Type keyword(s) to search

The View: Week of 11/21/2022

falltime
  • Start Topic

Monday, Nov. 21 – Rev Run (“Hip Hop Nutcracker”)

Tuesday, Nov. 22 – Jonathan Majors and Glen Powell (“Devotion”)

Wednesday, Nov. 23 – Kumail Nanjiani (“Welcome to Chippendales”); Patti LaBelle (“A New Orleans Noel”)

Thursday, Nov. 24 (ENCORE BROADCAST - OAD: 10/19/22) Danielle Deadwyler, Jalyn Hall, Sean Patrick Thomas and director Chinonye Chukwu (“Till”); Amber Tamblyn (author, “Listening in the Dark”)

Friday, Nov. 25(ENCORE BROADCAST - OAD: 11/2/22) Matthew Perry (author, “Friends, Lovers, and the Big Terrible Thing: A Memoir”)

• Thanks 2

The discussion of the shooting and wave of anti LGBTQ+ rhetoric is ironic in light of the recent comments by a former host. I wonder if she is on their minds.  Whoopi certainly sounds like she’s talking directly to Candace.

My very red state’s senators split their votes.  The one who voted yes was just re-elected a couple weeks ago.

• Sad 2
  • Love 2
17 minutes ago, Haleth said:

The discussion of the shooting and wave of anti LGBTQ+ rhetoric is ironic in light of the recent comments by a former host. I wonder if she is on their minds.  Whoopi certainly sounds like she’s talking directly to Candace.

Whoopi could talk directly to Candace till she is blue in the face and Candace would just smile and say as a Christian..........

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Love 8
52 minutes ago, Oneofem said:

Can't The Viewrunners come up with any more interesting topics than intrafamily recipe disputes in this time of national & international upheaval?  Can't take much more Reddit asininity.

I think the View (the producers and whoever picks the hot topics) have a low opinion of their audience.  I think they think we can only handle a few serious topics.  Barbara Walters back in the day also had a low opinion of us.  She once compared us to Walmart shoppers.  She didn't mean it as a compliment.

• Like 2
  • Sad 3
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, Oneofem said:

Can't The Viewrunners come up with any more interesting topics than intrafamily recipe disputes in this time of national & international upheaval?  Can't take much more Reddit asininity.

The most ridiculous part is that that story is old.  I read it somewhere like, a year ago?  And, as always, most of those Reddit stories are made up, so giving them any kind of coverage is dumb.   

• Applause 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:

Barbara Walters back in the day also had a low opinion of us.

She also had a habit of turning to the audience, mid-interview, to explain some rudimentary fact.  Like when she was interviewing a madam, and the madam used the term "john".  BW turned to the audience and said "A john is a term used by pwositutes to wefer to a customer."  Gee thanks Babs!  I never woulda guessed.

15 hours ago, Oneofem said:

Can't The Viewrunners come up with any more interesting topics than intrafamily recipe disputes in this time of national & international upheaval? 

Well, they have to Sara something to talk about.

• Sad 1
  • LOL 5
51 minutes ago, sugarbaker design said:

She also had a habit of turning to the audience, mid-interview, to explain some rudimentary fact.  Like when she was interviewing a madam, and the madam used the term "john".  BW turned to the audience and said "A john is a term used by pwositutes to wefer to a customer."  Gee thanks Babs!  I never woulda guessed.

Well, they have to Sara something to talk about.

is the misspelling intentional? did bw talk that way?

sara is able to talk about more sophisticated topics.  the show just seems to want her to deal with less serious topics.  and the stupid deal segments at the end of the show.

• Like 3

I had checked into the opening of yesterday's show since I was hopeful Joy might be moderating, but unfortunately Whoopi was back already. And Ana wasn't there either? With Sara becoming more and more gross (going by today's show), too, that makes it even less likely I'd ever watch Monday's.

Joy's comments about the Chrisleys were 👏-worthy. So true.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, cinsays said:

is the misspelling intentional? did bw talk that way?

