Type keyword(s) to search

Gymnastics

SophiaD
  • Start Topic

14 hours ago, WhitneyWhit said:

I'm loving all the blue leotards team USA has been sporting here. It's like they've been waiting for Martha to leave to bust them out.

Wasn't Ragan wearing a pink leo for the AA final? I'm loving the change to blue.

4 hours ago, HartofDixie said:

Wasn't Ragan wearing a pink leo for the AA final? I'm loving the change to blue.

Yep, she was wearing pink. I don't think we'll ever get rid of the pink completely. But the blue options were so pretty. Blue looks good on most people and they were lovely. I liked Ashton's bars leo the least because of all the flesh mesh but the colors were pretty. 

I also loved the blue leo Canada had, that Ellie wore in AA and Shallon wore for vault. With the maple leaves it was so wintery and Frozen-y. 

19 hours ago, topanga said:

I thought she turned pro? Retired? 

Turned pro, yes (but that was before the Olympics and only disqualifies her from NCAA not anything else); retired, no. Just took a break for a year. Fingers crossed she hasn't lost any of her pizzazz, I love her!

• Love 3
16 hours ago, HartofDixie said:

Gutsu will always be one of my favorite gymnasts (she's my second favorite Tatiana). Sadly she's probably not the only former Soviet gymnast with a story like that - if the US girls, who all lived at home the majority of time, were left vulnerable to a predator like Nassar, I can only imagine what girls in a system that had total control of their lives and livelihoods could have been exposed too. 

I'm really impressed by McKayla's bravery in speaking up. She is not just a gold medalist, but also a well-known name because of her meme. A lot of people who don't follow gymnastics closely still know who she is. And given that her comments essentially boiled down to, "I always dreamed of being a gold medalist, and I am, but I paid a price for it," I think it's way past time for US Gymnastics to actually do something to show families and clubs that they care about the safety of their athletes. I personally think almost everyone who has played a top supervisory/administrative role over the past decade should be out, but at the very least the top officials should be or a new official whose sole job it is to investigate claims and protect athletes (and who preferably has a background in law, prosecution, investigation or auditing and NOT gymnastics) should be brought in. If I had a daughter, I would absolutely not want her doing gymnastics after hearing what we have from the athletes. USA Gymnastics should be doing a lot more than making statements pointing the blame at one already-disgraced individual who THEY employed for YEARS while he systematically sexually abused countless athletes. That's on all of them. 

Edited by Jillibean
  • Love 9

It is also sad that she was victimized a second time with that phone hacking thing. Kid couldn't catch a break and I wonder if all that shit is what caused her to end her career relatively early.

• Love 5
On 10/20/2017 at 5:21 AM, Jillibean said:

I'm really impressed by McKayla's bravery in speaking up. She is not just a gold medalist, but also a well-known name because of her meme. A lot of people who don't follow gymnastics closely still know who she is. And given that her comments essentially boiled down to, "I always dreamed of being a gold medalist, and I am, but I paid a price for it," I think it's way past time for US Gymnastics to actually do something to show families and clubs that they care about the safety of their athletes. I personally think almost everyone who has played a top supervisory/administrative role over the past decade should be out, but at the very least the top officials should be or a new official whose sole job it is to investigate claims and protect athletes (and who preferably has a background in law, prosecution, investigation or auditing and NOT gymnastics) should be brought in. If I had a daughter, I would absolutely not want her doing gymnastics after hearing what we have from the athletes. USA Gymnastics should be doing a lot more than making statements pointing the blame at one already-disgraced individual who THEY employed for YEARS while he systematically sexually abused countless athletes. That's on all of them. 

And that's just the young women.  God only knows how many young male gymnasts have been likewise abused -- sexual assault knows no gender barrier, as we've seen from the many accounts now coming forward of male celebrities who have been sexually assaulted at some point in their careers.

Edited by legaleagle53
  • Love 5
On 10/20/2017 at 0:18 PM, MaKaM said:

It is also sad that she was victimized a second time with that phone hacking thing. Kid couldn't catch a break and I wonder if all that shit is what caused her to end her career relatively early.

She was/is also sexualized to an incredible degree on social media. I follow her FB page--she doesn't post much anymore but when she used to, literally within minutes of a post hundreds of guys would swarm to it, posting comments like "stay sexy, gorgeous" and the like. These comments constituted the vast, VAST majority of the replies--like me and maybe 1-3 other commenters actually cared about her as a gymnast. I was constantly posting things like "hey, she's a world class athlete, stop reducing her to her appearance" but it was to no avail.

