Type keyword(s) to search

Gymnastics

SophiaD
  • Start Topic

I'm watching the men's USA Gymnastics Championship on NBC sports right now.  So far, the story of the meet is the freakishly strong Donnell Whittenburg. I think Tim has a massive crush on him.  :)

Also in the mix, John Orozco, Sam Mikulak, Jake Dalton, Alex Naddour, and Brandon Wynn.  And, of course, Danell Leyva, attended by his perennially-enthusiastic father, who really deserves his own drinking game.  Jonathan Horton is also here, but looking as if he is recovering from major injuries - which, of course, he is.  I really admire him - not always the most talented guy, but he has incredible heart. 

Oh, and Al is still annoying, but I'm happy to have Nastia on the commentary team.  I think she makes a much better foil for Tim than Elfi did.

ETA:  Al just had a good moment.  Tim was mentioning that some athlete just did a Liukin on the high bar (named after Valery), and Nastia said, "Not to be biased, but that's always been one of my favorite moves on high bar."  Al said, "Not to be biased," with this yeah right tone of voice and Nastia start giggling.  Really cute.

Edited by SophiaD

Why does Tim keep making reference to the Pan American games? Those aren't until next year.

ETA: He was talking about the Pan American Championships, but said PanAm games a couple times.

Edited by WhitneyWhit

I think Tim has weirdly unexplainable powers.  "Simone Biles is doing so well, she can stand a fall!"

*Falls*

Shut up, Tim!

Great meet by Simone, excellent, elegant comeback by Kyla.  I'm sorry McKayla isn't able to compete - it would have been nice to see her go toe-to-toe with Simone on the vault.  I still think McKayla's vault at the team finals at the 2012 is the most incredible vault I have ever seen.

I'm knocking wood that Elfi is gone for good. Why the hell we were stuck with her for so long when there are many quality commentators out there is a mystery. Next step is finding a way to dump Tim. Either way, I will be hoping someone uploads the Worlds on YT from somewhere else, like the BBC.

Great meet by Simone, excellent, elegant comeback by Kyla.  I'm sorry McKayla isn't able to compete - it would have been nice to see her go toe-to-toe with Simone on the vault.  I still think McKayla's vault at the team finals at the 2012 is the most incredible vault I have ever seen.

I think it would have gotten a 10 on execution if the US hadn't gone first on vault. They might have nerfed it a bit for this quad, but any team that can throw 3 of those still has an advantage.

I think the Japan men were robbed. They should have won. China was overscored on high bar.

Apparently, Worlds is going on even as we speak.   NBC will be broadcasting tape-delayed coverage this Saturday and Sunday at 2 and 3 PM EDT respectively.

I'm not even going to bother with watching them on TV, since they really only show the US routines anyway, and I can see them on YouTube without the pointless commentary.

Universal Sports is showing 10+ hours of  Worlds coverage, and is available legally for any streaming device that carries the Dishworld channels for about $10 a month for their English language sports package.

(edit)

Are constant announcer mentions of the Chinese women lacking both endurance and power code words for 'they're undernourished even by elite gymnastics standards' because they looked pretty gaunt even in comparison to the North Korean vaulter.

Edited by selkie

I didn't even watch the Worlds on TV, because the online coverage was so much better. I don't ever remember the US streaming podium training before this year. I guess someone was listening to the complaints and did something about it.

(edited)

Honestly, I don't see Aly Raisman or Gabby Douglas making it on the team for Rio. From the Fierce Five, the only one that I think will be there is Kyla Ross because she's been competing a lot since then and has improved.

Starting to compete again now in 2015 seems a bit too late. Plus, making a comeback is not an easy thing in gymnastics. Just look at Shawn Johnson and Nastia Liukin. They were the stars of the 2008 Olympic team, but both started training and competing late in preparation for the 2012 Olympics and ultimately, didn't make it. However, I still think that had it not been for that knee injury, Shawn could've been a part of that team.

Edited by Steph619
  • Love 1

Gabby's and Aly's all around scores at Jesolo would have got them medals at worlds last year.  Also, they both scored higher in the all around than Kyla, who had a fall on her floor routine. Both ladies still have a lot improvements to make to get back to 2012 form.  However, they showed a strong base in all the events and have the opportunity to make the world's team this year to get more competition experience to work out the kinks.

• Love 1

McKayla has been training steadily but has been hampered by constant injuries.

