Type keyword(s) to search

The Blacklist in the Media

• Start Topic

(edited)

Seriously?  She needs to concern herself with being able to emote and come across better than the limp noodle she portrays on screen.  I get that the material she's working with isn't great but she's got bigger problems than how she appears in the promos.  And yes, this is James Spader's show.

Okay, maybe I'm being a little hard on Megan because she wasn't bad in Blue Bloods but she's really not all that interesting on this show.

This does make me wonder if something else is going on here.

Edited by milkyaqua
  • Love 3
(edited)

I agree that MB is a very weak actress, and the show was actually more fun during her absence, but she is the female lead of the show. Spader is amazing, of course, but the show itself has always been about Lizzy and her relationship to Red. It's all seen through her eyes. That's why we see her team, and her husband, and her kid, and her maybe-father. Red is more of a mystery, with the occasional flashback episode and a handful of associates (just Dembe, at this point). We're not following Red's story, for the vast majority of the episodes. It's Lizzy's story. Her father. Her life. The reason she was handpicked by Red in the pilot. Technically, the promos should reflect that, and she's right to point that out.

Besides, The Blacklist is practically a dead show walking, and Spader (while supremely talented) is not exactly a trendy star anymore. And the show ain't getting any new viewers. So why not feature Lizzy in the promos? When the show is about her? The (totally correct) argument of "she's a terrible actress" doesn't mean much, not when the producers actually chose her. They cast her in this, and they made her their lead, and they should treat her accordingly. This isn't, like, Diego Klattenhoff complaining. Megan Boone is the female lead, but you wouldn't know it from most of the promos.

I don't know why she suddenly decided to comment on this, though. Maybe this'll be the final season (I can only imagine, based on the ratings, although this is NBC, so you never know), and she no longer feels like she needs to toe the company line? Because it'll all be over soon, so she feels more free when it comes to speaking out?

Edited by Princess Lucky
  • Love 3

Basically what Princess Lucky and milkyaqua said.  She's not the greatest actress in the world, very few actresses today are good, but they're generally passable.  Playing alongside James Spader doesn't help.  I saw her on Blue Bloods and it's hard to believe it's the same actress.  I watched an old episode of Law and Order LA because I wanted to see how she was in something else.  The only thing I can gather from seeing her in interviews and things outside of The Blacklist is that she is a serious personable person, but she is also assertive.  She seems to have a sense of humor, but more on the serious intellectual side.  Maybe the problem is she's trying to hard to act since the character she portrays is supposed to be lost or confused and in her attempt to act like a character she's totally failing.  The BB character was a detective that was a former Marine so the serious assertive part of MB worked for the character.  However this is not a topic that belongs on this section so I'll move on.

I agree with MB just from a woman's perspective and the fact that they chose to center the storyline on the character of Liz.  They do very little to give women any due credit on a lot of television shows so it would be nice.  You can't tell me that she is not supremely aware that she is no James Spader and will never accomplish the recognition that he has.  The show is on it's way out at this point what difference does it make if she's given her dues as the female lead.  She's probably aware this was her one big shot, which is why she fought so hard for the role.  At this point she probably wants to be able to have some kind of recognition as an actress.

• Love 1

The show is a business. If NBC's market research shows that Megan Boone does not draw in viewers or is not very well liked or viewers just don't care about her character then it doesn't make business sense to feature her in promos that are supposed get viewers interested in tuning this season. Posting passive-aggressive responses to promo tweets is probably not an effective way of getting the network to promote her character more. It suggests to me that something is going on BTS. Maybe her role is being reduced in season 5 or something. In MB's case, I would not automatically assume the lack of promotion is about Hollywood sexism and not about her being a mediocre actress who viewers don't enjoy.

MB may have been hired to be the female lead, however, shows change over the years and sometimes lead actors drop back into supporting roles. I've always thought of Liz as the main plot device, not the main character.

• Love 3
47 minutes ago, Princess Lucky said:

Nooooooooo.

Enrique Murciano won't be returning as Agent Gale.

I was literally the only one who liked his crazy-ass performance, and I will miss him. I liked having someone as weird as Red, well, chasing after Red. Squares like Ressler just won't do the trick. It's gotta be someone wild.

Now, if only Jon Bokenkamp would just disinvite Megan Boone so S5, then we might have a show.

(edited)

Oh, thank goodness!  The world only needs one bad Horatio Caine impression and David Caruso nailed that already.