FUCK Nassar. FUCK the Karolyis. FUCK Penny. Fuck all these USERS who exploited talented hard-working ambitious young girls who wanted nothing more than to go to the Olympics for their goddamn country.

Aly, I'm so sorry. Thank you for speaking up. Aly Raisman for USAG President!

• Love 7

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/more-sports/gabby-douglas-apologized-after-simone-biles-criticized-her-reply-to-aly-raisman/ar-BBF6IJg?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartanntp

Just checking in to see what others think of Gabby's less than supportive response to Aly's Tweet, and Simone's criticism of Gabby's response, including not being surprised that Gabby would tweet such a thing.  Has this tension always been there between Gabby and the other girls?  I know Keri Strug was sort of turned on by the rest of her team due to her fame post-Olympics.

Edited by RedheadZombie
link added
  • Love 3

It certainly makes me think a lot less of Gabby. What a terrible thing to imply about victims. How could she possibly think that was the appropriate response to Aly’s statement? I’m glad Simone stood up for Aly and all victims.

• Love 10

I was a huge Gabby fan who I felt got the mean girl treatment in 2012 after winning a slot in the AA over Jordyn, but damn not anymore. What an asshole thing to say. Aly Raisman was sexual abused as a child by her doctor and Gabby responds by talking about what women should wear so they don't invite sexual assault? Seriously, what an asshole. I love that Simone had none of that and flat out called her out.  Gabby was teammates with Maroney as well. So she knows 2 victims of sex abuse and still posts that comment? And her apology was clearly written by her PR team trying to protect what is left of her image. 

• Love 12

The tumblr gymnastics community had a MELT. DOWN. when that hit. What the hell was Gabby thinking? Gabby, do you realize that YOU are considered by some Christians to be dressing "immodestly" because you're wearing a leotard? What if Nassar or some other POS decided you were prancing around, asking for it just because of the leo. Aly was FIFTEEN when she was first attacked by Nassar. She was a CHILD. Even if she weren't, how could you possibly blame the victim? She gets defensive and is "I'm not blaming the victim" YES YOU ARE. It doesn't go both ways. ALL the responsibility lies with the predator. JFC. I felt sick when I first read that.  What a terrible, terrible thing to say to your 4 (?) time teammate.

• Love 11

And now for a completely different subject to give us all a break from the drama:  Danell J. Leyva has been busy competing on the Spanish version of Dancing with the Stars, and he just won third place!

Edited by legaleagle53
  • Love 1

Interesting that Simone tweeted that she wasn't surprised by Gabby's tweet. Gabby was defended nonstop for seeming like she was in a funk at the Olympics in terms of being supportive of her teammates. IMO it's long been clear that she's had issues with certain teammates and those insensitive and hurtful tweets only reinforced my opinion that her hostility towards her teammates is tied into not being able to repeat the same level of success that she experienced in London in Rio. She just comes across like she has resentment issues and that's where a comment like that came from.

It isn't that she didn't do an awesome job or that her performances in Rio (and elsewhere) aren't something to be proud of. Of course they are. I was one of Gabby's defenders when it came to the way people were criticizing things like her hair and appearance when they should have been focused on her incredible accomplishments as a gymnast. It was her lack of enthusiasm for her teammates doing well that made me less of a fan. I agree too that her damage control tweet only made things worse. It sounded completely insincere and I don't get the impression that she genuinely understands why people are offended by those sorts of sexist and misogynistic comments. I think that she feels that she is being unfairly picked on by people when it comes to social media. 

I felt the same lack of sincerity when it came to explaining why she didn't have her hand over her heart during the national anthem in Rio. She claimed that she always stands at attention for the anthem but most followers of gymnastics remember that she was all happy and smiley with her hand over her heart in London. To be clear, I don't think it was her intention to offend or politicize that moment---far from it. I just think that she was deep in her feelings and that ended up guiding the moments where she wasn't competing. 

She sometimes strikes me as someone who is unhappy and based on what I've read about her family and the financial pressure that she faces in taking care of so many people, maybe that's where some of her bitterness comes from. Whatever the case I find it sad that her first reaction to Aly wasn't once of empathy and understanding. 

I can't help but feel sorry for Gabby. No, I didn't like her first tweet, but part of me wonders if her response to Aly was an automatic defense mechanism to try and forget what happened to her and may have had it drilled into her psyche by others (like people in her family that were very religious) that the only way it wouldn't happen again is if she acted a certain way. Psychological trauma isn't cut and dry. Some people have the strength to come out and say something immediately. Other people take years. Many try to forget it ever happened and bottle it up only to have it explode when they least expect it. Gabby's never really had a stable life or family that had her back. She was the "meal ticket" and it wouldn't surprise me at all if she'd wanted to retire after London because she couldn't take the constant litany of haters anymore but had to try again for Rio because her mother and siblings and hangers-on were draining her dry. 

