Type keyword(s) to search

Shrinking - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On 2/24/2023 at 8:15 AM, shelley1234 said:

I'm with Gabi that there is no way that Tia wouldn't have told her if she was going to leave him.  I didn't see Gabi and Jimmy hooking up though.  Ugh.  That's not gonna be messy as fuck or anything.  

Jimmy needs to be in actual therapy, not just hanging around with all of his therapist friends with horribly shitty boundaries. 

Also, look at Sean having an actual boundary with Alice.  In this show that is shocking.... 

I hate when shows, comedy or not, throw in sex for sex sake to appeal to a part of the watching public. That hookup wasn't needed, couldn't they just stay close friends? He's done enough mistakes. Then telling his daughter and having to elaborate on the sex act? I laugh a lot but not at that. Messed up is fine, that messed up by both of them isn't.

We have a running line in the medical practice I work in that any odd doctor, eccentric, etc is a psychiatrist or psychologist. One time someone was so quirky, my coworker googled his name and he was a shrink at a large teaching hospital. Not always of course but they are working out a lot of their own issues while helping others.

I loved Sean doing that, I thought, a touch of sanity. They all go day to day without any thought it seems on their actions but Sean is the mature one.

• Like 4
21 hours ago, love2lovebadtv said:

I think Liz and her husband are probably older than Jimmy and his late wife. 

I like Jason Segal in this. But I really love Harrison Ford. I couldn't see him doing a traditional sitcom but this grumpy, insightful comedy style suits him. 

I actually am starting to like Harrison more than Jimmy. He seems normal and relatable. Jimmy is all over the place and has tried so many things with his wife's death that are horrible and a year later is just starting to think maybe he needs help. When Paul had his daughter come, I knew what would happen. He wants to connect, but she lives far (of course) and he'd have to leave his friends, his home and the last of his independence. I can't see that arrangement working well with no gradual segue. I see her point too, stay away until you are so bad, you need full time help. It's hard but relatable. I just don't feel it with Jimmy although it's a comedy, he just seems so messed up to be helping others.

• Like 2

I know that that the therapists on the show would be in deep ethical doo-doo for how they behave, but it is just storytelling. As a lawyer, I can’t watch legal shows without yelling at the tv how unrealistic something is and I’m sure doctors and police officers have the same reaction to shows portraying their professions. I wonder if Bob Newhart ever got flak about his psychologist character’s behavior.

The thing that made me cry in this episode was the look on Brian’s face after his father turned down being his best man. Well done, Michael Urie! I hope that wasn’t based on any actual experience.

• Like 8
2 hours ago, Good Queen Jane said:

I know that that the therapists on the show would be in deep ethical doo-doo for how they behave, but it is just storytelling. As a lawyer, I can’t watch legal shows without yelling at the tv how unrealistic something is and I’m sure doctors and police officers have the same reaction to shows portraying their professions. I wonder if Bob Newhart ever got flak about his psychologist character’s behavior.

The thing that made me cry in this episode was the look on Brian’s face after his father turned down being his best man. Well done, Michael Urie! I hope that wasn’t based on any actual experience.

I just watched that a few minutes ago. I thought the same but very real. Some traditional/religious parents come along but slowly. The fact he is there and likes his partner, is more than he had hoped. The honor to stand up with him....well I hope he changes his mind but if not, he is there sitting with his mom.

I knew a coworker who's mom accepted her relationship with her partner but marriage made her cringe. Many years later when daughter was very sick, she realized how it didn't matter and wedding was planned with her. I like that they make some things realistic.

• Like 3

Derek won this final episode for me. Thought he was so funny that first half! Just as I was thinking the show was nicely wrapped up and would've been fine without a second season, we get the boop! Guess there will be ramifications next season...

• Like 9
52 minutes ago, AheadofStraight said:

Derek won this final episode for me. Thought he was so funny that first half! Just as I was thinking the show was nicely wrapped up and would've been fine without a second season, we get the boop! Guess there will be ramifications next season...

They planned well.  If they didn’t get a renewal, they could just clip that part out. 

• Like 2

Who the hell is Liz -- besides being played by the show runner's wife -- to tell Paul how to run his business?

