Type keyword(s) to search

Season 1: Hospitals, Zombie Guts, and Disease Control

• Start Topic

Hi, Rarely. I'm a newbie too, having just finished binge watching the series to date last weekend. Happy viewing!

Hello.  Nice to meet a fellow newbie.

Kinda wish I had waited a bit longer to watch all the previous stuff though.  Feb. 8 is still too far away.  lol

• Love 3

Days Gone Bye remains my favorite episode of the series.  I thought it was very well done and hooked me from the get go.

It's always great to welcome fellow Dead heads to the forums so.......Welcome!

Thanks for the welcome.

And I'd say, without putting a lot more introspection into it... I'd say its a tie between Days Gone Bye and A as for my fave TWD ep.

• Love 1

Remember when Jenner said they didn't know if it was a fungus or a parasite or virus? How do you not know? Like maybe it's a virus unlike any you've seen before, but shouldn't you be able to tell (if you're all full of science learnin') the difference? I know they're pretending the CDC stuff never happened so it'll never be addressed, but that always stuck with me.

Edited by Tippi Blevins
  • Love 1

Remember that 2 hour close up of Andrea's face when Amy got bitten, died and turned?  The first time I watched it was live and I thought that damn scene would never end.  The second time I watched I was able to FF through it..  Now when I see it all I can think of is the bad lip reading version and I crack up.

Edited by NurseGiGi
  • Love 1

Remember that 2 hour close up of Andrea's face when Amy got bitten, died and turned?  The first time I watched it was live and I thought that damn scene would never end.  The second time I watched I was able to FF through it..  Now when I see it all I can think of is the bad lip reading version and I crack up.

Linklinklinklink

Nashville, there are a total of three bad lip readings for TWD.  If you haven't seen it yet, honest trailers is pretty funny, too.

I haven't seen the honest trailers.  So they're pretty funny, too?  I think TWD bad lip reading is the funniest of all the shows they've done.

• Love 2

I recently rewatched the Vatos episode (man, I love that old lady), and the leader, Guillermo, speechifies to Rick about their situation and comments on the people looking to him as a leader, even though he doesn't know why. Rick says, "because they can." The whole speech has lots of weight when you consider the role Rick later takes in the group. 

• Love 3

I never miss an episode, but I had forgotten much of Ep.1, Season 1, so I watched last night.  Does anyone know how long Rick was in that coma?  Those flowers looked like they hadn't been there for more than two weeks.  If it had been much longer, I don't think Rick could have survived.  He would have been so dehydrated that he would have looked like a mummy.  When he awoke and got up, he didn't have any problems with his legs or wasn't weak.  And it seems like Lori moved on pretty fast with Shane.  Another reason I'm glad she's gone.

From the very beginning, there's a certain "suspension of disbelief " thingie at the core of TWD you have to accept for the timeline of subsequent events to make any sense whatsoever - namely, that a gunshot, comatose Rick was able to lay unattended on a bed in a deserted hospital with no food, no water, no medicine or medical treatment, and no protection from walkers for a period of TWO MONTHS between the start of the ZA and Rick waking up from his coma.

The writer(s) apparently had a little confusion about the difference between the terms "coma" and "suspended animation". Heck, forget starvation, dehydration, or infinite Zombie Kibble potential- the bedsores on Rick's ass should've gone septic and killed him long before that.

Once you can get past that, though, everything else is gravy. ;>

• Love 1

Does anyone know how long Rick was in that coma? Those flowers looked like they hadn't been there for more than two weeks. If it had been much longer, I don't think Rick could have survived.

And it seems like Lori moved on pretty fast with Shane. Another reason I'm glad she's gone.

According to the timeline http://walkingdead.wikia.com/wiki/Television_Show_Timeline Shane last visited Rick on day 14 of the ZA, and Rick woke up on day 60. Which admittedly requires a whole lot of hand waving (suspension of disbelief).

Lori, Shane and Carl went on the road day 15, and Rick found them on day 61.