Barbara seemed to have a slight speech impediment* that affected how she pronounced certain words. Gilda's skits on SNL exaggerated it, but not by that much, IMO. 

* I've heard similar pronunciation issues with people who are speaking in a language that isn't native to them, so impediment might not be the right term.

• Like 1
58 minutes ago, TheGreenKnight said:

I had checked into the opening of yesterday's show since I was hopeful Joy might be moderating, but unfortunately Whoopi was back already. And Ana wasn't there either? With Sara becoming more and more gross (going by today's show), too, that makes it even less likely I'd ever watch Monday's.

Joy's comments about the Chrisleys were 👏-worthy. So true.

When Sara implied that Rep. Omar background as a Muslim immigrant made her unfit for her role on the foreign relations committee, loved how Whoopi and Sunny brought up that her immigrant background actually gave her a different perspective (in a positive way) which is why she should remain that committee.   

Was Joy implying that SWSNBN was the leak, when she said that whoever used to leak stories to the press was no longer there?...LOL

Edited by After7Only
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 7
19 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:

I think the View (the producers and whoever picks the hot topics) have a low opinion of their audience.  I think they think we can only handle a few serious topics.  Barbara Walters back in the day also had a low opinion of us.  She once compared us to Walmart shoppers.  She didn't mean it as a compliment.

In fairness this show was never designed to be a heavy news discussion show.  It always has had lighter topics.  Frankly if I want a serious news talk show, I’d go elsewhere where they have actual experts and analysts. I come here for some news stuff but also some lighter topics.  

• Like 3
  • Love 3
8 minutes ago, sugarbaker design said:

Did she actually say that?

I thought that she said that she was uncomfortable about Omar being on the Foreign Relations committee based on her statement last year equating the United States (and Israel) with known terrorist organizations. (I don't know if she apologized for that, with or without Pelosi's input). As other panelists said, that opinion may depend on where you come from and your perspective, but then Foreign Relations may not be the right place for you, so she would be better on other committees. 

• Thanks 2
54 minutes ago, debbie311 said:

I am obsessed with Joy's jacket today.  Love it!  I don't know if she has a new stylist or what, but she has really been looking great this season.

I didn’t see her walk out to see it was a jacket but I had it in a tunic and gave it away even though I loved it.   I’m liking Whoopi’s top too. She has some attractive  ones . 

31 minutes ago, KittyQ said:

I thought that she said that she was uncomfortable about Omar being on the Foreign Relations committee based on her statement last year equating the United States (and Israel) with known terrorist organizations. (I don't know if she apologized for that, with or without Pelosi's input). As other panelists said, that opinion may depend on where you come from and your perspective, but then Foreign Relations may not be the right place for you, so she would be better on other committees. 

She did use that an as an example but then said that statement and her beliefs could have been influenced by her Somali immigrant background (which is why I used the word implied).    Sunny and Whoopi then argued that Omar's statement was nuanced and that her background as an immigrant provides a different perspective that shouldn't exclude her from being on the foreign relations committee.  She is not MTG who believes in space lasers and QAnon.   

• Like 3
  • Applause 2
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, athousandclowns said:

I didn’t see her walk out to see it was a jacket but I had it in a tunic and gave it away even though I loved it.   I’m liking Whoopi’s top too.

I liked Alyssa's dress also today.  That color looks good on her.

• Like 1

The one audience member who was swooning over the guys in the taped interview wasn’t wearing her mask properly. The top of it was under her nose.

The point is to cover your mouth and nose. Otherwise why bother?

Instead of wasting time talking about who on the panel couldn’t keep a secret, they could have added those minutes to the identity theft interview. Which only garnered two to three minutes.

Also? Shut up Sara and Alyssa.

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

The one audience member who was swooning over the guys in the taped interview wasn’t wearing her mask properly. The top of it was under her nose.

The point is to cover your mouth and nose. Otherwise why bother?

This annoys me to no end when I see people do this.

