Type keyword(s) to search

S1 E11: The Last Dance

JayDub1987
  • Start Topic

An arrest is made in the murder; Albie is desperate for the family to come together; Jamie opens up about his past to Nicky; Kayla goes into early labor; Gigi airs the Romans' dirty laundry; Catt continues to oppose Ace and Ana's friendship.

Based on multiple websites, tonight will be the finale. There were some reports that we would have a 12-episode season, but it looks like it's 11. We all know that this show has brought out maximum levels of snark from most of us (and it's been a blast). I believe we'd all be shocked to hear that there's going to be a Season 2. If this is the end, I want those of you who have hung out with me on the PT forums to know that I've truly enjoyed our conversations about what will one day be remembered (by at least 6 people) as one of the worst music-based dramas of all time. Here's to a finale that doesn't completely suck! 

• LOL 1
  • Love 5

Well, unless FOX surprises me, I'm guessing this will be my last live reaction post to one of the corniest, cheesiest, most shark jumping shows I've seen. It's been fun, folks. Let's do it big one last time...FOR DOTTIE! 

• Wow. An arrest to open the episode during a concert. Probably the move interesting first 3 minutes of any episode so far.
  • OK, I know the whole Jamie's dad being the guy who got killed when Albie took the fall for the Trip is a little over the top, but I'm so desperate for something interesting to happen on this show that I kinda like it. 
  • I'm assuming this leads to Jamie helping the Romans set things right by tearing down Trip. 
  • I'm not sure pretty boy Luke would be able to throw a punch, but I suppose this is the whole family rallying together. 
  • Ok, the preview kinda gave us the early labor thing, so we knew this one was going to happen.
  • UH OH! Doctor outed the affair! Maybe I'm just off my game, but I didn't think that bombshell was gonna drop 9 minutes in. Those two still have the chemistry of jalapeno peppers and Listerine, but at least the story is a little interesting tonight. 
  • "Cruise" 2012. 10 y/o song, which still lands on the newer end of the spectrum. *Sigh I'm gonna miss these trips down musical memory lane. 
  • So, Gigi is more angry at Nicky for covering up the affair than she is at her wife and brother for bumpin' nasties behind her back. Because...sure. 
  • We're 11 episodes in and this is the first real conversation we've seen Albie have with his grandkids. I think they probably missed out on the opportunity to "humanize" him a bit in this area. I can't say much, because this is the first time I've thought about it, too. 
  • Well...looks like Nicky will, in fact, be denied. 
  • I still need to check on ordering a bottle of this special Monarch bourbon. Might as well see if it's any better than the show. IF (and I know it's a huge IF) there is a second season, I'll probably need a bottle to get through it. 
  • Well, I guess we're ending the season (or the show) with a rebellious teen storyline. I still don't care at all about Ace and Ana, so....yea. 
  • "My Heart's Song" 2019. We're getting really new. 
  • I'm also not a legal expert, BUT, if my understanding is right, Albie wouldn't be going to prison after he turned himself in. He would be lodged in a county jail pending a trial. But hey, details. 
  • Alright, I'm even more certain that Jamie is gonna help clear Albie. 
  • Guess we're gonna trot Dottie's bitter sister back in for the send-off. I still feel like they're trying to make us feel bad for Gigi as far as her career goes, but I just don't. 
  • "Stronger" Kelly Clarkson, 2011. Holy crap, I just realized how old I feel. 
  • Convenient that Gigi takes the stage for a surprise appearance and has choreographed dancers ready to roll. Oh! And the well-timed pyro! 
  • OH! Not how I expected Jamie to make things right with the Romans! Holy crap, they pulled out all the big guns for the finale. I wish they had thrown more swerves like this into the series. Is it all stereotypical, over-the-top nonsense? YES. But they put a lot of boring episodes out there. Something of this level would've been fun. 
  • So..."I'm not Jamie, I'll hit back." Proceeds to not hit back. 
  • Well, Nicky finally gets her tour. For whatever reason, they chose to make that the underlying storyline of the entire season. Feels kinda underwhelming, but I guess they're tying up the loose ends with her and Gigi. 
  • Trace Adkins covering a Kacey Musgraves song from 2015 is not how I thought things would wind up. 
  • I guess Dottie's bitter sister telling Gigi to not trust Nicky was supposed to set up some potential drama for the Season 2 that we probably won't get. 
  • Ahh! Kat and Jamie are in this together?! I should have put together soap opera troupe #3473461834 where everyone who hates a particular family somehow knows one another. 

