Type keyword(s) to search

S48.E07: Keke Palmer / SZA

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, Tachi Rocinante said:

OK ep.  Keke was a little too hyper, but that's kinda her MO. Lost a little respect for her after the shade on Zendaya.

Arby's sketch was good.

Big Boys was a dumb idea and not funny, but well executed.

I absolutely adored how she stood up for herself when being compared to Zendaya. I didn't see her as shading Zendaya, just talking about her own fabulousness.

• Applause 2
  • Love 6
7 hours ago, Tachi Rocinante said:

OK ep.  Keke was a little too hyper, but that's kinda her MO. Lost a little respect for her after the shade on Zendaya.

Arby's sketch was good.

Big Boys was a dumb idea and not funny, but well executed.

I normally don’t mind her hyper-ness but it didn’t work here.

I gained respect for her after that Zendaya thing.  But I also do not like Zendaya and I like Keke.

I was disappointed by the big boy song.  The songs used to be so funny.  

On 12/4/2022 at 1:13 AM, Ms Blue Jay said:

Obviously Keke was a major part of it.  I don't even know her child work, but I saw her in "Nope" and she was just this glowing star through the whole movie.  I also know her from "Hustlers".  Other than that I just think it's funny videos from the internet, like when she decried Rose in "Titanic".  She 100% was voicing everything I had already thought when I saw that movie.

Keke always gives 100%. Great comedic timing. But I encourage you to also look at her dramatic work. She's very good. Starting with "Akeelah and the Bee," a movie she carried when she was only 12.

23 hours ago, peeayebee said:

Can't say I thought this was a very good ep, though Keke was high-energy, giving it her all. My problem was that I couldn't always understand her. She talked fast a lot of the time.

It's probably because I've followed Keke for years: in interviews, on GMA, on the red carpet, on talk shows, etc., but I'm very used to her rapid-fire talking and can always understand her. LOL

20 hours ago, heatherchandler said:

I like Keke but yeah she was kind of incoherently hyper and I had to turn on the closed captioning.  Which is annoying because it’s delayed.  I don’t think she was very funny, especially in the monologue.  Really bad.

The show was a total dud.  The audience wasn’t into it at all.  Except for times when they went crazy laughing at stuff that was not funny.  The rebuilding years are rough but this is really bad.  

I did like Longfellow, but the audience didn’t get it.

I'm sorry you didn't like the episode. And maybe it's an unpopular opinion, but I really like this cast. The OG's Keenan, Cecily, and Heidi always bring it. Is Ego considered a veteran? In any event, she's consistently funny and focused (although tonight I saw her almost break during the Drake sketch--doesn't happen often). The newer cast members are good as well, although they're still finding their comfort level. 

This episode just didn't have enough Chloe Fineman for me--she's one of my favorites. 

On 12/4/2022 at 4:00 AM, vb68 said:

Anyway "Big Boys" was the best music video/sketch they have done in forever. It reminded me of "Twin Bed", which must be 10 years ago now.

Same. The production value alone was great. Plus the singing and rapping were amazing. I love it that it's also the women and not just the guys that are making music videos.

But one of my favorites will always be the Pete Davidson PS5/Stu video. 

Edited by topanga
  • Useful 2
  • Love 5

I LOVE Keke's big, bold, and vibrant personality! She gave 100% and the cast was totally vibing with her. 

Personally, I didn't have any problem understanding her, and, just like with the Megan Thee Stallion episode, I laughed so much. 

The Dynasty spoof might have been my favorite skit. And Hello Kitty...well, I learned some things, lol. Also enjoyed the performances in the Big Boy song. Like @topanga said, the rapping and singing were AMAZING, and I love that the women are making music videos. Punky especially has some talent in that area, and I'm glad to see her used more overall. 

The new cast members are getting more opportunities to perform and I love to see it! 

For the folk that enjoy Keke, check her out on season 3 of HBO's Legendary! On a show chock FULL of HUGE personalities, Keke fits right in and sometimes even stands out. 

