Type keyword(s) to search

Shrinking - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I liked how Gabby realized she was sloppy seconds for Paul since he wasn't speaking to Jimmy and told him to get out of her office. And that Sean finally opened up a little to Paul just to piss off Jimmy. But I don't really feel like anyone is doing a good job treating Sean's PTSD.

I wish Alice would cut her father some slack. I realize he's been an absentee parent for the last year but damn, she's cold. 

The character of Brian doesn't really fit very well. Apparently Jimmy ghosted him for a whole year after his wife died, and now it's like he's been there all along without missing a beat. Was he still seeing Gabby a lot even while Jimmy was avoiding him, and how would that have been possible if Jimmy wasn't avoiding Gabby?

• Like 3

I acknowledge that Liz really stepped up and was there for Alice when Jimmy was...Jimmying.  And yet, she annoys me immensely.  I've never had strong feelings against Christa Miller as an actress, but she's not working for me in this.  When Gabby, Brian, and Liz went for the walk, and Brian blurted out, "And why is Liz here?" I was like, "Exactly! Please go kick those rocks you love so much."  I can't remember the last time a character got on my last nerve so quickly in a show.  Derek can stay.    

And on a lighter note of annoyance, I'm also over Sean.  I guess I missed the show establishing his age, as I thought it was super weird that he cajoled Alice to skip school so he could vent.  The actor presents as late 20s, so Sean is coming off super immature to me.  Plus, he's staying at Jimmy's presumably rent-free and could stand to be a TAD more gracious.  I know Jimmy is a lot and should never have crossed that boundary, but no one forced him to move in, either. 

I think this was the first episode we saw Gabby interacting with patients?  

• Like 2

I really would like Jessica Williams and Harrison Ford to go find a better show together - solve crimes, be on a morning TV show, run a coffee shop. Drive around and sing 90s songs. Ted McGinley can be the boss. Everyone else is on my absolute last nerve.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 1
1 hour ago, ML89 said:

I really would like Jessica Williams and Harrison Ford to go find a better show together - solve crimes, be on a morning TV show, run a coffee shop. Drive around and sing 90s songs. Ted McGinley can be the boss. Everyone else is on my absolute last nerve.

Actually I was thinking that Jessica Williams needs to spin off into her own show. She is the best on this show.

• Like 6
On 2/20/2023 at 8:46 AM, bilgistic said:

I'm irrationally bothered by Alice hanging out with Jimmy's coworkers, especially Paul. What teenager is voluntarily spending time with an 80-year-old to whom they aren't related?

It seems like her dad’s coworkers are family friends. I think Gabby was the wife’s best friend (when Jimmy consoled her after the failed divorce party, Gabby said they told each other everything), and Paul is/was a mentor to Jimmy, so she may have known both of them most of her life. Alice clearly trusts them both as though she’s known them a while. 

• Like 9
On 2/20/2023 at 5:46 AM, bilgistic said:

I'm irrationally bothered by Alice hanging out with Jimmy's coworkers, especially Paul. What teenager is voluntarily spending time with an 80-year-old to whom they aren't related?

They're not just hanging out, he's counseling her.

• Like 11

I'm with Gabi that there is no way that Tia wouldn't have told her if she was going to leave him.  I didn't see Gabi and Jimmy hooking up though.  Ugh.  That's not gonna be messy as fuck or anything.  

Jimmy needs to be in actual therapy, not just hanging around with all of his therapist friends with horribly shitty boundaries. 

Also, look at Sean having an actual boundary with Alice.  In this show that is shocking.... 

• Like 8

They were going to have a love interest at some point but this Gaby hookup seems like lazy writing.

So she doesn't have libido, which they try to quickly establish with one scene of her not being into some guy and then her talking about not having desire since her divorce.

That is suppose to lead to this drunken hookup?

Thing is Seagel is only 43 and the actress must be in her 30s so maybe they're not so far apart in age.  But just like Liz sticking her nose into everything, these colleagues, neighbors and patients are too involved with each other, outside of their formal roles.

They're socializing a lot outside the office, which isn't abnormal but it just seems like a lot of overlap.

It's a very insular social circle.