• Applause 6
  • Love 1

Is it in their contracts that they’re not allowed to diss MM or is it just a case of civility? Because they missed a prime opportunity to lay into her today when they were discussing how Dr. Fauci became a scapegoat for the right wingers to attack.

Edited by TimWil
  • Like 2
  • Applause 5
  • Love 1
26 minutes ago, TimWil said:

Is it in their contracts that they’re not allowed to diss MM or is it just a case of civility? Because they missed a prime opportunity to lay into her today when they were discussing how Dr. Fauci became a scapegoat for the right wingers to attack.

I feel bad for the panelists, we were only subjected to SWMNBM when we watched the show.  They had to put up with her bullshit during staff meetings, in the makeup room and promotional tours.  They had to fake smiles and concern in case whatsherface threw a temper tantrum.  Can you imagine what they had to put up with?  I don't blame them for hardly every mentioning that asshole.  At this point the mere mention of her name would be a trigger.

• Applause 7
  • Love 6
48 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

I agree with Joy. If I'm hosting Thanksgiving dinner the leftovers stay at my house unless I offer them to someone.  

I kept waiting for someone to mention Thanksgiving dinners often involve others carrying in their special dishes. I'll be hosting 34 family members tomorrow. Most have their specialties down to an art form. I provide a couple of turkeys, a spiral ham, persimmon pudding, rolls, drinks, and some odds and ends. And I keep containers ready because I'm as eager as anyone to have some leftovers to freeze. Also there is always someone (or more) who can't be out and about for Thanksgiving some some folks deliver to them. Surely it isn't that unusual. 

Edited by MMEButterfly
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Applause 2
  • Love 2

This is a shallow observation, but after watching Tuesday's show, I can't help but wonder why a beautiful woman like Sunny is letting her over the top, voluminous hair to overshadow her face. Her hair takes center stage when I look at her, and I wonder why she wears it that way.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1

Kenz, meet me in the shallow end - I’m also curious as to whether all that overpowering hair is rooted or is it an unnecessary “piece?”  If the latter, her hairdresser needs help!

Loved it when (near the beginning) someone asked why Ron DeSantis called Dr Fauci an elf, and Whoopi or Joy replied, has the Floridian looked in the mirror?  Perfect!  Smirking DeSanctimonious (tm YouKnowWho, an actual bon mot😳) strongly resembles one of Snow White’s 7 cartoon buddies.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

Yet more gun deaths and the question was whether to report a person with a gun in a FREE, open carry place like Virginia.  Soon we’ll be stuck at home, afraid to shop, go to school, take in a movie, walk the dog, etc., but celebrating our liberty to bear arms.  Are we nuts?  When will the majority truly rule in this country?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Fire 4
  • Love 8
On 11/22/2022 at 11:55 AM, After7Only said:

She did use that an as an example but then said that statement and her beliefs could have been influenced by her Somali immigrant background (which is why I used the word implied).    Sunny and Whoopi then argued that Omar's statement was nuanced and that her background as an immigrant provides a different perspective that shouldn't exclude her from being on the foreign relations committee.  She is not MTG who believes in space lasers and QAnon.   

Whether Sunny and Whoopi think that Omar's statement was nuanced or not (?), it still sounded like a person who isn't completely committed to the United States' foreign policy, so that might make her more likely to be a hindrance when developing cohesive responses on the foreign relations front. MTG is probably also a non-starter there (or anywhere else), but the topic was about Ilhan Omar. Some other committee might be the right fit for Omar, though. 

On 11/22/2022 at 1:44 PM, After7Only said:

When Sara implied that Rep. Omar background as a Muslim immigrant made her unfit for her role on the foreign relations committee, loved how Whoopi and Sunny brought up that her immigrant background actually gave her a different perspective (in a positive way) which is why she should remain that committee.   

Was Joy implying that SWSNBN was the leak, when she said that whoever used to leak stories to the press was no longer there?...LOL

While I agree that she would have a good perspective, she seems too hot headed to be objective.

And let's face it....Reddit is basically the internet version of The View.

