Type keyword(s) to search

Gymnastics

SophiaD
  • Start Topic

Today is Simone's 23rd birthday. USA Gymnastics posted something for her birthday and Simone responded. Again reminding everyone the USA Gymnastics is failing the survivors by be fully transparent and have a independent investigation.

• Love 13
8 hours ago, shoregirl said:

Today is Simone's 23rd birthday. USA Gymnastics posted something for her birthday and Simone responded. Again reminding everyone the USA Gymnastics is failing the survivors by be fully transparent and have a independent investigation.

Good for her. At the same time crappy for USA Gymnastics to post something on her birthday. Hey USA Gymnastics no one wants to hear from you on their birthday certainly not another victim that you let down and protected her molester. 

• Love 7
On 3/14/2020 at 5:07 PM, shoregirl said:

They didn't even use her correct Twitter handle in their tweet.

• LOL 2
On 3/12/2020 at 10:45 PM, Growsonwalls said:

Well I found this interview with Ludmila Tourischeva.

https://eng.gymnovosti.com/tourishcheva-in-1972-we-were-sent-off-as-if-we-went-to-war/

I am stunned at her insensitive comments about Tatiana Gutsu’s rape allegations and her cruel comments about Olga Korbut. I love old videos of her gymnastics but ... wow.

From the article:

Q: Did you get emotional when our Yulya Nesterenko won at the 2004 Games, while competing against black sprinters?

VB: It was a surprise as well. One of the most sensitive topics in the sport is “innocent until proven guilty”. I know for sure, that, starting at the 1968 Games, countries began to use pharmaceutical support. Elite American sport began looking for a competitive advantage for their athletes.

FUCK YOUUUUUUUUUUU. Fuck you and your oh-so-Russian obsession with black athletes (cf. Maria Paseka, the Russian media, etc.). Friendly reminder it was the Soviet bloc that started the juicing trend--not the Americans.

Q: The harassment scandals touching Belorussian artistic gymnastics are breaking hearts. In 2017, Tatiana Gutsu said that Vitaly Scherbo allegedly raped her in 1991. In 2018, Olga Korbut accused her coach Ronald Knysh of rape on tv. What do you feel during such moments?

LT: If there was no scandal then [when it happened], it means there shouldn’t be one now. It was needed to claim this when it happened – go scream! I have not witnessed harassment and I’m hurt when such things come up while talking events in artistic gymnastics from more than 40 years ago. It’s not the alleged participants who are hurt by the harassment accusations but everyone around them.

VB: Exactly. Confessions about sexual harassments are fashionable now and, as it turned out, everyone harassed everyone at some point.

GROSSSSSSSSSSSSSS. Oh my God, these people should just STFU if they can't be compassionate. I always thought Ludmilla was a class act but this is awful in a particularly Russian way (it's an extremely sexist culture). Gross gross gross. Also I thought it's been commonly accepted for years that Olga suffered under her coach.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, CeeBeeGee said:

From the article:

FUCK YOUUUUUUUUUUU. Fuck you and your oh-so-Russian obsession with black athletes (cf. Maria Paseka, the Russian media, etc.). Friendly reminder it was the Soviet bloc that started the juicing trend--not the Americans.

GROSSSSSSSSSSSSSS. Oh my God, these people should just STFU if they can't be compassionate. I always thought Ludmilla was a class act but this is awful in a particularly Russian way (it's an extremely sexist culture). Gross gross gross. Also I thought it's been commonly accepted for years that Olga suffered under her coach.

Yeah they sound like the sexist, racist couple from hell.

Many of Olga's teammates have actually backed up her story about abuse.

Here is one hair-curling article:

https://eng.gymnovosti.com/everyone-knew-more-ex-gymnasts-came-forward-with-accusations-about-renald-knysh/

I’m curious about the age limit now. Are they going to have the cutoff stay the same as if it were 2020, or will people who were a year too young now be eligible? I’m also curious about the people who were trying to qualify through the World Cup series. I’m sort of doubting that those events will still happen, which leaves out gymnasts like Jade who thought they’d qualify that way.

• Love 1
49 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

I cringed when they mentioned the Ranch. 

Right??! "Let's relive the bonding you all did at the Ranch!" *vomit* It's like watching 2012 trials and seeing Mack carted away after her concussion and Dr. McFuckFace is trotting next to her. It's shocking all over again.

ETA: They're showing the AA final now. OMG Aly and Simone holding hands as they walk from the beam to the floor! That is adorable.

Edited by CeeBeeGee
  • Love 2
11 hours ago, CeeBeeGee said:

It's like watching 2012 trials and seeing Mack carted away after her concussion and Dr. McFuckFace is trotting next to her. It's shocking all over again.

It makes my skin crawl. Now when I rewatch things on YouTube, I notice him in the background so much. It makes me so angry.

• Love 5
On 4/14/2020 at 9:04 AM, Jeddah said:

It makes my skin crawl. Now when I rewatch things on YouTube, I notice him in the background so much. It makes me so angry.

Same here. Not just 2012 when rewatching 1996 Atlanta team gymnastic competition not long after it came out he molested gymnasts he's pretty noticeable there too. He was the doctor who attended to Kerri Strug after she injured her ankle. Knowing he's going to go on and molest so many more athletes and so many at USA gymnastics knew and did nothing.

Edited by andromeda331
On 4/12/2020 at 9:54 AM, Growsonwalls said:

David Lease has a long interview with gym legend Daniela Silivas:

Thank you! I was a fan in 88. Even wrote her a letter and sent it to the Olympics Village.   (Returned,  not surprisingly in hindsight. )

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Sew Sumi said:

Shawn and Nastia are hosting IG Lives tonight at 7 eastern to relive Bejing (airing simultaneously on NBCSN).