Well folks, I suppose that's all. They really did make the finale the best episode of the season. That both somehow feels like a slap in the face for the 10 episodes that we muddled through, and a reward for dealing with 10 episodes of Roman family stupidity. If there's a season 2, I'll probably see some of you here. If there isn't, I've enjoyed the sarcastic banter that we've tossed around. It's been a blast. 

• Love 2

Thank you for hosting the "party." I was really expecting another visit from Dottie. So, all anyone has to say is "tour" and all is forgiven, right, Gigi? Maybe Luke and Kayla will get together once the tour bus leaves. I think, if there is a second season, we will see that the conditions for Nicky to have her "Undeniable Tour" would only be if Gigi was part of the ticket - NOT Nicky's condition.

Oh - and the reason for the impromptu choreography and fireworks being ready is that Gigi pulled the same trick that Nicky did. It was all set for Nicky to perform and Gigi just scooted out there first. Just like when Nicky "stole" the Dottie song that Gigi was going to sing. LOL - they are repeating the same tricks within 11 episodes?

And, yeah, at this point, who cares who Jamie is??? Catt is expendable so I am sure there are enough empty graves around that she can just fall in one and no one would notice.

And it might be interesting if Albie and Marcia Cross hooked up, although I just don't see it. He always looks dirty and she looks like that would disgust her.

• Love 2

@JayDub1987, looks like we are the last ones here to turn the lights out. It is official that the show has been cancelled. It was nice snarking with you (and the others). I saw some comments posted on a site where they posted the cancellation and you would have thought this was the end of the best show ever written. People were gnashing their hands and swearing that this was the ONLY program they have ever loved and that another channel MUST bring it back to answer all those cliffhanging questions. Oh, and the acting was fabulous!!! I guess they didn't post here with us.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
14 hours ago, Retired at last said:

@JayDub1987, looks like we are the last ones here to turn the lights out. It is official that the show has been cancelled. It was nice snarking with you (and the others). I saw some comments posted on a site where they posted the cancellation and you would have thought this was the end of the best show ever written. People were gnashing their hands and swearing that this was the ONLY program they have ever loved and that another channel MUST bring it back to answer all those cliffhanging questions. Oh, and the acting was fabulous!!! I guess they didn't post here with us.

I was just coming here to share the official word that it was over. Again, I truly enjoyed the conversations that we had regarding this trainwreck of a TV show. 

• Love 2

I enjoyed hate watching this show and am kind of sad it actually got cancelled.  

Not one character on this show is close to being even remotely likable.  Even the kids were irritating.  

Bye Bye Monarch.  Don't let the cancellation hit you in the ass.......................

• Applause 1
  • Love 1

I 1000% expected that bus to explode for the season finale cliffhanger.  

So the song that Nikki and GiGi decide to sing to pay tribute to their dad is…a Kelly Clarkson bop.  Okay, sure.

They did get a genuine laugh out of me with Gigi saying that Nikki was “choreographing a cover-up like an Alvin Ailey show.”  That is 100% a line by the writers showing off their references and 0% a line GiGi would actually say.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, gaPeach said:

I enjoyed hate watching this show and am kind of sad it actually got cancelled.  

Not one character on this show is close to being even remotely likable.  Even the kids were irritating.  

Bye Bye Monarch.  Don't let the cancellation hit you in the ass.......................

I did too. As much as I mocked it (I may have gone overboard a couple times), I will actually miss certain aspects of it. Primarily, talking about it with you all. 