• Love 1

How long between Shane taking Lori and Carl out of the city, and the erection of the original CDB? Because it just did not seem, to me, like they had been camping at that quarry for a month and a half. 

How long between Shane taking Lori and Carl out of the city, and the erection of the original CDB? Because it just did not seem, to me, like they had been camping at that quarry for a month and a half. 

heh heh you said "erection".

• Love 3

Yeah, they had to have some time to hook up with the others and then find that location and get set up. It seemed they'd been there for awhile, but not 6 weeks.

I started my summer marathon this weekend (so be prepared for my random musings across all the seasons). Shane's little rant about leaving the lights on really drives me crazy. I'm currently married and have lived with two other serious boyfriends before I met my husband. Never in my life have *I* been the one to leave the lights on. It is/was always the other way around. My current husband is the worst. He'll even leave the lights and radio on overnight out in his little mancave. Drives me crazy! And I'm pretty sure most of my girlfriends would say the same. Now, I'm not one to stereotype and I'm sure there are relationships where the guy is the light Nazi and the girl is leaving them all ablazing, but I think it's most generally the other way around. So yea, that little speech irks me every time. 

Also, how did no one else notice the helicopter that Rick saw in downtown ATL? I'm pretty sure both Glenn and Merle were outside at the same time as Rick. And Glenn has always been Mr. Observant. Yet when Rick mentions it, he gets a group side-eye. Okay then....

• Love 1

How did no one else notice the helicopter that Rick saw in downtown ATL? I'm pretty sure both Glenn and Merle were outside at the same time as Rick. And Glenn has always been Mr. Observant. Yet when Rick mentions it, he gets a group side-eye. Okay then....

On rewatch, that scene makes me laugh every time. "Oh, you think Rick Grimes is hallucinating?"

I used to find some of the characters poorly drawn. But this time around, I was able to compare all six episodes to season one of Fear the Walking Dead. I have no interest in watching the latter ever again, but I watch these episodes over & over and they really hold up. Interesting characters, some breathtaking visuals…

• Love 3

I agree! I made a rather long post in the comparison thread yesterday, showing how complex some of the TWD characters were, how we knew quite a lot about many of them after just 6 episodes. Whereas with FTWD, I know next to nothing. And don't really care. And yea, this season had some amazing imagery. Season 2 was marathoning last night and I think it did as well. Some of those farm shots are just stunning, and I love that final showdown with Rick and Shane. 

• Love 3

I just rewatched Season 1 from the marathon while convalescing (actually, not the best choice of shows to watch when you have a fever and are coughing up your left lung) and realized just how far down the dark and twisted road this show has gone.  I remember feeling this show was SO intense with important characters dying every episode...but looking at it now (after woodbury and Hershel's death and cannibals), season 1 was a carnival.  I personally LOVED the Vatos episode; the sudden spark of humor with the cute little grandma coming through was charming; two similar good groups trying to look tougher to protect their people instead of our heroes coming across a group who would want to rape a 12 year old boy or cut off someone's leg for a bbq.  I fell in love with Daryl all over again in "Cherokee Rose" and marvelled at the devolution of Shane (great character to hate).  When I first watched it I didn't get all the Internet hate for Lori; on a second viewing, hell yes.  Sign me up for the hate club.

Glen seemed so young and innocent; it's amazing to see where they are now -- how much they really have gone through and changed as characters.  Although the seasons (and even episodes within the seasons) can be unbalanced and inconsistent with pacing and content, I applaud the writers and actors for developing these characters so incredibly well.  

Just one question because I can't remember any more:   In one of the early episodes (maybe 4) Rick sees a helicopter fly by (the episode with the church) and then in the season finale, a helicopter is what draws the walkers to the farm.

Or did they ever explain who/how/what was behind the helicopter?

• Love 1

In one of the early episodes (maybe 4) Rick sees a helicopter fly by (the episode with the church). Did they ever explain who/how/what was behind the helicopter?

In the pilot, Rick saw a helicopter whilst he was riding a horse in Atlanta. (He told the department store raiders about it in episode 2, but they dismissed it as a hallucination.) I just thought it was a plot device to attract the show's very first zombie herd.

