Type keyword(s) to search

Shrinking - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I am loving this show so far. Great cast, hilarious, and reminds me of Ted Lasso since it’s from the same creators. Apple+ for the win yet again.

Edited by twoods
  • Like 9

I'm trying to like this show, and I'll give it another episode. One thing that bugs me is that every other word seems to be the F word or a variation of it. I'm no prude. I'm not shocked by the word, but when it's used in almost every sentence, it becomes redundant and boring.

• Like 1

I love this show already and, honestly, it’s no surprise, since I seem to love everything Bill Lawrence is involved with! Per his usual, it’s a balance of good storytelling, humor, and heart. I’ll be back every week to watch.

• Like 7
  • Love 1
On 1/27/2023 at 11:21 AM, juno said:

This is so great. The cast is amazing. Even Ted McGinley is funny.

Great story. I hope it lasts.

I think even he won't kill this show!

I can definitely hear Brett Goldstein's writing voice in Episode 1. 

• Like 7

I liked it. I enjoyed the supporting cast more than Jason Segel. I loved him in Sarah Marshall, and he is multi-talented, but I feel his acting range is limited to schlumpy sad sacks.

I'm especially enjoying the veteran with PTSD, who seems less sitcom-y than the other characters.

• Like 11
1 minute ago, SnarkShark said:

I'm undecided on Harrison Ford at this early point.  We haven't seen enough of him to really decide if his performance is working.

First off, love the SnarkShark Avitar

I did really enjoy the moment he had with Alice.

My favorite is Jessica Williams, she is so talented and funny.

Just watched the first episode. It's not bad, but too twee for my liking. The show seems to want us to find Jimmy endearing, but him neglecting his parenting duties and even partying with hookers at the house he shares with his chid makes him impossible to redeem, IMO. I like shows that have a fresh take on grief, e.g. Dead To Me, but not sure I can get into this one.

Edited by chocolatine
  • Like 3
  • Applause 2

Watching Jason Segel run to the soccer game cracked me completely up. He just … runs funny.

On 1/29/2023 at 2:45 PM, SnarkShark said:

I'm undecided on Harrison Ford at this early point.  We haven't seen enough of him to really decide if his performance is working.

I really like his relationship with the daughter, I think because he’s not as much of a curmudgeon with her.

18 hours ago, chocolatine said:

Just watched the first episode. It's not bad, but too twee for my liking. The show seems to want us to find Jimmy endearing, but him neglecting his parenting duties and even partying with hookers at the house he shares with his chid makes him impossible to redeem, IMO. 

I read a novel in which the husband/father died and the wife/mother took to bed for, like, months (it was known as The Pause), leaving her young children to fend completely for themselves (like, she did not speak to them, let alone take care of them), and then she eventually gets it together but doesn’t acknowledge that she completely checked out for months, and the kids just … are okay with it. I was thinking “really, you’re just going to let her skate on that when y’all were catching fish to eat so you wouldn’t starve?” At least here he’s acknowledging that he fucked up and is trying to do better. I liked what the daughter said about him just acting like it only happened to him. I lost my dad unexpectedly about two years ago and when the daughter said, simply, “I miss her,” I teared up.

• Like 4

I liked it, except for how he handled telling Grace to leave her husband. Statistically speaking, exiting an abusive relationship is often the most dangerous time; even an abusive relationship previously without physical abuse can quickly become dangerous. For him not to discuss an exit strategy/safety plan (beyond staying with her sister) was negligent. 

• Like 4
  • Applause 2

I don’t think he expected her to leave him after an ultimatum he gave when he wasn’t 100% with it. He probably thought she would find a new therapist.

Edited by twoods
36 minutes ago, twoods said:

I don’t think he expected her to leave him after an ultimatum he gave when he wasn’t 100% with it. He probably thought she would find a new therapist.

Still negligent. Responsible therapists don't give patients these kinds of ultimatums -- put yourself in a potentially dangerous situation or I will terminate our therapeutic relationship. I believe the sign outside the building indicated the practice was cognitive behavioral therapy, although Harrison Ford's character seemed to take more of a person-centered approach. Either way... no tantrums, no ultimatums.

Edited by QQQQ
  • Like 1
29 minutes ago, chocolatine said:

I don't think this is a show about a responsible therapist.

I've only watched the first episode, but if the show is about a therapist who routinely violates his professional code of ethics because he's bored, frustrated, angry, etc., then it's not the show for me. Again, overall I liked the show but this storyline really jumped out at me as a misfire. 

