causing extinction events through the billions of years of its existence.
So IT, thinks it is time to wipe out people since, well, they are indeed destroying the planet.
(Although I am not sure who was destroying the planet 65 millions years ago, dinosaurs's poo?)

So IT, starts from "contaminating" the oil fields of the north sea, basically trying to cause a Megatsunami like the "Storegga Slide" that happened in the same area thousands of years ago. Or something. At the same time it can contaminate humans using them as hosts (not sure why...).

And then, here comes the weakest part of the story: the Evil Oil Company's Villain. Or something (he might not be a company man but just a secret agency man).
This character alone built a new hall in the "Museum of All Cliche TV". The way he talks, the way he acts, the way he breaths. HE IS AN AWFUL CARICATURE.  He thinks he can terminate IT by some procedure ..but the Rig people do not let him cause they think they can persuade IT to behave by sweet talking to it. Or something.
At the end they all escape with helicopters that they do not go back home but somewhere else (wise decision since home is wiped out by the megatsunami - yes sweet talk did not work). The end. 
Yes, we have a cliffhanger. THAT WE DID NOT NEED. 

Overall it is not bad but it is not particularly good either. Still, it kept my interest to binge watch it in two days, but the end wasn't satisfying and I am not sure how they will manage to justify a 2nd season (if there will be one). 
The good cast helps, except the Full Monty guy who is really awful.

20 hours ago, krankydoodle said:

really don't like the way Emily Hampshire is playing her

She is getting better in the next episodes.

Edited by Zaffy
  • Like 3

I thought the show was awesome, but I agree Emily Hampshire was the weakest link. There were episodes where she wasn't terrible, and others where it was like Stevie Goes to an Oil Rig. 

At the other end of the spectrum, I thought Mark Addy as Coake was sensational. Good writing for the character too. You hated Coake, yet his arguments were compelling, impossible to disregard.

• Useful 1