I think Hollywood and society doesn't always know how to handle wholehearted, full throttle, outspoken women like Keke. She's no doormat or shrinking violet, and I hope she keeps on shining and making the world gag on her fabulousness.

• Love 6
On 12/4/2022 at 4:00 AM, vb68 said:

Anyway "Big Boys" was the best music video/sketch they have done in forever. It reminded me of "Twin Bed", which must be 10 years ago now.

"Twin Bed" worked so well because the premise was somewhat believable.  This? Not even remotely.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
16 hours ago, JakeyJokes said:

I just found a meme page on Instagram last week that linked to a bit of Joan Collins and Diahann Carroll on DYNASTY, and now I have to think either Keke or one of the writers saw the same thing and were inspired.

James Anderson, who used to write for SNL for about 20 years, came back as a guest writer. I assume he was involved in this as he used to write or co-write many of the soap parody sketches and camp sketches that are homages to TV (like the time Cecily and RuPaul played Julia Sugarbaker). I can definitely see them not being able to resist the idea of Keke as Dominique.

22 hours ago, possibilities said:

The unbelievable part was Punkie not knowing a big woman can have the same effect.

Punkie co-wrote this, apparently. I wonder if they ever thought of her being paired up with a woman. Maybe they thought it would confuse the song too much, I don't know. 

Keke was super enthusiastic, however, I didn’t get most of the settings or jokes. What was funny about a satire of Dynasty? What is Keenan and Kel? I did enjoy the premise of Hello Kitty, that she wasn’t a cat (I always assumed it is a cat?), though the “New Yawk!”ending was unnecessary. And the doubt cast on deals from fast food restaurants, though it should have been “financially be possible” not “physically be possible.” Also, “grandmas under 30” and Florida, LOL (sort of).

• Like 1
13 hours ago, ajsnaves said:

Didn’t she talk about how she liked a big woman in the song? After she sang about why she wanted a big boy?  Or am I misremembering?

I thought she said a woman couldn't give her that, so she needed a big boy. I might have missed it, though, because things move fast and I sometimes do miss lyrics to songs.

I spent the monologue staring at Keke's boobs and wondering the entire time why she chose that outfit and why a woman would need to spotlight boobs when they are an accomplished thespian and artist and don't need cheap exposure. Reading here, I guess I'm the only one. I didn't even hear any monologue as I spent that time thinking WHY boobs, why. And not coming up with an answer.

• LOL 1
21 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

I spent the monologue staring at Keke's boobs and wondering the entire time why she chose that outfit and why a woman would need to spotlight boobs when they are an accomplished thespian and artist and don't need cheap exposure. Reading here, I guess I'm the only one. I didn't even hear any monologue as I spent that time thinking WHY boobs, why. And not coming up with an answer.

I'll join you so you won't be alone at your table! I was also wondering 'why boobs?' but then she made the announcement, and I was like, 'ohh, pregnancy boobs!'

• Love 2
25 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

2 minutes ago, Trini said:

I'll join you so you won't be alone at your table! I was also wondering 'why boobs?' but then she made the announcement, and I was like, 'ohh, pregnancy boobs!'

I’ll never host SNL, and if I did, I’m sure I’d wear a tasteful high-neck pantsuit, but as someone who’s bought their bras from the preteen department, and was amazed at what happened during pregnancy and breastfeeding, I can understand the temptation to show off a bit!

• Like 2

I’ve always felt I was kinda in the minority in not being that high on this episode. I didn’t think it was bad at all, but there was a number of pieces in it (cold open, leadoff sketch, the brand sketches) that I felt brought it down as a whole for me. And, I didn’t *get* the Kenan & Kel as I’m not familiar with the show itself nor All That. I felt Update and several of thr post-Update sketches were quite solid though, and the monologue was the best of the night for me. Although, if there’s something most of it agreed on in regards to this episode is that Keke was a lot of fun as the host.

If anybody’s interested, here’s my full thoughts on this episode in my review of it on my blog. You can also find my other reviews of this season it as well:

https://bloodsnlreviews.com/2022/12/04/december-3-2022-keke-palmer-sza-s48-e7/

Edited by Blood Meridian
Missing “was” before there