Type keyword(s) to search

Gymnastics

SophiaD
  • Start Topic

On 3/21/2018 at 4:49 PM, ombelico said:

Was there some falling out between her and Maggie Haney?

Yeah supposedly something happened post Olympics and they’re no longer on good terms. So if she does come back it won’t be there. 

14 hours ago, Indy said:

Yeah supposedly something happened post Olympics and they’re no longer on good terms. So if she does come back it won’t be there. 

I think it was related to money - maybe Maggie thought she should get a cut of Laurie’s endorsement cash?

On 3/24/2018 at 1:59 PM, HartofDixie said:

I think it was related to money - maybe Maggie thought she should get a cut of Laurie’s endorsement cash?

Ugh. Athletes don't owe their coaches anything but their coaching fees. Why should they get a cut of endorsements? So selfish. I am sure after the Olympics there are tons of kids coming in. They get free advertisement

Anyone know about the college Simone is endorsing? 

• Love 2
8 hours ago, Darknight said:

Ugh. Athletes don't owe their coaches anything but their coaching fees. Why should they get a cut of endorsements? So selfish. I am sure after the Olympics there are tons of kids coming in. They get free advertisement

Anyone know about the college Simone is endorsing? 

Right? Like, negotiate that shit beforehand, when they first step into the gym, if it's that damn important. Otherwise get your fucking hand out of the wallets of these kids.

• Love 1

The Olympic Channel is airing coverage of the World Championships of Acrobatic gymnastics now until 8 p.m. and then Rhythmic gymnastics from 8-10 p.m.  Acrobatics is certainly interesting.  There might be prior coverage available on the NBCSP app or on olympicchannel.com

2 hours ago, Mittengirl said:

The Olympic Channel is airing coverage of the World Championships of Acrobatic gymnastics now until 8 p.m. and then Rhythmic gymnastics from 8-10 p.m.  Acrobatics is certainly interesting.  There might be prior coverage available on the NBCSP app or on olympicchannel.com

The acrobatics came on my Dvr. So interesting. I have never seen it before.  I found both the pairs teams and women’s group very cool. 

Russian Nationals are happening right now, with Queen Aliya Mustafina somehow looking really quite good with the majority of her skills back despite giving birth not even a year ago. Her handstands on bars remain better than anybody’s. Stamina is an issue for Komova but she could still teach a clinic on leaps, and Melnikova has discovered consistency. How very un-Russian of her. 

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, VCRTracking said:

Some of the comments on the YouTube are just....wow. People are garbage.

That's putting it nicely. It's people like them that make it even harder for people who are abused to come forward.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, VCRTracking said:

Some of the comments on the YouTube are just....wow. People are garbage.

No fucking kidding. I went to town on the comments on that video. Jesus! What is wrong with people? I dearly hope Mack doesn't subject herself to reading that garbage. There are some truly awful people commenting.

• Love 5

USA Gymnastics officials agreed to provide what Larry Nassar's attorney called "false excuses" for his absence from major gymnastics events in 2015, rather than disclose to parents and gymnasts that Nassar was under investigation for child sexual abuse

Excerpt (more at the source):

Emails obtained by IndyStar reveal that on two separate occasions, Nassar and a USA Gymnastics attorney negotiated cover stories — first that Nassar was sick and later that he was focusing on his private practice — to explain why the longtime team physician was not attending two major events in the run-up to the 2016 Olympics.

In one of the emails, Indianapolis attorney Scott D. Himsel told Nassar his medical techniques were under investigation, and "it is in everyone's best interest" that Nassar not attend a gymnastics event that weekend.

Himsel said USA Gymnastics would tell people Nassar was not attending for "personal reasons."

Nassar replied: "Can we just say that i am sick? That would make more sense to everyone. Would that be ok?"

Himsel agreed to have USA Gymnastics use that story.

In later emails — part of more than 900 pages of documents reviewed by IndyStar — Nassar assured Himsel: "I stayed with the story of that I am nauseated, not feeling well and staying home."

And he asked if USA Gymnastics officials would explain his absence from another event by saying Nassar was focusing on his private practice. Again, Himsel agreed to have the organization do so.

It has long been known that USA Gymnastics withheld concerns about Nassar from its members.

