Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
SophiaD

Gymnastics

1 hour ago, HartofDixie said:

God  bless her; she has been a credit to the sport both in and out of the gym.  Her leadership and clear voice as she told her story to the world in the wake of Nassar's crimes are going to be her legacy to the sport.  Gymnastics owes her a world of gratitude and thanks.

• Like 10

We miss you already, Aly!!! Thanks for all your fantastic leadership in this wonderful sport.

• Like 6

On 8/20/2019 at 8:14 PM, HartofDixie said:

Update on Maggie Haney:

Via the OC RegisterUSA Gymnastics hearing on abuse charges against Maggie Haney opens Monday  – "Hernandez is expected to testify, McCusker is not"

More than a dozen people including Olympic gold medalist Laurie Hernandez are expected to testify against Maggie Haney in a USA Gymnastics hearing Monday on verbal and emotional abuse allegations against the New Jersey-based coach of Olympic and world champion gymnasts, the Southern California News Group has learned.

Haney is alleged to have screamed, swore at, threatened, bullied, and harassed gymnasts on a regular basis, according to USA Gymnastics documents and interviews with six people familiar with the complaints. Haney has also told injured gymnasts to remove boot casts and to continue training and competing, according to USA Gymnastics documents and interviews.

Edited by Just Here
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, HartofDixie said:

USAG has suspended Maggie Haney. Not sure if her gymnasts trying to make the team will switch gyms.

I wish USAG did something earlier and not now. It is too late to switch gyms? 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, HartofDixie said:

USAG has suspended Maggie Haney. Not sure if her gymnasts trying to make the team will switch gym

Riley is already such an inconsistent gymnast. I hope this doesn’t completely mess her up. I hope having a new coach who is supportive and not abusive will help her really flourish.

• Like 4

According to Reddit, Riley is training at Jade Carey's gym with her dad as her coach. Very smart decision as she and Jade are not in competition with one another for a team spot. 

Yul was stripped of all his cup assignments and no one can figure out why, including Yul. People are postulating it has to do with Winter Cup results, but nothing definitive has come out. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CeeBeeGee said:

Laurie?

Yes she chose to skip this one as this camp is to determine spots for Jesolo etc. Shes going to April camp.

• Like 1

https://www.latimes.com/sports/story/2020-03-02/simone-biles-aly-raisman-decry-settlement-in-larry-nassar-scandal

USA Gymnastics is trash and this settlement is a joke. First releasing the Karolis and Penny from future  claims without giving a full account of who knew what when is wrong and Simone , Aly and everyone else aren't having it not should they. Wasnt Steve Penny arrested for evidence tampering. Why protect him over the victims. 

Second what kind of B.S. is doling out settlements based on how successful a gymnast you are.

• Like 6

8 hours ago, shoregirl said:

https://www.latimes.com/sports/story/2020-03-02/simone-biles-aly-raisman-decry-settlement-in-larry-nassar-scandal

USA Gymnastics is trash and this settlement is a joke. First releasing the Karolis and Penny from future  claims without giving a full account of who knew what when is wrong and Simone , Aly and everyone else aren't having it not should they. Wasnt Steve Penny arrested for evidence tampering. Why protect him over the victims. 

Second what kind of B.S. is doling out settlements based on how successful a gymnast you are.

That's such crap. Wow a deal that would protect the Karolis and Penny from future claims? Way keep trying to cover up and do the wrong thing USA Gymnastics. I'm glad Simone, Aly and the rest aren't having it. 

Yes, Penny was arrested for evidence tampering in late 2018.

• Like 1

American Cup TV information - 
March 7 – Women’s Competition – 12:30-2:30 p.m. ET – NBC (Live)
March 7 – Men’s Competition – 5:00-7:30 p.m. ET – NBCSN (Live)

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

Today is Simone's 23rd birthday. USA Gymnastics posted something for her birthday and Simone responded. Again reminding everyone the USA Gymnastics is failing the survivors by be fully transparent and have a independent investigation.

• Like 13

8 hours ago, shoregirl said:

Today is Simone's 23rd birthday. USA Gymnastics posted something for her birthday and Simone responded. Again reminding everyone the USA Gymnastics is failing the survivors by be fully transparent and have a independent investigation.

Good for her. At the same time crappy for USA Gymnastics to post something on her birthday. Hey USA Gymnastics no one wants to hear from you on their birthday certainly not another victim that you let down and protected her molester. 

• Like 7

On 3/14/2020 at 5:07 PM, shoregirl said:

They didn't even use her correct Twitter handle in their tweet.