I really enjoy Nastia watching her own gymnastics. She kind of hates it. She always says she wishes she had been able to do this or that acro tumbling pass.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, ML89 said:

Terry Gannon announces Simone Biles' handstand challenge:

Challenge? Seriously, who else could do that sh*t--except for other gymnasts? Or maybe The Amazing Yen from Ocean's 11. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, PepSinger said:

Funny how they skipped 2000.

Yeah, I wondered if they were going to add in anything at the end. Maybe showing the Americans getting the bronze ten years later at the Nationals? Oh, relieving the vault crap. Then again left Barcelona 1992 off too.

4 minutes ago, legaleagle53 said:

Can we get him to announce at the Olympics next year? Pretty please?

He said in a podcast that he was going to do gymnastics for Tokyo - he did both weeks of golf at Rio so I guess he’ll do gymnastics, then women’s golf (he called canoe and rowing for London) - isn’t gymnastics first week? Or is it both?

• Love 3
1 minute ago, ML89 said:

He said in a podcast that he was going to do gymnastics for Tokyo - he did both weeks of golf at Rio so I guess he’ll do gymnastics, then women’s golf (he called canoe and rowing for London) - isn’t gymnastics first week? Or is it both?

Excellent. He's really good at doing the call himself instead of just being the straight guy to whoever's doing the figure skating commentary these days!

• Love 3
On 4/21/2020 at 5:40 PM, Sew Sumi said:

Shawn and Nastia are hosting IG Lives tonight at 7 eastern to relive Bejing (airing simultaneously on NBCSN).

They started out wearing their All-Around leotards, but it wasn't long before Nastia commented that she couldn't feel her arms and they agreed to change into sweatshirts XD

Watching the 2004 All-Around, I was reminded how I felt kind of bad for Carly Patterson. Everyone REALLY wanted her to be another perky, outgoing Mary Lou Retton, and she just wasn't. She was quiet and kind of shy in interviews, and there's nothing wrong with that. But I remember that some people gave her crap for having no personality. It was too bad.

And watching the 1996 team competition was a breath of fresh air in terms of the commentary. John Tesh was trying to inject some drama, but nowhere near as bad as you-know-who, and Tim and Elfi were much more restrained as well. Then the last rotation happened and the drama and schmaltz went into overdrive, and they've been trying to recapture that ever since.

It was fun to see that competition again, though. I had forgotten the "ok they've got this in the bag, just need a decent vault from Dominique -- oops she keeps landing on her butt" part of the story.

4 hours ago, tracyscott76 said:

And watching the 1996 team competition was a breath of fresh air in terms of the commentary. John Tesh was trying to inject some drama, but nowhere near as bad as you-know-who, and Tim and Elfi were much more restrained as well. Then the last rotation happened and the drama and schmaltz went into overdrive, and they've been trying to recapture that ever since.

On the other hand, '96 was the year of the infamous "Little girls...dancing!" video. (That was '96, right?)

• Love 1
39 minutes ago, CeeBeeGee said:

On the other hand, '96 was the year of the infamous "Little girls...dancing!" video. (That was '96, right?)

'Fraid I don't recall that, but it sounds dodgy as hell.

Those old school fluff pieces that show the Chinese/Russian/Romanian gymnasts as scared abuse victims and American's girls as "healthy" always make me cringe now that we know about the horrific abuse the "healthy" American girls endured because of Larry Nassar.

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, tracyscott76 said:

'Fraid I don't recall that, but it sounds dodgy as hell.

It wasn't particularly sketchy but it was cringe-inducing. It was a montage of girl gymnasts, the younger and more adorable the better (Moceanu was prominently featured so it must've been '96), doing floor routines to the tune of Aaron Copland's "The Gift to be Simple" with Tesh saying over that "Listen! Little girls...dancing!" It was hilariously terrible, it infantilized these amazing athletes to a ridiculous degree. 

However, if you want sketchy, I offer you fluff from the '92 Games--a montage of all the women gymnasts, "posing" like they have them do in these things, with Eric Clapton's "Wonderful Tonight" playing underneath. Your jaw just drops at the inappropriateness. I can't seem to find videos on YouTube but if you watch the whole broadcasts they'll pop up.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, CeeBeeGee said:

It wasn't particularly sketchy but it was cringe-inducing. It was a montage of girl gymnasts, the younger and more adorable the better (Moceanu was prominently featured so it must've been '96), doing floor routines to the tune of Aaron Copland's "The Gift to be Simple" with Tesh saying over that "Listen! Little girls...dancing!" It was hilariously terrible, it infantilized these amazing athletes to a ridiculous degree. 

However, if you want sketchy, I offer you fluff from the '92 Games--a montage of all the women gymnasts, "posing" like they have them do in these things, with Eric Clapton's "Wonderful Tonight" playing underneath. Your jaw just drops at the inappropriateness. I can't seem to find videos on YouTube but if you watch the whole broadcasts they'll pop up.

I'll take your word for the Copland one and will choose not to seek that out XD

But yeah, I do remember that thing from '92. As I recall, they did a bunch of those sort of videos for different sports set to popular songs and actually released a "Barcelona Gold" soundtrack album (which I got, just for the Freddie Mercury/Montserrat Caballe "Barcelona" song).

So I guess the ridiculousness predates the Trautmeister. He and his overlords have just elevated it to a new level.