Type keyword(s) to search

Gymnastics

SophiaD
  • Start Topic

Many of the men don't want to risk injury before the preliminaries. There's no reason to throw your best skills out there when you're just testing the equipment.

That makes sense ... for a men's team known for splatting and choking.  

I'm watching the women's podium training and they're doing their competition routines--especially the vaults.  And they're not falling down either or rolling out like the US men do.  Aly stuck both her vaults ... she's looking very ready for the competition.  

Simone looks relaxed and confident.  Marta is all smiles around Simone and giving her hugs  Aly seems serious, like she knows she has a job to do and she's going to do it.  Gabby is unusually quiet ... she's making very little eye contact with the other girls, almost like she's got something heavy on her mind.  She has looked OK with her routines.  Laurie looked great on floor.  She seems excited to just be there.

Very impressive ... 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, AuntieDiane6 said:

Simone looks relaxed and confident.  Marta is all smiles around Simone and giving her hugs  Aly seems serious, like she knows she has a job to do and she's going to do it.  Gabby is unusually quiet ... she's making very little eye contact with the other girls, almost like she's got something heavy on her mind.  She has looked OK with her routines.  Laurie looked great on floor.  She seems excited to just be there.

Very impressive ... 

RE: Gabby's behavior: this is consistent with how she was in London, at least according to Jordyn Weiber. Back in 2012, Gabby apparently kept to herself and lived "inside her own bubble." She was friendly with everyone, but when it came to the competition itself, she went into "a zone." 

• Love 3

Gabby is unusually quiet ... she's making very little eye contact with the other girls, almost like she's got something heavy on her mind.  She has looked OK with her routines.

Martha did this interview with the FIG she described Gabby as "inward" compared to Simone being very social. I think deep down Gabby is a shy person and isn't very social. I do think she likes to keep to herself it helps her get in the zone.  Nastia and Shawn were the same way when they competed. I remember when Rebecca Bross injured her knee Shawn was at the water cooler in her own world ten minutes later she is asking Alicia what happened.

Edited by choclatechip45

I'm also cheering for Japan to take the team gold, though if China by some strange turn of events ends up winning AGAIN I will LOL for days. 

That's the big problem with the Japanese ... they put so much pressure on themselves that they end up imploding by the sixth event.  

• Love 1

I've seen mixed things in the last few hours - one story indicating that Marta has decided on Aly, Gabby, and Simone for all around, and another indicating that while that *appears* to be how she's leaning given how she set up Thursday's training that nothing has actually been decided.

Granted, I'm a lady in a sweatshirt sitting on my couch right now who has watched like 3 hours of gymnastics in the last month, but it seems like such a miss if Laurie is excluded. She was the one who actually stood out to me at trials in terms of all around potential, actually more than Simone. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, hendersonrocks said:

I've seen mixed things in the last few hours - one story indicating that Marta has decided on Aly, Gabby, and Simone for all around, and another indicating that while that *appears* to be how she's leaning given how she set up Thursday's training that nothing has actually been decided.

Granted, I'm a lady in a sweatshirt sitting on my couch right now who has watched like 3 hours of gymnastics in the last month, but it seems like such a miss if Laurie is excluded. She was the one who actually stood out to me at trials in terms of all around potential, actually more than Simone. 

They don't release the line ups until tomorrow, but it's pretty obvious it will be Gabby, Aly and Simone from training. Plus Maggie (Laurie coach) was quoted in an ESPN article saying Laurie is not doing the all around.  I would say Martha is 100% leaning towards Aly, Gabby and Simone. Martha never confirms the lineups ahead of time. Laurie definitely was the star of the trials I do think she was over scored. I would put her in the all around over Aly.

Edited by choclatechip45
  • Love 2
22 hours ago, PoshSprinkles said:

Team USA MAG <3 <3 <3. At least our team is good-looking. <3 

I'm secretly hoping USA MAG can hit their routines and capitalize on the falls of other teams and take the bronze. I really don't want Great Britain on the medal stand. I'm also cheering for Japan to take the team gold, though if China by some strange turn of events ends up winning AGAIN I will LOL for days. 

Why  don't we (well you ;) ) like Great Britain? 

Japan seriously needs to be calm, and just, get this over and done with, but i am with you if China wins again, there will be lots of LOLs. 

22 hours ago, PoshSprinkles said:

Team USA MAG <3 <3 <3. At least our team is good-looking. <3 

I'm secretly hoping USA MAG can hit their routines and capitalize on the falls of other teams and take the bronze. I really don't want Great Britain on the medal stand. I'm also cheering for Japan to take the team gold, though if China by some strange turn of events ends up winning AGAIN I will LOL for days. 

