Type keyword(s) to search

We've Got a Beaver Problem: Canada vs. The World

• Start Topic

No RuPaul? No Michelle? Not even Pangina? And who else thinks that WoW got Silky and Ra'jah to sign up for a sneaky two-fer in exchange for AS6?

"Well, how bad could this be"?, Ra'jah muses, thinking of the bookings that she'll lose as a result of having to appear twice in a row. "I can't speak anything but English, and Down Under will never be renewed, so I guess that I'll just appear on another All Stars season!". The phone rings. "Congratulations, Ra'jah -- you're off -- to Mississauga!"

This all feels very familiar. A little too familiar. This is either the start of a scary sequel to the Stephen King hit 1408, or a really mediocre season of Drag Race.

On the plus side: I saw Brooke Lynn's face actually move a few times during the episode! I feel that hope is now at least possible.

Edited by davidcalgary29
  • Love 1

I'm watching it on WOW. So glad Victoria Scone is there. I am surprised that Icesis Couture came back. But she is a favorite so I am okay with that.

There is definitely good talent here, but the writing is already on the wall for some. 

I do hate Allstar rules where the queens lip-sync to send someone home. But I loved Vanity Milan's reaction when she found out she won $10K for winning the lip sync. The British queens may all try to get on these Allstar seasons to get a little cash.

• Love 1

Victoria Scone!!!!!!! I love her.

Kendall, I like you, but getting "Pangina'ed" means a clear frontrunner is ruthlessly cut during her one misstep. You...uh...you were no Pangina here.

I'm glad Stephanie Prince survived just because I think she did go home too soon in her season, but I remain concerned. On the flip side, I didn't think I could love Rita Baga more, and yet, here we are. But making a crack at someone's lips being done when you've clearly gone through some work yourself...gurl.

Vanity Millan seems a little stuck on her own talking points, but what a pleasure it is to see her doing so well. She tore that lip sync up. I was SHOCKED that Silky was just safe though. Honestly, that's the most stunning thing she's ever worn on the runway, and it was the moment. Rajah was great, but of the two, I ranked Silky higher. I found her exhausting on season 11 -- both of them, tbh. But I'm happy to give them their chances based on what I heard about them on All-Stars. They seem more focused and polished for sure.

Lastly, poor Anita Wiglet. She was a total weirdo who I had to warm up to on Down Under, but her elimination felt so unwarranted. And she's clearly talented, but her looks are too basic in comparison to everyone else's. I hope she'll do great in the Snatch Game, but after that, I fear she'll be leaving sooner than later.

Brook Lynn, the mullet has to go. You're too hot to do this to yourself.

• Love 2

Hardly groundbreaking but a fun bunch of queens and I'm here for the ride.

I was so relieved that Stephanie was saved - she really went home too soon on S2 and hope she's not in her head going forward. Girl can serve some looks. (I hated whatever it was Kendall was wearing so Au revoir! Bye!  to that). 

Rita and Vanity delivered a great lipsync. (Canada always brings it on) 

I was unfamiliar with the this Anjulie chick. Her crits seemed very good and the song was fine. Google tells me she's dating Bill Maher (whom I cannot stand).

And I am also stunned to say that Silky slayed this week and if she wins this season I won't be too mad. 

• Love 2

What percentage of time of each episode is devoted to the different representation metrics most queens (or the Producers) are intent on beating us over the head with? 

I've said it before and I'll keep saying it but whoever is doing BLH's hair should be investigated by the UN War Crimes Commission. 

I found Victoria Scone's and Silky's treatment of the guest to be a bit off-putting. I mean, I get when they talk crudely to, ogle, and eye-fuck the Pit Crew. That's why they're there. But to do that to a professional -- not only a professional, but an award-winning professional who is there solely to help you -- was pretty shitty. Why mention her tits? Why call her your wife? I wasn't a fan of either of them before and this certainly does nothing persuade me otherwise. 