But the emails, along with interviews with gymnasts, reveal for the first time that the sport’s national governing body was not only willing to remain silent after reporting Nassar, but also agreed to participate in one of his many deceptions beforehand.

At least partly as a result of such discretion, Nassar's reputation as one of the world's foremost experts on the treatment of gymnastics-related injuries remained intact for 14 months after USA Gymnastics officials reported him to the FBI.

At least 14 more women and girls say they were sexually assaulted after June 2015, when USA Gymnastics received what it has said was its first complaint about Nassar.

On 6/8/2018 at 7:50 PM, PoshSprinkles said:

If USA Gymnastics Goes Down, Who Goes Down with it?

This was my fear from the get-go. All these lawsuits (justified, don't get me wrong) against USAG are going to bankrupt it and then people are going to complain in four years when we bomb at the Tokyo Olympics. 

I don't think it's 2020 where USAG starts having problems (which is only two years away).  Simone will be competing and, barring injury, you know she's still going to bring home a lot of hardware. It's after Tokyo where we see the repercussions. I'm not sure I see a team that could bring home medals, much less gold. It's all going to depend on finding the right leadership and a training method that protects the athletes in all aspects, body and psyche. 

• Love 4

From that article:

Initially, Simone was intending to compete only bars and beam here, but she later revealed that she’s too talented to function and has to do the all-around. Sorry, everyone. Hope you like silver.

Yep. Everyone else in the world is indeed competing for silver this year now. Simone looked like she never took a break. 

• Love 7
3 hours ago, CeeBeeGee said:

Very sorry for Ragan--NBC didn't  show her floor or vault but since she wasn't in the top ten, I'm assuming those did not go well.

They showed Ragan's vault - it was a decent double twisting Yurchenko. She pulled out of floor, presumably to rest her ankle.

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, ombelico said:

They showed Ragan's vault - it was a decent double twisting Yurchenko. She pulled out of floor, presumably to rest her ankle.

Okay, cool. Smart to pull out, when Nationals is what's important. Still tho, congrats to Simone! Loved the BBS write-up, they are consistently hilarious.

• Love 1

Riley looked great! I was a bit worried about whether she would be able to overcome all the recent injuries but she looked strong and focused here. Very excited about her potentially being a key part of the next Worlds team.

Simone impressed me most on her floor (as usual!). It's almost unbelievable, the height that she gets on all her passes, such effortless tumbling. She's lucky that it looks like her body type hasn't changed at all, she's still so slight and compact. That was where Douglas struggled on her comeback, a growth spurt can be very challenging when trying to relearn all your skills!

Shame about the beam fall for Morgan but I do love her floor, she has such charisma and performance value. Her bars were also looking fab, beautiful lines.

Shilese Jones had a great meet, nice and consistent to get fourth place. Was hoping to see Trinity Thomas compete but sounds like she has headed off to college already. 

6 hours ago, ombelico said:

Is Ragan's ankle still sore from World's? That is a bit worrying, it was almost 10 months ago??

• Love 1
6 hours ago, cesstar said:

Is Ragan's ankle still sore from World's? That is a bit worrying, it was almost 10 months ago??

On the Olympic Channel broadcast they said that doctors had told Ragan she should have surgery (torn ligaments, etc.) but she decided against it and preferred to just rehab it. So, it's still swollen and needs heavy wrapping. I really hope she doesn't come to regret the decision not to go through with surgery, especially since there's still 2 whole years before the Olympics, which should give her enough time to recover.

• Love 3

That video link reminds me - Simone's leotard... wow, those fluoro yellow flames hurt my eyes!

European Championships were this past weekend. A weakened field due to injury but there were some fabulous results for smaller programs - France and Netherlands getting the silver and bronze in the team event, Hungary winning vault (the video of Devai and her coach celebrating is very cute!), Adelberg from Sweden getting a silver on bars, and France, Belgium and the Netherlands picking up several medals in the event finals. 

Russia easily won the team title - of note this was Irina Alexeeva's first competition for her birth country (she trained at WOGA and was trying to get US citizenship to represent the US but was never able to). She is a great addition to the Russian team, very steady and consistent.

• Love 2