• Like 5

I'm not happy about Gaby and Jimmy hooking up but otherwise I thought this was a pretty solid episode. Harrison Ford was hilarious high on edibles and Jimmy throwing up all over the piano was disgusting but hysterical. I felt so bad for Alice, there is nothing more crushing than that kind of embarrassing rejection. Sean was a bit of a jerk not realized he might be leading her on. "You're just a kid" was uncalled for.

• Like 6

She IS just a kid. I never got an inkling that he was trying to make a pass at her, and I bet he was freaking out because he would be in a lot of trouble if Jimmy found out since he’s living under the same roof. I’m glad he stopped it right when she was making a move on him and didn’t let her kiss him.

• Like 19
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, twoods said:

She IS just a kid. I never got an inkling that he was trying to make a pass at her, and I bet he was freaking out because he would be in a lot of trouble if Jimmy found out since he’s living under the same roof. I’m glad he stopped it right when she was making a move on him and didn’t let her kiss him.

Yeah but yelling "you're just a kid" at her was an ass move. Especially since he's the one who followed her up to her bedroom to check on her after she ran off downstairs. There are nicer ways to let someone know they got the wrong idea.

• Like 1
47 minutes ago, bilgistic said:

In two more years when she's 19, Leonardo DiCaprio will date her.🙃

The way I cackled...

I'm fine with Sean shutting Alice down, but this is the same adult who texted said kid and got her to skip school because he was triggered by an interaction with his father.  He didn't care she was a kid then (I also didn't perceive it as a romantic overture).  I mean, you have a whole therapist that you're living with if you needed to talk through some stuff.  Yeah, I'm not gonna be able to let that one go.

I wasn't surprised by Gaby and Jimmy's hook-up.  It's possible the writers had it happen so early and while they're tipsy only to confirm that they're better off friends and colleagues.  I was a bit confused on it from Gaby's side, though.  If the wife told you everything about Jimmy, he doesn't exactly scream "DILF" based on what we've learned about that marriage. 

But hey, despite Jimmy's flaws, maybe the wife told her he's exceptionally talented and giving during sex, and she was looking for someone to grease the peach...

• Like 3
  • LOL 1

This show had potential given the actors and creator but it is neither funny nor thought-provoking. 

Having people do stupid or gross things when they are drunk or high shows no imagination or creativity. When Jimmy is talking to Sean in the last therapy session and is about to provide him with some guidance about deal with PTSD and instead says he can't stop thinking about wings it was a lost opportunity to say something meaningful.

Gaby is a good character as is Alice when she and Paul are talking. The rest of the characters and storylines are just not worth the screen time they get.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

I told my husband about halfway through Gabby and Jimmy were going to hook up. Not sure how I feel about it.

I keep seeing people comparing it to Ted Lasso as a “feel good” show. Am I missing the feel good part? It has its moments but it’s not a warm fuzzy show. Everyone’s kinda messed, and that’s ok. I can dig it but right now it just seems to be people who should know better making bad decisions. Which happens with grief, but I haven’t felt the grief yet. This is the first time we got anything on his late wife and that wasn’t a whole lot, I’d like to know more about her.

It’s funny and Harrison Ford has some killer one liners so I’ll keep watching. 

• Like 5

I just started watching this show last week and did a slow binge to catch up.  And now I have to impatiently wait until Friday for the next episode.  🙁

I'm liking it.  I'm a fan of Jason Segal and a big Harrison Ford fan, too, so I went in with good expectations.  I like Harrison Ford as the sarcastic grumpy old guy.  I like the way his character relates with Jimmy and Gabi, and that they both really look up to him as a mentor. 

Jimmy and Gabi hooking up was pretty predictable.  Especially because they had them standing less than a foot apart just before the kiss, and really, who has a conversation that way?  Alice and Sean was much more believable - she had to cross the room to try and kiss him.  And I was so glad Sean shut that down, even if it wasn't in the gentlest way possible.  I loved how a few episodes ago he shut down Alice's friend without even a second's hesitation. 

The casting of Tia and Alice as her daughter was great!  The physical resemblance is very believable for mother/daughter. 

Does anyone know if this is a limited series, or if there are expectations/hopes of a second season?  I'm sort of hoping it's a one and done.  I love it, but I don't need each season to see Paul deteriorating more, or to have Jimmy have a new "project" client each season.  I'd like this to wrap up with everyone moving forward, and leave it at that.