2 hours ago, Lethallyfab said:

So the song that Nikki and GiGi decide to sing to pay tribute to their dad is…a Kelly Clarkson bop.  Okay, sure.

They did get a genuine laugh out of me with Gigi saying that Nikki was “choreographing a cover-up like an Alvin Ailey show.”  That is 100% a line by the writers showing off their references and 0% a line GiGi would actually say.

An exploding bus would have been awesome! I didn't even think about it. 

• Applause 1

What’s up with Luke not going to meet Kayla’s baby?  That was a choice. And like so many other choices I never have to think about it again. 

Been fun being terrible tv buddies with you all.  And I shall to lament the lack exploding busses. 

• Love 3

I didn't have a chance to watch this last week - started a new job and then figure skating's Grand Prix Final was far more important to me than this stupid show, so I finally caught up with it tonight and wrote my thoughts as I watched.  I'll read everyone's comments after I make this post, lol.

LMAO – as if the cops would come to Albie’s farewell concert and arrest him publicly…

Oh, soap opera trope #165971648 – Jamie the avenging angel for his dead daddy’s death at the hands of a drunk driver…

Ha – okay, I appreciate Luke giving us soap opera trope #165971649 by punching Jamie after his confession to the Romans, lol.

Albie’s for sure got some plan, not that I expect it to make any sense because when has anything on this show ever made any sense?  The writers just pull whatever they want out of their asses to serve their current plot needs.

Haaaaa…  And, now, we’re onto soap opera trope #165971450 with Kayla going into labor early and the OB-GYN letting it slip to Gigi that Kayla’s 2 months further along than she thought…

Oh, God…  Gigi Angry at Nikki scene #2174 in a show that has had exactly 11 episodes.  “Get the hell out of my life, you horrible sister who never puts ME first!”  I’d ask everyone who rolled their eyes at this scene to raise their hands, but I know it’s all five of us still watching this stupid show.

Gay BFF fashion consultant/hanger on and Gigi conversation…  Great, now Gigi’s gonna go off and exact more revenge again against the family she resents…  Gigi really is an awful, spite-filled narcissist.

Albie with Ace & Tatum (I’d forgotten about her and didn’t know who the blonde next to Ace was in the opening scene, lol)…  Well, that was nice for that scene to remind me about Nikki’s daughter.

Nikki getting the bad news that her tour is being put on pause.  And she retaliates by calling off the merger.  Heh.  You know, Gigi really is a fool.  She’s too stupid and short-sighted to recognize that spilling all of the Roman secrets to the Skyfair lady is gonna put an end to the gravy train she’s been riding her entire life. 

No idea what the point of the Jamie/Nikki scene was.

And now, we’ve got Ace & Ana.  Oh, boy, Cat just caught them together.  And now Ana’s going all rebel girl on mama, lol.  Soap opera trope #165971650 check!

Awww, Gigi’s crying to Albie.  I see how she’s gotten through life, with that sad, pouty face and doe eyes.  She is always the wronged party, in any situation.  Did it ever occur to her to wonder why her wife cheated on her?

Roman kids confrontation in the foyer.  Uhm, no, I’m sorry, but there’s no way that this li’l ol’ pissing match would have been resolved by Daddy coming in and reminding them he’s going to jail in 8 hours.  Yup, Gigi’s being her usual, stubborn, immature self.  If this show gets renewed, can we have her killed off at the start of next season, please?

Albie & Jamie…  Ohhhhh, Jamie’s sorry and changed his mind because, of course, Albie’s music sessions.  Is this show actually tying up loose ends?

Nikki on the phone with some chick named McKenzie Gates, scheming.  Well, since Nikki is certainly the smarter of the Roman sisters, I’m sure this will be better than whatever shit Gigi does.

Nellie spills to Gigi before the show that Nikki’s got McKenzie Gates coming to see the show and give her a tour.  Good God, I just can’t with this show.  Nellie’s working out all of her resentment toward her dearly departed sister, Dottie, through manipulating Gigi.  This is just…  So, stupid beyond words.  But Gigi is stupid enough to fall for it because, well, Gigi is a self-centered idiot.

