Type keyword(s) to search

Gymnastics

SophiaD
  • Start Topic

10 hours ago, Darknight said:

Apparently some are upset she is doing this. I'd say good for her. 

Wait, what the actual FUCK? Upset, why? Because she's sponsoring/setting up her own tour as opposed to dutifully doing USAG's tour? Why on earth should she be expected to be beholden to anything they do? "You had one job."

I'm so stoked about this tour. I've seen the last two--this time I'm going to get the super-expensive tickets so I can cheer for Simone from Row 3. 

• Love 5
3 hours ago, CeeBeeGee said:

Wait, what the actual FUCK? Upset, why? Because she's sponsoring/setting up her own tour as opposed to dutifully doing USAG's tour? Why on earth should she be expected to be beholden to anything they do? "You had one job."

I'm so stoked about this tour. I've seen the last two--this time I'm going to get the super-expensive tickets so I can cheer for Simone from Row 3. 

Ugh. Jonathan Horton complained on twitter about the men being “booted” from the tour. Whatever. They were never a part of this tour, so how were they “booted”? Maybe the men could fund their own tour if they didn’t choke at every single competition. Simone does not owe the men’s team anything, and she definitely does not owe USAG anything.

Edited by Jeddah
  • Love 12
On 12/11/2019 at 5:10 AM, CeeBeeGee said:

Look the last tour was so boring. I'm hyped for Simone. Fuck the USAG. 

• Love 4
On 1/4/2020 at 2:19 AM, Darknight said:

Is it me or is Shawn pimping out her own kid? 

Because she posts pictures of her on social media like lots of other parents? Or is there something I'm missing?

Edited by tracyscott76
2 hours ago, tracyscott76 said:

Because she posts pictures of her on social media like lots of other parents? Or is there something I'm missing?

She does more than post pictures. Most parents don’t use their kid to get a Buy Buy Baby commercial.

1 hour ago, Jeddah said:

She does more than post pictures. Most parents don’t use their kid to get a Buy Buy Baby commercial.

Fair enough, although "most parents" also aren't the celebrity endorsement that a company like Buy Buy Baby would be looking for and wouldn't even get the chance to "use their kid"; they might take the opportunity if it were given. But I suppose the scale of behavior that reaches "pimping out your kid" levels varies for everyone. For me, this isn't so bad and I've seen much worse.

I know a woman who got one of her kids into a Pampers commercial because he was a really cute baby. Money was put into a trust until he's of legal age (I think it has to be in most states where the commercials  would be filmed)  and Pampers will be pretty much paying for his entire college education.  Given how tightly regulated an infant or toddler's time on a tv sound stage and how many expenses an 18-24 year old will later have,  one or two  commercials at union pay rates would seem to be a very efficient way to help your kid launch down the road. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, selkie said:

I know a woman who got one of her kids into a Pampers commercial because he was a really cute baby. Money was put into a trust until he's of legal age (I think it has to be in most states where the commercials  would be filmed)  and Pampers will be pretty much paying for his entire college education.  Given how tightly regulated an infant or toddler's time on a tv sound stage and how many expenses an 18-24 year old will later have,  one or two  commercials at union pay rates would seem to be a very efficient way to help your kid launch down the road. 

Did your friend also have a YouTube channel documenting every moment of the kid’s life for strangers to see?

For the record I’m not the one who used the phrase “pimping out” her kid. But I do find the oversharing for the sake of a profit to be troubling, and I think it will only hurt her daughter in the long run.

Edited by Jeddah
On 1/5/2020 at 10:32 AM, tracyscott76 said:

More than that. The ads, the baby getting her own Instagram, the YouTube channel. They keep nothing private. I don't like it when parents do this to their child. 

• Love 1

*shrugs* They're certainly not the only parents who overshare their kids on social media (although maybe given their troubles with having a child it's a little more understandable that they're showing off Drew a bit more), and again, I see the ad campaign as just taking advantage of an opportunity that they were offered. If it goes much past babyhood maybe I'll be more concerned. But for now I personally don't really see the harm and won't judge them too harshly. Others can and will feel differently.

3 hours ago, tracyscott76 said:

*shrugs* They're certainly not the only parents who overshare their kids on social media (although maybe given their troubles with having a child it's a little more understandable that they're showing off Drew a bit more), and again, I see the ad campaign as just taking advantage of an opportunity that they were offered. If it goes much past babyhood maybe I'll be more concerned. But for now I personally don't really see the harm and won't judge them too harshly. Others can and will feel differently.

I decided to watch one of their videos to see if maybe it’s not as bad as I thought. They described the sketchy hotel room where they had “naked time” and conceived Drew. Shawn even says Drew will be mortified by that story someday, but clearly that doesn’t matter to Shawn as much as making money. If they want to profit by sharing those stories with the world, that’s their right. I feel really, really bad for Drew though.

• Love 1
On 8/20/2019 at 8:14 PM, HartofDixie said:

Update on Maggie Haney:

Via the OC RegisterUSA Gymnastics hearing on abuse charges against Maggie Haney opens Monday  – "Hernandez is expected to testify, McCusker is not"

More than a dozen people including Olympic gold medalist Laurie Hernandez are expected to testify against Maggie Haney in a USA Gymnastics hearing Monday on verbal and emotional abuse allegations against the New Jersey-based coach of Olympic and world champion gymnasts, the Southern California News Group has learned.

Haney is alleged to have screamed, swore at, threatened, bullied, and harassed gymnasts on a regular basis, according to USA Gymnastics documents and interviews with six people familiar with the complaints. Haney has also told injured gymnasts to remove boot casts and to continue training and competing, according to USA Gymnastics documents and interviews.

Edited by Just Here
  • Love 3
9 hours ago, HartofDixie said:

USAG has suspended Maggie Haney. Not sure if her gymnasts trying to make the team will switch gyms.

I wish USAG did something earlier and not now. It is too late to switch gyms? 

• Love 2
10 hours ago, HartofDixie said:

USAG has suspended Maggie Haney. Not sure if her gymnasts trying to make the team will switch gym

Riley is already such an inconsistent gymnast. I hope this doesn’t completely mess her up. I hope having a new coach who is supportive and not abusive will help her really flourish.

• Love 4

https://www.latimes.com/sports/story/2020-03-02/simone-biles-aly-raisman-decry-settlement-in-larry-nassar-scandal

USA Gymnastics is trash and this settlement is a joke. First releasing the Karolis and Penny from future  claims without giving a full account of who knew what when is wrong and Simone , Aly and everyone else aren't having it not should they. Wasnt Steve Penny arrested for evidence tampering. Why protect him over the victims. 

Second what kind of B.S. is doling out settlements based on how successful a gymnast you are.

• Love 6
8 hours ago, shoregirl said:

https://www.latimes.com/sports/story/2020-03-02/simone-biles-aly-raisman-decry-settlement-in-larry-nassar-scandal

USA Gymnastics is trash and this settlement is a joke. First releasing the Karolis and Penny from future  claims without giving a full account of who knew what when is wrong and Simone , Aly and everyone else aren't having it not should they. Wasnt Steve Penny arrested for evidence tampering. Why protect him over the victims. 

Second what kind of B.S. is doling out settlements based on how successful a gymnast you are.

That's such crap. Wow a deal that would protect the Karolis and Penny from future claims? Way keep trying to cover up and do the wrong thing USA Gymnastics. I'm glad Simone, Aly and the rest aren't having it. 

Yes, Penny was arrested for evidence tampering in late 2018.

• Love 1