Why  don't we (well you ;) ) like Great Britain? 

Japan seriously needs to be calm, and just, get this over and done with, but i am with you if China wins again, there will be lots of LOLs. 

If it's true that Laurie wasn't chosen to compete in the all-around, I would be disappointed for her. She's proven herself worthy of competing for that medal along with Simone and Aly.

Edited by Steph619
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, PoshSprinkles said:

I go back and forth with Great Britain all the time. On the one hand, I'm proud of them for making huge strides in their program and improving, but on the other hand I can't take some of their team member's cockiness and overconfidence. I also don't like that certain members of the team are not treated well by other members of the team. 

I hope Japan just wins outright with no drama. I was gutted in 2012 when they got booed after their score was bumped up after the inquiry. Blame the judges, not the team. It's too bad it had to be Ukraine that got bumped down.  

Thats fair :)

I will say this right now - I have nothing against Simone Biles and team USA. but I am firmly on Team "Drama". ;) so I am hoping for some All Around Upsets (and team Final upsets). 

• Love 1

In my dream world, the US men would win a team media (doesn't matter the color) t, and Aly would win an all-around medal of any color.  Also, Levvya would win a medal for the high bar.  Again, this is just my dream world.  I don't expect it to happen.

I don't really understand the concept of being Team Drama if it means the all the athletes in the competition aren't performing to their abilities or someone has to fall for the event to be deemed "exciting."

Simone is far and away the best gymnast, so I don't know how you couldn't root for her to win the AA title. Boring or not, she's managed to maintain a pretty unprecedented level of dominance throughout the entire quad. And while Olympic gold medals aren't career achievement awards, if anyone other than her wins the gold, it also will not be an accurate reflection of who the best gymnast in the world is.

Edited by KFC
  • Love 5
7 hours ago, KFC said:

I don't really understand the concept of being Team Drama if it means the all the athletes in the competition aren't performing to their abilities or someone has to fall for the event to be deemed "exciting."

Simone is far and away the best gymnast, so I don't know how you couldn't root for her to win the AA title. Boring or not, she's managed to maintain a pretty unprecedented level of dominance throughout the entire quad. And while Olympic gold medals aren't career achievement awards, if anyone other than her wins the gold, it also will not be an accurate reflection of who the best gymnast in the world is.

For me, it's not about people not performing to their abilities, or someone falling so it can be exciting.  It just means that someone rose to the occasion, and had the meet of their lives. I just think about 96, the United States weren't the heavy medal favourites for the Gold medal, newly formed Russia was. the Drama came because United States were amazing night one and just took off and never really let go in regards to their performance (until fault, and we know what happened then). or the Drama that in 2000 Romania won Gold over Russia (which considering that rivalry must have hurt them more than losing 4 years prior). 

Heck, "Drama" could even be what happened in London when Jordyn Weiber (who didn't even have a bad competition ) qualified 3rd, behind Gabby + Aly. Aly just was better that night.   or further back, Drama was Shannon Miller v. Tatiana Gutsu and that being decided with less than 1200ths of a point. or (well before that memorable disaster of a bar routine), Olga Korbut shocking (then impressing) the pants off everyone, including the person who was expected to win - then she went to seventh (which was sad), but then ended up stealing everyone's hearts anyway, and winning other medals.

I'm not rooting against Simone Biles, I have nothing against her. She'll 99.9% win and it will be really impressive that she does. But I think it would also be something to see - if that .1 percent showed her beautiful head and made something happened that make you have that Olympic memory and give you something to remember. and for me who has seen many an upset in many sport - it doesn't matter who the best is in the world to that point (or of all time) - its who laid it down for 4  rotations and won that night (for me). but milage will totally vary on this and that's fine :)

(as an edited note)
Posh Sprinkles - I am surprised about the mind games. I know that you can't throw up the entire team to go - but I had thought basically if a person wanted to go for the all around - they could they would just do all 4 events. I didn't know that Marta was basically selecting who would be able to qualify and who would not. but i know things change every Olympics or so (and I am not someone who religiously follows the sport in between Olympics though i do keep tabs, so maybe that has changed). 

• Love 1

@Daisy Thank you for articulating what I had in my head about "drama", but couldn't describe well on paper! 

As for the AA selection, I wish they'd just let anyone who wants to qualify for the AA do all the apparatuses (not the four up, three count methodology) and then let the chips fall where they may. 

