Type keyword(s) to search

The Blacklist in the Media

• Start Topic

Netflix Acquires ‘The Blacklist’ For $2 Million An Episode

EXCLUSIVE: In what is believed to be the biggest subscription video-on-demand deal for a TV series, I’ve learned that Netflix has acquired the rights to hit NBC drama The Blacklist from Sony Pictures TV in a deal that will net $2 million per episode. I hear Season 1 of the series starring James Spader will debut on the streaming service next weekend. As for future seasons, Netflix usually makes them available shortly after the season finales.

Netflix Acquires ‘The Blacklist’ For $2 Million An Episode

EXCLUSIVE: In what is believed to be the biggest subscription video-on-demand deal for a TV series, I’ve learned that Netflix has acquired the rights to hit NBC drama The Blacklist from Sony Pictures TV in a deal that will net $2 million per episode. I hear Season 1 of the series starring James Spader will debut on the streaming service next weekend. As for future seasons, Netflix usually makes them available shortly after the season finales.

With the exception of James Spader' s Red Reddington, the rest of the show sucks !!  Why would they pay so much for such a shitty show ?

• Love 1

I can't really disagree, although some weird combo of Spader + ... whatever? ... seems to keep people tuning in. Netflix execs must have seen some compelling demographic data to indicate that it's going to get streamed like crazy and bring in subs. 

Edited by kieyra

I think it's interesting that Lizzie doesn't seem to be in those ads in any significant way. I'm really hoping this means there will be much, much less of the tuning in to watch James Spader mentor the phone book aspect of the show this season.

Edited by Julia
  • Love 2

With the exception of James Spader' s Red Reddington, the rest of the show sucks !!  Why would they pay so much for such a shitty show ?

I'm just confused as to what this means.  NBC is going to air it first, NBC will probably put it on its website, and then Netflix will also play it?  I don't see how being the third viewing option would benefit Netflix.  I mean NBC is pretty much free to everyone, unless the point will be to have commercial free viewing?  

Oh well, I already have netflix so I'm a happy camper, just a confused one.

Edited by RealityGal

Thanks for the information, $2 million per episode for a show that has aired on network TV does seem like a lot

A lot of people like to binge watch, as opposed to viewing on a weekly basis. And only on Netflix is The Blacklist available that way. The NBC site only has a few episodes at a time, they don't post the whole season.

I guess there is a market for network shows being shown on Netflix, after being shown live, then in syndication.

I use Netflix for binge watching all the time, sometimes for shows I've already seen. Recently, I watched all 11 seasons of Frasier and am currently on season 8 of Cheers. And I'll also use it for catch-up on shows that I initally missed, like The Blacklist. I binge watched season 1 a couple weeks ago and am all caught up and ready for season 2.

A lot of people like to binge watch, as opposed to viewing on a weekly basis. And only on Netflix is The Blacklist available that way. The NBC site only has a few episodes at a time, they don't post the whole season.

Over the summer, my daughter-in-law watched Once Upon A Time on Netflix, from season one until last season. She is 23.  My guys, hubby and three sons, 23, 20 and 17, also watched My Name Is Earl, after it went into syndication. They had never watched when it was on before being cancelled.  And yet last spring, they also watched it on Netflix, from season one until the last season. Every evening they would watch several episodes. So I guess there is a market for network shows being shown on Netflix, after being shown live, then in syndication. 

Oh...no doubt.  I binge watch shows all the time...currently Criminal Minds, and its how I got introduced to Revenge.  I just thought  $2 million per episode seemed a little high once it had aired because I would think it would have thought most people would have watched it when it first aired, or would have watched on NBC.com.  I would understand paying a premium for a cable show like MadMen, because some people don't have cable, but everyone should have network TV.  But I understand the binge watching model, it just seemed like a lot of money per show.  But of course, Netflix often knows something I don't, which is why they are so successful!

• Love 1

I think it also has to do with HBO and the networks behind Hulu ramping up to go after the Netflix audience. 

Oh, I hadn't thought of that.  Its true, although I now have Netflix for a variety of reasons.  First, there is the fact that I love the selection of Watch Instant options.  Second, I love, love, love House of Cards and Orange Is The New Black.  Not only do I love the shows, but I sort of want to encourage and reward Netflix for bringing such interesting programming, and the binge watch formula.  I mean, the weekend House of Cards comes out, I plan to be sitting alone in a dark room, in sweatpants ordering pizzas.  Third, if I'm ever really in the mood to, I can always re-add DVD's to my plan and I don't think thats a thing with Hulu.