She's not just some nosy neighbor hovering over Alice and befriending Jimmy's friends and coworkers.  She's got almost as big a role as Segel and Harrison Ford now.

I guess if Christa Miller did all that plastic surgery for him, her husband HAS to put her in as many scenes as possible.

It's not believable that Gaby would be close to her or that Alice wouldn't ignore her -- or for that matter Paul and all the older adults, instead hang out more with her peers at her age.

But they just have to wedge her into all these scenes so she has all these unbelievable relationships with different people, who are generations younger.  It's jarring almost every time she appears on screen because her presence seems forced a lot of the times.

It's odd, she wasn't bad on Scrubs or the short appearance on Seinfeld.  Her scenes were limited and she played this unattainable woman who browbeat men who were supposedly awed by her beauty or something.

She wants to butt into Sean's thing, even if she agreed to come on as investor.  She brags that she earned that money by raising their kids and being great at sex.  Maybe she should have had a career because she sure is restless and wanting to get involved in everyone else's business.

Those sexy shoes looked tacky.  Gold with heels that looked like dollar signs?

Alice is moping about moving on from mom.  She hangs out with adults all the time.  Why isn't she doing her Goth phase, because she can be joyful too, like that ending wedding dance scene -- of course shows get the cast to dance (choreographed and rehearsed) as an easy way to brighten up a series.

Jimmy's been trying to convince his patient that her boyfriend is abusive and she should leave him.  She faked a break up until she was caught so little by little, he helper her see what an asshole he was.  So she attempts possibly a murder on her bf -- at a minimum an assault?

Is that an improvement?

• Like 1

I thought this was a nice season finale. Ted McGinley didn't have much to do this season but made the most of what he had. The bachelor party gave me severe deja vu though, I'd swear I'd seen some other TV show where they played cornhole to pick the best man.

I really liked Jimmy's speech although it started out so cringe. He and Alice looked so happy dancing together at the end.

I wonder if the Heidi Gardiner character will blame the push on Jimmy which will result in either a criminal charge or an ethics investigation.

I was thinking along those same lines, except I'm betting the boyfriend wasn't killed, just seriously injured. And that he'll be the one to sue Jimmy and/or the practice for encouraging his girlfriend to push him off a cliff.

I wonder if Bob Newhart ever got flak about his psychologist character’s behavior.

I remember reading that he said psychologists told him they loved the show. But if you remember they never really showed him trying to give advice or counsel much, it was mostly just his patients acting goofy and him reacting to them. I think they were pretty careful not to get too far into actual counseling for that reason.

• Like 3

Having finally got caught up on this show (mostly) this week, I think it's a fun enough watch and definitely one of Apple's better shows. 

That said, I do feel it was a bit overhyped. 🤷‍♀️ I found the dialogue a little too witty and wrote, though there was a good balance of humor and and grief/trauma. Some characters were way too sitcomy, like Liz and her husband and Brian. 

I really liked Harrison Ford's character, Sean, and Gaby (for the most part). Honestly, the trailer made the show seem funnier and lighter than it ended up being. Maybe dramedy is not my genre, but that seems like 90% of what Apple is producing right now.

• Like 4
8 hours ago, Good Queen Jane said:

I wonder if the Heidi Gardiner character will blame the push on Jimmy which will result in either a criminal charge or an ethics investigation.

I’ve seen enough shows with fake out fantasy or dream scenes that I was fully expecting them to walk that back. I guess we’ll see next season?

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

I’ve seen enough shows with fake out fantasy or dream scenes that I was fully expecting them to walk that back. I guess we’ll see next season?

Yeah I was thinking that it was a bit too broad even for this show. I think either it won’t be that big of a fall, or like you said have it be a dream sequence. 

8 hours ago, DEL901 said:

They planned well.  If they didn’t get a renewal, they could just clip that part out. 

Shit, I would've left it in anyway. It showed the character's growth and everyone could just assume what would happen next.

• Like 2

I heard so much praise for this show, I finally watched ep 1 today and it was SO boring and stupid. And not one bit funny. Christa Miller was the only redeeming factor about whatever this tried to be. I don't know if I should stick with it or just give up, feeling very conflicted right now.

