Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E08: Estée Lauder and Goat Meat

• Start Topic

38 minutes ago, greekmom said:

Better episode but it looks like Tunde is going to bleed Bob dry and the factory will become a lemon.

IRL, Bob could probably sell some other asset (not the house) to pay off the mortgage, but that seems like too complex of a solution for a 17 minute sitcom. 

At the end, when Tunde blew a fuse, isn't that something that needed to be discovered? 

I finally realized why the show isn't appointment TV for me anymore. They sidelined the delightful Tunde and Olu and brought the inutterably toxic Ebun in to suck up their screen time. There's so little sweetness or heart left in the show. It was so good to see the four of them together in one scene without all the negativity. I was hoping there'd be more, but nope, Ebun is staying and being even more toxic than ever. Not fun, not funny.

Edited by Ms Lark
spelin'
  • Like 2
  • Love 12

Finally a good episode. I liked the dialouge in this one, so many sharp lines. The scene where everyone got upset at Bob at the party was really good, and it was funny when it turned out people were agreeing with him all along.

40 minutes ago, bad things are bad said:

Meh

Is Bob going to end up poor and will they all move in with Olu and Tunde? Storyline makes no sense to me. 

Even if he did, Dottie must have loads of money stashed away. She now lives with Bob, it would be weird if she didn't return the favour when Bob falls on hard times.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Harvey said:

it would be weird if she didn't return the favour when Bob falls on hard times.

It would be weird, but not unexpected. She doesn't strike me as the type to do things without expectations of returns. Even though they've done a ton for her. 

I don't like that they're making Tunde inept. I was hoping this would be a good storyline, not Tunde can't do things correctly. If I recall, doesn't he manage several apartment buildings? Or something along those lines. He has the skills. I was fine with him and Bob fussing about the cracks in the floor because I can see both sides to that and I can see Tunde as being a perfectionist in it. But then when he was jackhammering the floor to see the subfloor? Would it even have subfloor since there is cement? I know my house isn't a factory, but when I pulled up carpet, there was cement. I'm 100% sure there's nothing under the cement but dirt. 

• Love 6
3 hours ago, joanne3482 said:
6 hours ago, Harvey said:

it would be weird if she didn't return the favour when Bob falls on hard times.

It would be weird, but not unexpected. She doesn't strike me as the type to do things without expectations of returns. Even though they've done a ton for her. 

If the show was in its last season, a likely plot would be they are camping out in the warehouse because the bank repossessed the house, and then Dottie dies and leaves an unexpected ton of money divided evenly between Bob, Christine, and Douglas.

• Love 1

They are seriously going to have to do something about Ebun's character.  They have written her to be thoroughly unlikeable.  She has mentioned several times she was unhappy with her marriage (I can only imagine how unhappy "Daddy" was in the marriage) yet we're supposed to feel sorry for her that he's sent her his wedding ring, just plopped into a baggie on top of some of her other stuff?  What was he supposed to do?  Fly to Detroit to get verbally abused to tell her they're over?  Call her to be verbally abused before he tells her they're over?  Zoom call for verbal abuse from judgemental nostrils?  Ordinarily I'd call out that sort of behavior as chicken-shit, but in this case, I'm giving him a pass.  What else was he supposed to do? 

I'm also a little confused by Abishola's jump from "Daddy is divorcing Mommy" to "We need to have a party for Mommy!"  Maybe it is Nigerian cultural thing?  It just seemed weird.  Also weird?  It didn't look like anybody from church--whom she specifically wanted invited--went to the party.  Or maybe that wasn't weird, maybe that was some subtle writing from the scriptroom laying the foundation for Ebun's return to Nigeria?  Maybe she realizes other than Abishola, Dele, Olu, Tunde, and to a certain extent, Bob, she has nobody and no support in Detroit.  Her empire is small.

Unfortunately, I see some of my mother in Ebun.  My mom is also often openly critical of me and others, and does not hesitate to state her opinions, since to her mind they should be considered treasured guidance.

I don't like how they're writing Tunde either.  He's a character, but he's not stupid, nor is he a buffoon.  I hope there is some redemption later, where Tunde is given the opportunity to explain that he needed to see what was under the concrete, because he did research and knows that buildings of that age and area might have valuable vintage flooring, or big beam timbers that are worth a lot of money if sold off.  Or he had historical photos that showed a subbasement that had been cemented over.

I can only hope that this gets fixed.  Please.

• Hugs 1
  • Love 5
20 minutes ago, Lifesabeach said:

This show needs reworking and maybe some new writers. 

Sure. How about:
Bob loses everything.
Meanwhile, behind the scenes, so to speak, Christina is winning the real sexual harassment law suit against Toesy Woesys, making her a multi-millionaire and boss of Toesy Woseys. 
Christina is not vindictive, so she will give Douglas a job that allows him to own a home Dottie can live in. She also hires Goodwin.
Does Bob start a new career?
Maybe Christina and Kofo rekindle the romance (well, she rekindles; Kofo just kindles) and they become a couple.

• LOL 1

I think the series has been Bob’s imagination as he was having his heart attack. Whether he lives and his reality unfolds like it did or he realizes it was transference and goes on to make a new reality or he dies is up to the runner.

• Mind Blown 4
  • Wink 1
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, Kiddvideo said:

I think the series has been Bob’s imagination as he was having his heart attack. Whether he lives and his reality unfolds like it did or he realizes it was transference and goes on to make a new reality or he dies is up to the runner.

... and he wakes up in bed with Melissa McCarthy...?

• Like 1
  • LOL 13
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, SoMuchTV said:

... and he wakes up in bed with Melissa McCarthy...?

Or he wakes up in the hospital with his wife——played by Melissa McCarthy——at his hospital bedside, and Abishola taking his pulse, humming the song she first sang in the pilot episode.
</and scene>

• Wink 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 2

I love Tunde but I thought he was 100% in the wrong here. I don't care if you're the world's leading expert on something or if you have 50 years experience - Bob was literally the customer calling the shots here. He specifically told Tunde what he wanted and Tunde flat out ignored him - then got mad at Bob for having the nerve to bring it up??? Ugh.

Also, the way they treat Dele has crossed the line from "strict parenting" to "downright child abuse". Both Abishola and Ebun literally tell him to shut up or go to his room every time he speaks a single word about anything. Does Chuck Lorre think this is funny?

• Like 3
  • Love 4

Yeah Tunde was totally in the wrong. This show is annoying me more and more. I want to delete my season pass and give up on this season. But I still sometimes hope that a good episode will come along, or they'll come back to a plot they dropped, like Abishola becoming a doctor. It feels like the writers are just doing random plots and forgetting previous history.

• Like 2
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, SnarkySheep said:

the way they treat Dele has crossed the line from "strict parenting" to "downright child abuse". Both Abishola and Ebun literally tell him to shut up or go to his room every time he speaks a single word about anything.

The writing for Dele is such that I always worry that Travis Wolfe Jr. must be so depressed that this is the only way they can write for him.

• Like 1
  • Love 2