Type keyword(s) to search

Gymnastics

SophiaD
  • Start Topic

On 8/23/2018 at 8:18 PM, Snow Apple said:

Is the wolf turn a requirement? I've never seen it until recent years and almost none are perfect. One poor girl even fell on floors. Heck, even Simone bobbled it up on beams.

The gymnasts are required to do at least a full turn on the beam, but there's no minimum difficulty requirement.  They used to have to do a full turn on floor, but I think that requirement was removed for the current quad.  

• Love 1

Sanne Wevers won Olympic gold because of her beautiful turns, and none were a wolf turn. I know being able to do what she did is a rare thing, but I wish gymnasts would use her as an example that there are lots of ways to rack up points from turns that aren’t wolf turns.

Edited by Jeddah
  • Love 8
9 minutes ago, Cindyluwho said:

Seriously?  

Mary Lou was opposed to legislation introduced in Congress which was designed to protect young athletes from sexually predatory coaches, etc.  She had strong ties to USA Gymnastics at the time the story broke and the organization opposed the bill which was supported by many of the victims.  Remember, Mary Lou trained with the Karolyi’s And remained tight with them.  She went so far as to visit Diane Feinstein’s office with then USAG President, Steve Perry, in an effort to get Feinstein to withdraw the bill.  

It was not Mary Lou’s finest hour.

• Love 7

I've been re-watching old gymnastics meets on YouTube. Re: 2012 US Nationals (and the trials--I remember them, although they are currently not on YT), I have a question. What in HELL was Nastia thinking, not getting around to full runthroughs of her bars routines until the week before Nationals? What in God's name did she and Valeri expect? She made an utter fool out of herself--it's excruciating to watch those bars sets. I say this as a fan of Nastia, I've always liked her gymnastics. But what the hell? A WEEK. Didn't she decide to come back almost a year prior? (I remember she tweeted during 2011 Worlds "let the journey begin" or something like that.) But she didn't start full runthroughs until a week before Nationals?

Also in the What was Valeri thinking category: for God's sake, Valeri, stop making Bross do the Patterson! She can't land it. Watching her sit that down over and over was also excruciating. She deserved better.

• Love 5
13 hours ago, CeeBeeGee said:

I've been re-watching old gymnastics meets on YouTube. Re: 2012 US Nationals (and the trials--I remember them, although they are currently not on YT), I have a question. What in HELL was Nastia thinking, not getting around to full runthroughs of her bars routines until the week before Nationals? What in God's name did she and Valeri expect? She made an utter fool out of herself--it's excruciating to watch those bars sets. I say this as a fan of Nastia, I've always liked her gymnastics. But what the hell? A WEEK. Didn't she decide to come back almost a year prior? (I remember she tweeted during 2011 Worlds "let the journey begin" or something like that.) But she didn't start full runthroughs until a week before Nationals?

Also in the What was Valeri thinking category: for God's sake, Valeri, stop making Bross do the Patterson! She can't land it. Watching her sit that down over and over was also excruciating. She deserved better.

I think she expected to make the team based on what she did in 2008.  She still would have had at least 3 weeks after Trials before the Olympics began to have better routines.  I'm not sure if she just wanted a shot at team gold or if she really thought that bar routine could get into event finals.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, CeeBeeGee said:

I think Nastia was just hoping it would come together, and it didn’t. Sometimes that does magically work for athletes. In figure skating Hanyu hadn’t done a full run through of his long program until right before the Olympics because of an injury, and he won. So I think sometimes it all does just come together at the perfect moment, but Nastia just ran out of time. I’m guessing she  also got better endorsement deals if companies thought she might get back to the Olympics, so why not keep acting like it was a possibility for as long as possible?

Speaking of it just not coming together for some athletes: I agree with you about Rebecca Bross. She was one unlucky gymnast.

• Love 3

Question why do people like gymnast said they're coming back when they're not?

On 9/8/2018 at 10:11 PM, legaleagle53 said:

And in other news, Mary Lou Retton is doing Dancing with the Stars. She's a Nassar supporter, which I imagine will go over VERY well with the viewers!

Really? Omg

9 hours ago, Darknight said:

Yes. Shawn did this. I think Laurie is doing this too

I think Shawn started after not making the World team.  I think she saw the writing on the wall but kept it up for endorsements.

Laurie is definitely doing this.  I heard she was going to CA to train but she has yet to post anything online about it all I see is her posting selfies, endorsing stuff and being on vacation.

6 hours ago, HartofDixie said:

I think Shawn started after not making the World team.  I think she saw the writing on the wall but kept it up for endorsements.

Laurie is definitely doing this.  I heard she was going to CA to train but she has yet to post anything online about it all I see is her posting selfies, endorsing stuff and being on vacation.

Why not just say I'm not coming back?

2 hours ago, Darknight said:

Why not just say I'm not coming back?

She'll make more money if she is "training" for 2020 than if she's semi retired.

There's a website that you can look up athletes to see when they were last tested.  https://www.usada.org/testing/results/athlete-test-history/

Simone has been tested 6 times this year.  Laurie has been tested once so far this year and last year was tested 5 times.  Her test this year was in the 1st quarter so unless she's taken herself out of the pool she's due for another one soon.

Edited by HartofDixie
  • Love 1

Dear Olympic Channel,

Thank you for showing the gymnastics world cup events. Seriously, thank you. It's great to see these events, which you're showing even when there aren't any Americans competing. So really, kudos and thank you.