16 minutes ago, Harvey said:

I heard so much praise for this show, I finally watched ep 1 today and it was SO boring and stupid. And not one bit funny. Christa Miller was the only redeeming factor about whatever this tried to be. I don't know if I should stick with it or just give up, feeling very conflicted right now.

I was meh at first but it grew on me as it went along. I guess it depends on what your competing options are. If there are other things you definitely want to do or watch, go for that. If you’re looking for a show you might enjoy to fill your downtime, this could be it for you. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I really liked Jimmy's speech although it started out so cringe. He and Alice looked so happy dancing together at the end.

I thought it was incredibly inappropriate of him to bring up his dead wife, but then it made sense when he said that she had introduced the grooms.

Regarding the ending, I'm 99.99% percent certain that when Grace is arrested, the first thing out of her mouth will be "my therapist told me to do it" and the second season will deal with the fallout of that.

• Like 7
7 hours ago, chocolatine said:

I thought it was incredibly inappropriate of him to bring up his dead wife, but then it made sense when he said that she had introduced the grooms.

Regarding the ending, I'm 99.99% percent certain that when Grace is arrested, the first thing out of her mouth will be "my therapist told me to do it" and the second season will deal with the fallout of that.

I agree.  When she was telling him about the eggs and her fantasy about pushing the guy off the cliff, he was happy/supportive because he thought it meant she was ready to stand up for herself, not commit murder.

• Like 3
14 hours ago, Harvey said:

Since all the episodes are available now you have the option of binging, so I'd say give it a couple more episodes. It's one of those things that has to grow on you. I wasn't bowled over by it at first but by the end I really liked it.

• Like 4
53 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Since all the episodes are available now you have the option of binging, so I'd say give it a couple more episodes. It's one of those things that has to grow on you. I wasn't bowled over by it at first but by the end I really liked it.

Ditto

16 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

I was meh at first but it grew on me as it went along. I guess it depends on what your competing options are. If there are other things you definitely want to do or watch, go for that. If you’re looking for a show you might enjoy to fill your downtime, this could be it for you. 

1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

1 hour ago, DEL901 said:

Ditto

Yeah I watched the whole thing yesterday.

I wish the show spent more time on that guy who complained about dating shallow women. In episode 3 we see him do better in dating after his therapist makes him realize what he is doing wrong. All of this happens in maybe 45 seconds of screen time, but that would have been a very compelling storyline about self-reflection and getting out of your bad patterns if we were allowed to see it.

I will say, Liz was my main reason for sticking with this show. She is an absolute delight and that "rock tumbling" hobby sounds very interesting. I wish we got some close-up shots of the finished rocks she creates, I am sure they look beautiful.

• Like 3

This is the kind of show that I don't think too much about, but enjoy watching (or sometimes hate watching 😁). It kind of reminds me of Somebody Somewhere, Life and Beth, Sort Of, Better Things, etc., where the characters are a bit too cool and quippy to be real, and often make improbable and unrealistic choices that somehow work out or don't have too many consequences. It's not terribly realistic, but I can still appreciate the characters in their TV world. 

• Like 7
  • Useful 1
3 hours ago, TVbitch said:

This is the kind of show that I don't think too much about, but enjoy watching (or sometimes hate watching 😁). It kind of reminds me of Somebody Somewhere, Life and Beth, Sort Of, Better Things, etc., where the characters are a bit too cool and quippy to be real, and often make improbable and unrealistic choices that somehow work out or don't have too many consequences. It's not terribly realistic, but I can still appreciate the characters in their TV world. 

Ooh, interesting. I’ve watched three of those four. Apparently I should check out the fourth. 

FWIW I posted a while back on Sort Of:

It would probably appeal to people who liked Everything's Gonna Be Okay, Maybe Better Things, Shrill, Please Like Me, Dollface...  Awkward family stuff, non-"mainstream" characters.  IMDB says it's a comedy, but it's definitely not a LOL comedy.

I can see how Shrinking could be in the same bucket. 

Edited by SoMuchTV
Can't figure out how to insert a quote box on my phone so added it later on pc.
  • Like 2
7 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Same, we watched week by week and the first two didn’t make me feel like I wished they had all dropped at once. But by the third one I really started liking it.