I think the show needs to add a male voice to the panel full time. It has helped The talk.

Edited by JAYJAY1979

I observe that AFG is slowly becoming more comfortable with her role. This is good and it is to be expected that she would ease into her high-visibility job. I like how, while she has denounced DT and MT, she owns her Republican affiliation and does not try to soft-pedal it, frequently referring to “my party. I appreciate AFG’s honesty. I hope that Sunny will drop her apparent hostility and can treat AFG as a respected team member. Ana expressed her regret in supporting DT many months ago, and she is not continually held out to hang. I also hope that Ana will more frequently share socially and politically conservative perspectives vs being pleasant. I would love for The View to be bolder and less afraid of mixing it up with differing points of view. I want to be educated intelligently about other perspectives, not just the ones I agree with. I just ask that the panelists express their POV with intelligence and nuance and not in a dogmatic, bible thumper way. I also wish for an equal mix of political views, social views, celeb promo and the fluff needed to satisfy advertisers.

Sadly, WG is not up to the task of either leadership or moderation. This empress wears no clothes. She is fundamentally lazy, too old, too entrenched with special interests, lacking in energy, and too buzzed out. She might be offered one less day of presence in exchange for allowing another panelist to be the permanent moderator. Or to have a status similar to Barbara where she shows up infrequently when she deigns to do this. She might be given some perk such as being the final introduction as “and Whoppi Goldberg.” It is shameful that after 15 years of being the moderator she cannot a.) make simple commercial transitions and b.) mangles the guests’ names. Yes, I know she has dyslexia, but still…a new, out-of-the-gate moderator would be crucified for similar gaffes. These are not gaffes, but fatal flaws, similar to a health professional who cannot take a pulse or an attorney who cannot take a deposition.

For Teta’s consideration:

Have a year-long running theme. Right now, the most likely theme would be “Gun Violence in America.” Shine the light and get to the root of why the mightiest nation on earth which sent people to the moon, cannot prevent its people from gunning down fellow tax-paying citizens, including children. A (male) parent from the Parkland Florida shooting was a great and well-spoken guest on this issue. More of this, please. Bring on some ABC investigative reporters to discuss. This would provide service to viewers. Another theme might be “Mental Illness in America.” A third might be “Immigration in America.” This kind of special coverage might even be Emmy-worthy. Oprah used to have running themes, such as alcoholism, to great acclaim and success. This would work well for The View and provide re-invigoration for a 26-year-old show. And most importantly provide service to viewers.

Consider "pop up" co hosts such as a six week co host for the Christmas season to pep things up. Perhaps this could even be a guy. Here's a consideration: have a Muslim co host for the days of Ramadan. Perhaps, perhaps. perhaps Jewish co hosts for Rosh Hashana and Yom Kippur. A French Co host for Bastille Day (July 14).

Some good general guests co hosts: Lindsey from ABC news. Carefully selected male commentators from time to time. Sports is not The View's wheelhouse but consider guests who are associated with sports: Billie Jean King, Bob Costas, Venus and/or Serena. Sports are increasingly a part of American life and should have a greater presence in The View's bandwidth. Take a different slant: Get Giselle on to discuss how she educated herself about football during the time when she was married to football's GOAT. Get someone to educate The View's viewers about worldwide soccer. 

• Like 3
  • Applause 2
  • Useful 3
3 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

As far as I can recall, she never supported him.

There is also a big difference between supporting him as a candidate & actively going along with, helping & assisting him in his lying to & scamming of the American public.

• Applause 2
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, Welshman in Ca said:
14 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

As far as I can recall, she never supported him.

There is also a big difference between supporting him as a candidate & actively going along with, helping & assisting him in his lying to & scamming of the American public.

Did ANA do that?

14 hours ago, FaginZorro said:

Sadly, WG is not up to the task of either leadership or moderation. This empress wears no clothes. She is fundamentally lazy, too old, too entrenched with special interests, lacking in energy, and too buzzed out.

