Type keyword(s) to search

Gymnastics

SophiaD
  • Start Topic

Does anybody think that Al Trautwig annoys the heck out of Nastia?  A couple times he made off-topic remarks about a gymnast (the Japanese gymnast's haircut, for example) and asked Nastia for her opinion and she completely ignored him.  You wonder if he's making passes at her off-screen or something … IMHO.  

Of course, she could be concentrating on the, you know, actual gymnastics.

• Love 3

I know Tatyana McFadden was named paralympic athlete of the year, I'm just befuddled at how she had to have the qualifier in front of her name. If the winner this year was someone who has never been in the Olympics over McFadden, who has won at the Olympics and who basically wins everything she enters, well I guess I don't understand the qualifications for the awards. Is this a "you go girl" award?  Honestly, this  year.....McFadden?? Carli Lloyd??  Serena?? This gal deserves the award over them? We give the Olympic athlete award to one who hasn't been there, done that? Okay.

Edited by pennben

It's the 'Olympic Sports' category, which doesn't really have to do whether the athlete has gone to the Olympics yet but is more about categorizing individual vs. team sports. And the award was for athletic excellence in 2015, not the last Olympic year of 2012 where Biles was too young to compete and Ledecky was still filed under 'promising youngster who could be something special come Rio'. Can't really hold it against either of them being only 14/15 in 2012.

What each girl has accomplished since London has been mind-blowing. Serena didn't have a Greatest OF All Time Year- plenty of other women have won 3 slams in a year, and Steffi got slam + gold.

As far as paralympians go, I'll admit to giving them a little less due to a) how there can be 10-20 different disability classifications for each event, leaving only a handful of athletes in each category and b) how an athlete is put into a classification can often be an opaque political process rather than a straightforward medical decision. A part of me wants to see Amy Van Dyken make a comeback in whatever paralyzed athlete classification she can get into and see the chaos that would come from an able-bodied gold medalist back in the day who could probably totally overwrite the record book in whatever category she was assigned to.

Edited by selkie

A part of me wants to see Amy Van Dyken make a comeback in whatever paralyzed athlete classification she can get into and see the chaos that would come from an able-bodied gold medalist back in the day who could probably totally overwrite the record book in whatever category she was assigned to.

Based on your post, selkie, I looked up Amy Van Dyken on Wikipedia--oh my God. I had no idea.

Remember 1984 Olympic Gold Medalist Peter Vidmar?  He and his wife have been called to Melbourne, Australia to preside over the Australia Melbourne Mission of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (that's "Mormon" to most of you) for the next three years.

Best of luck to you, President Vidmar!

McKayla, we were all impressed indeed. I respect the heck out of a girl who, in the face of crushing disappointment over losing Olympic gold in the vault, managed to turn around and laugh at herself when she became an internet meme.  And then go back and take a World Championships in her event a year later.

I get the sense that, wherever she ends up going in life from here, she's going to be just fine.

• Love 5

I really liked McKayla and was really hoping to see her in Rio. But she seems at peace with the decision.

Some of what she said in that interview sounded terrible....they weren't allowed to smile? That's harsh.

I really liked McKayla and was really hoping to see her in Rio. But she seems at peace with the decision.

Some of what she said in that interview sounded terrible....they weren't allowed to smile? That's harsh.

Very revealing interview. Elite gymnasts really have no life, it sounds like. And to hear her say that they'd feel too uncomfortable to eat in front of their coaches? Did the coaches pressure them not to eat much? That's not healthy. 

And, on the other side of the issue, NBC is showing the AT & T invitational this weekend. 

BC presents live coverage of this year’s first international gymnastics competition, the 2016 AT&T American Cup, this Saturday, Mar. 5, at 1 p.m. ET from the Prudential Center in Newark, N.J. Gymnasts from 11 countries are expected to compete in the event, which is part of the International Gymnastics Federation’s all-around World Cup series.

Representing the U.S. are 2015 World team gold-medalist Gabby Douglas, who is also the reigning Olympic all-around champion, 2015 World team gold-medalist Maggie Nichols, three-time U.S. all-around champion and 2012 Olympian Sam Mikulak, and two-time World medalist Donnell Whittenburg.

Simone Biles won't be competing in a national competition until April. Is she injured?

They probably are also concerned about her peaking too soon.  Olympics throw everything off and some of the best gymnasts still peak before the Games.  Limiting Simone's competitions will (hopefully) keep her fresh and healthy by the time she gets to Rio.