• Like 1

I think of a show like Better Things, which was lavishly praised.

Shrinking isn't that different, though the antics on Shinking just isn't believable the way real people would talk with friends and co-workers, unless they were on shrooms or something.

They show scenes from life and a bit of their working lives, just like BT did.  The co-workers are just too intertwined in their personal lives though.  I can see occasional social gatherings but it appears they see each other almost every day outside of the office and not only that, Jimmy's colleagues are hanging all the time with Alice and Liz and now they throw Sean into the mix, a patient.

No such things as boundaries.

Maybe that's deliberate, they don't compartmentalize like the rest of us have to.  I can't recall if Paul knows Jimmy and Gaby slept together or that they're continuing to sleep together.  Some employers are okay with that but in a small office with a handful of colleagues, that has to be potentially messy.

5 minutes ago, aghst said:

I think of a show like Better Things, which was lavishly praised.

Shrinking isn't that different, though the antics on Shinking just isn't believable the way real people would talk with friends and co-workers, unless they were on shrooms or something.

None of the characters on Shrinking annoy me nearly as much as the daughters on Better Things did, not even Liz.

• Like 4
  • LOL 2
11 minutes ago, chocolatine said:

None of the characters on Shrinking annoy me nearly as much as the daughters on Better Things did, not even Liz.

Holy Crap Batman, you are 110.5% correct there. I had to stop watching that show because the daughters were so completely horrible.

• Like 4

Sometimes shows start off good and then fall off or if you give them a couple of episodes get better. I am watching last one today but it was fine for filling in as someone said when I was multi-tasking and didn't need the "only thing I'm doing" right now attention. The neighbor got to annoy me after thinking she was funny and I agree, it's way too unbelievable his daughter wants to spend that much time with them. Even alone trumps the neighbor. ; )

I like Ted Lasso and don't love every episode but something always draws me back in. I think I just would love his character in real life so other annoying things are pushed down. I like Harrison Ford so I ignore a scene or two that makes me cringe.

So many shows on Netflix and Amazon, I started out liking, Workin Mom's, Grace and Frankie, Good Girls. Some I watched past season 3, some I just couldn't. I will see Workin Mom's end whenever it comes back, but the beginning to me was the best. Grace and Frankie, I just couldn't. Watched the last to finish it in my mind.

I love Call the Midlwife, but that's not a sitcom and not for everyone but kept me waiting every year for new episodes. (season 12 now)

We have so much now to pick from, and so much is not the quality it should be and they don't care because another is right behind. I'm glad Shrinking had me coming back at least, wish it was just a little bit better with such good actors.

• Like 5

The neighbor doesn’t bother me as much as she seems to for everyone else.  I can see Alice spending time with her because she has been the one motherly constant for her in her grief.  Her world revolved around Alice for that year.  Is she someone I would want to hang out with?  Nope, but then none of them are (with the exception of Paul’s doctor as she’s been portrayed so far).

• Like 5

I enjoyed this show and laughed a lot throughout. I did find that a little of Liz went a long way. Also the way her and Gabby became so close so quickly and all the “love you” crap seemed a bit over the top as did Liz demanding a letter of recommendation for Gabby.

Overall though I found it pretty entertaining. 

• Like 4

I like 99% the main characters, & secondary and tertiary roles.  I can’t take much of Christa Miller or her character.  I find Liz unfunny, aggressive, abrasive, overly intrusive and just unlikeable.  I think the actress isn’t a great performer, never liked her in all of her husband’s other shows.  She should stop with the fillers and the eye lift surgery ASAP.  The fillers must have done something to her facial muscles because she sounds like she has difficulty speaking certain words. 

Can we please get a show put together with Jessica Williams, Ayo Edebiri, Quinta Brunson & Janelle James immediately? And Sheryl Lee Ralph can be their mom?

• Like 3
On 3/24/2023 at 11:57 AM, aghst said:

It's odd, she wasn't bad on Scrubs or the short appearance on Seinfeld.  Her scenes were limited and she played this unattainable woman who browbeat men who were supposedly awed by her beauty or something.

