Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E08: Welcome to What Used to be the Neighborhood

jewel21
  • Start Topic

When Calvin’s favorite restaurant closes and is replaced by a flashy pet spa, he worries the community is losing too many small businesses and starts a campaign to only buy local. Also, Tina helps Necie prepare a special surprise for Marty.

Airdate: 11/21/2022

Malcom's shirt in this episode looked so good. I wish I could have it.

Another strong episode, the show is really killing it this season. I loved the scenes with Malcolm and Gemma, the secretive shopping was so funny, and also the scenes where everybody found out. And also the cooking lessons were so true to life: when you have been cooking for a long time you just know how much to use from each ingredient, but you are not going to be a good teacher if you can't explain things.

• Love 4

There’s a little grocery store in my neighborhood that I love because it has a great “ethnic foods” section with terrific spices and sauces, and they also stock Jeni’s ice cream and great coffee (I’m probably picking up some coffee there today). However, the staples are stupid expensive so I don’t get them there ever. (I also once got a brownie as an impulse buy, and it turned out to cost four dollars and it wasn’t even good.) I felt it when Tina said the orange juice cost $11.99. 

The bit with the jade roller had me dying. The way Dave snarled “use it” was hilarious, and Malcolm playing it as the affair partner was awesome. “You could at least stay for coffee!”

4 hours ago, Harvey said:

And also the cooking lessons were so true to life: when you have been cooking for a long time you just know how much to use from each ingredient, but you are not going to be a good teacher if you can't explain things.

My grandmother’s recipes are just lists of ingredients. I’m a good cook so I can work with it but my dollops ain’t her dollops - things don’t taste exactly the same. (I’m still trying to get her potato salad right.)

• Like 2
  • Love 4

Oh yes.  Most Americans think of nutmeg as a "sweet" spice for pumpkin pie and spice cookies.  But it is excellent in savory dishes.  Adding it to a ricotta and spinach layer in lasagna is so good.  It also adds a certain peppery warmth to a cream sauce.  Yum! 

Once again, I love how each character has a relationship with the other characters.  Malcolm and Gemma totally cracked me up.  Dave's hissed "Use it!" with Gemma trying to show Malcolm all while knowing the gig was up had me in hysterics.

I also loved the juxtaposition of inventory on the Friendly Market shelves.  I've been to small time mom and pop stores, and they are exactly like that!  You'll be browsing the shelves, thinking you're in the chip section then suddenly, that's not dip that's.....shoe polish!

• Love 3
2 hours ago, HurricaneVal said:

Oh yes.  Most Americans think of nutmeg as a "sweet" spice for pumpkin pie and spice cookies.  But it is excellent in savory dishes. 

It's one of the spices they now have identified as umami.  A flavor enhancer for either sweet or savory.

• Useful 1