Type keyword(s) to search

The Blacklist in the Media

• Start Topic

From TV Line's Ask Ausiello:

As teased in the Season 6 trailer, Red will spend some time behind bars after being double-crossed by a close confidant — but don’t count him out just yet. “He’s really been stripped of his superpowers,” series creator Jon Bokenkamp shares. “He’s disconnected from his resources, he may have friends who will fall away and he’s sort of on his heels, which is new for us.” But Bokenkamp assures fans that “if anyone could embrace the solitude of a cell and the experience of incarceration with open arms, it would be Raymond Reddington. We have really high stakes, but we also have some of the most fun we’ve had, as well.”

17 hours ago, milkyaqua said:

From TV Line's Ask Ausiello:

As teased in the Season 6 trailer, Red will spend some time behind bars after being double-crossed by a close confidant — but don’t count him out just yet. “He’s really been stripped of his superpowers,” series creator Jon Bokenkamp shares. “He’s disconnected from his resources, he may have friends who will fall away and he’s sort of on his heels, which is new for us.” But Bokenkamp assures fans that “if anyone could embrace the solitude of a cell and the experience of incarceration with open arms, it would be Raymond Reddington. We have really high stakes, but we also have some of the most fun we’ve had, as well.”

We all know that Red is only in jail because it is advantageous to him.  It's just yet another long con.

1 hour ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

We all know that Red is only in jail because it is advantageous to him.  It's just yet another long con.

Legitimately hope Red comes out on top, but I fear that TPTB think that Lizzie is the "hero" and will be the last man standing. Feh. 

On 1/5/2019 at 1:04 AM, milkyaqua said:

2 hours ago, tljgator said:

As we've learned from previous seasons, these tidbits from the EP are usually all build up to no pay off.

• Love 3

CarterMatt Newsletter January 5, 2019: 

The Blacklist interview(Part 2):

Jon Bokenkamp on that big Reddington betrayal

CarterMatt – Let me just start with this — did you actually film at the UN, or did your team just do a really good job pretending?

Jon Bokenkamp – I love that you asked that. We went down the road to shoot at the UN, which is of course [where the show films] in New York City and broke story that would involve us shooting there. We had some great conversations with some lovely people to try to make that work but, at the end of the day, I think some of the subject matter and perhaps the perspectives made it somewhat uncomfortable. Unfortunately, our invite was withdrawn.

And so, we scrambled to pull off the best version we could — we did not shoot at the UN, but it’s the work of our New York production crew, who are hands-down the best in the business, to create some of that stuff and use some visual effects and practical sets and location. We weren’t there, but I still think that Spader’s speech at the empty General Assembly was one for the books.

That’s gotta be one of my favorite Spader speeches in a really long time. What was the impetus behind that and the Cary Grant story?

Well, here’s the funny thing — in North by Northwest they were also not allowed to shoot at the UN and Hitchcock stole a shot. There was a little bit of guerilla filmmaking back then that we may have been inspired by.

Once we hit on the idea that we might be going to the UN, we knew that we had to have Spader give a speech. We knew that it wouldn’t be to a room full of people but in the room, breaking the story, there was a whole act where it just read ‘Red gives a UN speech.’ We didn’t know what it would be (laughs), but we knew that he would find his way into that room.

That story came about thanks to James and [executive producer John] Eisendrath bouncing this thing back and forth, writing it and re-writing it. It’s so weird and strange and at the same time it’s poignant and there’s a lovely message that he has — he’s talking about a kinder world and making it a better place! It’s dressed up in a perverted, strange way, but I think his message is ultimately a poignant one.

This obviously leads to the big twist where Liz gets Reddington locked up in jail, and she weighs this decision in a big way. They did just save a lot of lives at the UN, but in the end, this was still the result. Why did you decide to have Reddington behind bars at this point?