• Love 1

Watching the American Cup on NBC and they're reminiscing about Kyla and Mack, saying what they're most remembered for. And Dumbass All, as they're showing footage of Mack's vault during team finals in London (you know--THAT vault), says "And we're all remember her for her look of disdain as she..." God, he didn't even mention that amazing vault. Shut up, Al! 

• Love 1

I really have no problem with it being brought up. If she wasn't from the US, they would run it into the ground even more.

The thing about not smiling would certainly get more play if it was applied to a non-US team. That was a theme of derision applied to other teams when I was growing up in the 1970s and 1980s.

The coverage of this event is awful. It's mostly been coverage of US athletes performing or just sitting on the floor, interviews that I don't care about, and discussion of people who aren't there. I have a "who cares" feeling about it all.

I'm not sure how I feel about the strategy of putting together a high start value routine that you can't perform cleanly, take big deductions relative to other competitors, but still come out ahead. It looks like that strategy is going to win the men's competition. I would rather see a good performance win than a guy with enormous start values but sloppy execution.

• Love 2

IIf she wasn't from the US, they would run it into the ground even more.

The thing about not smiling would certainly get more play if it was applied to a non-US team. That was a theme of derision applied to other teams when I was growing up in the 1970s and 1980s.

And it would be just as rude and disrespectful. Mack isn't most remembered for the not-impressed look--she's remembered for two World vault golds and a stuck landing on the best vault in the London games. Certainly for actual fans of the sport, who are the only ones likely to be watching the American Cup.

• Love 2

Gabby is such a boss. I adore Simone and will be thrilled if/when she wins the AA in Rio, but I would be over the moon if Gabby could somehow repeat.

And could they please stick to discussing only the gymnasts who are competing? I remember in London that whenever Aly got ready to compete, they would bring up Jordyn, now they're doing the same with Simone whenever Gabby competes.

• Love 2
(edited)

And it would be just as rude and disrespectful. Mack isn't most remembered for the not-impressed look--she's remembered for two World vault golds and a stuck landing on the best vault in the London games. Certainly for actual fans of the sport, who are the only ones likely to be watching the American Cup.

You mean like the fans who complain about other countries' athletes comments or "whining"? I agree. Very disrespectful. Especially of a true champion like Svetlana Khorkina. When I think of *her* I think of enormous grace and beautiful gymnastics. Apparently, that's not what "actual fans" remember, though.

Edited by azshadowwalker
  • Love 1

I really hate the huge pauses some of the girls take before they spin. Gabby is pretty bad for this, her floor routine had a lot of pauses.

I agree. I kept thinking to myself the same thing about Gabby's floor exercise. I wasn't a fan of her routine at all. I hope she's able to change it up a bit before going to Rio, assuming she gets there which I think is very likely.

Nonetheless, congratulations to her for winning. It's difficult for gymnasts to make a comeback and she most certainly is succeeding at that.

• Love 1

I'm not sure how I feel about the strategy of putting together a high start value routine that you can't perform cleanly, take big deductions relative to other competitors, but still come out ahead. It looks like that strategy is going to win the men's competition. I would rather see a good performance win than a guy with enormous start values but sloppy execution.

This is the exact same scenario playing out in figure skating. Fall five times during a program, but if you're attempting quads all over the place, you can still win! Ugh.

Back to gymnastics, Gabby's beam and bars routines were amazing. Vault was good but she could improve. She did an Amanar in London but I wonder if she can get it back in time? She may not have to. Floor routine is a dud. But to be fair, women's floor is so boring these days. There's little to no "dance" involved anymore. May as well lose the music and do programs like the men.

• Love 2

Svetlana Khorkina grew on me the longer she was around. While I remember her as rather prickly and arrogant at times, she was the bridge between a crumbling USSR and a new Russia and I think modern Russian gymnastics owes her a lot because she gave the new government there such a strong reason to keep funding programs at a time when the transitional economy there was so very shaky. Lots of weight to carry on such a slight body.

• Love 1

Gabby's beam and bars routines were amazing. Vault was good but she could improve. She did an Amanar in London but I wonder if she can get it back in time? She may not have to. Floor routine is a dud.

Gabby used the same floor routine as the one she did at 2015 Worlds. She performed it with a lot more spark and expression there though; she seemed to be going through the motions at American Cup. The landings were great though. Maggie had a new floor routine but it looks very similar to her one from last year. I do wish she'd replace one of her full-in passes with something like a double arabian or a triple twist, just to mix it up a bit (so many double backs!).

• Love 1

You mean like the fans who complain about other countries' athletes comments or "whining"? I agree. Very disrespectful. Especially of a true champion like Svetlana Khorkina. When I think of *her* I think of enormous grace and beautiful gymnastics. Apparently, that's not what "actual fans" remember, though.