Right? that's how it used to be - I mean it didn't change that politics still didn't happen @PoshSprinkles - like remember, Tatiana Gutsu "won" her spot because Rosa Galiava was "injured" (and she wasn't). but i would think for qualifications let everyone compete, and let it shake out. (though in my honest opinion and i know it is very unpopular) I want compulsories (with a strong focus on the artistic) part to be back - then have team finals also count toward team + all around, and go from there). but i'm an old fuddy duddy. 

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, PoshSprinkles said:

@Daisy Thank you for articulating what I had in my head about "drama", but couldn't describe well on paper! 

As for the AA selection, I wish they'd just let anyone who wants to qualify for the AA do all the apparatuses (not the four up, three count methodology) and then let the chips fall where they may. 

I agree with letting whoever wants to try for all-around to compete for it. If they're going to limit it to the top two per country then they should let everyone who wants to try for AA to try for it. That way you also get the best two at that moment from that country to compete in the AA. They could still do the four up three count and have countries submit which athletes those will be per apparatus but then allow everyone up who is also trying to qualify for AA.

I totally agree. Not only would it give the athletes the opportunity to take their fates in their own hands, but it would cut back a bit on the type of backlash that is currently happening over the team coordinator's decision. I mean, I feel bad for Laurie, but I feel bad for Aly too, because this is going to become a Thing. If she does anything less than qualifying and medaling, people are going to second guess the decision to let her try over Laurie for years to come. I also think, though, that the "two athletes per country" isn't the right thing for the sport or athletes. A system where the top five qualify regardless would work better, I think--or do something like what they do in figure skating. If your top two finishers at worlds have a combined placement of whatever or under, your country earns a third all around slot. I understand it's about fairness between countries, but it really works so harshly against countries with a real depth of talent. 

• Love 1
43 minutes ago, Jillibean said:

I totally agree. Not only would it give the athletes the opportunity to take their fates in their own hands, but it would cut back a bit on the type of backlash that is currently happening over the team coordinator's decision. I mean, I feel bad for Laurie, but I feel bad for Aly too, because this is going to become a Thing. If she does anything less than qualifying and medaling, people are going to second guess the decision to let her try over Laurie for years to come. I also think, though, that the "two athletes per country" isn't the right thing for the sport or athletes. A system where the top five qualify regardless would work better, I think--or do something like what they do in figure skating. If your top two finishers at worlds have a combined placement of whatever or under, your country earns a third all around slot. I understand it's about fairness between countries, but it really works so harshly against countries with a real depth of talent. 

i guess ultimately that's where the line is drawn. I remember this being a Thing in London - Jordyn didn't qualify but she was still one of the higher ranked athletes, and a lot of people were like - that's not fair. etc. I know they removed the third athlete after... i want to say Athens? Or was it Sydney?  and it wasn't really the most popular of moves, and how they do team also bugs me because it's really just 3 people going up. 

I know figure skating allows you to qualify up to 3 in the scenario that you proposed, and that could be fair (I know I don't have an issue with it) - but I also don't have an issue with just having the best 3 (on the day) go, or the best 2 - regardless of the depth. that's also part of the challenge. there really isn't any "fairness" to it, no matter how you shake it. 

but yah . Laurie SHOULD go if she feels she could do it. 

@Jillibean I am so aggravated that it's always Aly that takes the blame for Jordyn and will probably take the blame for Laurie. That's why I want Aly to just go out there and blow everyone away and leave no doubt that she took nothing from no one. 

@Daisy It was the Sydney Olympics where we last had one country sweep the medal stand (Romania), though the results changed as the result of cold medicine-gate so they didn't technically sweep it. Athens was the first Olympics where they had the two-per-country rule.  

Thanks. :) (stupid Romanian doctor). 

and my last stance on "should 3 vs. 2 go" I just think how they have it is fair for the sport to grow. imagine back when the USA wasn't as strong/deep, and it was all the Soviets. it benefitted the USA then they got better, and now one of the Leaders in the sport. I remember Peggy Liddick (i probably spelled her name wrong)'s main motivation to go to Australia and help their programme was that she saw that they really had a good thing starting, and she wanted a challenge. (maybe a USA coach sees Little Jane Doe from <<insert country there>> and go "Hm. I could really make a difference in their programme."  but if Jane from Insert Country Here gets knocked out because the USA/Russia has more depth, then that opportunity doesn't happen and we don't see growth. that may seem silly or too simplistic but... (shrug)

3 hours ago, Daisy said:

For me, it's not about people not performing to their abilities, or someone falling so it can be exciting.  It just means that someone rose to the occasion, and had the meet of their lives. I just think about 96, the United States weren't the heavy medal favourites for the Gold medal, newly formed Russia was. the Drama came because United States were amazing night one and just took off and never really let go in regards to their performance (until fault, and we know what happened then). or the Drama that in 2000 Romania won Gold over Russia (which considering that rivalry must have hurt them more than losing 4 years prior). 