Well she also played Ellie on Bill Lawrence’s Cougar Town (criminally underrated show IMO), and it’s basically the same exact character she’s doing here. An asshole with a soft spot. I love her though, so I don’t care. It does remind me of the Judd Apatow/Leslie Mann dynamic, and I wonder if they’re kind of playing themselves. 

I'm in a weird minority because I love everything that Lawrence has ever made EXCEPT Ted Lasso. I like that the Shrinking characters are complicated, and a little bizarre, and like people I’d want to know in real life. 

Edited by RedInk
  • Like 2

I just binged this, and overall I enjoyed it and found it very watchable. I nonetheless have a lot to complain about. 😄

Around episode 8, the dialogue suddenly just got to me. The way that almost all of the characters were constantly mocking each other and gloating became unbearable all at once. It hit me that the style of writing was phony and contrived and repetitive, on top of being obnoxious. 

Liz was awful, for the reasons so many have already mentioned. (You're not just "a lot" and "opinionated," Liz, you're insufferably smug.) In the early episodes, when she was helping out so much with Alice, I thought maybe Liz wasn't the same character Christa Miller always plays - but no such luck. (You'd think Bill Lawrence would want to show the world that his wife can play something other than snarky and venomous, but maybe she can't?) Derek telling her that she needed to get out of the house was the best part of the season.

I really didn't care for Brian, either. The "everything goes my way" thing was cringe, and the way he wanted to propose was horrifying. When he described himself as "human Zoloft" i was thinking, "No, you're just a narcissist."

Another problem - I just didn't buy a lot of the relationships. Gaby was too cool for this crowd. Why would she want to spend so much time with Liz, of all people? She would have a ton of cool friends her own age. And I can't buy her being overtaken by romantic feelings for Jimmy at the wedding, either.

As much as I appreciate them showing that a straight guy and a gay guy can be friends, I didn't buy Jimmy and Brian as BFFs, either. They had nothing in common.

Then there's money. Jimmy's lifestyle was over the top. His wife was a stay-at-home mom. I know there are some therapists who make very good money, but I didn't buy this schlub being so successful in his early 40s that he'd be able to afford that gazillion dollar home and poolhouse. I wish there had been a line about him or his wife being a trust fund baby.

One other thing I didn't buy - Sean being 22.

On the plus side, it was great seeing Harrison Ford do deadpan comedy. Jessica Williams stole every scene she was in, and Derek was a ray of sunshine. Alice's friend Summer was great, too - I wish we could have seen more of her. The VA housing line was the funniest thing I heard all season.

In the end, it seemed like almost everyone's story had been told. The only threads hanging were Grace, and Gaby wanting Jimmy. I have to wonder if this would have been better as a miniseries.

• Like 5
  • Useful 1
3 hours ago, Blakeston said:

I have to wonder if this would have been better as a miniseries.

The great thing about the medium that is television is that anything can be a miniseries if we watch it that way 😂

• LOL 3
(edited)
On 3/31/2023 at 9:13 PM, Blakeston said:

On the plus side, it was great seeing Harrison Ford do deadpan comedy. Jessica Williams stole every scene she was in, and Derek was a ray of sunshine. Alice's friend Summer was great, too - I wish we could have seen more of her. The VA housing line was the funniest thing I heard all season.

In the end, it seemed like almost everyone's story had been told. The only threads hanging were Grace, and Gaby wanting Jimmy. I have to wonder if this would have been better as a miniseries.

I watched it over 4 days and I agree with most of what you said too. I think Harrison saved it for me, the scenes with him were funny but more "real". I didn't like Gaby and Jimmy, too pat, too forced in a way and I thought being good friends with his wife, it was a little creepy (although that same thing happens)I don't see her wanting him that much and just using him like a vibrator to suddenly think "hey maybe he isn't uncomplicated" Bleh.

I don't know Liz very well, she's the wife of the producer? She's funny in small doses, some shows make the mistake of using the comic relief too much. Did she have plastic surgery, I find myself looking at her and something seems "off". Not important but it's distracting for me oddly.

Edited by debraran
  • Like 2
On 4/2/2023 at 7:01 AM, debraran said:

I don't know Liz very well, she's the wife of the producer? She's funny in small doses, some shows make the mistake of using the comic relief too much. Did she have plastic surgery, I find myself looking at her and something seems "off". Not important but it's distracting for me oddly.