Gabby didn't want to reveal her abuse but was forced to do so. Quite honestly, I think all those gymnasts need to sit down and go in as a united front against US Gymnastics, the Karolyis, their personal gyms, coaches, and anyone else that KNEW this was happening and said nothing, all for the glory of gold medals. 

• Love 3

I feel sorry for Gabby too. All of the victims were abused by a system that was supposed to support them and help them reach their goals. It really is horrifying how pervasive this was.

I still think that tweet was inexcusable. She went after Aly and all victims of abuse in a cruel way, and then doubled down on what she said. That’s a really dangerous line of thinking. I think Simone was right to stand up for Aly, but I also hope Simone follows her own advice now and supports Gabby too. I hope Gabby’s teammates let go of whatever tension there was between them to let her know she didn’t deserve this and they’re sorry it happened to her.

Edited by Jeddah
  • Love 8
12 hours ago, Jeddah said:

She went after Aly and all victims of abuse in a cruel way, and then doubled down on what she said.

Here's the thing, though. It is really common for girls who've been raped to assume all the guilt  and responsibility for the assault.  If only i had fought harder. If only i didn't have so much to drink.  If only i hadn't laughed at his jokes. And so on, spinning down into minutia that have nothing to do with the attack. It's a normal attempt to regain mental control of the narrative. I'm willing to give Gabby some slack here. Maybe her comment was self-directed (If only i had dressed more modestly, I wouldn't have been abused), rather than pointed at Aly et al. She's still a kid, who maybe hasn't figured out all this shit yet.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, attica said:

Here's the thing, though. It is really common for girls who've been raped to assume all the guilt  and responsibility for the assault.  If only i had fought harder. If only i didn't have so much to drink.  If only i hadn't laughed at his jokes. And so on, spinning down into minutia that have nothing to do with the attack. It's a normal attempt to regain mental control of the narrative. I'm willing to give Gabby some slack here. Maybe her comment was self-directed (If only i had dressed more modestly, I wouldn't have been abused), rather than pointed at Aly et al. She's still a kid, who maybe hasn't figured out all this shit yet.

I understand that, and I hope the rest of my comment showed that I have a lot of compassion for Gabby and what she went through. I know it’s a complex issue, and not everyone handles it the same way. I just have zero tolerance for victim blaming, which is what her tweet was. I think it’s possible to support Gabby and recognize that she’s been through something awful, but also to recognize that tweets like that are never okay.

Edited by Jeddah
  • Love 7

It's an important and timely reminder that not all victims of abuse will act in similar ways. My first reaction to Gabby's tweet was disappointment and honestly some astonishment that she would engage in victim blaming. But a friend of mine who is a psychologist immediately said 'I bet she was abused too'. She recognised it as a fairly common response from abuse victims that she works with,, who are confused and lonely and desperate to believe that there is something they can do to regain control. It made perfect sense when she explained it to me but I guess we are all somewhat conditioned to expect a response more like Aly's in situations like these.

The problem for Gabby is that her original tweet got a lot of media attention (which wasn't confined to the 'gymternet') but not everyone is going to know or even understand her follow up response. The media narrative around it already is markedly different to what the other girls received. She never really 'fit' in the gymnastics community to begin with and now trying to deal with all of the online response plus reconciling her own issues with what happened.... I hope she has a good counsellor! The impact of what Nassar did to those girls will have untold ramifications on their lives going forward. What a monster.

• Love 10

Maroney's full impact statement is available here (warning, it is very disturbing and quite graphic in places) - http://www.espn.com.au/olympics/story/_/id/21687492/former-olympian-mckayla-maroney-mother-seek-maximum-sentence-larry-nassar

Aly Raisman has also released a statement - https://www.theplayerstribune.com/aly-raisman-gymnast-olympian/

They are both powerful statements that are heartbreaking to read. And to know that there are so many other people whose lives have been impacted by this man and a system that looked the other way. Just awful.

• Love 2

Jesus! 15 years old and "I thought I was going to die." Jesus!

It's literally unbelievable, watching Mack fly and stick that perfect vault in Team Finals in London, knowing what she'd been undergoing the night before. She is a fucking rock star. I can't even imagine her strength. Her letter and her mother's were amazing testimonies to their strength and courage (Aly's was fantastic as well).