It feels like there’s been a real power shift in the show with what she’s learned, what she knows that Reddington doesn’t know she knows. We’re entering new territory where, as our point-of-view character, Liz can start to unravel, at a grassroots level, with what’s going on here. By virtue of what she did last season, we now have the biggest turn of our series. Even though we know Reddington better than we have, we still know nothing about him at all.

She’s in the driver’s seat, and I think that was the thing that was the most interesting to us. We have Elizabeth Keen in a very powerful place, sidelining Reddington, who is not very good at being sidelined. It makes for a very good game of cat-and-mouse as we continue to unravel this story.

How is Reddington going to react to this situation? Is there some sort of magical Batphone that they can call him on so that he can help with Blacklisters?

There might be something very akin to the magical Batphone (laughs). I think an incarcerated version of Reddington is something that feels really organic to the story and as we stumbled upon it, it felt like ‘how have we not arrived here yet? How has this guy not been in prison and we haven’t dramatized that at all?’. Six seasons in, we have a new first — we’re seeing Reddington navigate this sort of system and it strips away his superpowers in terms of the people and resources that he has. It puts him on his heels, but if anyone is going to be put on their heels and embrace it, it would be Reddington.

In a corner of his mind, Reddington is probably fine with where all of this is going and enjoys the solitude of his cell. Maybe he’ll find some time to mediate and read some books; he’ll embrace this new chapter.

We saw some tension between the Task Force [and the officers and attorneys] in New York over Reddington’s capture. Is that something that will continue?

Remember, the Task Force doesn’t even know that 1) Red’s not Red and 2) that Liz is behind his arrest. There are great stories that are going to come out of the Task Force. Every person on the Task Force has a unique and specific perspective about how they feel about the way things are unfolding. We have some great, interpersonal stories this year. We have some small stories that are very personal and are going to be great to watch unfold.

So finally, what’s going to happen with Aram and Samar; is there a wedding this year?

A Blacklist wedding — well, those don’t typically go well (laughs).

No, they don’t.

Those two are so fantastic. I remember when we saw Aram touching Samar’s hand in episode 205. I felt like ‘oh my God, that’s such an unexpected and great relationship.’ We’re entering uncharted waters here — he proposed at the end of the season and she has just come out of this traumatic near-death experience.

We have a beautiful and twisted and surprising love story between Samar and Aram that is going to change the dynamic of the show in a very-big way.

Edited by VinceW

Promises, promises...  Blacklist Boss Teases 'Biggest Answers to Date' in Red-Centric Two-Parter

“[The two-parter] dives right into that central question of Red’s past and his identity — where he came from, how he came to be, his relationship to Katarina Rostova and beyond,” Bokenkamp tells TVLine, adding that Agent Ressler’s investigation into Katarina’s whereabouts “takes us into uncharted territory.”

“We will be unpacking the biggest answers in our series to date,” he teases.

And while Bokenkamp won’t definitively say if Friday’s two-parter will at last reveal who Reddington really is, he strongly hints that a big revelation could be in store: “I’ll let the episodes speak for themselves.”

2 hours ago, milkyaqua said:

Bokenkamp et al, swear they've know where this story was going from the beginning and it's playing out just how they want it.  They promise they aren't pulling it out of their butts...

The Blacklist Bosses Break Down the Finale's Major Cliffhanger, Tease More Answers to Come About Red's Identity

Blacklist’ Finale: Captive Audience Awaiting Next Season Now Includes Red Reddington

I'm not sure who this 'captive audience' is that they speak of in that 2nd article.

I can't believe they have managed to drag out this show to 7 seasons, and we still don't know who Reddington is and what his actual relationship is to Keen.

Apparently the writer of the TV line article reads this forum or similar forums -- they actually asked the showrunners if Reddington was really Katarina Rostova.

• LOL 1
(edited)
On 5/17/2019 at 8:53 PM, milkyaqua said:

They promise they aren't pulling it out of their butts... 

LOL. Well, they're pulling it out of somewhere, and it's not anywhere that makes logical sense. I continue to vote "butts."