• Thanks 1
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, Mahfouz said:

I found Victoria Scone's and Silky's treatment of the guest to be a bit off-putting. I mean, I get when they talk crudely to, ogle, and eye-fuck the Pit Crew. That's why they're there. But to do that to a professional -- not only a professional, but an award-winning professional who is there solely to help you -- was pretty shitty. Why mention her tits? Why call her your wife? I wasn't a fan of either of them before and this certainly does nothing persuade me otherwise. 

An excellent point. Gross behaviour is simply gross behaviour, no matter the source. I keep thinking of Elektra Shock asking her member of the Pit Crew if he was comfortable being placed in an awkward position during a challenge -- this is what should be normalized -- not confessionals in which the queens talk about how thirsty they are.

What the hell? One of the worst challenges on this series...combined with one of the best runways of any of the series. I think that this even tops "Circus Bezerkus"  for me, which is saying something. And all of the placements were well-deserved, which is a rare thing for Brooke Lynn & Co.

And did Priyanka really call herself the "first ever brown winner of a Drag Race" when talking to Victoria? That had to have been taken out of context, right???

If Stephanie had to go out, I'm glad for her that she was wearing something like that when she did. Stunning.

Edited by davidcalgary29
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, dolphincorn said:

Silky did a great reprise of her T.S. Madison impersonation. She should have been in the bottom instead of Anita. Icesis and Ra'Jah clearly drew a line in the sand during this episode. Also, Justin Trudeau is my astrological twin.

I completely agree! Icesis and Ra'jah are my favorites and I hope the final two. Although, if Victoria wins I'd be pretty happy with that. With Kendall and Stephanie gone I hope that Silky and Rita are the next to go.

I don't understand why folks think that Silky is great. She is one dimensional, a screen time hog, and her fashion is hot or miss.  Rita I find abrasive. And I she may be a racist. 

Anyway, I'm in for this one for at least a bit longer.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Ms.Lulu said:

I hope that Silky and Rita are the next to go.

I'm afraid that this French Vanilla Fantasy is going off to the Ballad of the Sad Cafe to watch a viewing party hosted by Kandy Muse.  I just don't see a top four that doesn't include Silky, Ra'jah, Icesis, and Rita. Victoria maybe has an outside shot at taking out Rita if she turns her game around (quickly) -- and it would be smart for production to include her to pander to this franchise's second biggest (trackable) audience -- but no one else. 

Anita's the next out unless she places in the top; no one's going to fire up a twitter shitstorm if she's eliminated.

Edited by davidcalgary29
  • Love 1

Overall a fun episode even if the reading challenge was a bomb and the Snatch Game was overall meh (But they mostly are nowadays except for All Stars 7). 

That said the judging was fair and though sad to see Steph go that may be all she had to give right now. I doubt Anita is going to last much longer either. ( I was sure Icesis was saving her Canadian sis). Icesis and Rajah ate and Ice left no crumbs on that lipsync. 

Yeah not sure how Priyanka determines "brown skin" when there have been now several queens of South East Asian, LatinX and mixed race origins. Sure she is the first South Asian winner. 

As a non- Canadian (and totally unaware of the countries internal politics) it was heartwarming to see a leader like Justin Trudeau show his support. Made me really teary eyed and wish I was Canadian too.

• Love 3

That reading challenge was rooooouuuugh. The only one that was as bad was drag race original recipe -- season 11. COINCIDENCE? (Probably. But still worth noting.)

I said this during season 11 with the first Silky row to hoe. I said this during season 13 with Kandy Muse. And now I guess I'll say it again with this appearance of Silky -- she's more talented than people want to admit. Her personality still clearly grates on some, but she's earned her professional cred on this show multiple times, and her outfits have improved astronomically. She will never be one of my favorites, but that doesn't mean I didn't gasp in delight when I stepped off a hotel elevator during a work conference and saw her standing there for realsies (she's shorter than me too, which was a real surprise). Our paths didn't cross again, but I was thrilled to have seen her even for a second.

Anyway, point is, it's really hard to let old prejudices go, and I get that. Ra'jah annoyed me WAY more on season 11, truth be told, so seeing her image so rehabbed is taking me some getting used to. But although I don't want Silky to win (team Victoria or Rita), I'll continue to defend her existence and actual skills on the show.