I do agree with Princess Lucky though that someone going after Red should probably have a little style and pizzazz which Ressler does not (and he's got his own problems right now).  The only reason I'd have been okay with Enrique staying around was to twist the knife in Ressler's back about his working relationship with Red. 

Edited by milkyaqua
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

Now, if only Jon Bokenkamp would just disinvite Megan Boone so S5, then we might have a show.

At this point I've totally lost interest and I'm only invested in the resolution.  Even Spader can't save this show.  It's reminds me of the final two years of Boston Legal.

• Love 1

From TVLine:

Additionally, The Blacklist — which was slated to kick off its fifth season on Wednesday, Oct. 4 — will also return a week earlier, on Wednesday, Sept. 27 at 8/7c. It replaces a special standalone Blind Auditions episode of The Voice, which will now be reabsorbed into the normal Monday–Tuesday installments.

• Love 1

The Blacklist adds The Sopranos alum in season 5

The Sopranos star Aida Turturro has landed a recurring guest role on The Blacklist, EW has learned exclusively.

Turturro will play Hawkins, the brilliant accountant for an unusual business who has saved her own skin by cutting a deal with the Feds against a former business partner she absolutely loathes.

Additionally, Tony winner Michael Aronov will recur as Smokey Putnum, an expert in the art and science of logistics who once managed the travel arrangements of a magnificent, yet unusual, business, but has since fallen on hard times, currently on the run and accused of embezzling over $2 million.

• Love 1
On 24/6/2017 at 7:22 PM, Princess Lucky said:

I agree that MB is a very weak actress, and the show was actually more fun during her absence, but she is the female lead of the show. Spader is amazing, of course, but the show itself has always been about Lizzy and her relationship to Red. It's all seen through her eyes. That's why we see her team, and her husband, and her kid, and her maybe-father. Red is more of a mystery, with the occasional flashback episode and a handful of associates (just Dembe, at this point). We're not following Red's story, for the vast majority of the episodes. It's Lizzy's story. Her father. Her life. The reason she was handpicked by Red in the pilot. Technically, the promos should reflect that, and she's right to point that out.

Besides, The Blacklist is practically a dead show walking, and Spader (while supremely talented) is not exactly a trendy star anymore. And the show ain't getting any new viewers. So why not feature Lizzy in the promos? When the show is about her? The (totally correct) argument of "she's a terrible actress" doesn't mean much, not when the producers actually chose her. They cast her in this, and they made her their lead, and they should treat her accordingly. This isn't, like, Diego Klattenhoff complaining. Megan Boone is the female lead, but you wouldn't know it from most of the promos.

I don't know why she suddenly decided to comment on this, though. Maybe this'll be the final season (I can only imagine, based on the ratings, although this is NBC, so you never know), and she no longer feels like she needs to toe the company line? Because it'll all be over soon, so she feels more free when it comes to speaking out?

For once I have to agree with Megan (as wooden and bland as she is in TBL) and you've hit the nail on the head.

Perhaps she does feel less constrained and perhaps there might be more of it. I'd really REALLY like to see some comeback on the Eisendrath "get rid of her" email leaks from Season 1.

On 25/6/2017 at 2:00 AM, orza said:

The show is a business. If NBC's market research shows that Megan Boone does not draw in viewers or is not very well liked or viewers just don't care about her character then it doesn't make business sense to feature her in promos that are supposed get viewers interested in tuning this season. Posting passive-aggressive responses to promo tweets is probably not an effective way of getting the network to promote her character more. It suggests to me that something is going on BTS. Maybe her role is being reduced in season 5 or something. In MB's case, I would not automatically assume the lack of promotion is about Hollywood sexism and not about her being a mediocre actress who viewers don't enjoy.

MB may have been hired to be the female lead, however, shows change over the years and sometimes lead actors drop back into supporting roles. I've always thought of Liz as the main plot device, not the main character.

but then there's this... :)

• Love 1

I haven't watched in a while and it's because of Elizabeth Keen. I wonder if it'll be worth coming back to for S5 now that the whole "father" business is finished.

That said, I'm of two minds with regards to what Megan Boone did. On one hand, I see where she's coming from- she's billed as the female lead, yet she's often sidelined not just by the promos but in the episodes as well.