You...seem to be responding to something I haven't written. I didn't say anything about other countries' athletes or comments thereabout, or other fans. I certainly said nothing about Sveta, whose gymnastics I quite liked. I'm not sure what you're responding to but I didn't say anything about anybody but Maroney, whose work I admire greatly and who I thought gave a terrific final interview, all of which I thought was dismissed rather glibly by Al in his need to say something he thought was clever. 

• Love 1
(edited)

I think they're trying to keep her from injury by limiting her competitions this season. Rio is all that matters and I don't blame their decision. I want Simone to take it all.

And to give Gabby an AA title this quad.  It appears that Maggie Nichols wasn't competing her full difficulty.  If she had done an Amanar instead of DTY she would have won the American (Scam) Cup.

Edited by HartofDixie

FINALLY!  Somebody got AL TRAUTWIG to SHUT UP during the women's floor routines.  I LOVE the fact that the commentators allow us to simply enjoy the routines without Al prattling on about some nonsense ...  (Hear that, skating commentators?!)

• Love 2

Simone Biles is a freak and I love her and holy crap at her Pac Rim scores. That is all.

I really enjoyed watching Simone--and all of the girls on the American team. I must admit that I hadn't seen her compete except on YouTube clips. I hope the overwhelming pressure to win gold in Rio doesn't get to her. 

I do take issue with the fact that the commentators kept referring to her power over and over. She's so powerful, what a powerful gymnast, she tumbles with power. Yes, she does. But she is also graceful, artistic, and has great balance on that 6-inch wide balance beam. It's exactly what tennis commentators say about Serena Williams, whose game includes much more than power. 

That said, I was blown away by Simone's core strength. When she did things like kneel on the balance beam then stand up going backwards with one fluid motion, I was like HOLY SHIT! Or on the floor, when she was lying almost on her back then stood up quickly, as if someone pulled on a string that was coming out of her chest--same thing. Totally blown away. 

I've never seen competitive trampolining. But I doubt it will make into NBC's extensive 2 hours of coverage of the 3 day event.

I saw a few a little bit of it in the background of some of the other routines.

Oh my God!

Jesus. In less than a generation Romania goes from Olympic team gold repeat to...this. Very, very sad. The Big Four is no more--or at least changed.

I read an article about some the former powerhouses of the former USSR (Romania, Ukraine, Belarus). It seems they struggle to get funding for their national teams, and the teams no longer have most of the high-powered coaches (many of whom have emigrated to the U.S. and Canada) So the teams don't do well in national competitions. And when they don't do well, sponsors go away, which further perpetuates the problem. 

--This is the first time in decades that Romania's gymnastics team failed to qualify for the Olympics. Russia continues to do well, however, and will be well-represented in Rio. 

Oh my God!

Jesus. In less than a generation Romania goes from Olympic team gold repeat to...this. Very, very sad. The Big Four is no more--or at least changed.

The warning signs were there for years, we just chose to ignore them because of their reputation. And talking to a few others online, the overall feeling is that the failure to qualify, as inevitable as it was, is probably the end of Romania as a top team. They just don't have the resources or the talent pool to get back to the top. And it's sad.

• Love 2

Svetlana Khorkina played a big role in helping pull Russian gymnastics out of the funding doldrums, IIRC. I don't particularly like her but I respect the heck out of what she's done to keep the sport above the virtual sports page fold in Russia.

• Love 2

For those who have beIn Sports channel, they're showing something called the FG World Cup/FIG World Challenge Cup. Check your program guide for dates and times for your time zone- managed to set up the Varna and Sao Paulo rounds on my DVR while looking for Giro d'Italia cycling coverage on my guide.

For those who like me have major Olympic fever, TSL has continued their series of amazingly comprehensive gymnast interviews with Chellsie Memmel and Sam Peszek. I love reliving their careers and also hearing what they are up to now. They have also confirmed an interview with 1996 Olympic US WAG head coach, Mary Lee Tracy is coming soon. 

On 6/1/2016 at 10:47 PM, Mittengirl said:

Is there a place to talk about Douglas Family Gold or am I the only one watching it?

I haven't heard of it. Is it a reality show about Gabby Douglas?

1 hour ago, ketchuplover said:

NBC has 3 hours of gymnastics related programming on tonight

They were on last night too.  I was subjected to old AL Troutface again.. Ugh.  I

And Tim Daggett needs a bra.  He's got major man boobs going on.   And for the love of God, could we please get these lady gymnasts some uniforms that don't wind up looking like thongs at the end of their routine? 

Shut up, Al. 

• Love 6