But I totally understand why Netflix would worry about Amazon, Hulu and HBO coming after them.  I wonder if its an exclusive deal for the streaming rights

Exclusive: NBC's The Blacklist Casts the Villain For Its Super Bowl Episode

From that article:

"Perlman will appear as Luther Braxton, a meticulous thief who plans his international heists over the course of several months or years. The ruthless baddie creates great diversions and chaos to get what he wants — that is, until he faces off with Red Reddington"

That sounds like the exact same M.O. as the Scimitar, except

Braxton is a thief

and the Scimitar was an assassin.

Are they already recycling episode plots ?

Edited by stacey
Spoiler tags

Diego and Ryan were at the Macy's Parade. They were interviewed for a minute, didn't give anything away. Ryan was asked about Tom, all he said was that he was alive. Ryan's going to Diego's house for Thanksgiving, which is cute. 

Hi new here. Does anyone know where to find season two online? I just finished S1 on Netflix, and I have some eps in my DVR Of S2. I need to find (free if possible) S2 eps 1--4.

Thanks ! Love this show!

Just to make life as confusing as humanly possible, season 2 Episodes 4-8 are on Hulu and on the NBC site, but as far as I know 1-3 are only available for $1.99 each from iTunes and Amazon (until the season ends and they go on Netflix).

Unsurprisingly, the Super Bowl lead-in didn't help ratings for the regular timeslotat all.

The only scripted show this century that actually got a boost was Grey's Anatomy.

Edited by jjjmoss

Considering that Scandal is getting torn to shreds on their forum, NBC might be prudent to re-evaluate the timeslot at the end of the season. ABC might just give away the timeslot by themselves- that, and judging by the last two episodes, The Blacklist might actually turn into a viable alternative.

From TV Guide:  The Blacklist: Are Tom and Liz Made for Each Other?

Are the folks at TV Guide high ?  The writer of that article seems to think there is still a spark there between Tom and Lizzie -- WTF ?

Then again, maybe Lizzie truly is that dumb.

Then again, maybe Lizzie truly is that dumb.

As Lizzie would say, "Duh."

Interesting that they're retconning the Lizzie from the pilot as a "sweet FBI ingenue."

• Love 1

"He wants her to divulge all of the information about her life ever since she met Red. It becomes this cat-and-mouse [game] in which she tries to keep as many secrets about the task force that she can.... It becomes a very interesting psychological thriller between Liz and the judge as to how she's going to get herself out of this."

Come again?  I think she saw a different edit than I did.

Edited by DEM
  • Love 3

"...a very interesting psychological thriller between Liz and the judge..."

I think they should have coached her on her talking points a little more thoroughly. 

ETA

uh, yeah. From an article linked in the spoiler thread:  "He's going to have reassure her faith in who he is."

Edited by Julia
  • Love 1

From those photos, it looks like Megan Boone finally grew her hair long so that she was finally able to ditch that horrible wig from last season.  

Also good to see that Dembe is back.

I think they're better extensions. Her hair does look more natural than the wig.

(edited)

While The Blacklist bounced off its series lows from last week, it came in 3rd in its timeslot being beaten by Scandal and a repeat of the Big Bang Theory in both ratings and total viewers.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2015/05/15/tv-ratings-thursday-scandal-the-blacklist-the-vampire-diaries-greys-anatomy-reign-finales-up-soft-start-for-wayward-pines/404244/

ETA:  Comparing the finale ratings from Season 1 and 2, it's a substantial drop off since the Season 1 finale, confirming that the move to Thursday nights  wasn't necessarily a good one.

18-49 Rating    18-49 share   Total viewers (millions)

Season 1 finale:           2.7                  8                    10.87

Season 2 finale:           1.5                  5                      7.26

Even the Season 2 fall finale did a lot better -- 2.5 rating, 7 share, 9.7 million total viewers

Edited by ottoDbusdriver

I thought Monday was the perfect place for The Blacklist. For some reason it seems like a Monday show, not a Thursday show. I hope they change it back. Mom was changed from Monday to Thursday also and that needs to go back to Monday. Does anyone else have days of the weeks feelings about shows?

Unfortunately for next season this show will stay on Thursday, with the new Heroes show being its lead-in. Perhaps I should give that a chance since Heroes should have a good, built-in audience, although I'd like to think The Blacklist, after two seasons, should be able to stand on its own. Hopefully this will allow it to rebuild its audience, and I hope that if the show still stumbles NBC will change it back to Monday- it worked so well with The Voice so, if it wasn't broke, why'd they try to fix it?

Thursday is an important bloc of programming simply because it's the day before Friday- when all the new movies get released. Since all the networks have studio relationship, it's important to get eyeballs on Thursday, so that networks can generate the most advertising for those new movies.

So a move to Thursday indicates the network believes a show can generate those eyeballs...of course, ABC so thoroughly dominates the night that I'm not sure why other networks even try to compete with "current" shows.