And a really weird observation...  Jessica Williams reminds me of Sarah Silverman.  Their bone structure is actually quite similar, and they sort of sound the same.  Silverman is more nasal, but they have the same general tone and inflection. 

• Like 8
1 hour ago, chaifan said:

Does anyone know if this is a limited series, or if there are expectations/hopes of a second season?  I'm sort of hoping it's a one and done.  I love it, but I don't need each season to see Paul deteriorating more, or to have Jimmy have a new "project" client each season.  I'd like this to wrap up with everyone moving forward, and leave it at that.

Nothing has been announced, although Bill Lawrence tweeted they're working on season 2.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

Hmm, Paul is only suppose to be 73?  And he has something going on with his legs after he had the argument with his daughter about moving across the country.  Understandable, he doesn't want to give up his independence or his life.

I think Alice needs to hang out more with her peers than her father's friends and coworkers or the nosy neighbor.  They can say they're just showing the times when she's around these older adults and she really spends most of her time with her friends but she seems to be really a part of the older adult circle.

Sean moved out or he just said he will be moving out.  Was a big no no that Jimmy mixed one of his clients with his family and friends but nobody is making that objection any more and he's also hanging out al the time.  You'd think he'd have moved on by now.

Jimmy just happens to speak to his deceased wife's photo, admits he slept with Gaby and Alice just happens to overhear.  Seems like secrets really don't stay hidden in this group of people, everyone knows everyone else's business.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, aghst said:

Hmm, Paul is only suppose to be 73?  And he has something going on with his legs after he had the argument with his daughter about moving across the country.  Understandable, he doesn't want to give up his independence or his life.

The leg tremor I assume was a flare up of his Parkinson's. 

All in all...this episode felt a little different from the rest.   There was more finding peace and less dysfunction.   I did enjoy it though and saw how this group can be good together.  

• Like 9
8 hours ago, shelley1234 said:

The leg tremor I assume was a flare up of his Parkinson's. 

All in all...this episode felt a little different from the rest.   There was more finding peace and less dysfunction.   I did enjoy it though and saw how this group can be good together.  

Yes, he mentioned that symptom when they were talking to his neurologist.  

I’m not a doctor but my daughter has epilepsy and when she is extremely stressed, her brain reacts even more and her symptoms increase…maybe the same type of thing happens with Parkinsons?

Speaking of, I thought his daughter way overreacted when he said he wasn’t moving to be with her.  I understand because obviously they are estranged and she obviously still has resentments, but what he said could not have been that shocking to her.  He has a practice, he is still working, he has friends, but she expects him to move just like that? She could not have expected him to say yes. 

• Like 15

The cast is really amazing in this show along with the stars some of the reoccuring characters are really good. Having Lily Rabe, Wendie Malick and Heidi Gardner as side characters is a great luxury for this show.

As much as I enjoy the show, there is an annoying element to this show that is really starting to bother me.

Jimmy has always been portrayed as a sad sack that can't get his life together and is the butt of many jokes on the show. But as he is starting to put his life together I am getting more annoyed that the jokes have become a bit of bullying by the other characters on the show. A few episodes ago it was Paul treating him like crap and now it is Alice that seems to be crapping on him as personal enjoyment. This was all kind of funny early in the season but now it is start to bother me and wonder if this is going to be the pattern moving forward?

• Like 3

I keep seeing people comparing it to Ted Lasso as a “feel good” show. Am I missing the feel good part? 

I feel the same way about this show that I feel about Ted Lasso. I don't know if I'd describe either as a "feel good" show though. There seems to be a lot of objection to the idea that Jimmy would invite a patient to live on his property, which is completely understandable. But I'm sure there are equally implausible plot points in Ted Lasso that don't garner nearly the same outcries. Probably because the audience is less familiar with English football than American therapy. Neither show is particularly realistic but this one, more obviously so, I guess.

But the similarities are in the witty banter, likable cast and half-hour format. A half hour is just enough for both shows.

Speaking of, I thought his daughter way overreacted when he said he wasn’t moving to be with her. 