On 5/17/2019 at 11:54 PM, ottoDbusdriver said:

Apparently the writer of the TV line article reads this forum or similar forums -- they actually asked the showrunners if Reddington was really Katarina Rostova.

Some rando chick stabs Red after he kisses her in the dark. The Red-is-really-Katarina storyline can still happen. Seems like a few seasons ago there was some storyline about memory erasing.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 1
On 5/17/2019 at 11:54 PM, ottoDbusdriver said:

I can't believe they have managed to drag out this show to 7 seasons, and we still don't know who Reddington is and what his actual relationship is to Keen.

And that anyone anywhere actually cares. That's the amazing part to me.

• Love 1

The Blacklist Renewed for Season 8

The show is currently in the midst of Season 7, which resumes Friday, March 20. In December’s fall finale, Liz’s biological mother faked her own death and formed an unexpected alliance with Liz, which neither woman plans to reveal to Red when the show returns.

The Blacklist will also welcome Nip/Tuck alum Joely Richardson for an “intense” Season 7 episode, in which she’ll play Red’s former flame Cassandra Bianchi.

Edited by milkyaqua
  • Love 3

From TV Line, Anthony Michael Hall on Blacklist:

The Brat Pack is getting back together — sort of: Anthony Michael Hall has landed a role on James Spader’s NBC drama The Blacklist, ETOnline.com reports.

Hall will appear in multiple Season 7 episodes as Donald Ressler’s (Diego Klattenhoff) estranged brother, Robby, who leads his sibling to secrets long thought buried away. He makes his debut in the April 24 episode.

Although Hall (The Breakfast Club, Sixteen Candles) and Spader (Pretty in Pink) gained fame in iconic ’80s John Hughes films, they never shared the screen. Hall’s TV credits include The Dead Zone, Murder in the First, Psych and Awkward.

9 hours ago, Such A Flirt said:

Yeah, how are they going to deal with that? Did they already have some episodes in the can?

Last we were told, Dom was in the hospital on life support after whatever it was that happened at his cabin, and it wasn't known if he would survive. It was mentioned the episode after or a couple episodes after the cabin was attacked. This show was the first thing I thought of when I heard the sad news about Mr. Dennehy.

• Love 3

I doubt that Dom's death could be written in to the story line at this late date, but I hope they at least give Brian Dennehy a memorial card at the end of an episode.  That is, if the writers even remember Dom's existence.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Dowel Jones said:

I doubt that Dom's death could be written in to the story line at this late date, but I hope they at least give Brian Dennehy a memorial card at the end of an episode.  That is, if the writers even remember Dom's existence.

I think I read that there will be one last episode with Brian Dennehy.  They said episode 19 which is suppose to be the season finale.

• Useful 1
25 minutes ago, Just my 2 cents said:

I think I read that there will be one last episode with Brian Dennehy.  They said episode 19 which is suppose to be the season finale.

Yeah, I read they're going to use existing footage for his final appearance. Apparently it is his final acting appearance of any kind. *sigh*

• Love 1

From TVLine, The Blacklist's Makeshift Finale to Mix Animation With Live-Action Scenes:

The drama’s makeshift Season 7 finale (airing Friday, May 15 at 8/7c) will include scenes with graphic novel-style animation, NBC announced Tuesday, as a workaround to the pandemic-induced production shutdown.

The show was halfway through filming Episode 19 — out of a 22-episode order — when production was suspended. As series creator Jon Bokenkamp told the Associated Press, he and executive producer John Eisendrath began to joke about turning the episode into “an old-school radio broadcast where we put the image of a crackling fire or a radio up on TV and the actors could voice it.”

Then, inspired by the digital comics that already exist for The Blacklist, Bokenkamp and Eisendrath decided to make the remaining material animated, resulting in a finale that will feature both live-action and animated scenes.

Cast members recorded dialogue from their homes for the animated sequences, while editors and animators also completed their work remotely.

• Love 1
(edited)

I wonder if the digital comics make more sense than the show.