• Love 1

How Icesis and Ra'jah were not in the top is a mystery that will follow the series to its conclusion. Silky's placement is less questionable, but Victoria's looks just didn't top the safes. Her final look, in particular, was pretty messy, and I'm shocked that it didn't knock her out of the top, especially as all of Icesis' looks were polished, beautiful, and beautifully conceived. 

The bottom placements were well-deserved, and the elimination expected, and the elimination fair, but this is making the season boring. Unless we get a shock next week, Rita and Vanity seem to be up next, for the chopping block,  leaving a Silky/Ra'Jah/Icesis/Victoria top four. 

• Love 1
On 10/18/2022 at 6:47 PM, Starchild said:

So Canada vs the World is coming. And Silky Nutmeg Ganache is coming with it. I pray to the drag gods that without Ru to prop her up, she's out quickly.

Welp, so much for that. Hope violently dashed.

18 minutes ago, davidcalgary29 said:

How Icesis and Ra'jah were not in the top is a mystery that will follow the series to its conclusion. Silky's placement is less questionable, but Victoria's looks just didn't top the safes. Her final look, in particular, was pretty messy, and I'm shocked that it didn't knock her out of the top, especially as all of Icesis' looks were polished, beautiful, and beautifully conceived.

Either the judges had a collective stroke, or we did. Maybe it's because I don't know fashion, but that outfit Silky made was not one of the top ones to me. I will admit she won the lipsync though.

I'm going to miss Anita's smile. I've said before that she always tries so hard to be cheerful in spite of being at the bottom of everyone's list, and I admire that.

Then again, she has the same air of every tragic character who smiles and says they're fine, then drives full speed into a brick wall. And nobody saw it coming. I hope she'll be alright.

• Love 2

I usually lurk, but DAMN! Silky's ugly brown top with an unfinished looking edge was hideous! It was so bad, I felt the need to comment 😬. How did no one clock her for that? Overall, I thought the outfit was OK and probably safe, but that top was awful. And Victoria (who I really like) looked like her lipstick was all smeared in that final look. Maybe it was just my crappy old iPad, but her make up looked wrong. 

Edited by GingerPudding
typo
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Yes the judging was wonky this ep. Icesis was clearly in the top (over Silky IMO) and Vanity was bottom two (over Rita Baga). 

I guess they want to spread the wins around. 

Victoria did great this episode and a justified top placement. There is however something about her podium standing / activism that I find a bit forced and dull but YMMV. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Too bad Icesis was feeling bad enough to stop, but glad she's decided to take care of herself. I saw her winning this though, so there's a spanner in the works now. I wonder if the clear unfairness last week played into at all, perhaps she was seeing the puppet strings this time out.

Of the queens that are left:

• I just don't see Vanity winning this
  • As much as I love Rita, I don't see her being the best, but if they want to do what they did with UK and have a home girl win, she's the only one left now, so I guess we'll see
  • Victoria is very good, but...
  • I think R'ajah is the best out of these 5
  • I don't detest Silky as much as I used to, but she just doesn't have the polish that the top queens have -- that being said, I have developed a deep concern that Icesis' departure has ruined TPTB's original plans and so they're just going to hand the win to Silky -- since she couldn't win in the US, they're going to let her win here -- as a Canadian that would make me very sad
  • Love 1
51 minutes ago, Starchild said:
  • I don't detest Silky as much as I used to, but she just doesn't have the polish that the top queens have -- that being said, I have developed a deep concern that Icesis' departure has ruined TPTB's original plans and so they're just going to hand the win to Silky -- since she couldn't win in the US, they're going to let her win here -- as a Canadian that would make me very sad

I can totally see Silky winning the entire competition: I think that she's done the best amongst the queens remaining in this series, and the editors have given her a very winning edit, personality wise. It's highly unlikely that a Canadian (or any of the Down Under queens) will ever win one of these "vs." seasons -- I doubt that WoW gets much remuneration from these markets -- but Icesis was probably Canada's best shot at it. Unless Rita's in the top next week, she's a goner...followed by Vanity who, despite her very admirable performance skills, is not going to win this.