Same. I mean, I get where she's coming from, but it wasn't a good look on her. Paul tried to explain and she just kept shutting him down and lashing out. I'm sure there was room for negotiation here, like "maybe not right now but let's keep that in mind down the road."

• Like 4
On 3/3/2023 at 3:09 AM, AngieBee1 said:

Love how Derek stood his ground. 

Agreed.  He deserves to enjoy being at home.  I see no reason why he has to be the only one to find things to do outside of the house.  It'd be one thing if she approached him with a compromise.  They remind me of some couples I read about getting divorced during the pandemic. The relationship worked because neither were together for an extended time under one roof, and the pandemic shattered that dynamic.  I'd say that's best course for these two, but I'm not at all objective because I want Liz off my screen.

10 hours ago, juno said:

Alice that seems to be crapping on him as personal enjoyment.

I understand this perspective.  I give Alice a break because, based on what we know so far, Jimmy had basically shut her out for a year, I think.  He was partying and bringing strange women to the house at all times of the night.  You can't just press pause on being a parent because you lost your wife, then press play when you're ready.  It's one thing to take adult friends for granted. It's another to do that to your teenage daughter.  Even before Tia's death, it sounds like he wasn't the best parent.  I think it's been a few months in the show's timeline, plus he was a drunken mess at the party.  I think she'd softened up a bit before she heard the "I had sex with Gaby" spiel. 

Jimmy, close the door when you're having private conversations with your dead wife!

And speaking of daughters, I sympathize with Meg.  From her perspective, Paul wasn't a great father and didn't exactly try to mend fences as she got older.  I suspect she feels like he only reached out because he's sick and needs someone to look out for him when he's incapacitated.  He's cracking jokes and making light over his DNR instructions.  Did she jump the gun assuming he would move in with her without talking to him about it first? Yes. I also think she was hoping for some genuine bonding time before his illness gets worse.  And let's be real here - he could have Gaby and Jimmy take over his patient load.  Or he could even see his patients virtually for awhile.  So to her, it felt like he's choosing the job AGAIN. I mean, has he even met his grandson?

I felt for Paul too.  When you've been well-respected, important, independent - it's tough to just give that up.  It was a well done scene between the actors.    

• Like 11
(edited)

I have been critical of this show but I thought episode 7 (Apology Tour) was excellent.  The interactions between each of the characters were real and meaningful.

I really liked Derek's declaration of earning the right to be home after working all these years. Not only did it seem completely reasonable but he explained it in a matter-of-fact and kind way.

Gaby continues to be the best character on the show. She is quick and funny but what she says is important.

Paul's daughter was downright awful. It was great that she wanted to help out but her version of helping out was to now completely control his life. Seriously?

Edited by Dminches
  • Like 8

I think Paul’s daughter pounced on the chance to help him in part, and maybe unconsciously, because if he moved into her guest house, he would be around, he couldn’t leave her because of his Parkinson’s and she might finally have quality time before he further deteriorates.  

• Like 4
(edited)

I started watching this recently. I have mixed feelings about it. I cannot stand of the lead actor or even maybe his character as well.
Basically I think the only likable characters are Paul and Liz's hubby. All the rest are mostly annoying. I dunno, they are all a bit like caricatures overreacting about anything, which you can describe it as a form of comedy..but at the same time the show wants us to take it seriously. Well, that isn't working for me.
Anyway I guess I mostly only watch it for Harrison Ford.

Edited by Zaffy
  • Like 2
On 3/5/2023 at 3:26 PM, Dminches said:

Paul's daughter was downright awful. It was great that she wanted to help out but her version of helping out was to now completely control his life. Seriously?

From personal experience I understand she wants to cover lost time with her dad and she is probably panicked she won't make it, but the writing and her acting are not good so she comes out as awful as you described it. Except Paul, they all seem to be hysterical in this show...

• Like 3

These characters have big personalities.  I don't know if it's charismatic but they all can assert their presence.

I may have missed something but Gaby went off on Nico because he was with the other woman and told her that the painting was her, not Gaby?  Maybe the guy did need to be dressed down but vanity and resentment during their time together is what drove her outburst?