On the other hand, it feels like Boone is grandstanding to make up for her own failures as an actress. I get that, perhaps, no one on the show will come out and say that Boone stinks as an actress but I think it's pretty telling that Boone's mudslinging isn't met with any kind of support within The Blacklist. She's been doing this for years, and not once have I seen anyone else connected with the show say "she's right" or publicly pushed for her to get greater recognition. In fact, I don't see too many cast members say a lot of nice things about Boone. It wouldn't surprise me if, years after The Blacklist is finished that a tell-all comes out and we find out that no one liked Boone but the show had to keep her because some higher ups insisted on it.

What they should have done is simply found another female lead and write Boone out of the series. Preferably, I would have liked is if her death in S3 was permanent and the show settled on another female lead. Maybe instead of The Blacklist: Redemption they could have retooled the show so that Red and Halcyon team up to avenge Lizzy's death. I personally believe Redemption's cast is much stronger than the Mothership's cast (especially Ryan Eggold and Edi Gathegi) except for Red, so combining the two would have been a no-brainer. I also think Red and Scottie hunting for Whitehall would have made a far better long arc.

• Love 2

Blacklist Season 5 Episodes (NBC Wed 8:00PM):

5x1  - Sept 27, 2017    -   "Smokey Putnum" -  With his criminal empire in ruins, a surprisingly carefree Red enlists Liz in an unlikely plan to simultaneously earn cash and deliver a new Blacklister to the Task Force. As Liz faces the new reality of working alongside her father, Ressler finds himself in a precarious position and Tom weighs his options.

5x2  - Oct 4, 2017        -   "Greyson Blaise"    -  Liz and the Task Force join Red on an international adventure in pursuit of a billionaire who moonlights as a high end art thief. Meanwhile, Dembe chases a lead and Tom seeks outside help in identifying the remains in the suitcase.

5x3  - Oct 11, 2017      -   "Miss Rebecca Thrall"  -   While the Task Force investigates a series of suspicious police shootings, Agent Ressler is distracted by increasing external pressures. With his back up against the wall, Red drafts Tom in executing an elaborate plan to help re-establish his criminal reputation.

Edited by VinceW

I can't believe I'm going to be sucked into watching another season of the adventures of the dreckful pond-water-sucking Lizzie. Well, bring on the snark, I guess. And there's always Ressler and Tom and Dembe, so there's that.

• Love 2
On 28/08/2017 at 7:02 AM, Danielg342 said:

I haven't watched in a while and it's because of Elizabeth Keen. I wonder if it'll be worth coming back to for S5 now that the whole "father" business is finished.

That said, I'm of two minds with regards to what Megan Boone did. On one hand, I see where she's coming from- she's billed as the female lead, yet she's often sidelined not just by the promos but in the episodes as well.

On the other hand, it feels like Boone is grandstanding to make up for her own failures as an actress. I get that, perhaps, no one on the show will come out and say that Boone stinks as an actress but I think it's pretty telling that Boone's mudslinging isn't met with any kind of support within The Blacklist. She's been doing this for years, and not once have I seen anyone else connected with the show say "she's right" or publicly pushed for her to get greater recognition. In fact, I don't see too many cast members say a lot of nice things about Boone. It wouldn't surprise me if, years after The Blacklist is finished that a tell-all comes out and we find out that no one liked Boone but the show had to keep her because some higher ups insisted on it.

What they should have done is simply found another female lead and write Boone out of the series. Preferably, I would have liked is if her death in S3 was permanent and the show settled on another female lead. Maybe instead of The Blacklist: Redemption they could have retooled the show so that Red and Halcyon team up to avenge Lizzy's death. I personally believe Redemption's cast is much stronger than the Mothership's cast (especially Ryan Eggold and Edi Gathegi) except for Red, so combining the two would have been a no-brainer. I also think Red and Scottie hunting for Whitehall would have made a far better long arc.

She's pretty tight with Ryan Eggold but then again he thinks Brooklyn Decker can do Jack Nicholson's famous Few Good Men courtroom speech just like Jack *rolls eyes until I lose them in the back of my head*

• Love 1

From EW.com

After helping Red (James Spader) catch a bail jumper — and the star witness accountant in his case, both of whom would ultimately join Red’s new empire — Liz (Megan Boone) returned home to reunite with Tom (Ryan Eggold). But upon hearing the news that Red was indeed Liz’s father, Tom hesitated in revealing the contents of the mysterious suitcase. Viewers then saw what appeared to be a flash forward to Red and Dembe (Hisham Tawfiq) storming Liz’s apartment and shooting Tom Keen dead. What’s really going on in that scene? EW turned to executive producer Jon Bokenkamp to get the scoop on what’s next:

From TVLine.com:

TVLINE | Can we expect to see Tom in most Season 5 episodes?