Heck, "Drama" could even be what happened in London when Jordyn Weiber (who didn't even have a bad competition ) qualified 3rd, behind Gabby + Aly. Aly just was better that night.   or further back, Drama was Shannon Miller v. Tatiana Gutsu and that being decided with less than 1200ths of a point. or (well before that memorable disaster of a bar routine), Olga Korbut shocking (then impressing) the pants off everyone, including the person who was expected to win - then she went to seventh (which was sad), but then ended up stealing everyone's hearts anyway, and winning other medals.

I'm not rooting against Simone Biles, I have nothing against her. She'll 99.9% win and it will be really impressive that she does. But I think it would also be something to see - if that .1 percent showed her beautiful head and made something happened that make you have that Olympic memory and give you something to remember. and for me who has seen many an upset in many sport - it doesn't matter who the best is in the world to that point (or of all time) - its who laid it down for 4  rotations and won that night (for me). but milage will totally vary on this and that's fine :)

(as an edited note)
Posh Sprinkles - I am surprised about the mind games. I know that you can't throw up the entire team to go - but I had thought basically if a person wanted to go for the all around - they could they would just do all 4 events. I didn't know that Marta was basically selecting who would be able to qualify and who would not. but i know things change every Olympics or so (and I am not someone who religiously follows the sport in between Olympics though i do keep tabs, so maybe that has changed). 

I get what you're saying, but I think the landscape has just changed so much that for Biles to lose, she'd literally have to fall multiple times (and on several events) to lose. She just has such a massive buffer over the entire competition, that even a lights out performance from another athlete wouldn't beat Biles if she's anywhere near what she normally delivers.

There's no one who really comes close to her as an All-Around athlete, whereas there was infinitely more depth in 1992, and to a certain extent 1996. It's just not like that in gymnastics anymore (or at the moment). In those games there was 8-10 athletes who were in contention for the podium and gold.

• Love 2
On July 20, 2016 at 7:26 PM, Minneapple said:

I don't understand why the rest of the world has fallen off so badly in women's gymnastics. Can anyone explain? I mean Romania, which has a rich gymnastics tradition, isn't even sending a full team to the Olympics! Are there up-and-coming countries in the sport? 

I remember talk in previous Olympics that Romania's women's program had deteriorated to no creativity, no originality.   It was the same moves recycled into new routines.  Nothing challenging or new. I'm specifically referring to the 1998 Olympics, which I watched closely.

On July 20, 2016 at 8:38 PM, CeeBeeGee said:

Team Great Britain has been moving up in the ranks. Beth Tweddle put them on the map with her World golds in floor and bars (and of course her bars bronze in London, the first ever Olympic medal for the British women). After that the GB girls started putting together some really creative bars routines. Helped by the Russians' atrocious team final in Glasgow last year, the Brits took the team bronze--I am hoping they will stand on the podium one way or another in Rio.

I'm glad to hear this.  I was at the 1998 Olympics in Atlanta, and saw Great Britain perform - I was shocked.  I don't know why I thought they would be on the competetive level comparable to the US, but they weren't even on the level of high school gymnastics.  I want to say there was an extremely small team - maybe even only one girl.   I think Japan's women were similarly weak.  We watched what seemed like the D-level teams. Not only did they not stick any landings, they never even landed on their feet!  They rolled out of bounds, landed on their butts, fell off the mats, fell off beams, fell off bars.   After hours of watching, I can honestly say there were no stuck landings, not even landings with one, two, three hops. I was really uninformed.   I had no idea that teams on this level could make it to the Olympics.  It was eye opening. 

• Love 1
On 7/20/2016 at 7:26 PM, Minneapple said:

I don't understand why the rest of the world has fallen off so badly in women's gymnastics. Can anyone explain? I mean Romania, which has a rich gymnastics tradition, isn't even sending a full team to the Olympics! Are there up-and-coming countries in the sport? 

Apparently a lot of the good Romanian gymnastics (including the Karolyis) moved to the U.S.