I've never been a huge fan of Aly's gymnastics but she apparently did well at Jesolo. Same for Gabby even though she didn't score as high. But that seems to be her MO as she always starts out slow and gains momentum over the year.

To their credit, both Aly and Gabby have started their comebacks much earlier than either Shawn or Nastia. I'd like to think at least one of Aly, Gabby or Kyla will make the 2016 Olympic team.

Dominique Dawes was on 3 Olympic teams!!!!!!  I'm just hearing about that now??????

I didn't know it wasn't talked about. I kinda just always knew. Probably because I watched her compete in the Olympics when she was 15, 19, and 23. I thought she would have mentioned herself every chance she got. Maybe not.

I am just in awe of Biles. She might not be everyone's cup of tea, but I think she's fantastic. Even with some rather unusual mistakes, she flat out dominated. No one in the US can come close to her right now.

I also can't wait to see what the rest of the world has to offer at the Worlds in October. It'll be great to see what new faces we get to watch for the Olympics next year.

Congratulations to Simone Biles for winning the US championship title three times in a row. No other US gymnast comes close to being as great as she is right now. What I like the most about her though is that she makes everything she does look so easy and it seems like she's genuinely having fun out there. I hope she can keep it up for the Olympics because she's the best shot we've got at another all-around gold medal.

I had my doubts about Aly and Gabby, but they looked pretty good. Kudos to Aly for placing third.

• Love 1

I didn't know it wasn't talked about. I kinda just always knew. Probably because I watched her compete in the Olympics when she was 15, 19, and 23. I thought she would have mentioned herself every chance she got. Maybe not.

She also was one of those who did a last-minute comeback attempt. I could talk forever about the 2000 team and who should/shouldn't have been on, but Dawes and Chow both qualified from the Magnificent Seven team, and they are the last repeat Olympians the US women's gymnastics team has had. So should any or any combination of Gabby/Aly/Kyla make it, it will be a tremendous accomplishment. Also, as was oft-mentioned on the broadcast, if Gabby returns, she will be the first Olympic AA champion to compete in the next Olympics since Nadia Comaneci in 1980! (Nadia won silver in a hotly contested AA final so, if Gabby were to medal again, she would also be the first AA champ to medal in another AA since Comaneci in 1980.) The race to make this team, assuming everyone stays healthy, is going to be more difficult than the competition to actually win the Olympics, I suspect. We could send two teams right now and win gold and silver with them. Tremendous.

I'm ashamed to admit that I don't watch many gymnastics competitions besides the Olympic Trials and the Olympics themselves. What tournaments are on the horizon?I'll be sure to catch them. Are they even televised, though? They're certainly not advertised much.

Nationals were on NBC (women on Saturday primetime, men on Sunday afternoon) but for the most part, the competitions these days are only on Universal Sports, which sometimes is an upgraded package depending on your cable provider. The next major competition is Worlds, which is not until October.

• Love 1

Really a shame that NBC doesn't show more meets (Jesolo, PanAms, etc.) when the US women are so dominant now. I used to subscribe to Universal but I found the feed confusing, often with no commentary. I wish I knew how to get the BBC coverage online (besides YouTube), I love Christine and Mitch. And I really wish NBC didn't delay their Worlds coverage so much--by the time they air (usually a week or so later), I already know all the results via tumblr!

Really a shame that NBC doesn't show more meets (Jesolo, PanAms, etc.) when the US women are so dominant now. I used to subscribe to Universal but I found the feed confusing, often with no commentary. I wish I knew how to get the BBC coverage online (besides YouTube), I love Christine and Mitch. And I really wish NBC didn't delay their Worlds coverage so much--by the time they air (usually a week or so later), I already know all the results via tumblr!

PanAms were broadcast on ESPN.

She also was one of those who did a last-minute comeback attempt. I could talk forever about the 2000 team and who should/shouldn't have been on, but Dawes and Chow both qualified from the Magnificent Seven team, and they are the last repeat Olympians the US women's gymnastics team has had. So should any or any combination of Gabby/Aly/Kyla make it, it will be a tremendous accomplishment. Also, as was oft-mentioned on the broadcast, if Gabby returns, she will be the first Olympic AA champion to compete in the next Olympics since Nadia Comaneci in 1980! (Nadia won silver in a hotly contested AA final so, if Gabby were to medal again, she would also be the first AA champ to medal in another AA since Comaneci in 1980.) The race to make this team, assuming everyone stays healthy, is going to be more difficult than the competition to actually win the Olympics, I suspect. We could send two teams right now and win gold and silver with them. Tremendous.