What a fucking monster Nassar was. JFC. SO ANGRY for these girls. 

• Love 10

I won't lie.

My daughter is begging to do gymnastics.  I know this can happen anywhere.  But after this...I'm hesitating on signing her up.  I don't trust one aspect of the sport at all.  From the neighborhood gym all the way on up the line.  

And, I don't believe for one second that the Karolyi's didn't know.  HOW COULD THEY NOT KNOW something was wrong?  Off?  Not a single sentence uttered from one of the girls to them?  That he made them uncomfortable?  THey didn't hear the girls warning each other? NOTHING?  There is absolutely no way I can possibly believe that.  It happened at their ranch. It happened one the road.  

I'm so upset by this.  I've idolized the sport of gymnastics my whole life.  I watched the Nadia movie incessantly.  I remember watching Mary Lou and wanting to be her.  I pretended I was an olympian, one of Bela's girls - making up beam routines on the back of my sofa (including round off dismounts, when nobody was looking lol) and on the lane lines in a swimming pool.  I read "The Gymnasts."  I watched every meet - I even remember when they put the girls height and weight on the tv screen before each apparatus.  I video taped meets and watched them over and over again.  Even as an adult I sometimes watch my favorite gymnastics meets on youtube (1996 trials and games)

These people are MONSTERS.  I wanted to believe that it was just Nassar at first.  But I just don't see how that's possible.  Nassar, Penny, the Karolyis.  All of them.  

• Love 9
30 minutes ago, Shangrilala said:

I won't lie.

My daughter is begging to do gymnastics.  I know this can happen anywhere.  But after this...I'm hesitating on signing her up.  I don't trust one aspect of the sport at all.  From the neighborhood gym all the way on up the line.  

And, I don't believe for one second that the Karolyi's didn't know.  HOW COULD THEY NOT KNOW something was wrong?  Off?  Not a single sentence uttered from one of the girls to them?  That he made them uncomfortable?  THey didn't hear the girls warning each other? NOTHING?  There is absolutely no way I can possibly believe that.  It happened at their ranch. It happened one the road.  

I'm so upset by this.  I've idolized the sport of gymnastics my whole life.  I watched the Nadia movie incessantly.  I remember watching Mary Lou and wanting to be her.  I pretended I was an olympian, one of Bela's girls - making up beam routines on the back of my sofa (including round off dismounts, when nobody was looking lol) and on the lane lines in a swimming pool.  I read "The Gymnasts."  I watched every meet - I even remember when they put the girls height and weight on the tv screen before each apparatus.  I video taped meets and watched them over and over again.  Even as an adult I sometimes watch my favorite gymnastics meets on youtube (1996 trials and games)

These people are MONSTERS.  I wanted to believe that it was just Nassar at first.  But I just don't see how that's possible.  Nassar, Penny, the Karolyis.  All of them.  

I think, if nothing else, these people were willing to ignore any warning signs, to turn and look the other way, rather than risk finding out something they didn't want to know.  They're also guilty as he** of not taking appropriate precautions with the young women in their care.  There is absolutely no reason on God's green earth for any girl receiving any sort of medical treatment, coaching, training, schooling, whatever; to be left alone with any adult male or female, at all, ever.  If the parents weren't available (sounds like they weren't permitted) to be present, then there needed to be another adult designated to be present at every treatment session, every meal, every class, every practice.  It wouldn't have cost much at all for USA gymnastics to hire a medical assistant or nurse to work with Dr Nasser and to be present at all times when he was 'treating' the girls.  For that matter, the girls themselves apparently were so sheltered and uninformed that they had no idea that what he was doing was inappropriate until after the FBI contacted them.  There is no reason that USA Gymnastics shouldn't have a program in place to educate its young athletes about appropriate behavior for coaches, doctors and all the other adults around them and given them a means of reporting anything out of line without fear.

For your own daughter, make sure you tell her, SPELL IT OUT; so she knows what is permissible and what is not.  Be present, attend the meets, drop in on the practices, if she needs physical therapy or a medical exam stay right there in the room with her.  And keep talking, both to her and to her coaches and anyone else who has contact with her via gymnastics.  Make sure everyone knows you are there and aware and your kid is not to be messed with.  With all of these horrific stories, as well as the end of the era of the Karolyis as gods/dictators; I think there are some huge changes coming and that USA Gymnastics has an opportunity to change its culture and become a leader in protecting the kids in their programs.