• Laugh 2

On 3/12/2020 at 10:45 PM, Growsonwalls said:

Well I found this interview with Ludmila Tourischeva.

https://eng.gymnovosti.com/tourishcheva-in-1972-we-were-sent-off-as-if-we-went-to-war/

I am stunned at her insensitive comments about Tatiana Gutsu’s rape allegations and her cruel comments about Olga Korbut. I love old videos of her gymnastics but ... wow.

From the article:

Q: Did you get emotional when our Yulya Nesterenko won at the 2004 Games, while competing against black sprinters?

VB: It was a surprise as well. One of the most sensitive topics in the sport is “innocent until proven guilty”. I know for sure, that, starting at the 1968 Games, countries began to use pharmaceutical support. Elite American sport began looking for a competitive advantage for their athletes.

FUCK YOUUUUUUUUUUU. Fuck you and your oh-so-Russian obsession with black athletes (cf. Maria Paseka, the Russian media, etc.). Friendly reminder it was the Soviet bloc that started the juicing trend--not the Americans.

Q: The harassment scandals touching Belorussian artistic gymnastics are breaking hearts. In 2017, Tatiana Gutsu said that Vitaly Scherbo allegedly raped her in 1991. In 2018, Olga Korbut accused her coach Ronald Knysh of rape on tv. What do you feel during such moments?

LT: If there was no scandal then [when it happened], it means there shouldn’t be one now. It was needed to claim this when it happened – go scream! I have not witnessed harassment and I’m hurt when such things come up while talking events in artistic gymnastics from more than 40 years ago. It’s not the alleged participants who are hurt by the harassment accusations but everyone around them.

VB: Exactly. Confessions about sexual harassments are fashionable now and, as it turned out, everyone harassed everyone at some point.

GROSSSSSSSSSSSSSS. Oh my God, these people should just STFU if they can't be compassionate. I always thought Ludmilla was a class act but this is awful in a particularly Russian way (it's an extremely sexist culture). Gross gross gross. Also I thought it's been commonly accepted for years that Olga suffered under her coach.

• Like 3
  • Sad 4

8 hours ago, CeeBeeGee said:

From the article:

FUCK YOUUUUUUUUUUU. Fuck you and your oh-so-Russian obsession with black athletes (cf. Maria Paseka, the Russian media, etc.). Friendly reminder it was the Soviet bloc that started the juicing trend--not the Americans.

GROSSSSSSSSSSSSSS. Oh my God, these people should just STFU if they can't be compassionate. I always thought Ludmilla was a class act but this is awful in a particularly Russian way (it's an extremely sexist culture). Gross gross gross. Also I thought it's been commonly accepted for years that Olga suffered under her coach.

Yeah they sound like the sexist, racist couple from hell.

Many of Olga's teammates have actually backed up her story about abuse.

Here is one hair-curling article:

https://eng.gymnovosti.com/everyone-knew-more-ex-gymnasts-came-forward-with-accusations-about-renald-knysh/

• Sad 2

32 minutes ago, CeeBeeGee said:

It's official--the Games are being pushed back to 2019.

Best decision but will FIG keep the 2017-2020 COP for next year? Will 2005 birth year gymnasts be eligible to go now?  What about gymnasts that have already deferred a year for NCAA?

• Useful 2

Well I guess since everyone is locked down at home I found this awesome routine by Natalia Shaposhnikova:

I love all the lower beam work she does.

• Like 1

That one-arm move she did was way cool. I wonder if Simone has seen that? 😃

• Like 1

I’m curious about the age limit now. Are they going to have the cutoff stay the same as if it were 2020, or will people who were a year too young now be eligible? I’m also curious about the people who were trying to qualify through the World Cup series. I’m sort of doubting that those events will still happen, which leaves out gymnasts like Jade who thought they’d qualify that way.

• Like 1

On 3/24/2020 at 4:42 PM, Jeddah said:

I’m curious about the age limit now. Are they going to have the cutoff stay the same as if it were 2020, or will people who were a year too young now be eligible? I’m also curious about the people who were trying to qualify through the World Cup series. I’m sort of doubting that those events will still happen, which leaves out gymnasts like Jade who thought they’d qualify that way.

I'm doubtful they'd let girls turning senior in 2021 compete in the games.

For one, they haven't been paced to train for a spot on the Olympic team so asking them to get into Olympic shape in one year with full routines that take advantage of a code they weren't expecting to compete under is asking a lot.

Also, not allowing those girls to complete takes nothing away from them- they were never going to be part of the 2020 games anyway.

The only silver lining around this whole Olympic postponement is that Asuka Teramoto should be able to recover from her injury and be able to compete at her home Olympics. ❤️

• Like 4