Gymnastics is one of those sports where it's very, very hard to make it to the Olympics more than once. It's the nature of the sport--there's such a narrow window for an athlete to be at the right height, weight, and talent level. But the harsher age restrictions don't help, either. Dominique wouldn't have been able to compete at 15, an experience which gave her great experience for the '96 Olympics.

And on the flip side, Nastia would have made the 2004 team were she age-eligible. I believe at the time Marta was very open about that, and her scores as a junior were competitive with the senior scores. 

Yes, I remember her saying that and also saying (in response to the age scandal in Beiing ('08) that if Rebecca Bross had been old enough, she would've been on the '08 team.

It is almost time for Worlds!  Here is the broadcast schedule for those who have Universal Sports.

Oct. 27 - W Team Final - 2:45 p.m. (Universal Sports - live)

Oct. 27 - W Team Final - 8:00 p.m. (Universal Sports - rebroadcast)
Oct. 28 - M Team Final - 1:55 p.m. (Universal Sports - live)
Oct. 28 - M Team Final - 8:00 p.m. (Universal Sports - rebroadcast)
Oct. 29 - W AA Final - 2:45 p.m. (Universal Sports - live)
Oct. 29 - W AA Final - 8:00 p.m. (Universal Sports - rebroadcast)
Oct. 30 - M AA Final - 2:10 p.m. (Universal Sports - live)
Oct. 30 - M AA Final - 8:00 p.m. (Universal Sports - rebroadcast)
Oct. 31 - Event Finals - 9:30 a.m. (Universal Sports - live)
Oct. 31 - Event Finals - 8:30 p.m. (Universal Sports - rebroadcast)
Nov. 1 - Event Finals - 8:30 a.m. (Universal Sports - live)
Nov. 1 - Event Finals - 8:00 p.m. (Universal Sports - rebroadcast)
Edited by IdleBrook

Dominique wouldn't have been able to compete at 15, an experience which gave her great experience for the '96 Olympics.

IIRC she was actually thick in the battle for the AA title in 1992 (along with Shannon Miller) until she sat down on her vault on the landing

That was actually the all-around at the '94 worlds. Dawes didn't compete in the all-around at the '92 Olympics.

The sit down on the vault happened at the 93 Worlds. In 94 she over-rotated her vault and fell forward.

In what is probably the most shocking event to happen in gymnastics in a long time, Romania has failed to qualify to the team finals at Worlds, which means they now have to go through another qualifying event in order to qualify for the Olympics.

• Love 4

In what is probably the most shocking event to happen in gymnastics in a long time, Romania has failed to qualify to the team finals at Worlds, which means they now have to go through another qualifying event in order to qualify for the Olympics.

The 1972 Munich Olympics was the last time a Romanian women's team did not qualify for team finals in a World Championships or an Olympics. They'll still get to Rio. Just a really bad day at the office, and it'll take longer this time.

How ridiculous is Simone Biles? Her margin over 2nd place Steingruber in qualification is just under 4 points. That's higher than Steingruber's margin over the next 40 AA participants combined. In an era where specialization is becoming the norm, it's refreshing to have someone who can be a contender on any apparatus.

Great to see the Netherlands sneak into finals. I don't think they have the difficulty to challenge for a medal, but with the finals format, anything can happen. Of course, everyone is fighting for second behind the US at this point. It would take an epic collapse by the US for either Russia or China to take gold.

Well the one major thing I'm taking from Glasgow is that I am over Viktoria Komova's little ass. After Russia fell four times (FOUR) of which she accounted for half those falls, she decided to tell everyone that the only reason the USA won is because they take drugs, and that China and Great Britain were overscored. She made half-assed apology later, but still. I hope she doesn't make the Olympic team because I am in no mood to watch her burst into tears every five minutes at yet another Olympics.

And the Russian coach was just as bad. He got in on the act by saying that their mistakes was nothing more than the scoring. Poor Russia, so mistreated. How dare those judges count their falls.

• Love 4

Well I'm thrilled Simone and Gabby finished 1-2 in the AA. Gabby still has a lot of work to do for upgrades, but she's proven her comeback isn't a fluke and she wants that Rio spot. I'd love to see them finish this way at the Olympics.