• Like 3
12 hours ago, QQQQ said:

if the show is about a therapist who routinely violates his professional code of ethics because he's bored, frustrated, angry, etc.,

My understanding is this is the premise of the show. I'm not sure making fun or comedy out of patients' suffering is gonna work in this series. I think Segel is the weak link in trying to pull this off. He's such a ham.

Second episode was better than the first, with the rapport between characters developing. Good acting chemistry.

I assume they wrote Ford's shaky hands into the dialogue.

I'm distracted by Christa Miller's presumed fillers and Botox. Occasionally she slurs her words.

I wish tv shows would stop excessive use of the F word. It's not offensive; it's lazy, juvenile writing.

Edited by pasdetrois
  • Like 4

Yeah I had to look up Christa's age -- she's 58.  I remember her from the Seinfeld episode when George felt the material on her dress -- she's a complete stranger -- and she takes offense, gets in George's face.

OK, so far I've only watched the first episode but that Seinfeld scene is more memorable and funny than anything in the pilot.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

Really enjoying this show. The cast gel so well together. I must have missed that Jimmy’s wife was Gaby’s best friend, but it was nice for him to be there for her while she was grieving for her.

Since they have Wendie Malick playing Phil’s neurologist I wonder if we will be seeing more of her. I am loving her and Harrison Ford’s scenes.

I hope they don’t make Alice and Sean’s relationship into more than confidant/friend vibe they currently have. I don’t like how Liz is snooping around them and assuming they are flirty, but at least the show calls out how she is way too involved in Jimmy and Alice’s lives.

Edited by twoods
  • Like 5

Another really good episode. I am happy that the quality is staying there.

I love Jessica Williams, while Gaby is not a primary actress on the show, she just knocks her scenes out of the park.

Warming up to the Harrison Ford sarcasm. He uncorks some really funny lines throughout the show.

• Like 4

Christa Miller is in a lot of scenes.  Is it because she’s married to the showrunner?

Alice told on Jimmy to Paul about Sean staying with Jimmy.  She also alleged that there was some funny business going on between Alice and Sean?  That seems like a villain turn from nosy or hovering neighbor.

They brought Brian on slowly but he’s coming on strong — that cornhole joke.  

Wendy Malick looks good for being over 70.  Her facial skin looks more natural though maybe she’s also had work done?  Her face doesn’t look unnaturally stretched.

Guess the big reveal at the end is suppose to be a big deal but I think in most abusive situations, it’s difficult for women to just suddenly leave.  Yet that woman was pretending all this time, having FaceTime sessions with Jimmy claiming to be in another state.

Someone on Reddit noted that she was up on that hiking path the previous time that Jimmy ran into the asshole husband.  There was a figure wearing the same clothes in the earlier scene but her face wasn’t shown.

So Jimmy’s going to reevaluate his practice and life again?

• Like 2

When I tell you I HOWLED at “Eat a dick, Pam!”

The thing about grief and the seemingly insignificant item (orchid) is so true. I have a bunch of my dad’s clothes and when my sibling and I were organizing (throw out, keep, donate, consign), he held up a plain polo shirt and I started crying because I could remember him wearing it. I ended up keeping it. Totally ordinary shirt but for some reason it got to me.

Edited by Empress1
  • Hugs 3
  • Sad 2
  • Fire 1
  • Love 2

I’m enjoying this. I don’t think it’s at a Ted Lasso level, but it’s funny. I’ve never cared for the actress that plays the neighbor but she’s not too bad here other than the face fillers, they are very distracting. Considering she’s the wife of the show runner, I’m going to have to deal. 

I do wish they’d give Michael Urie more to do than be the funny gay BFF, but I do appreciate that they have a gay man and a straight man being best friends.

• Like 3

Yes the face fillers are distracting, and after someone on here mentioned the slurring I can’t unsee it. I usually like her on other shows, just disappointed she had to do that to her face. 

• Like 5
On 2/4/2023 at 8:51 PM, Empress1 said:

When I tell you I HOWLED at “Eat a dick, Pam!”

Liz' husband is hilarious.  And yet, I feel kind of bad for him because he's trying to connect with her, but she's too caught up in in Jimmy and Alice's life. 

On 1/31/2023 at 9:42 AM, pasdetrois said:

I'm distracted by Christa Miller's presumed fillers and Botox. Occasionally she slurs her words.

