Type keyword(s) to search

Social Media Sites & Apps (Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, TikTok, Tumblr, Etc.)

Just Here
  • Start Topic

A thread to discuss and ask questions about various social media sites/apps.

FYI:  Twitter may delete "inactive" accounts in the near future.  As of now, this is just a pronouncement without any specific details regarding what qualifies as an "inactive account".   However, Twitter's "User Guidelines" essentially defines a non-active account as one that hasn't been logged into for over six months:

What is Twitter's inactive account policy?
We encourage people to actively log in and use Twitter when they register an account. To keep your account active, be sure to log in at least every 6 months. Accounts may be permanently removed due to prolonged inactivity.

How does Twitter determine inactivity?
Inactivity is based on logging in. Please note that you may not be able to tell whether an account is currently inactive, as not all signs of account activity are publicly visible.

If you have an account that you haven't used in a while and would like to keep, it would be a good idea to log into the account (and perhaps even post a tweet or two).  Also, make sure that the account is connected to an email address that you check regularly.

Here's a link to a UPI article about the possible mass deletion, in case the above Insider article is paywalled.

• Useful 1
3 hours ago, Just Here said:

A thread to discuss and ask questions about various social media sites/apps.

FYI:  Twitter may delete "inactive" accounts in the near future.  As of now, this is just a pronouncement without any specific details regarding what qualifies as an "inactive account".   However, Twitter's "User Guidelines" essentially defines a non-active account as one that hasn't been logged into for over six months:

If you have an account that you haven't used in a while and would like to keep, it would be a good idea to log into the account (and perhaps even post a tweet or two).  Also, make sure that the account is connected to an email address that you check regularly.

Elon Musk do something useful with his purchase? That'd be a change for the better. I wasn't able to get my preferred screen name when I joined. Someone had it and wasn't bothering to actually do anything with it. Considering that it was a word I made up, I was a little taken aback. But I was able to chuck a letter and underscore on the front. Thankfully, I joined mastodon early enough to get the proper name.

Twitter is working pretty badly for Australia today. Very frustrating. Apparently one of the data centres was turned off, or whatever the official term is. Even though it was in America, it might have been one that dealt with Aussie traffic.

I don't get it. In my head, the best way to handle costs would be improve service and bring people and advertisers back, instead of slashing twitter to ribbons and driving people away.

Of course, I do use adblock. I might be part of the problem. If advertisers ever learned that less intrusive ads were better than more obnoxious ones, I might be prepared to turn it off.

• Like 1

So, Instagram and ads. All was going well a couple of weeks ago until they started putting ads in the videos up top. I started claiming they were offensive. My account was suspended. Fine, create a new email account and sign up to everyone again. This time, I managed to avoid the ads. And they suspended my account again! I didn't do anything dodgy, I just didn't interact with the ads. Maybe that's enough. They have to force everyone to see this irrelevant nonsense. Has that been anyone else's experience, or am I just unlucky?

I made a new email account. I signed up to IG again. This time it was straight from sign up to account suspended. I didn't have a chance to post anything dodgy. They wouldn't even tell me what I apparently did wrong. Since I don't want to tell them my phone number, so much for that attempt.

So why do I want to get back on IG? Many celebs I like share pretty or interesting pictures. Am I shallow? Yes. But still. I just wish they'd tell me why.

• Like 1
On 4/30/2023 at 6:04 PM, Anduin said:

So, Instagram and ads. All was going well a couple of weeks ago until they started putting ads in the videos up top. I started claiming they were offensive. My account was suspended. Fine, create a new email account and sign up to everyone again. This time, I managed to avoid the ads. And they suspended my account again! I didn't do anything dodgy, I just didn't interact with the ads. Maybe that's enough. They have to force everyone to see this irrelevant nonsense. Has that been anyone else's experience, or am I just unlucky?

Adblock no longer works on instagram, when I log in with a browser. I've had ads in the stories, for a long time, and I hate it. I've blocked the pages of things like that greens supplement that everyone sells, and they are paid to post something like eight stories, and an IG post. Even blocking the page didn't stop the ads in between stories. I just don't watch them when it comes to the people I follow, suddenly posting glowing reviews again. 

On facebook, I've had times when I snoozed too many groups and pages, according to them, so I lose those privileges for a while. I hardly spend any time there now, because it's annoying. 

• Useful 1

Apparently he's going to change the name of twitter to X. He's already bought the domain name. Combine that with everything else he's done and it's very much Ship of Theseus, if each new plank was worse than the one it's replacing. From pine to plywood or something.

Anyone have a spare bluesky invite?

Does anyone have any suggestions to help with  for trouble logging in to FB?

My Dad was using the FB account fine, then FB suddenly went down in his area for about a day. Now, it’s up, but he can’t log in. It says there is no such account. Tried searching by name and email.  It doesn’t work.  One of his neighbors has the same problem!

We’ve tried recovering the password, but it won’t work.  We know the account email address and password are correct, because we wrote them down on the ipad box when it was opened and we have the emails in the inbox from FB.  This is so frustrating.