Whoopi is now 67 years old.  I'm 82.  I have several peer friends and relatives who are able to accept our lot in life--the status quo, change with the times (somewhat), and do not feel the need to be cantankerous EVERY BLEEPIN' DAY!  Whoopi's "too old" has little to do with her age...more with her sense of entitlement.

Or to have a status similar to Barbara where she shows up infrequently when she deigns to do this.

LOVE THIS!  If that can be put into her contract, I doubt if she'd DEIGN much at all.  Problem solved!

Consider "pop up" co hosts such as a six week co host for the Christmas season to pep things up. Perhaps this could even be a guy. Here's a consideration: have a Muslim co host for the days of Ramadan. Perhaps, perhaps. perhaps Jewish co hosts for Rosh Hashana and Yom Kippur. A French Co host for Bastille Day (July 14).

I like this idea...but (maybe) not for six weeks.  Try out your idea for a week--two at the most--to see if it works.  I LOVE-LOVE-LOVE Mario Cantone, but probably not for six weeks.  Special hosts for special seasons, events, breaking news, etc.  And...BRING ON THE GUYS!!

• Like 1
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, Back Atcha said:

Did ANA do that?

I didn't say Anna did it, she was the one who supported him as a candidate & AFG did the other. Sometimes it gets hard to follow stuff but if Anna voted for him then she supported him, someone said Anna didn't support him, while AFG helped & assisted him in his scamming so shouldn't be treated the same as Anna.

Maybe that's as clear as mud as well.

• Wink 1
On 11/24/2022 at 9:54 AM, JAYJAY1979 said:

I think the show needs to add a male voice to the panel full time

If this were to happen I'd be out the door.  The whole point of The View is to bring women to the table.

• Applause 9
  • Love 4

Holiday week, so I only got around to watching Wednesday's show last night, and well... There was a little comment made at the beginning of the show that made me roll my eyes. I'm starting to detest Sara as much as I did Nicolle when she was there nodding along to Whoopi's petty, mean girl jabs against all the people she feels threatened by on any given day.

To the posts above, Ana has never supported him. That's why Ana seems as repulsed by Alyssa as Sunny is most of the time. Last week, I loved when Ana and Joy clocked Alyssa for pretending to care about the character of a candidate when they were talking about someone else as if she doesn't have a known history. Ana didn't even look at her, just rolled her eyes to Joy, lol. Also, that other show has been unwatchable ever since they added male co-hosts (O'Connell in particular), not that it was ever that good to begin with. A show abandoning its original conceit like that is a sign of desperation and just shows how far it's fallen, hopefully The View is never bad off enough to consider the same mistake. Barbara always intended this to be a show for women's views.

Edited by TheGreenKnight
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 3
  • Love 3
16 minutes ago, TheGreenKnight said:

To the posts above, Ana has never supported him. That's why Ana seems as repulsed by Alyssa as Sunny is most of the time.

So you're saying she didn't vote for him?

Either she voted for him which would mean she supported him at the time or she voted for him without really caring about what would happen as long as the other guy lost which is a lot worse than supporting him or she didn't vote for him. By definition I would have thought that voting for someone means you support said person. If she didn't vote for him or voted for the other guy then fair enough, this isn't China or Russia yet & she was free to vote or not.

2 hours ago, Welshman in Ca said:

So you're saying she didn't vote for him?

Well, I remember from the show that aired the day of the election 8 years ago (11/8/16, it might be on YouTube somewhere if you're interested) that she said she voted for his main opponent rather than someone else lower down because polls were so close.

• Useful 2
On 11/21/2022 at 5:41 PM, Oneofem said:

I think they are pre-taping shows to have a long vacation.  So keep it evergreen (good any time).

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Welshman in Ca said:

I didn't say Anna did it, she was the one who supported him as a candidate & AFG did the other. Sometimes it gets hard to follow stuff but if Anna voted for him then she supported him, someone said Anna didn't support him, while AFG helped & assisted him in his scamming so shouldn't be treated the same as Anna.

Maybe that's as clear as mud as well.

It sure is clear as mud.