Non–season 1 helicopter talk:

The helicopter at the farm was the season 2 finale. Again, a plot device to attract a herd—so I guess it could've been the same one. But no, it was never explained.

In season 3, episode 3, National Guardsmen flew a Huey helicopter on a scouting mission but crashed near Woodbury. In season 4, episode 1, there was a crashed Marine helicopter on the roof of a Big Spot store near the prison.

• Love 1

I agree, season one (and even two) seem lighter in retrospect. I do miss some of that early humor. The Vatos episode was great. I wish the writers would make more of an effort to throw some funny stuff at us, even though the world has grown darker and darker for these people. 

• Love 2

In episode 5, WIldfire, when the group decides to head for the CDC they use Adagio in D Minor (The Surface of the Sun), one of my favorite pieces from John Murphy. But I feel like it could have been used better. It's a piece that really builds and the show doesn't use that momentum; just a few minutes after leaving the RV breaks down and they have to stop. I think a better use for it would have been when they were are the CDC and they've just been told about the self-destruct sequence and they begin to panic and try to escape and then the CDC explodes.

Also: I love that moment when they're trying to escape the CDC and Carol tells Rick she found something while doing laundry that she thinks might help them break through the windows; she reaches into her purse (while Shane snarks that a nail file won't help) and pulls out a grenade. Rick just looks dazed.

• Love 1

I've watched the marathons before, but I'm really enjoying this one, because I now have AMC in hi-def, so I get to see all of the gore of the walker killings and the increasing grunginess of the characters nice and clear.  However, it has been a while since I watched season one, so it was fun remembering scenes that I liked.

As I watch future seasons, I'm going to try to remember to wonder how the storylines might have played out if Andrea had been allowed to stay at the CDC (and, in my opinion, she should have been allowed to stay.  It was her choice, not Dale's).  Would the group have ever met up with Michonne?  Would things have gone differently with the guv'ner?  (probably not.)

I love that moment when they're trying to escape the CDC and Carol tells Rick she found something while doing laundry that she thinks might help them break through the windows; she reaches into her purse (while Shane snarks that a nail file won't help) and pulls out a grenade

This was so great!  She was so timid back then.  It was interesting to see how she changed over time.

Small observation: Except for the fact that he needed to wash his hair, Daryl actually looked pretty clean during season one.  

Finally, I had to laugh when Jim told Lori:  'You keep your boy close.  You don't ever let him out of your sight.'  (Yeah, she really followed that advice, didn't she?)

• Love 1
12 hours ago, BooksRule said:

Small observation: Except for the fact that he needed to wash his hair, Daryl actually looked pretty clean during season one.  

Man, I miss that Daryl. Even season two was fine. Not only was he better to look at, IMO, but his character was much more interesting. Now he is boring and greasy. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, ghoulina said:

Man, I miss that Daryl. Even season two was fine. Not only was he better to look at, IMO, but his character was much more interesting. Now he is boring and greasy. 

You realize, of course, you just described a school lunch.

• Love 2

Rewatching made me realize how first impressions are so important. We loved Glenn immediately before we saw his face, just from his voice on the radio. Then when he's selfless and courageous helping Rick out and being funny I'm like "Yeah, this guy is great."  First time we meet Andrea she's got a gun in Rick's face, hysterical, blaming him for their predicament and ready to shoot him and I'm like "WTF bitch?!"

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 4

I'm a complete noob to TWD world, and only found out about it via the Romero & Evil Dead forums on the web.

Despite the critical and public acclaim I did have reservations, thinking it would be a Resident Evil or Night of the Living Dead spin-off.

However, episode one surpassed my expectations - definitely not a fast-paced action/gore fest with jump cuts and loud dumb music etc. In fact I was surprised at the complete lack of a score, other than the end credits, coupled with a slow-burn characterisation and story arcs. It is also a little more thought-provoking than than the manic but incredibly funny "Ash Vs Evil Dead", which I realise is a different sub-genre, but it was good to see some subtle/sombre moments which offered some empathy to the walkers.