He’s a regular on our show and has been since the pilot, and he’s at the core of that strange triangle between Reddington, Liz and Tom. That relationship has always been fraught, and it’s certainly no better now that this paternity issue has been settled. It’s not like that made anything better. Reddington has had a number of times where he probably would have killed Tom if not for Liz’s love for him. So yes, Tom, and the journey that he is about to embark on, is a very important part of this season.

TVLINE | How much did the cancellation of The Blacklist: Redemption influence this storyline, since you had to work Tom back into the plot of the mothership series?

I do wish Redemption had come back, and I’m proud of what we did. In my mind, Scottie Hargrave and Howard Hargrave and Mr. Solomon are still out there, and that story is carrying on, and Tom simply pops back and forth between the two. If anything, it was harder to be without Tom toward the last part of Season 4, just because things were a little bit out of balance. Our storyline with Tom this season would have been the same, with or without Redemption. His trust for Reddington has never been very strong, and he is just as suspicious, if not more suspicious, than he’s ever been./quote]

From TV Guide.com

What questions should viewers be asking as we move through Season 5?

Bokenkamp: I think in looking ahead at Season 5, the biggest questions viewers should be asking themselves are firstly, what is Reddington after? We still don't know why he came into Elizabeth Keen's life. Yes he is her father, but there's clearly something else going on here. There's clearly a larger mystery that has yet to be unraveled and that is something to pay attention to and to slowly watch unravel. The other thing to look out for is Reddington's empire building. His empire has been decimated, the people closest to him in his criminal life have abandoned him and he now finds himself in a place where he needs to rebuild. I think that rebuilding over this season is a massive undertaking, and we love surrounding Reddington with strange and complicated characters and feel like we have a real opportunity to let him go out and find people like Smokey Putnam or Heddie Hawkins or others yet to come, who are strange, fun criminals that can really help him fill out and reimagine this empire as he starts from scratch and rises from the ashes.

Edited by milkyaqua

The Blacklist first look: John Noble to appear as 'peculiar' Blacklister

The Fringe alum will appear in the Wednesday, Feb. 28 episode of the NBC drama as Raleigh Sinclair III, an artisan who has made it his life’s work to provide people with outlets for their darkest emotions. The hour’s Blacklister, Raleigh is a meticulous, exacting man who expects unquestioned obedience from his murderous clients, for whom he develops airtight alibis.

Martha Plimpton also will guest star in the same epi:

...will play Dr. Sharon Friedman, a tough but fair-minded psychotherapist who is hired by the FBI to evaluate Liz’s fitness for duty following the death of her husband — and it won’t be easy for all involved, because Dr. Friedman is classically skeptical and demands total honesty from her patients.

Edited by milkyaqua
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, milkyaqua said:

LOL, she won't be seen carrying a weapon that law enforcement uses on occasion but yet her character has murdered characters along with killing in self defense, covered up those and other crimes,lied, endangered/assaulted criminal informants by dragging/ threatening them in an era police brutality incidents, , enabled a criminal informant by ignoring a continuing criminal enterprise. The show where she is a primary character has also written, overlooked and ignored the criminal activity of other corrupt FBI agents where the ends justify the means. Won't carry an assault rifle again-lol, spare me the righteous indignation. 

• Love 2

Liz has never used one to begin with. This ain’t exactly going out on a limb here.  Besides, as misstwpherecool pointed out, playing someone who engages in violent, criminal behavior on s regular but only uses certain types of firearms isn’t that righteous of a stand as MB apparently thinks it is.

Edited by No 2 in our Hearts
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

Unfortunately, renewed for Season 6 -- I wonder what the MacGuffin will be next season.  The Search for for Curly's Gold or something equally as ridiculous as suitcase/bag of bones?

I don't know, but I can assure you it will probably take the entire 22 episode season to be revealed.

• Love 1
(edited)

I'll be the lone wolf who says YAY! that it's been renewed. But please, please, please let us find out about those damn bones in the next episode!