Yeah, I don't know if she recently had something done and it hadn't settled when they filmed the show.  Compared to Wendy Malick, who either has a better routine, great genes, or combo thereof.  

I prefer this over Ted Lasso so far.  The show isn't pulling any punches about Jimmy being a bad parent, friend, and therapist despite his grief.  

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, twoods said:

Yes the face fillers are distracting, and after someone on here mentioned the slurring I can’t unsee it. I usually like her on other shows, just disappointed she had to do that to her face. 

She is a good actress but she does seem to get gigs based on her husband Bill Lawrence. Lawrence produces this, Scrubs and Cougar Town. I am guessing that is one reason she got the show.

11 hours ago, ribboninthesky1 said:

Liz' husband is hilarious.  And yet, I feel kind of bad for him because he's trying to connect with her, but she's too caught up in in Jimmy and Alice's life. 

Yeah, I don't know if she recently had something done and it hadn't settled when they filmed the show.  Compared to Wendy Malick, who either has a better routine, great genes, or combo thereof.  

I prefer this over Ted Lasso so far.  The show isn't pulling any punches about Jimmy being a bad parent, friend, and therapist despite his grief.  

Her character on Frasier was very open she had work done, but I don’t know if Wendy actually has. She does look amazing either way. I’m not totally anti cosmetic enhancements, but most of them are done terribly. If done right, no one should be able to tell  

• Like 3

I prefer this over Ted Lasso so far.  

I didn't know this was a Bill Lawrence show until just now. It's good, but comparing it to Ted Lasso (or Scrubs or Cougar Town) is like apples and oranges. Totally different stories. I like it though. I don't feel compelled to say I like one better than the other. I think this one is more pithy given the premise. 

• Like 2
19 hours ago, AngieBee1 said:

She's had this face and slurring even when she appeared on SCRUBS.

Really? I don't remember that.  Then again, it's been a long time since I've seen SCRUBS. 

2 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I didn't know this was a Bill Lawrence show until just now. It's good, but comparing it to Ted Lasso (or Scrubs or Cougar Town) is like apples and oranges. Totally different stories. I like it though. I don't feel compelled to say I like one better than the other. I think this one is more pithy given the premise. 

I mentioned Ted Lasso because it was mentioned by others, and they're both on Apple TV. The shows are both dramedies, so it's not off base to compare them.   

Slate Culture Gabfest talked about this show, very split opinion.

One of them was aghast about the things Jimmy did -- and apparently does more in coming episodes which wouldn't be condoned by any professional therapist.

They liked other characters more, like Harrison Ford, than Jimmy.

• Like 1

Just finished Episode 4 - Potatoes. Gaby is still the highlight. Jessica Williams has chemistry with everyone. She even made Christa Miller fun this episode.

Harrison Ford was just a mean, cranky asshole this episode. I don't get too much joy in him belittling, making fun of and acting superior over others.

Sean and Alice please no.

• Like 3

Jimmy’s face at the end- I am hoping that Sean knows better if Alice tries to make a move on him.

Connor is so adorable. I am hoping they follow up with why Alice is ghosting him.

Drunk Liz and Gaby were hilarious.

Harrison Ford singing Sugar Ray made my night!

• Like 6
9 hours ago, juno said:

Gaby is still the highlight. Jessica Williams has chemistry with everyone.

She's a new discovery for me and I love her. What talent and charisma.

It's interesting to watch Ford break out of his typical hero persona. I know he's done it in the past, but it's been a long time.

Jimmy violating therapy ethics with abandon is taking me out of the show. And I don't even know why Gaby was cozied up to Liz at home, giving her advice.

• Like 3

I must be the only one here who likes Jason Segel. I get a kick out of Jimmy and his antics. It's Harrison Ford I'm not entirely sold on. Not that he isn't up to the job, it's just weird seeing him do a sitcom. 

• Like 4

One of them was aghast about the things Jimmy did -- and apparently does more in coming episodes which wouldn't be condoned by any professional therapist.

I understand people feeling how they feel about media but it's curious to me that critics are acting as if we are not dealing with fictional characters. I see this often now where people feel as if we are dealing with real life scenarios and characters should adhere to what society views is the right and "moral" way. This is a sitcom. This is entertainment not a moral guidepost. The scenarios are done for comedic purposes. No one is advocating for therapists to do the same as Jimmy.

I have enjoyed all the episodes but this week's episode is my favourite by far. Perfect casting of Lily Rabe as Paul's daughter.