Albie talking to the audience and Gigi storms on stage while Nikki stands off stage…  And now, we’re gonna get a duet duel, because why not let Nikki come out on stage in an outfit that does not have nearly enough support for a woman of her age.  You know, if either Dottie or Nellie had really given a damn about either of those girls, they’d have packaged them as a duo act 20 or 25 years ago when country music was all about great female groups.  But, nooooo…  Instead, these two middle-aged broads are squabbling over a big break that is never gonna come for either of them.

And now, Tripp shows up to arrest Albie in the middle of the concert and we still have 20 minutes of this show to go. 

Oh boy…  well, that was not the twist I saw coming, but good on Albie.  Knew he was up to something.  So, was the rest of that random conversation with Jamie them figuring out how to get Clive’s body onto Tripp’s property so that Jamie could then call in an anonymous tip?  Because, if it was, it’s dumb.  What kind of Sheriff and deputies don’t recognize freshly disturbed dirt and debris/brush/leaves on the ground? 

Back from commercial break and Jamie confesses to Nikki, lol.  But, yeah, you are that dumb, because helloooooooo…  Freshly disturbed dirt at the gravesite.  Gah.  And I don’t even want to discuss the alleged blackmail funds found in Tripp’s bank account.  Because…  Either these Roman idiots stumbled into the truth, that Tripp WAS the one blackmailing Dottie all that time, or…  No, nope, not gonna go down the road filled with all those plotholes…

Luke & Albie…  Oh, here’s another resentful child scene.  LOL.  Okay, Luke punching Albie was great and amusing.  Albie had that coming. 

Nikki begging McKenzie to back her tour and we cut to commercial break, and I’m sure when we come back, Gigi will be waving at her from the door of that private jet because that’s soap opera trope #165971651 we haven’t seen yet.

Oh, nope, we have Albie visiting Skyfair lady and telling her to give Luke a fair chance. 

And now, we have Luke apologizing to Gigi, soooooo, nope, Gigi wasn’t on that plane.  Color me surprised. 

Bleh, no, we’ve got Gigi at the hospital with Kayla and the new baby – a boy!  And Gigi leaves with nothing resolved.

Nikki and her kids…  Apparently, Tatum’s going to traipse along on the tour with her mom, while Ace is gonna stick around and keep an eye on Albie, but he, clearly, is suggesting that Ana be the opening act. 

Hey now…  The writers actually figured this shit out and are gonna have the Roman sisters tour together.  If that was the point of this entire season, it was way too much of a convoluted hassle for any of us.

And I guess the season is closing with a Trace Adkins song about family…

Ugh, one last interaction between Nellie and Gigi…  She’s a real menace, I must say.

Oh, no, we don’t end with the song, we have the reveal that Jamie’s been working with Cat?  And she’s still angry and vengeful, apparently…  And the last scene is Nikki thinking all is well while Gigi is plotting her next foolishly idiotic move to destroy her sister for no good reason.

Please, don’t let this stupid show get renewed.  I like Joshua Sasse too much to want him saddled with another season of this steaming pile of poo.  Seriously, I might need to bingewatch Galavant again to remind myself what he can do with great material.

• Applause 1
On 12/9/2022 at 10:53 AM, Lethallyfab said:

On 12/9/2022 at 1:29 PM, JayDub1987 said:

An exploding bus would have been awesome! I didn't even think about it. 

I did!  I didn't comment on it while writing up my review of the series finale, but I totally thought that might happen as we saw that bus winding along the highway in the moonlight.

On 12/9/2022 at 5:13 PM, Retired at last said:

An exploding bus was such a wasted opportunity. Then we could have had someone be injured with amnesia (maybe Nicky) and Gigi would make her the back-up act until Nicky remembers that she was supposed to be the UNDENIABLE star. Oh, so much potential.

Well, see, now, that would require a second season, which, thankfully, we're not getting.  And competent, creative writers, which this show never had.  

Heading off to my YT account to reminisce about the good ol' days when Joshua Sasse was on a show with competent, creative writers...