Edited by Gothish520
  • Love 1
On ‎5‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 12:29 PM, ottoDbusdriver said:

I'd be all up for a Season 6 if they somehow managed to dump Lizzie.

Even that wouldn't do it.  I've lost interest past the investment I put in with the beginning of season 1.  I think this last episode will mark the end of watching it on a regular basis.

21 hours ago, ally said:

I've lost interest past the investment I put in with the beginning of season 1.  I think this last episode will mark the end of watching it on a regular basis.

You've got to keep watching. Next year will be all about where the dogs have been and what they've been doing.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

I can't believe the most trite, trope ridden piece of junk has been renewed again? Another year of MB spitting out her words from behind locked jaws with all the emotion of a great white shark? Seriously, someone give me a job as a leading lady in an NBC drama, I am just as useless, just as untalented an actress and I can move around a set with all the emotion of a mahogany sideboard, just like Wooden Waif Meggie...

1 hour ago, Loandbehold said:

You've got to keep watching. Next year will be all about where the dogs have been and what they've been doing.

Maybe Agnes will have acquired one of them nasty military grade things her Mad Mother refuses to carry nowadays

(edited)

Blacklist EP: Finale's Duffel Bag Reveal Is 'Biggest Answer We've Given to Date'

“The story of the bones will definitely come to a close and be resolved in this week’s episode. We’re going to give the audience a very big answer — the biggest we’ve given to date and a truth we’ve been working toward for five years,” he teases. “What exactly that means for Season 6 is yet to be seen, but I can assure you the events of our season finale will set the stage for a super compelling story moving forward.”

I'll have to see it to believe it otherwise I'll treat this as someone having a bridge to sell...  And of course TPTB have no clue what season six will be like which isn't surprising.

Edited by milkyaqua
6 hours ago, milkyaqua said:

Blacklist EP: Finale's Duffel Bag Reveal Is 'Biggest Answer We've Given to Date'

I'll have to see it to believe it otherwise I'll treat this as someone having a bridge to sell...  And of course TPTB have no clue what season six will be like which isn't surprising.

The bones are the remains of ..... Kaiser Soze.  Or are they ?

Whatever the reveal is it will most likely be incredibly disappointing.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, ally said:

I can't believe they gave this show a full season 6.  If they give it a 7 I might actually jump off the nearest bridge.  I guess it's not so bad I watch something else at the timeslot they've given it so I won't be seeing it.

But remember, it's being pushed back to midseason.

5 hours ago, milkyaqua said:

But remember, it's being pushed back to midseason.

It's ok my favorite Friday night go to show is all season long and probably in it's final season.  The only way I'll probably tune in for a full episode is if my other show is not on or it's a rerun.

The Blacklist Season 6 to Launch With Two-Hour Premiere in January

Elizabeth Keen’s quest to destroy Raymond Reddington will officially begin on Friday, Jan. 4, at 8/7c, TVLine has learned.

Season 6 of The Blacklist will kick off with a two-hour premiere, before settling into its regular 9 pm time slot on Friday, Jan. 11.

Following the startling revelation that Raymond “Red” Reddington isn’t who he says he is, Elizabeth Keen is torn between the relationship she’s developed with the man assumed to be her father and her desire to get to the bottom of years of secrets and lies. Meanwhile, Red leads Liz and the FBI to some of the most strange and dangerous criminals yet, growing his empire and eliminating rivals in the process. All throughout, Liz and Red engage in an uneasy cat-and-mouse game in which lines will be crossed and the truth will be revealed.

Edited by milkyaqua

Remember the logic puzzle about the forks in the road and the 2 guardians? One road leads to CERTAIN DEATH and the other to SURVIVAL. One guardian always tells the truth and the other always lies. You can only ask one question to determine the correct path. Next season will be Liz trying to figure out what question to ask "Reddington"

Blacklist Scheduling Twist: NBC to Launch Season 6 on Special Night

NBC is tweaking its rollout plan for The Blacklist, giving the drama’s Season 6 premiere a special Thursday berth before it relocates to its new permanent Friday home.

Earlier this month, the Peacock announced that The Blacklist would christen its new Friday-at-9 pm perch on Jan. 4 with a special two-hour episode. Per the revised plan, the first hour of the two-parter will now air on Thursday, Jan. 3 at 10/9c (following the launch of the new reality show The Titan Games), with Part 2 unspooling in its regular time slot, Friday, Jan. 4 at 9/8c.

• Love 1