Yes, she's the wife of the producer, and she's clearly had a lot of work done. Her face is just as smooth as it was 20 years ago on Scrubs - but the bottom half of her face is drastically different. It's very distracting.

• Like 4
On 3/31/2023 at 11:57 PM, Corgi-ears said:

The great thing about the medium that is television is that anything can be a miniseries if we watch it that way 😂

Or a 10 hour movie (which is what I tell myself when I binge)  

• Like 1

We finished it last night, so I can finally read here. I absolutely loved this show! I laughed so much, especially at Gaby and Harrison Ford. I love that all of the characters showed growth by the end....well, except for Heidi Gardner's character! The wedding was just lovely. Even Brian's Dad grew in his acceptance of his son. I'm looking forward to Season 2.

• Like 4

Finished it, but I'm torn. There are a lot of funny moments and heart warming moments. All of the characters have scenes where I like them, and then scenes where I don't. Overall, it was good, but......

Most of the shows I watch are TV-MA, so it's not like I am clutching my pearls over here, but I am in that minority that just found the constant f-bombs and crude remarks too much. They all talk like I would expect Alice's teen friends to speak, not middle aged professionals. I just don't like that much casual profanity for no reason, and it's so constant on this show that I find it distracting and unpleasant.

Derek is my favorite. Every moment he was on screen was delightful.

Was just waiting for the patient to push her bf over the cliff - you just knew it was going to happen.....

Glad someone finally explained to Paul what "raw dog" means, although I think that joke could have gone on longer if they wanted as I will never not laugh at Harrison Ford saying that phrase inappropriately to Liz....

(edited)
3 hours ago, Ilovepie said:

Finished it, but I'm torn. There are a lot of funny moments and heart warming moments. All of the characters have scenes where I like them, and then scenes where I don't. Overall, it was good, but......

Most of the shows I watch are TV-MA, so it's not like I am clutching my pearls over here, but I am in that minority that just found the constant f-bombs and crude remarks too much. They all talk like I would expect Alice's teen friends to speak, not middle aged professionals. I just don't like that much casual profanity for no reason, and it's so constant on this show that I find it distracting and unpleasant.

Derek is my favorite. Every moment he was on screen was delightful.

Was just waiting for the patient to push her bf over the cliff - you just knew it was going to happen.....

Glad someone finally explained to Paul what "raw dog" means, although I think that joke could have gone on longer if they wanted as I will never not laugh at Harrison Ford saying that phrase inappropriately to Liz....

My husband (who normally isn’t bothered by language) said he thought all the f-bombs were just not realistic, that they wouldn’t all talk to each other like that all the time. And it makes sense, normally, not everyone you interact with uses the same type to language - at least not everyone I talk to doesn’t use “f” every other word.

1 hour ago, Eureka said:

Sorry, something weird happened when I tried to edit.

Edited by Eureka
  • Like 1

I guess my friends and I are all just potty mouths. I don't even notice the swearing on this show. Or, the only time I notice is when Alice swears at Jimmy cuz though I always swore like a sailor, and learned at my granddaddy's knee...it didn't fly around my mom. Still doesn't. 

• Like 8
1 hour ago, DEL901 said:

I wrote the f-bombs off to effing Roy Kent being one of the creators and writers.  

Yeah, and I do watch Ted Lasso and honestly Roy Kent's entire dialogue many times is just "Fuck". And that doesn't bother me because it fits the scrappy crabby footballer who grew up on the wrong side of the tracks. But these bougie middle age people? I don't buy it. It doesn't enhance the show or the dialogue for them all to talk like that, in fact, it was a big distraction for me.

• Like 3

I didn’t think the language was realistic at all until my husband watched a couple episodes of the golf documentary.  Those golfers seem quite attached to the f-bomb.

1 hour ago, Crs97 said:

I didn’t think the language was realistic at all until my husband watched a couple episodes of the golf documentary.  Those golfers seem quite attached to the f-bomb.

Well, I think all bets are off in sports, especially golf - my husband said he was never as frustrated playing any sport the way he was with golf! ;-p