I thought that Victoria did well-ish in the lipsynch tonight -- she certainly captured the song's mood -- but she's not a great lipsyncher. I was disappointed with Silky -- it was a little too reminscent of "No Scrubs". Maybe she threw it so she wouldn't have to take out a queen?

On the plus side: Brooke Lynn was the most animated that I've seen her. The meds have finally kicked in!

Edited by davidcalgary29

It was another week of Silky phoning in the runway. She is the Canadian version of Jujubee from UK versus the world. Although Jujubee had the excuse that there wasn't a cash prize. Hopefully, Silky doesn't win it all. I know Drag Race wants us to love Silky, but I just don't. Now that Icesis is gone, I'd like to see a final 2 of Victoria and Ra'jah.

Glad that these are much shorter seasons...

Edited by Ms.Lulu
  • Love 2
On 12/17/2022 at 6:52 PM, Ms.Lulu said:

Glad that these are much shorter seasons...

Yeah, I was over this season a couple of episodes ago; now it just seems like work.

The entire runway was terrible this week: it was easily one of the worst of the last couple of franchises. And never mind Silky's Kindergarten Art Project take on Mo Heart's "Best Judy Realness" runway; Ra'jah, who's almost always on point, looked terrible. I'm guessing that fatigue is setting in for everyone at this point.

Well, that played out as expected. Rajah is a worthy winner in this group.  Icesis was my favorite, but Rajah paid her dues. And I was impressed with what Victoria shared this season. I hope we see more.

But I'd be happy to see no more Silky, Kendall or Stephanie. And Rita has made some unfortunate choices too. Anita wasn't memorable and Vanity still lacks confidence.

I give this season a B-.

• Like 1

I said after Icesis left that Ra'jah was the best of who was left, so not surprised she won, but damn I was really afraid for a second that they'd give it to Silky anyway.

Speaking of, I think Silky and Rita were roughly equal in their match-up, so it would have been nice to see a Canadian in the final lip sync, but I guess they wanted the drama of the Siamese twins finally facing off.

All I can say is, they're lucky Icesis left, otherwise we know who would have won this.

• Love 2

I'm just glad that it's over. And I fast-forwarded through most of the episode! I'm happy that Ra'jah won -- I just couldn't root for any of the other three finalists -- but the win felt small and anti-climatic, instead of the triumphant celebration it should have been. They really do need to retool these International AS seasons, and I'm glad to see that they seem to be working on it for next year.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

I think I am burned out. Hope there is a break before the next one. They are really churning them out.

It seemed predestined that Ra'jah was going to win. Maybe she earned it, what with it being her third time up and always a bridesmaid, but for me, I never even remember Ra'jah until she turns up again. And even though I just finished watching, I can't remember anything memorable Ra'jah did this season! So she is middle of the road for me. I swear Ru just has a master chart of queens where she plots all the rises, falls, comebacks and wins.  

• Like 2

I haven't heard anything about the next vs the world franchise.

US Drag Race 15:     Jan 6

Allstars 8:                  In the can release date TBD

Drag Races for Brazil, Mexico, Germany, Sweden, Belgium  and Spanish Allstars have all been announced as well.

WOW is planning on 15 series in 2023.

Edited by Ms.Lulu
  • Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1

I was just thinking about Sweden's version, and it made me realize that the artists used for the lip syncs are likely to include ABBA, Ace of Base, Army of Lovers, Robyn and September. Seriously, I gave myself goosebumps just typing that.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, dolphincorn said:

I was just thinking about Sweden's version, and it made me realize that the artists used for the lip syncs are likely to include ABBA, Ace of Base, Army of Lovers, Robyn and September. Seriously, I gave myself goosebumps just typing that.

I agree! Maybe Lykke Li, Icona Pop and The Cardigans too. I will watch.

On 12/28/2022 at 8:23 AM, dolphincorn said:

The first -- and most obvious -- first song for a lipsync must be Roxette's "The Look". C'mon now!