• Love 7

Unless your child levels up to elite in a very short amount of time, you're going to be able to attend every single event, practice, session, treatment, etc with her. I'm not saying these things don't go on elsewhere, but Nassar was dealing with elite level athletes either so driven, or pushed so hard, they weren't going to tell and possibly endanger their chances at an Olympic spot. 

If you sign your daughter up for YMCA gymnastics, you'll be in the room for everything.

• Love 4
9 minutes ago, Mikita said:

http://www.espn.com/olympics/gymnastics/story/_/id/21825575/usa-gymnastics-struck-agreement-mckayla-maroney-keep-larry-nassar-abuse-quiet-lawyer-says

Unbelievable. USA Gymnastics needs to go. Everyone. They need a new governing  body with no one formerly afflicted with the old regime . Just sickening.

They are disgusting pigs, the bunch of them.  The whole organization needs to be dismantled and rebuilt from the ground up.

And, congratulations to McKayla Maroney who continues to prove that she is tough as nails and is willing to do whatever it takes to see these people held accountable for their negligence.

• Love 10

Burn it ALL the fuck down.

Fuck USAG. Fire everyone. Bring in Aly as President. They pressured a teenager to sign away her right to talk about the horrific experience she suffered where she "thought [she] was going to die" (and went on the next day to help solidify an OGM for them). They are GARBAGE.

BURN IT ALL DOWN.

• Love 8
16 hours ago, galaxygirl76 said:

What I'm also wondering is where does this leave Michigan State. They knew and didn't do anything.

I believe they were named in numerous civil suits and they're going to be lucky if they aren't practically bankrupted by the time all is said and done.  From what I understand, officials there knew about the abuse for a lot longer than US Gymnastics and did virtually nothing to investigate, let alone report the situation while allowing that monster nearly complete access to athletes with no supervision or warning.   Apparently, multiple reliable individuals went to them with their concerns, including some with some disturbing evidence, and they shut it down, kept it quiet.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, doodlebug said:

I believe they were named in numerous civil suits and they're going to be lucky if they aren't practically bankrupted by the time all is said and done.  From what I understand, officials there knew about the abuse for a lot longer than US Gymnastics and did virtually nothing to investigate, let alone report the situation while allowing that monster nearly complete access to athletes with no supervision or warning.   Apparently, multiple reliable individuals went to them with their concerns, including some with some disturbing evidence, and they shut it down, kept it quiet.

So basically they are nothing better than Penn State and deserve punishment accordingly from the NCAA as well?

1 hour ago, galaxygirl76 said:

So basically they are nothing better than Penn State and deserve punishment accordingly from the NCAA as well?

I'm not sure who was specifically aware of the allegations against Nasser.  If it was someone in the Athletic Department, then, yes, I presume that the NCAA will investigate and probably sanction them.  However, I believe Nasser was affiliated with the Sports Medicine or Physical Therapy Departments at the University.  If they were the ones who covered it up and nobody in the Athletic Department knew, then I don't think the NCAA punish the Athletic Department.  Even if the NCAA does step in, any sanctions would be to the collegiate gymnastic program, not any other sport, so it won't get the press that Penn State's football program got.

Currently, Michigan State has a lawyer who they employ who claims to have investigated and that he was unable to find anyone anywhere at MSU who had any idea what Nasser was doing, that it was a complete and total surprise to everyone who knew him that he was committing such heinous acts.  Interestingly, it seems this attorney never interviewed any of Nasser's victims to see who they might have told or who might have seen something.  It looks like MSU is going to claim that they are not liable because no one there ever knew.  

At this point, more than 100 women have filed civil suits naming MSU as one of the defendants and there are allegations in those complaints that MSU employees knew about Nasser and did nothing.

• Love 3
20 minutes ago, pennben said:

And, of course, MSU says that since no charges were filed after the 2014 police investigation that there was no reason to restrict Nasser’s practice. 

MSU conducted its own investigation of the complaint and decided that the woman who complained didn’t understand the difference between legitimate medical treatment and criminal sexual assault.  Riiiiiiight.

• Love 4

what the actual fuck? Was Nasser a magician? Don't tell me that he's the only person capable of performing his duties. His kind is a dime a dozen, why was the school protecting him? He's not a brain surgeon or a rocket scientist so I just don't get it. This whole system is rotten to the core. The school and US Gymnastics need to burn the program to the ground and start over. Just some checks and balances put in place would stop some of this. Let the parents be in the room, for everything. If a Dr. or anyone is doing something that a parent should not see, something is going on. Sick,sick,sick

• Love 2