Yes, there were a few nitpicks, but I'll worry about them some other time. But for now TWD has grabbed me by the throat and Episode two is next on my list.

Edited by Zola
  • Love 2

Three episodes in and I have to confess to having very little empathy for most of the main characters, with the exception of Rick. But even he seems a little one dimensional.

Shane reminds me too much of Erik "CHiPs" Estrada - and right from the off I knew he was going to be a loose cannon somewhere along the line, as well as having his eyes on Lori. So what he did to Ed was no big surprise other than to emphasise the Alpha Male trope in much the same way they have done for Merle and Daryl Dixon. 

And I really don't like/trust Lori - seems like a bit of a bunny boiler in the making (this is my first run-through with TWD series, so you regulars out there might be wondering what the hell I'm on about, lol)

I just couldn't quite invest myself into any of these characters thus far, and the episode was a little flat compared to the well measured Pilot. 

I will continue watching, but already I'm losing interest primarily because of all the low hanging fruit masquerading as familiar tropes, that are starting to appear throughout the season thus far.

I was instantly drawn to Rick, Glenn, Darly, and Carl. They did not do so well with females in the earlier seasons. I'm one of the lone Lori-defenders, but even I can see why people don't like her. 

6 minutes ago, ghoulina said:

I was instantly drawn to Rick, Glenn, Darly, and Carl. They did not do so well with females in the earlier seasons. I'm one of the lone Lori-defenders, but even I can see why people don't like her. 

Perhaps I need to be a little more patient and let the show unravel at its own speed. I guess it's a little unusual to try and cram in so many lead characters into a premier season with only 6 episodes. 

Just turned on Guts, the Daryl and Merle weekend run.  This is such a classic, iconic series. Even watching the old, season 1 episodes is still AWESOME! Just love when Glenn calls Rick dumbarse, lol. Daryl took a real liking to Rick. Even though  Rick was the one who cuffed his brother to the pipe etc.. I wonder if it was because someone finally took a stand against his racist,bully brother, and won. Daryl looked up to Rick like a father figure, or brother he never had. Daryl had empathy though. Growing up he knew things were not as they should be, people were not being treated right. It takes empathy to see that. Just like Glenn tells Rick he helped him because one day he might be in a tight spot and need help. That is empathy, being able to see right and wrong,or the need to help others in need. To err is human, to help is empathy. 

Boy, Rick really did humanize that dude before they chopped him up for zombieflage. I was always surprised as the series went on that they didn't utilize that technique more often. Here they are still worried about contamination. Not knowing they were all infected already. 

Puppies, and kittens. That is a regular term used on Z-Nation. 

I think I might have put a towel, shirt, hat(like Glenn) over my head if I were Rick. 

++++++++++++++Here comes the rain again, raining on my head like new emotion, like a memory. The memory of how the zombieflage can easily be washed away in minutes and leave a person fighting for their life. 

____________--Geeze, in hindsight I have never seen anyone scale a chain link fence that fast, holy Rick and Glenn getting jiggy with it. 

___________Why do peeps always break the driver side window. Break the passenger side then you don't have to sit in broken glass, ouch. 

____ Poor Merle, made his bed now he has to lay in, boohoo. 

__________Actually, that is too bad for Merle. Even jerks don't deserve that kind of treatment. But, it was an accident he didn't mean to drop the key. Panic will get a person every time. If I saw those walkers coming at me I would panic too. 

------------Frog legs are delicious, taste like chx,lol. 

+++++++++++++ I doubt if Andrea would have got messed up with the gov if Amy were alive at that time. The gov would have moved in on Amy and Andrea would have seen him for what he was sooner. Boy, the looks on their faces when they see Rick for the first time. What a really neat scene. 

___________man what filming,action work to get that walkers head to land like that. What a camera view, just great work.The fx if the walker were awesome. That scene was terrific to watch. In the za  one accident can take your life away if you don't get up and keep on movin. Heck, you could say that about life today. Merle was one angry American man!