But please, for the love of all that is holy, hire someone to replace the British guy doing the commentating on these events. He doesn't appear to know anything about gymnastics, and consistently says insulting things about the gymnasts. Ellie Black was "disappointing" on the vault at the Paris World Cup? She won a freaking silver medal! Saying that Juliette Bossu would be happy to see Ellie Downie fall off the bars? How insulting! And imagine, Oksana Chusovitina's been on the world stage all the way back to Athens in 2004! Try Barcelona in 1992, you idiot!

Sincerely,

A Gymnastics Fan

Edited by ombelico
  • Love 9
7 hours ago, HartofDixie said:

Nominative list for World team: Simone Biles, Morgan Hurd, Riley McCusker, Grace McCallum, Kara Eaker, Shilese Jones (alternate).

No Carey? That is a bit of a surprise given she would be a lock for a floor medal and a strong contender for a vault medal. Is she aiming for one of the individual spots at the Olympics? 

Very happy for Shilese getting the alternate spot, she has improved so much this year and is really developing into a lovely balanced all-arounder.

22 hours ago, cesstar said:

No Carey? That is a bit of a surprise given she would be a lock for a floor medal and a strong contender for a vault medal. Is she aiming for one of the individual spots at the Olympics? 

Very happy for Shilese getting the alternate spot, she has improved so much this year and is really developing into a lovely balanced all-arounder.

https://balancebeamsituation.com/2018/10/02/the-jade-carey-problem/

Wow, that seems a risky strategy for the US and potentially also for her... two years is a long time and anything can happen. I hope she doesn't regret her decision to forgo Worlds.

Thanks for the link - I think I finally understand the new convoluted path to Olympic qualification!

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, PoshSprinkles said:

Oh, and a decently lit auditorium and functioning vault that doesn't maim people. 

Lol. Don't hold your breath on the decently lit auditorium.....

I would love Mai to retain her floor title! That was a wonderful moment when she won last year. Other (WAG) wishes: Hurd medals on floor, Mustafina wins bars, Belgium and Australia make team finals, Romania get a respectable score... oh and no injuries please!

31 minutes ago, Silver Raven said:

People are wondering how that will go over with Simone Biles, who is sponsored by Nike.

Not Well. I would like to be surprised that Usa Gymnastics could be this imcompentant but clearly they have priven they are you they are

• Love 13

From the article:

Penny's attorney, Edith Matthai, said he was arrested while on vacation with his family in Tennessee and had no knowledge that there had been an indictment in Texas.

"If Mr. Penny had any idea he was sought in Texas this would have been appropriately handled through counsel without terrifying his family," Matthai said. She added that he is confident the facts will show he did nothing criminal.

Riiiiiiiiight. He was indicted by a grand jury three weeks ago and he had no idea! He's the real victim because the marshals arrested him while he was on vacation!

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 9

What an utter. fucking. shitshow.

I just hope the athletes can stay strong and focused. I don't care if they win at Worlds or not--this is way beyond that--I just don't want this to *ruin* Worlds for them.

Honey, I don't GAF about Penny's terrified family. Try imagining you're an Olympic athlete and the doctor you're supposed to trust is violating you in a dark hotel room. In McKayla's brilliantly artless words, "I thought I was going to die."

That's terror.

• Love 8
On 20/10/2018 at 11:34 PM, HartofDixie said:

Gabby will appear in tonight’s Hallmark channel film.

Huh? I didn't know Gabby was going the acting route! I had a quick look and it seems like it's an actual role (i.e. not as herself). I don't have Hallmark but will be interested to hear how she goes!

An article on Ellie Downie, looks like she will do AA at the Championships. Apart from Simone, the women's AA field is very competitive this year - Hurd/McCusker/McCullum (it's a toss of the coin who will be the second qualifier!), Murakami, Black, Melnikova, even some of the French and Belgium girls could end up on the podium. Very exciting!

6 hours ago, HartofDixie said:

Ragan is the alternate and Simone, Morgan, Riley are doing AA in quals.

If they weren’t going to use Ragan, I wish they had just left her at home to let her ankle heal!

• Love 3

Based on the performances at the worlds selection camp, I think taking Ragan was the correct choice. Yes, she's still dealing with her ankle, but she earned her spot to travel to Worlds, and could easily step in for the team on any event. I understand the rationale to say that she just spent the last 2+ weeks doing a bunch of routines that maybe she didn't need to do (especially on the hard floor in the training hall), but no one can predict the future and if someone had gotten injured, she was/is ready to come in and cover the spot.

9 hours ago, ombelico said:

Based on the performances at the worlds selection camp, I think taking Ragan was the correct choice. Yes, she's still dealing with her ankle, but she earned her spot to travel to Worlds, and could easily step in for the team on any event. I understand the rationale to say that she just spent the last 2+ weeks doing a bunch of routines that maybe she didn't need to do (especially on the hard floor in the training hall), but no one can predict the future and if someone had gotten injured, she was/is ready to come in and cover the spot.

I don’t know much about what happened at world selection camp. I didn’t think she should go to the camp after Nationals. She just looked like she was in so much pain after floor.

For the record, I’m not criticizing Ragan. She could definitely have made the podium at Worlds, even injured. I understand why she would go for it. I just feel bad for her because this is two years in a row she’s gone to Worlds without getting to compete. It’s a lot of pain to go through, only to not even compete.

Edited by Jeddah