It's great that they quickly resolved Gabby's cold-shouldering of Liz. I get that now that Jimmy and Alice are emerging from the other side of their grief, but as Liz said last week she was the one there, not Gabby. And about time Jimmy thanked her because he was too lost in his grief and floudering to be emotionally present for Alice.

I think tonally the show is like "Scrubs", but the way the characters are adult enough to quickly resolve their issues and the show has no intention of drawing it is a "Ted Lasso" thing.

I had a laugh when Jimmy (or maybe Gabby) asked Paul, "What, are you a chef?", or something to that effect because Ford's son Ben is a famous chef.

Same when Liz said people always asks her for her playlist. Christa is the music supervisor on this and many of her husband's other shows

• Like 13
  • Love 2
On 2/9/2023 at 11:32 PM, juno said:

Just finished Episode 4 - Potatoes. Gaby is still the highlight. Jessica Williams has chemistry with everyone. She even made Christa Miller fun this episode.

Harrison Ford was just a mean, cranky asshole this episode. I don't get too much joy in him belittling, making fun of and acting superior over others.

Sean and Alice please no.

I am a strong, black potato woman. ( Line of the week, IMO).

I'm glad that they're showing that Jimmy's rule breaking is not the solution he thinks it is. ( The woman returning to her abusive ex, the anxious woman mistaking his encouragement for a come-on) what works for one patient ( Sean) isn't going to work for all of them. (And that Harrison Ford's character is right to be pissed about Jimmy's approach). 

• Like 12
3 hours ago, sacrebleu said:

I am a strong, black potato woman. ( Line of the week, IMO).

I'm glad that they're showing that Jimmy's rule breaking is not the solution he thinks it is. ( The woman returning to her abusive ex, the anxious woman mistaking his encouragement for a come-on) what works for one patient ( Sean) isn't going to work for all of them. (And that Harrison Ford's character is right to be pissed about Jimmy's approach). 

I'd also strongly make the case it isn't working for Sean either.   Harrison Ford guy (forgot the characters name) is right that Sean sees Jimmy as his friend and not his therapist.   And now that Jimmy knows his daughter is all about Sean....I think Sean is in for a bad time when this all plays out.  It is Sean who is gonna lose here even though he hasn't done anything wrong.  

For someone who has been a therapist and is in therapy, Jimmy's boundaries are horrific.   Like criminally horrific.  It took me a few episodes to realize that is the point and now I find the show less shocking and more hilarious.  And I also love that it is showing that helping professionals often are just as fucked up as we all are.  

• Like 9
  • Applause 1

You can't not notice how artificial Christa Miller's face looks whenever she's on screen.  There was one profile shot and her chin was elongated, not in a flattering way.

It's tough for an older actress, you want to see them keep getting roles and such.  But is she suppose to be a contemporary of Jimmy, around the same age?  Liz and Jimmy have children who are around the same age too.

Paul has Parkinsons, won't tell daughter.  Sean probably has PTSD, won't talk about his war experience.  Jimmy is still in grief, can't be a good father to Alice.  So they're all working through various levels of dysfunction, while being funny?  Or maybe the pun in the name of the show is that they're shrinking in different ways from their responsibilities or courses of actions they know they should undertake.

• Like 2

Another great episode. Paul and Sean really bonded nicely- I wouldn’t be surprised if he became Sean’s therapist down the line.

Really liking Gaby and Liz’s budding friendship. And yay on seeing more of Brian, and that he’s more than just the funny gay best friend. Loving the great chemistry between all the actors- I think that’s what makes this show so fun to watch.

• Like 3
  • Love 4

Too many of the characters are doing schtick, not conversing in any normal manner.

The whole teasing of Brian about proposing seemed performative, not the way people would really talk about something important to one of the characters.

Brian walking backwards out the door and Gaby betting he'd hit the door, also obvious attempt to be funny and likable.

Maybe Alice is the only one who gets some normal lines?

Jimmy of course is always doing things with faces, rarely if ever speaking in a professional manner.  Yes he's grieving so he's not behaving normally.  But the entire cast is trying hard to be noticed with virtually every line reading.

Scrubs was like that, but the characters were suppose to be young so they're like doctor bros or something.

I don't recall noticing it being quite like this in Ted Lasso, they can still have great dialog there without always speaking with some unusual affect.

Can people sustain this jovial and smirking demeanor all the time?

• Like 3