Alice gets caught doing something wrong and gets mad when Jimmy tries to set boundaries?  Yeah he hasn't been doing it enough and it sucks that he suddenly does it but her reaction is that of a spoiled brat.

Harrison Ford's comic timing is good but just not getting the big raves about his performance.

Sean is probably the most low key of these personalities.  Somebody has to stand back while the others strut like that peacock.

• Like 1

Catching up on the last two episodes but I’m so glad Derek held his ground when Liz made that unreasonable demand. He continues to be one of my favorites, but I still don’t get how he puts up with Liz. She is a lot.

Alice is being a typical teen. She has dealt with a lot and has been the adult while her dad was grieving and partying. She deserves to be a teen. It just sucks to watch her being one for a change.

Wasn’t Nico an alcoholic when he was with Gaby? Now he’s sober and has his shit together, and Gaby feels that she got the short end of the stick since she was there when he was at his worst. I don’t blame her for being mad. Poor Sean, stuck with all these extra adults while he’s the only sane one.

Edited by twoods
  • Like 5

Eh...I wouldn't call Sean sane exactly. It was just a few episodes ago that he sent a complete stranger to the hospital because of his rage issues and is currently living with his therapist because his parents kicked him out.  I'd like to see him make an effort to set things right with them.     

On 3/9/2023 at 5:33 PM, Domestic Assassin said:

Nice, I like the show and most of the characters. 

Totally understood Brian not wanting Jimmy to officiate his wedding. I also understand Jimmy being mad about it, but hey, he was a hot mess at the engagement party.   

The irony of Paul telling Jimmy how to parent.  He was right, just...physician, heal thyself.  And maybe stop trying to force a conversation with your own daughter who doesn't want to talk to you at present.   

I knew as soon as Gaby met Aaliyah that she was with Nico. To me, it felt natural that she was upset that Nico was doing well post-divorce.  According to her, they were together/married for 8 years, so to have another woman reap the benefit of her emotional investment must have hurt. 

• Like 8
On 3/10/2023 at 8:39 PM, ribboninthesky1 said:

To me, it felt natural that she was upset that Nico was doing well post-divorce.  According to her, they were together/married for 8 years, so to have another woman reap the benefit of her emotional investment must have hurt. 

Also, I think the petty side of us wants our exes to suffer a little post-breakup, depending on the circumstances. Like “why aren’t you curled up on the couch crying? How dare you be thriving without me?!” (How long has it been since they split?)

• Like 4

Jimmy and Brian screaming at Liz and calling her a grammar witch while she calmly eats blueberries was hilarious. I love that she knows she’s a bitch and instigates people. 
I teared up at Jimmy looking at the scrapbook, and then when Alice freaked out for forgetting her mom’s birthday. It also got dusty when Paul showed up to Mason’s play. I was not expecting that at all and was wondering why the award venue looked like a school theater.

Hoping that Sean’s catering business doesn’t tank. It’s been nice seeing him grow from the PTSD, angry veteran.

• Like 5

Am I the only one a little disturbed by Paul dating his doctor? That's unethical for a reason! I wouldn't mind it so much as a story if anyone would just acknowledge that's a little messed up. I mean, I know this show kind of revels in being unethical, but with Jimmy they at least acknowledge it to some extent.

Edited by Domestic Assassin
  • Like 3

My attention kind of drifted through this extra long episode.

People seem to like many of these characters but to me they try too hard to please, too hard to be cool, etc.

Things happened but are they of any consequence?  Jimmy went through the scrapbook, signifying that he's grieved enough and is ready to move on.  Could that  be why he slept with Gaby, this time both of them sober, again?

Paul and his doctor, seems like that will be about weaving Wendy Malick into more scenes.

• Like 2

I know that Jason Segel isn't everyone's cup of tea, but I was very moved by the scene where he was looking through the photo album, then got to the blank page and said "That's all we get" and started to choke up. I did too, a little. I mean I realize there's some projecting going on but anyone who has lost a loved one can relate.

At first I kind of thought Paul's daughter was being a bitch about the whole Vegas thing but by the end I sort of got where she was coming from. I'm not real clear on their history but apparently she's always felt like his work was more important to him than his family, so the way she reacted when he didn't agree to move in with her was probably because she was still in that mindset that he'd rather work until he can't anymore rather than spend time with his family while he still could.