The Blacklist: Laura Sohn Promoted to Series Regular for Season 8:

Though The Blacklist was among more than 100 series to shut down production during the coronavirus pandemic, there are still two episodes left in Season 7. First up is “Roy Cain” (Friday, 8/7c), in which Dembe lands in a dangerous situation and Red considers choosing a successor after experiencing a health scare. (The hour also serves as The Blacklist‘s 150th episode.)

Edited by milkyaqua
(edited)

The Blacklist got a shoutout on 'Last Week Tonight with John Oliver', though probably not one that they wanted, during a segment about police unions.

John Oliver: "Take it a step slower". He just basically threatened inaction against "the killers" as a bargaining chip. Besides that being morally reprehensible it is a tool that most labor unions simply don't have at their disposal. When the unions representing TV writers fight for their members, the worst thing that they can threaten the public with is fewer episodes of 'Bull' or 'The Blacklist' or this show, and that is just not a compelling argument.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • LOL 2

I continue to be so disappointed in Laila Robins as Katarina. When the whole series now rests upon the idea that Katarina can be persuasive enough to get Liz to trust her over Reddington, it sucks when you don't have an actually charming actress playing Katarina. I mean, don't get me wrong, we've seen Liz make moronic decisions for seven seasons now, but I'd still prefer her to have more of a good reason for betraying Reddington. 

• Love 3

I don't think Liz can be anything other than moronic.  She's been doing dumb things throughout the run of this show so why should she stop now whether or not you believe mommy dearest?  Red's infatuation with Liz has never made sense so why should the rest of it.  I don't believe anything Bokenkamp says because he's making this up as he goes along.  Just enjoy it for the fantasy/distraction it provides because looking for logic or cohesive storytelling is a fool's errand.

The Blacklist EPs Tease Season 8 Tribute to Clark Middleton: Glen Will Get 'Sweet, Affectionate' Sendoff

One real-life event that will not appear in The Blacklist‘s eighth season is the coronavirus pandemic, which the EPs have opted not to write in at all — in part because the show has already concocted its own (fictional) health crises in the past.

“We were like, ‘Ugh, nobody wants to think about this.’ We’re trying to escape COVID, not lean into it,” Bokenkamp confirms. “This might sound silly, but we’ve done our versions of crazy viruses and shutting down cities. Not that we’ve done COVID specifically, but it felt like we’ve been there a little bit. We’re trying to stay away from it.”

“When people watch the show, like any show, most of it is wish fulfillment,” Eisendrath adds. “And I think everybody has the same wish at the moment, which is to live pandemic-free.”

Edited by milkyaqua

The Return....

Called "16 Ounces," the winter premiere of The Blacklist Season 8 will air on Friday, January 22 at 8 p.m. ET on NBC. It will have to pick up on the fall final that saw the deaths of both Dom and Katarina, with Red shooting Katarina right in front of Liz, who had sworn to Red that their relationship would be over if he killed her mother. Blacklist executive producer John Eisendrath already confirmed that a war is coming between Liz and Red

The Blacklist Renewed for Season 9

Raymond Reddington isn’t hanging up his fedora just yet. NBC’s crime drama The Blacklist has been renewed for a ninth season, the network announced Tuesday.

Across this season’s first three episodes (which spanned a nine-week holiday break!), The Blacklist is averaging 3.5 million total viewers and a 0.4 demo rating (in Live+Same Day numbers), down 19 and 28 percent from its Season 7 averages. With DVR playback and such factored in, however, NBC reports that the first two episodes amassed a 1.2 demo rating.

The Hate Watch Gods are cruel & fickle... I committed to Season 8, confident that reason and sanity would deny renewal... I feel Miserable..

Do you hear the people sing?

Singing the songs of angry men

It is the music of a people

That have been tricked again

One year more!

Another day, another Done With Me

This never ending road to Futility

Come with me

Where plots will never bind you

All your sense

And wits, at last behind you

Change the channel