And the country funds gymnastics training, and the gymnastics budget has been cut drastically. So there isn't a lot of money to pay coaches and gyms. 

In terms of other sports, Simona Halep is a WTA tennis player from Romania who's currently ranked #3 in the world. 

1 hour ago, Shangrilala said:

Ugh.  I kind of hate that msn link.  Have they ever done an evolution of women's track and field beauty trends?  Or mens swimming fashion trends?  Can the media please look at these women as serious athletes?

The leotards are bedazzled, they wear glittery eyeshadow and sparkles in their hair. I think it's perfectly fair to do the piece. The Associated Press did a package about all the patriotic manicures that the athletes have been sporting. There's nothing wrong with beauty or fashion and it doesn't mean they're not serious athletes. It's just a fun angle.

Here's an article about the leos.They're custom made and yes, have Swarovski crystals. And, as usual, Marta rules all, even in the world of leos.

http://www.cosmopolitan.com/style-beauty/fashion/a62586/olympic-leotard-facts/

Edited by Minneapple
  • Love 6

The Final 5 does superlatives  my favorite is Rhonda backing up Aly that she is good at Math because she saw Aly's high school transcript. For those who don't know Aly was committed to UF before she went pro. Rhonda was the head coach. She also recruited Laurie which is why you hear Laurie asking her if she is smart.

• Love 3
On 8/23/2016 at 10:37 AM, Princess Sparkle said:

She might be the only person small enough to comfortably curl up and sleep in coach.  

Are any of you competitive gymnasts (or know any competitive gymnasts)? I recently finished the novel You Will Know Me, and its main plot line revolves around a mother whose 15-year old daughter is a competitive gymnast who is trying to make it to the Elite level. She talks about the long hours of training, the money, the physiological effects of gymnastics training, and the mindset of gymnastics parents.  I didn't realize that a lot of female gymnasts in their teens have never had their periods (according to the novel, anyway). 

It makes me wonder about this year's Final Five Olympic gymnasts: of course, they are genetically smaller and more athletically gifted than other girls (or young women) their age. But how much does rigorous gymnastics training stunt their physical and hormonal maturation? (For both women and men). For example, would Gabby Douglas have grown three inches if she hadn't taken 2 years off from training? Or even if she'd continued to train, would her body have done what a normal 17-18 year-old female body should do--grow taller and get curvier? 

• Love 2

I've actually wondered about this also - is it the physical training that stunts the growth curve of the serious young gymnast, or do the genetically taller/bigger girls naturally drop from the sport because it requires a certain genetically pre-disposed body type?  

• Love 3
2 hours ago, topanga said:

Are any of you competitive gymnasts (or know any competitive gymnasts)? I recently finished the novel You Will Know Me, and its main plot line revolves around a mother whose 15-year old daughter is a competitive gymnast who is trying to make it to the Elite level. She talks about the long hours of training, the money, the physiological effects of gymnastics training, and the mindset of gymnastics parents.  I didn't realize that a lot of female gymnasts in their teens have never had their periods (according to the novel, anyway). 

It makes me wonder about this year's Final Five Olympic gymnasts: of course, they are genetically smaller and more athletically gifted than other girls (or young women) their age. But how much does rigorous gymnastics training stunt their physical and hormonal maturation? (For both women and men). For example, would Gabby Douglas have grown three inches if she hadn't taken 2 years off from training? Or even if she'd continued to train, would her body have done what a normal 17-18 year-old female body should do--grow taller and get curvier? 

I was never a competitive gymnast however  Kyla was getting taller every year she was competing. So training wasn't stunting her growth.  I feel bad for Kyla during the perisocope with Miss Val you could tell she was insecure about her height. She said she is 5'7. 

The Final 5 Simone is the only under 5 feet. The Fierce Five Gabby was the only one under 5 feet.  I am curious about this too. 

Edited by choclatechip45
  • Love 1

The leotards are bedazzled, they wear glittery eyeshadow and sparkles in their hair. I think it's perfectly fair to do the piece. The Associated Press did a package about all the patriotic manicures that the athletes have been sporting. There's nothing wrong with beauty or fashion and it doesn't mean they're not serious athletes. It's just a fun angle.