Simone proved she was human with two major mistakes on floor and beam, but even with the mistakes she still finished a full point ahead of Gabby and Romania's Iordache. So I'm proposing she get swaddled in bubble wrap from now until Rio because I DO NOT want her injured.

Russia and their crybaby athletes can go away. I can't help but think past Russian great Svetlana Khorkina would slap this entire Russian team into next week.

• Love 3

I can see why they're upset. It used to be that technique and grace were more highly rated than skills, of which the Eastern Europeans gymnasts were the gold standard for a long time. Since the change to grading on "difficulty", they (and other countries) haven't done as well even though, in my opinion, they are far better gymnasts in the classical sense than our gymnasts in the USA.

That doesn't mean it's okay for Komova to throw a tantrum and accuse the other athletes of steroid use. She also said Great Britain just got lucky, which is not cool either.

The rules are the rules. Maybe the Russians should stop crying and start playing to those rules.

• Love 3
(edited)

Svetlana Khorkina did her share of whining back in the day.  I still remember when she said that she thought Carly Patterson's win was "fixed" and had been decided in advance, and she was still the "real champion."  Ugh.  She was a brilliant gymnast, though.

Huge congratulations to Simone and Gabby.  Is this going to be broadcast anywhere?  I can't believe I get a ton of cable channels and *no gymnastics*.  It's just not right. 

Edited by SophiaD
  • Love 2

Personally I don't care how graceful you are, there's no excuse for her behavior.  She acts like a spoiled brat, she did it in London, and she's doing it now. 

And gymnasts winning because they have a more difficult routine is nothing new, it happened under 10.0 as well. Someone who had a 10.0 start value would have a much better chance of winning against someone who had a 9.5, regardless if the 9.5 was perfect, someone with a 10.0 start value could afford to make mistakes and still win. 

Svetlana Khorkina did her share of whining back in the day.  I still remember when she said that she thought Carly Patterson's win was "fixed" and had been decided in advance, and she was still the "real champion."  Ugh.  She was a brilliant gymnast, though.

Huge congratulations to Simone and Gabby.  Is this going to be broadcast anywhere?  I can't believe I get a ton of cable channels and *no gymnastics*.  It's just not right. 

It will be broadcast this weekend on NBC. 

• Love 4

That four-way tie for gold in the UB final was wild, and wrong. My patience for Komova is at an all time low, but she was clearly the outright winner today.

I was done with Komova after the accusations of drug use, but to her credit, she did personally apologize to the US team for her comments.

(edited)

I recorded the NBC coverage but haven't had a chance to watch it yet.  It doesn't look like Sam Mikulak was at World's this year.  Anyone know if he's okay?

Edited to add:  It seems he hurt his ankle.  Big-time bummer, dude.  Get well soon!  We need you for Rio!

Huge congratulations to Simone on her THIRD all-around championship and TENTH Gold Medal!  What an amazing achievement.  Break out the bubble wrap!  :)

Amazing achievement on the part of Gabby to come out of retirement and take the silver in the all-around.  Wow.  #simplythebest

Edited by SophiaD

Did Aly Raisman not make any individual events?

And I feel bad that Levya didn't do as well as he knows he can, but his high bar is scary good.

I wonder if anyone will be able to challenge Bile or Uchima in Rio.

Did Aly Raisman not make any individual events?

No, she didn't. I'm not as confident as I was about her making the Olympic team pre-Glasgow, this was a rough meet for her. Her amanar is looking worse with each outing, I'm seriously worried that she's going to blow out her knee with the way she's landing it. I think Douglas, Biles, Kocian and perhaps Nichols have claimed their spot for Rio, I think the real competition will be for the fifth spot, and it's going to be a blood bath. 

Barring injury, both Biles and Douglas will 100% be in Rio. Simone is a no-brainer. Any doubts I had that Douglas would be ready were wiped out by the end of Glasgow. Hopefully she can get back to doing the Amanar by Nationals next year. Kocian has strengthened her case because the US can always use a strong bar worker, but I wouldn't put her as a lock just yet. Nichols is more of a lock than Kocian IMO, she just needs to clean up her form in places. Raisman did herself no favors in Glasgow, and with a ton of talented juniors who will be age-eligible for Rio coming up, she's got a lot of work to do if she wants a spot.