• Like 14

I laugh to myself every episode at how integrated into their lives Sean is.   I'm rooting for him even if his therapist is a hot mess!  

I was surprised and love the surprise of seeing Paul go to his grandkid's play instead of getting his "putting out to pasture" award.  

Also loved seeing Jimmy mourn and love his wife and then move towards being ready to really move on.  Anyone who has lost someone, especially someone too soon, can relate to what we was going through this episode.  

Alice forgot it was her mom's birthday.   I know she hates herself for it, but it shows she is healing and living more in the here and now.  So I'm happy for her.  

• Like 10

I usually find Liz annoying and over-involved, but I felt a tiny bit bad for her when Sean made it clear that he didn't want her to contribute to his business in any way other than financial The "D-Train"/"G-Spot" exchange in that scene was hilarious though. I really enjoy Ted McGinley's acting in this show.

I'm glad that Jimmy is moving on from Tia's death and Gabby is moving on from her divorce, but I just don't see them as a couple, so I hope that's not endgame. I know this happens a lot in real life, but to me there's something incestuous about it.

2 hours ago, Domestic Assassin said:

Am I the only one a little disturbed by Paul dating his doctor? That's unethical for a reason! I wouldn't mind it so much as a story if anyone would just acknowledge that's a little messed up. I mean, I know this show kind of revels in being unethical, but with Jimmy they at least acknowledge it to some extent.

It would only be unethical if she continues to treat him. But honestly, it doesn't bother me either way. Paul only has a few good years left, so I'm all for him living in the moment.

• Like 5
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

I know that Jason Segel isn't everyone's cup of tea, but I was very moved by the scene where he was looking through the photo album, then got to the blank page and said "That's all we get" and started to choke up. I did too, a little.

I did too. 

Gaby was on fire this episode. Everything out of her mouth cracked me up.

1 hour ago, shelley1234 said:

I was surprised and love the surprise of seeing Paul go to his grandkid's play instead of getting his "putting out to pasture" award.  

I cried, I can’t even lie. I also cried at the listening party. 

1 hour ago, shelley1234 said:

Alice forgot it was her mom's birthday.   I know she hates herself for it, but it shows she is healing and living more in the here and now.  So I'm happy for her.  

All the reading I’ve done about grief has said that this will happen, the forgetting a milestone or maybe you don’t think of your person one day or something. And it doesn’t mean you’re forgetting the person, or that you don’t miss them, and you shouldn’t beat yourself up over it. Easier said than done for Alice, obviously, but she hasn’t done anything wrong.

• Like 8
On 2/12/2023 at 11:30 AM, aghst said:

You can't not notice how artificial Christa Miller's face looks whenever she's on screen.  There was one profile shot and her chin was elongated, not in a flattering way.

It's tough for an older actress, you want to see them keep getting roles and such.  But is she suppose to be a contemporary of Jimmy, around the same age?  Liz and Jimmy have children who are around the same age too.

Paul has Parkinsons, won't tell daughter.  Sean probably has PTSD, won't talk about his war experience.  Jimmy is still in grief, can't be a good father to Alice.  So they're all working through various levels of dysfunction, while being funny?  Or maybe the pun in the name of the show is that they're shrinking in different ways from their responsibilities or courses of actions they know they should undertake.

I think Liz and her husband are probably older than Jimmy and his late wife. 

On 2/10/2023 at 11:23 AM, iMonrey said:

I must be the only one here who likes Jason Segel. I get a kick out of Jimmy and his antics. It's Harrison Ford I'm not entirely sold on. Not that he isn't up to the job, it's just weird seeing him do a sitcom. 

I like Jason Segal in this. But I really love Harrison Ford. I couldn't see him doing a traditional sitcom but this grumpy, insightful comedy style suits him. 

• Like 3

The "D-Train"/"G-Spot" exchange in that scene was hilarious though.

Liz: $20,000 is a lot of money. I have to talk to Derek.

Gaby: Hey D-Train!

Derek: Yeah G-Spot?

Gaby: Is it OK if Liz gives Sean $20,000?

Derek: OK!

Gaby: It took him awhile to come around to it, but he got on board.

• Like 2
  • LOL 13