Normally I would agree 100% with this.  But with gymnastics it leaves a bad taste in my mouth.  I don't think it's a coincidence that as the sport has gotten more difficult, the frill factor has increased as well.  I saw an article on that or heard an interview about that, how as the body type changed once again, from tiny and thin to greater emphasis on muscle to handle the increased athleticism and strength of the routines under the scoring system, also with that increased the sparkles, the makeup, the stud earrings (once considered a huge safety factor) so that everybody be reminded that they are still "girls."  It sends me this message that says "Look, here are these amazing athletes!  But don't worry - they still wear glitter eyeshadow, they are still little girls."  Does that matter?  Why should that matter?

And considering the history the sport has with the emphasis on appearance - back in the early 90s they were still projecting the girls weight up on your television screen - and the ramifications such emphasis on look and appearance has had on some young athletes - I just don't like the article.  Maybe if it was part of an overall look series on Olympic fashion and how it has changed over the years.  Or maybe if they had a piece on the swimsuit, and how technology has changed the swimsuit so it aids the swimmer, and it's fitted to each swimmer or something I wouldn't think much of it.  

Yes, perception and presentation is a part of gymnastics.  There are rules of appearance that the girls have to follow.  And they will always wear team leotards, and hell, even I liked the crystals.  They sparkled, they were pretty.  I like sparkly.  But quite frankly, I wonder what the scenario would be if Aly didn't really feel like wearing glitter eyeshadow?  If Simone Byles wants glitter in her hair, but Laurie doesn't, so be it.  I'm not saying that the women's gymnastics team shouldn't enjoy and/or explore their femininity.  But that it shouldn't serve as a footnote to their abilities and accomplishments.  By itself, it's a fluff piece.  But in the greater context of the sport, I just doesn't sit well. 

• Love 1

topanga: There was a non-fiction book written in 1995, when female gymnasts were still tiny and very young, that talked about the stunted puberty many of them (and figure skaters) suffered. In some cases, coaches effectively tried to keep them overworked/underfed enough to ensure puberty would be delayed (or they would be amenorrheic). The book was LITTLE GIRLS IN PRETTY BOXES, by Joan Ryan. While it's obvious there have been changes since (many of them changes she called for in the book), I think it should answer at least some of your questions. It has a Wikipedia page here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Girls_in_Pretty_Boxes.

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, HartofDixie said:

Even though this was published before her time I feel like Rebecca Bross would fit in this article very well. I remember 2009 or 2010 national championships Al saying how we might have a WOGA repeat. I was never a huge fan of Bross but the note she left McKayla Marnoney after she made the Olympic team might be one of the classiest things I've seen from any of these gymnasts.

• Love 1

I'm a gynecologist.  I think there are a combination of factors involved, including heredity, but, yes, big time, competitive sports can and does delay puberty and ultimately cause a teen to not grow to her full potential height.  Take a look at any of these young women and compare them to their mothers and sisters; the competitive gymnast/figure skater is almost invariably the smallest one in her family, even if everyone is shorter than average.  Sure, there is some selection going on in that tinier girls are going to be steered into gymnastics or figure skating where their size gives them an advantage; just as taller girls may end up in basketball, volleyball or swimming where height works in their favor.  But, it's not just that; they often started as preschoolers or early elementary schoolers when their height is not much different than their peers.  Something happened along the line to make their growth curve slow.  And that something is the physical exercise and dietary restrictions often imposed on these girls.

It is well known that exercise can cause amenorrhea (no periods) due to its effects on the hormones.  The term is hypothalamic amenorrhea.  Body fat content also plays a role in puberty; an already slender girl placed on a low fat diet is just not going to go into puberty as soon as a medium sized girl eating a regular amount of fat in her diet.  Many young athletes who participate in organized sports will miss their periods during times of peak training, like when their sport is in season; but in the case of big time gymnastics or skating, where training is almost a year-round activity and where maintaining a slight frame is valued; it is far more prevalent.  There have been reports of young athletes even being given hormones to suppress their puberty to maintain their narrow hips/flat chest thought the Olympics.  I don't think it is an accident that many of these young women suddenly experience a 'growth spurt' after the Olympics is over and, at least in some cases, I believe there has been a deliberate attempt to delay puberty; at least using diet and exercise; and perhaps in some cases, using medication.

• Love 4

So pics/gifs of Laurie Hernandez have just gone viral from the VMAs. The Final Five (minus Gabby, who was apparently hospitalized -- get well, Gabby) presented the Best Female Video award and Beyonce won. Laurie hugged Beyonce and her fangirly face upon meeting Queen Bey is all over twitter. SO ADORABLE, no wonder they call her the human emoji.

Us too, Laurie. Us, too. 

Also there are rumors all over the place that she'll be on Dancing With the Stars. 

Edited by Minneapple
  • Love 2